Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 09:47   #406

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: FACT vs OPINION

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
I heard a scientist speaking on the radio and he said 50 percent of what scientists now believe to be true will latter be disproved. So tell me what is true.
The remaining 50%
Old 04-12-2020, 09:47   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Inconclusive sample, too few to matter, suspect provenance, dead link. That's what you provided. Pardon us for being less than convinced.

But congrats for finding election wrongdoing where even a Trump-friendly DoJ couldn't.
DOJ is not anyone friendly, other than what helps them. It’s a system for the system, by the system.

And sorry you can’t internet well.

How many BS ballots are too many?

Again, if you can’t even ID yourself well enough to buy a gun in NY (a right) your vote should not be allowed to be cast, and attempting to vote without properly IDing yourself, or giving wrong information should be treated the same as giving fake info on a 4473.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:49   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajora View Post
cool! all this info on this thread is going to really help me get my boat back into the water!!!

thanks for all your opinions on completely irrelevant information... so many smart people..
Why can’t you get your boat back in the water?

There was never a time I couldn’t get mine pulled and dropped back in.

Where are you?
Old 04-12-2020, 09:53   #409

Boat: Beneteau 473

The thing I like most about science is that it is built upon a firm foundation of failure after failure.

That's what I like about my music as well.

Oh, and learning to sail...
Old 04-12-2020, 09:58   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
DOJ is not anyone friendly, other than what helps them. It’s a system for the system, by the system.

And sorry you can’t internet well.

Oh, I can Internet just fine thanks.

... and this one's well-worth the click A reminder to unmute the video. You'll thank me.

https://twitter.com/search?q=carone%...rc=typed_query
Old 04-12-2020, 10:01   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Why can’t you get your boat back in the water?

There was never a time I couldn’t get mine pulled and dropped back in.

Where are you?
Im outside of portland, oregon in scappoose.. not that i "cannot" get back in the water but rather 'when". and its been a long four years of restoring a 1974 fuji 35. I couldnt stop tearing things apart and rebedding, rebuilding, reglassing, refairing, repainting, etc.. i preactically rebuilt her.

I am now almost there but at the discouraging part of building my own lifepo4 house bank (3.2v cells) and rewiring the whole darned mess.. and i know very little about this as Im a carpenter.

I will be afloat by this summer if I have the opportunity to get back to work to bankroll this final push.. until then theres more than enough to do on the boat, ha
Old 04-12-2020, 11:24   #412

Please don't turn this forum into another .Facebook
Old 04-12-2020, 11:45   #413
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Left..............truth/reality..................Right

Wherever you stand, the truth/reality is always in the other guy's direction (at least most of the time) whether you like it or not...at least if we are to use left/right terms. So maybe such terms are inadequate?
Whackjob..................................truth/reality.................................Whackjob

Just for fun.
I took this test: https://www.politicalcompass.org/test
The result put me in the green box.
This was my score: Economic Left/Right: -6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56
Anybody else want to play? See where we stand? Or is the test itself biased?
Old 04-12-2020, 12:05   #414
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Just for fun.
I took this test: https://www.politicalcompass.org/test
The result put me in the green box.
This was my score: Economic Left/Right: -6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56
Anybody else want to play? See where we stand? Or is the test itself biased?
I was rated:
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67
Whodathunk?
I might have rated myself further left, and less libertarian.

I'll have to go back, and read their explanations.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:12   #415
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I was rated:
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67
Whodathunk?
I might have rated myself further left, and less libertarian.

I'll have to go back, and read their explanations.

If enough people here do this we might find that we stand on more common ground than we thought. Or that the test could be biased. It should be interesting either way.

Gord: How did you get it to show the graph on here?
Old 04-12-2020, 15:37   #416

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Can someone please show me facts and data
1) that lockdowns work
2) that cloth or surgical masks are better than 3% effective in filtering virus from the air we breath.
3) that the survival rate of Covid 19 is significantly worse per age group than the flu.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2020, 15:44   #417

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
1) that lockdowns work
2) that cloth or surgical masks are better than 3% effective in filtering virus from the air we breath.
3) that the survival rate of Covid 19 is significantly worse per age group than the flu.

Thanks!
As someone said, “If lockdowns work why do we have to do another. If lockdowns don’t work, why do we have to do another.”
Old 04-12-2020, 15:52   #418

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
As someone said, “If lockdowns work why do we have to do another. If lockdowns don’t work, why do we have to do another.”
Look, Im super skeptical and am ready to get fitted for my first ever tin foil hat...

BUT, If there is data , real data, I would be open to it.
Old 04-12-2020, 15:53   #419

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FACT vs OPINION, Belief, or Prejudice.

People think that I'm stupid, because I ask them for money, in exchange of politically incorrect opinions.
Well, I beg to differ.

An opinion, without substantiating evidence, is mere conjecture, or speculation.
When forming personal convictions, we often interpret factual evidence, through the filter of our values, feelings, tastes, and past experiences. Hence, most statements we make in speaking and writing are assertions of fact, opinion, belief, or prejudice.

We value the right to believe what we think is right, and to express our opinions accordingly.
What is not true, however, is that an opinion is a fact. Alarmingly, most people believe that their opinions are facts.
Wrong.
The truth is, that a fact is a statement, that can be supported to be true or false, by data or evidence.
Indeed, many of our opinions are based on emotions, personal history, and values; all of which can be completely unsupported by meaningful evidence.
The naked truth is this:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But not all opinions are equally valuable.

It takes more information, to make us believe something we don't want to believe, than something we do (cognitive bias & motivated reasoning).
If someone firmly believes some fact to be true, that I just as firmly believe to be false, it is hard for either of us not to see that other person as stupid, disingenuous, both, or worse.
Sometimes, expertise/knowledge/intelligence even magnifies the tendency to engage in politically motivated reasoning. It's almost as though a sophisticated approach to science, gives people more tools, to curate their own sense of reality.

Given our varying cognitive biases, we have to ask ourselves:
not
“Why do they disagree with the science?'
but rather
“Why do they want to disagree with the science?”

A license to ignore reality is a dangerous path to travel, regardless of our political leanings. If facts are somehow devalued, as a currency, it'll be a lot harder to achieve our common goals.
Factual evidence should always trump opinion, belief, or prejudice, in prioritizing the information, that is used to guide policy.

Two writers, who might disagree on many subjects, share a disdainful scorn for Opinions Without Evidence:

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." ~ Christopher Hitchens (Hitchen’s razor)

“Do you know what we call opinion in the absence of evidence? We call it prejudice.” ~ Michael Crichton
Fact: I am going to go for a sail and try out the new mainsail, in the afternoon I will drop the anchor and going to have a few cold ones.
As for opinion without evidence I think about it later.
Old 04-12-2020, 16:00   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
1) that lockdowns work
  1. What's a "lockdown"? There were no two the same. Do they work? Look up data from several countries that implemented some form of lockdown in the spring.
  2. No-one has claimed that cloth or surgical masks will provide significant benefit to an uninfected wearer. But that was never the point of them.
  3. Some data from the UK. Tons elsewhere. The problem is mainly that we have some immunuty to the flu, but still none for COVID-19. So more people could get sick from COVID-19, therefore more deaths, even if the death rates were comparable.