Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2021, 09:23   #16

Boat: Ta Chiao, CT-56
Re: Cruising from Spain to Turkey during this virus?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
They are just stopping to take break or wait until the wind changes. No freighter involved, they were sailing on their own. The port is far too small for freighters.

An idea is to check for a few days the ais via vessel-tracker in a big marina close to the place you're interested in. You'll get an idea what is moving these days.
Checking AIS via the on-line vessel tracker is a great idea to see actual traffic!

We've used that to see if our own AIS is broadcasting successfully, but that is a great idea to see traffic over there.

Another question: Do most boats over there fly their flags? Here in USA the Trumpsters fly their flags even in their slips and frequently more & larger flags then is appropriate for their vessels. I'm hoping to keep a low profile, i.e., not fly my US flag more than is absolutely necessary, but I am wondering if not having any flag displayed would be more noticeable, i.e., worse than an American one??
I will be happily flying a smaller flag of the host country from a pennant line, off the main mast. But, I'm not in a hurry to display the American flag, anywhere....
Old 09-03-2021, 09:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Another question: Do most boats over there fly their flags?
Yes you have to and you should. You also need to fly the courtesy flag. Not doing so is considered rude.

One important aspect is that Europe mostly left behind the We-Are-The-Greatest-All-Others-Are-Garbage nationalism the USA seem to embrace. Every single country on the continent has been on the losing side at some point more or less recenty. Britain not, but they ****ed up their empire and had to beg the upstarts from America to bail them out, which was just as degrading. So flying your flag is simply a statement "I'm from over there". Nothing more. No politics.

If you see a flag you relate to, you might paddle by and say hello.

Also, Americans aren't that common here, which keeps the discourse civil. I think in the past year I saw more Australians or New Zealanders than Americans.

Flying the province flag (like the Quattro Mori in Sardinia, the Catalan or Basque flag) can be seen positively while in province, but take it down when leaving it. Catalans in Andalusia aren't that popular.

Another advice: Leave the black-and-white view of the world on your side of the Atlantic. Here you might not agree with someone's political views, so don't discuss politics with them. Have a beer with them instead discussing girls or chess. Everyone's winning if you don't have to kill each other over some -ism. Discussing football (the game where player interact with their feet with a ball shaped object) can be tricky, specially with the Spanish, the Brits, the Germans, the Italians and the French - basically 90% of the people you meet.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:14   #18

Quote:
Yes you have to and you should. You also need to fly the courtesy flag. Not doing so is considered rude.

Another advice: Leave the black-and-white view of the world on your side of the Atlantic. Here you might not agree with someone's political views, so don't discuss politics with them. Have a beer with them instead discussing girls or chess. Everyone's winning if you don't have to kill each other over some -ism. Discussing football (the game where player interact with their feet with a ball shaped object) can be tricky, specially with the Spanish, the Brits, the Germans, the Italians and the French - basically 90% of the people you meet.
So, almost all boats do have their flag displayed while entering port?

And, there isn't an Anti-American attitude especially from the Trump / Xenophobic USA, USA, USA nationalism?

We've all heard and seen the videos of Americans screaming at 'foreigners' in USA to 'go home', if they hear an accent. I wonder how that has reverberated over there - are they almost assuming we are like those small minded Trumpsters, or will they approach us with a truly wide open mind?

I know this is a lot to ask, i.e., how are Americans seen in Europe, but we are planning on not just visiting, we are moving there.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:17   #19

Specific guidance as to Croatia's border restrictions:

Entry and Exit Requirements:
Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? No
Entry requirements are subject to change at any time without notice. The Croatian Border Police have final authority regarding entry into Croatia. Visit the Croatian Government’s Ministry of Interior Webpage for detailed information regarding border restrictions. Link: https://mup.gov.hr/uzg-covid/english/286212

