Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2020, 19:38   #211

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: FACT vs OPINION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I dearly hope (and wish) that draconian measures need not be taken to get people to do what is right for their neighbours. But sadly there are always people who think their needs are above the group -- are above the law. This is unfortunately why we need police. If everyone understood that rights come with responsibilities, then we wouldn't need them. But that's not the world we live in.
The above are the words of a tyrant.

Where did you get them?
Old 30-11-2020, 19:41   #212

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
The above are the words of a tyrant.

Where did you get them?

As I said, some can't seem to comprehend such a simple thing:

It's not all about you.
Old 30-11-2020, 19:45   #213

Quote:

It's not all about you.
Bingo!

So quit trying to run everyone else’s life all to appease your irrational fears
if you want to wear a mask or get a shot or whatever, that’s cool, I go for it, just stop trying to dictate others lives ok
Old 30-11-2020, 19:45   #214

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:

It's not all about you.
Get on the train, Its for your safety, Hahahahaha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safety,.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	227951  
Old 30-11-2020, 19:47   #215

Quote:
...That's what...folks don't seem to get. It's not (only) about [them]...
I suggest that Hegel didn't call this type of stuff a struggle to the death merely using poetic poetic license, while modern verbiage such as sadism and masochism perhaps is helpful to recall (on occasion) to recognize if one's chain is being yanked.

Feeding the trolls just gives them more excuse to post misinformation that they cannot recognize as such; perhaps let them return to the ~other echo chambers.
Old 30-11-2020, 20:06   #216
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
But if you're going to claim some global conspiratorial cabal then you need to provide significant and credible evidence.
I don't need to provide anything to substantiate my beliefs. I have posted enough links in the past day to verify that we have been subjected to plenty of brainwashing and propaganda. If I started changing everyone's minds on here I could be in some serious trouble. There have been plenty of warnings over the years starting with FDR. If you are truly interested you will dive down that rabbit hole yourself and take a look. I know that I am arguing in favor of some unpopular opinions here. If you can't recognize and navigate through all of the propaganda (most of you can't), you won't find much. If you do, it won't make you happy. You are better of if you just conform and obey. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 30-11-2020, 20:11   #217

Boat: Outremer 50S

I find the last couple of pages of discussion fascinating when contrasted with data on transmission blocking vaccines (TBVs) for malaria. A TBV does absolutely nothing for the recipient. It does not prevent them from getting the disease. It does not prevent them from dying from the disease. It does, if it is effective, prevent them from spreading the disease to others in the community. It is only effective at preventing a sick person from spreading to other members of the community.

It's a small sample, but in one study of residents of the Peruvian Amazon 99.3% of residents expressed acceptance of a TBV for malaria (source). In more general studies in Africa and South America acceptance of TBVs appears to be >90%. This for a vaccine whose only benefits are for others, none for the recipient.

Contrast that with the discussion here.
Old 30-11-2020, 20:12   #218

https://www.youtube.com/c/JayMyersDocumentaries/videos

I have this on background all the time. Scares the **** out of me.

This guy gives a pretty good overview of all the rabbit holes.

Old 30-11-2020, 20:12   #219
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FACT vs OPINION, Belief, or Prejudice.

People think that I'm stupid, because I ask them for money, in exchange of politically incorrect opinions.
Well, I beg to differ.

An opinion, without substantiating evidence, is mere conjecture, or speculation.
When forming personal convictions, we often interpret factual evidence, through the filter of our values, feelings, tastes, and past experiences. Hence, most statements we make in speaking and writing are assertions of fact, opinion, belief, or prejudice.

We value the right to believe what we think is right, and to express our opinions accordingly.
What is not true, however, is that an opinion is a fact. Alarmingly, most people believe that their opinions are facts.
Wrong.
The truth is, that a fact is a statement, that can be supported to be true or false, by data or evidence.
Indeed, many of our opinions are based on emotions, personal history, and values; all of which can be completely unsupported by meaningful evidence.
The naked truth is this:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But not all opinions are equally valuable.