The Croatian Government has prohibited all border crossings to protect the population from the COVID-19 disease. Exceptions to the border crossing ban are as follows:
EU citizens, their family members, and EU residents coming directly from EU/EEA member states or regions that on are the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control’s Green List may enter without restriction and without a PCR test. Travelers who have transited other countries/regions not on the Green List must prove at the border crossing that they did not stay in those transit areas.
EU citizens, their family members, and EU residents coming directly from EU/EEA member states or regions that are NOT on the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control’s Green List must present a negative PCR test result that is not older than 48  hours (counting from the time of taking the swab to arriving at the border crossing point) or have the PCR test done immediately upon arrival to Croatia (at their own expense) and self-isolate until they receive a negative test result.  For exceptions to this PCR test requirement, please see the Croatian Government’s Ministry of Interior webpage.
EU citizens, their family members, and EU residents coming from third countries must present a negative PCR test result that is not older than 48 hours (counting from the time of taking the swab to arriving at the border crossing point) or have the PCR test done immediately upon arrival to Croatia (at their own expense) and self-isolate until they receive a negative test result. For exceptions to this testing requirement, please see this Croatian Government’s Ministry of Interior webpage. Travelers coming for less than 12 hours for emergency reasons (ex. funeral, medical, or being summoned by a state entity) do not need a PCR test.
Travelers coming from countries currently covered by Annex I to EU Council Recommendation 2020/912 (namely Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Uruguay, China, and special administrative regions of the People’s Republic of ChinaHong Kong and Macao) may enter without restriction and without a PCR test if they have not been in close contact with an infected person and show no signs of illness. Travelers who have transited other countries/regions must prove at the border crossing that they did not stay in those transit areas.

All other travelers from third countries, including the United States, are prohibited from entering Croatia unless they fall into one of the following categories:
Persons traveling for urgent and essential, personal/family reasons, business reasons or other economic interest (must have a PCR test result not older than 48 hours or take a PCR test immediately upon arriving to Croatia and self-isolate until receiving a negative test result). Entry for tourism is not permitted.
Healthcare workers, health researchers and caregivers for the elderly.
Frontier workers (as well as athletes as stated in the exceptions for passengers within the EU/EEA).
Workers in the commercial transport sector.
Diplomats, staff of international organizations and persons invited by international organizations whose physical presence is necessary for the good functioning of those organizations, military personnel and police officers, as well as humanitarian and civil protection personnel in the performance of their duties.
Passengers in transit (individuals in transit have 12 hours to exit the country, and they must show that they can enter or transit through the neighboring country). Fines in violation of this provision range from 5,000 to 10,000 HRK.
Persons traveling for schooling purposes.
Commercial Seafarers (must have a PCR test result not older than 48 hours or take a PCR test immediately upon arriving to Croatia and self-isolate until receiving a negative test result).

Travelers coming from South Africa or the United Kingdom must provide a negative PCR test no older than 48 hours AND self-isolate for 14 days. The self-isolation period may be shortened if they get tested (at their own expense) after seven days and receive a negative result.
All travelers (regardless of citizenship) who meet the entry conditions are advised to fill out an arrival form at Enter Croatia in advance to facilitate their entry at the border.
Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
With limited exceptions (see entry requirements above), travelers must present a negative PCR test result for SARS-CoV-2 that is not older than 48 hours (counting from the time of taking the swab to arriving at the border crossing point) or have the PCR test done immediately upon arrival to Croatia and remain in self-isolation until they receive a negative test result.  A local test cost ranges from $130 to $300 or more, depending upon the location, and the result can be expected between 24-48 hours.  A test can be arranged at the following locations: COVID-19 Testing Locations in Croatia. After receiving a negative test locally, travelers will need to contact a local epidemiologist to clear them from self-isolation.  Please direct questions regarding this requirement to the Croatian Ministry of Interior via the contact form at the bottom of the web page.
Individuals arriving to the Republic of Croatia for urgent, essential personal or business reasons whose stay is under 12 hours, do not need a PCR test.
Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
Information regarding visa extensions for residents and/or tourists:
U.S. citizens who want to stay in Croatia beyond the permitted 90 days of any rolling 180 day period visa-free status should contact their local police station and apply for a temporary residence permit in order to avoid overstay penalties.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:20   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i think tolerance is the word you are looking for,in europe people generally respect each other and get on with their lives
Old 09-03-2021, 10:33   #21

Quote:
So, almost all boats do have their flag displayed while entering port?
I'd say about 100% or very close to it.
Quote:
And, there isn't an Anti-American attitude especially from the Trump / Xenophobic USA, USA, USA nationalism?
First, we don't need the help of the USA to do stupid xenophobia or nationalism. We're very capable in that department ourselves and we have over 40 flavours compared to your single one. Our flavours of stupidity are far more convoluted than just the colour of the hat.

As to not liking Americans, we don't like the British, German, Russian and most other tourists either. You as Americans don't even qualify as a remarkable nuisance. Is overweight and clueless in shorts and Aloha shirts worse than the nationals reserving the pool-chairs at sunrise with their towels or the drunk over-cooked lobsters barfing on the beach?

About Trump or whatever presidential puppet you're sporting at the moment: Every country has the leaders it deserves.

People might think you're crazy or stupid, they might even not like what you're country is doing, but that's no reason not to be friendly. And there are also quite a few people who prefer the Americans to a collection of other nationalities with awful behaviours, even with all their faults.

Just leave the Us-Against-Them attitude on your side of the Atlantic and you'll be fine. If in doubt, offer a beer and things will go easy.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:35   #22

Boat: Hanse 430e

I am in Preveza Greece right now. What I am writing applies to right now.

Recreational boats cannot enter or stop in Greek ports.

That really means that you need permission from the port police. I have spoken with them and they will not stop you from leaving Greece. To travel within Greek ports you need a valid reason. EG: you are leaving, you are going to a specific location for service which you have docs to prove that. etc.

You can sail through Greece not stopping.

You can enter a Greek port and quarantine for x days. I believe it is 7 days right now but that may change. With that you can then enter other Greek ports but you need a documented plan on where and when as you transit through. This must be approve by Port Police.

This all will change as we move forward, it is just a reflection of now. you may also find that none of this is valid and the port police captain where you are does not know the rules.

I do not care about you're politics or who beat the Ottomans in 1800. Today is now and you need to work with people who do not know all the answers during the pandemic.

My biggest suggestion is that you should hire an agent that speaks Greek.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:35   #23

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Thank you very much! Since we are having our boat shipped to Palma, I looked on-line to see the Spanish entry situation for us to fly into Palma to take delivery of our boat. I saw what you have printed, here.

So, I contacted our shipping company to ask them about this and they said they will send me an 'invitation' to Palma to take delivery of our boat and given that, they said we shouldn't have any problems taking delivery.
Doug
I would double check that since you have to convince Spanish immigration at the Spanish airport and most likely the checkin in the US as well.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think tolerance is the word you are looking for,in europe people generally respect each other and get on with their lives
Sounds great to me!
Thank you,
Doug
Old 09-03-2021, 11:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would double check that since you have to convince Spanish immigration at the Spanish airport and most likely the checkin in the US as well.
And that is why I started this thread - to 'double check' with people who are there.
Of course, I will continue to monitor the governmental posts on this subject, but, I am curious what you are experiencing in reality.
Thank you,
Doug
Old 09-03-2021, 11:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
I am in Preveza Greece right now. What I am writing applies to right now.

Recreational boats cannot enter or stop in Greek ports.

That really means that you need permission from the port police. I have spoken with them and they will not stop you from leaving Greece. To travel within Greek ports you need a valid reason. EG: you are leaving, you are going to a specific location for service which you have docs to prove that. etc.

You can sail through Greece not stopping.

You can enter a Greek port and quarantine for x days. I believe it is 7 days right now but that may change. With that you can then enter other Greek ports but you need a documented plan on where and when as you transit through. This must be approve by Port Police.

This all will change as we move forward, it is just a reflection of now. you may also find that none of this is valid and the port police captain where you are does not know the rules.

I do not care about you're politics or who beat the Ottomans in 1800. Today is now and you need to work with people who do not know all the answers during the pandemic.

My biggest suggestion is that you should hire an agent that speaks Greek.
Thank you very much for your post! Hopefully, by the time we are entering Greek waters, (End of July?), the regulations will have loosened up, a lot.
Thank you,
Doug
Old 09-03-2021, 11:11   #27

Quote:
I'd say about 100% or very close to it.