It takes more information, to make us believe something we don't want to believe, than something we do (cognitive bias & motivated reasoning).
If someone firmly believes some fact to be true, that I just as firmly believe to be false, it is hard for either of us not to see that other person as stupid, disingenuous, both, or worse.
Sometimes, expertise/knowledge/intelligence even magnifies the tendency to engage in politically motivated reasoning. It's almost as though a sophisticated approach to science, gives people more tools, to curate their own sense of reality.

Given our varying cognitive biases, we have to ask ourselves:
not
“Why do they disagree with the science?'
but rather
“Why do they want to disagree with the science?”

A license to ignore reality is a dangerous path to travel, regardless of our political leanings. If facts are somehow devalued, as a currency, it'll be a lot harder to achieve our common goals.
Factual evidence should always trump opinion, belief, or prejudice, in prioritizing the information, that is used to guide policy.

Two writers, who might disagree on many subjects, share a disdainful scorn for Opinions Without Evidence:

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." ~ Christopher Hitchens (Hitchen’s razor)

“Do you know what we call opinion in the absence of evidence? We call it prejudice.” ~ Michael Crichton
'Figures do not lie. But Liars figure.'
Old 30-11-2020, 20:39   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Get on the train, Its for your safety, Hahahahaha
Godwin's law makes an appearance.
Old 30-11-2020, 20:43   #221
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I think (ok... believe) that there us Truth, and it's our job to get as close to it as possible. To get there, we have to seek out facts. And we have to have the intellectual honesty to consider all facts, not just those which support the conclusion we prefer. Of course all facts are not equal in relationship to a given inquiry, so we have to also consider their relevance, when relating or receiving a fact, as part of a study/quest/debate to seek the truth.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

― Harlan Ellison

Put another way, everybody is entitled to the opinion they can argue for.
as related by philosopher Patrick Stokes.
Biden said he values facts over truth.
Old 30-11-2020, 20:48   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post

Old 30-11-2020, 20:48   #223

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Old 30-11-2020, 20:53   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
You say slip of the tongue. I say Freudian slip.
Old 30-11-2020, 21:23   #225
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post

Long Term Consequences of Covid

No one is immune from lasting consequences. According to emerging studies:

18-34: 20%
35-49: 32%
50+: 47%

Overall: 35% The point: the focus on death rates – while still important – should not be your sole concern. Long term, possibly lifelong consequences are VERY important and affect FAR more people, of ALL ages. It has been well said that many of those who did not die may wish that they had. These include:

1. Crippling fatigue
2. Breathlessness
3. Persistent cough
4. Joint pain
5. Muscle aches
6. Tachycardia with exercise
7. Changes in hearing and/or eyesight
8. Headaches
9. Damage to key organs: heart, lungs, kidneys, gastrointestinal system
10. Depression and anxiety
11. Foggy thinking
12. De-realization (feeling you are “not really here”)
13. Tissue invasion (lingering small pockets of infection), eg in nerves (numbness/tingling)
14. Vertigo
15. Increased saliva, runny nose
16. Continuing diarrhea
17. Some evidence of new Type I diabetes, changes in blood sugar
18. Long term damage to the immune system
19. Suspected involvement in new auto-immune diseases
20. Blood vessel damage (due to hypercoagulation)
21. Strokes, psychosis and dementia.

That is just a list of chronic illnesses. Taking the USA as an example 6 out of 10 people already suffer from one chronic illness and 4 out of 10 from 2 or more

https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/r...c-diseases.htm

As you are aware with your background Viruses such as Covid, Flu, Measles etc can have long term side effects. I personally know a few people that that have had Diabetes, Kidney Failure, Septicemia (lost 2 legs and a hand) and a stroke all caused by a Non Covid virus.

It happens all the time, yet we do not have the scare tactics of people jumping up and down about those.

Also how many millions of people will get Covid and not even know or only have mild symptoms and that is it - Throwing around the % above is truly misleading and is used to create fear as they are not based on the true figures of people getting covid which is likely a figure of 10 or probably considerably more to those that actually have the test.