First, we don't need the help of the USA to do stupid xenophobia or nationalism. We're very capable in that department ourselves and we have over 40 flavours compared to your single one. Our flavours of stupidity are far more convoluted than just the colour of the hat.

Just leave the Us-Against-Them attitude on your side of the Atlantic and you'll be fine. If in doubt, offer a beer and things will go easy.
I will happily just be myself, with my wife and sailboat - and be a 'normal' guy, willing to buy the next round.... :-)
Thank you,
Doug
Old 09-03-2021, 11:12   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising from Spain to Turkey during this virus?!?!

Quote:

One important aspect is that Europe mostly left behind the We-Are-The-Greatest-All-Others-Are-Garbage nationalism the USA seem to embrace. Every single country on the continent has been on the losing side at some point more or less recenty. Britain not, but they ****ed up their empire and had to beg the upstarts from America to bail them out, which was just as degrading. So flying your flag is simply a statement "I'm from over there". Nothing more. No politics.

If you see a flag you relate to, you might paddle by and say hello.

Also, Americans aren't that common here, which keeps the discourse civil. I think in the past year I saw more Australians or New Zealanders than Americans.

Flying the province flag (like the Quattro Mori in Sardinia, the Catalan or Basque flag) can be seen positively while in province, but take it down when leaving it. Catalans in Andalusia aren't that popular.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 09-03-2021, 11:23   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising from Spain to Turkey during this virus?!?!

If headed East I don't get why you first want to go West to Valencia.. just to coast hop along Spain, France and Italy will be complicated the way things are in the EU despite the 'optimism' (unfounded) over the vaccine Rollout.
Better to just go East and your in Sardinia in a couple of days.. Down the coast and hop across to Sicily, follow the South coast and anchor up in Syracuse for a nice Southerly weather window to beam reach to Patra where you can get an agent to handle your passage through the Corinth etc.
Personally I have never bothered with agents but as an American it may be a good idea.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 09-03-2021, 11:29   #30

Reference link:
https://www.ibsalut.es/es/viajar-a-baleares/

Recommend you schedule a meeting with a Spanish consulate or embassy to see if you can obtain a visa. That could take considerable time, start ASAP.

WHY DO YOU TRAVEL TO THE BALEARIC ISLANDS DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC?
The reason for your trip depends on the requirements and possible penalties applicable
Justified travel reasons
What are the justified reasons?

You can travel to the Balearic Islands for any of the following justified reasons:

Assistance to health facilities, services or establishments.
Compliance with labor, professional, business, institutional or legal obligations.
Assistance in colleges, teachers or educational centers, including children's schools.
Return to the place of habitual or family residence.
Assistance or care to the elderly, minors, dependents, people with disabilities or especially vulnerable persons.
Displacement to financial and insurance institutions, or supply stations in neighbouring territories.
Required or urgent actions before public, judicial or notary bodies.
Renewals of permits and/or official documentation, or other non-deferrable administrative procedures.
Conducting non-deferrable official exams or tests.
Cause of force majeure or situation of need.
Activity of similar nature to the previous ones, duly accredited.

What should I submit to justify the reason for the trip?

In a digital health control form (FCS) you must indicate the reason for your trip. At the checkpoint of the airport or port of arrival in the Balearic Islands, the competent authorities will ask you for additional documentation to verify this or you must state the reasons for this. For example, proof of appointment to renew official documentation.

What If I have NOT completed the Health Control Form?
COVID-19 Diagnostic Test Accreditation
Who bears the cost of the COVID-19 diagnostic test?

Reasons for travel NOT justified
What are the REASONS NOT justified?

Sightseeing.

Non-residents who travel to visit non-dependent family members. That is, when travel is not made for assistance or care to the elderly, minors, dependents, persons with disabilities or particularly vulnerable persons
Activities not included in the section on justified grounds

Mandatory COVID-19 diagnostic test accreditation
What happens if I DO NOT credit COVID-19 RT-PCR or TMA?
Who bears the cost of the mandatory COVID-19 diagnostic test?

Tags
cruising, Spain, Turkey