Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 04:10   #451

Re: FACT vs OPINION

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
So you think its a good idea then to have to produce papers to enter places and travel locally? and once that becomes the norm what will the next step be and the next step after that be? Freedoms are removed in small steps so people do not notice or up-rise en masse - It's the sleeping masses that are eager to give away our freedoms because they are so afraid of everything and buy into the fear that they have been brainwashed with their whole lives that is the real problem.

There's a global problem - COVID-19. There's a (relatively) simple end to the problem - vaccination.

I just know that once the vaccines are widely available, and proof of vaccination a requirement for most international travel (including cruising), all the CF "muh freedoms" whiners will go quiet about this, right after they get their shots. Because travel is a genuine modern freedom, and worth a little effort to keep it.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:53   #452

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Does anyone think that this is a good thing?

Sounds a bit like Nazi Germany to me - Got to carry your papers to go anywhere and do anything - Say adios to the free world.
Not everything slides inevitably to Nazism! Slippery slopes are real, but they are not inevitable. In Canada, where we have not treated the pandemic as seriously as places like Oz, but more so than our American cousins, signs demanding face coverings before entering businesses and offices are now common. It would be easy to amend that to "Vaccine or facemask."

And before everyone starts enacting Godwin's law, it is already common to have restrictions or benchmarks for entry into places of work: No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service (and in some places in the USA they add "No Guns").

Quote:
If they implement this then god knows where it will go for our children's children.
I'm very aware of how this can go. I've been warning and railing about the negative lessons are already authoritarian-leaning "free" countries may learn from this pandemic. But as I said, slippery slopes are real, but not innevitable. We can stop before the end. We do it all the time.

To be clear, I would rather have no restriction, period. But I also would rather have a functioning society where people can live without a high risk of death.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:13   #453

Quote:
...They are basically trying to remove your freedom of choice, by making life so hard to impossible to live....
Just like Nazi Germany, if you're not careful, they'll take you into a "special building" telling you it's for your own good.

Once inside the building, they will stick things into your body. They will give you "special gas" to breath, telling you it's for your own good.

And if you don't do what they tell you to do...change your behavior...they might drug you up. And if you still don't do what they told you to do, they will inject you with drugs to paralyze you...same drugs that Amazon hunters use to capture and kill their pray. Like Nazi Germany, while you are paralyzed they will shove a tube down your throat, keeping you paralyzed.

They will not let your family see you any more. Invariably you will chit yourself, meaning all kinds of people you don't know will take turns cleaning your backside, probably not doing as good a job as you'd have done, but you're paralyzed with a tube down your throat, so what can you do about it. The drugs they use routinely cause horrific hallucinations the likes of which you can't now imagine, so at least you might be distracted with something new and, if you manage to escape the building, you have the memories of the hallucinations to think about for the rest of your life. Sort of like a momento of the trip inside this building.

Unlike Nazi Germany, people today have some serious freedom of choice to avoid such buildings, yet some people have some seriously deeply wired desires to make their own life harder to live. Per routine, many who hold these conflicted beliefs project their internal conflict on the actions of other people.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:19   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Driver View Post
It’s funny reading this after recently watching “The Social Dilemma”.

It goes a long way in helping one understand about views on facts vs others beliefs. I’ve gotten to the point I can’t watch any news media these days. When I do see stories I might be interested in I need to check various web sites in order to garner what “might” be the truth. So much media is just a litany of “editorial” opinions. News media and reporting has fallen drastically over the years. There is no such thing as unbiased reporting any more. ZERO...
A few things. Never, EVER, get your "news" from anything sniffing of social media. These are not news channels, these are echo chambers -- by design (as you know from the doc).

Secondly, learn to identify news from editorial. It's not hard. There was a time when it was easier, but lines have been purposely blurred over the last decades. There was a period where we encouraged "media literacy training" where people were taught how to spot the difference. This training seems to have fallen by the wayside. But seriously, it's not hard to do. Once you understand there is a difference, then simply ignore editorial.

BTW, giveaways are anything that uses these terms: editorial, analysis, opinion, discussion, commentary. It also includes virtually ALL TV prime time shows. And it certainly includes all narrow-cast right or left wing radio, cable shows, and now Internet feeds.

News -- real news -- is produced by actual reporters, not just babblers. News can also be highly biased, but at its core reports make a real attempt not to be. There are techniques reporters use to identify and limit their own bias. It's never fully achievable, but there is an effort there. Babblers have no such boundary. Most drive for the opposite ideal.

Thirdly, access as many varied sources of news as you can, especially on hot topics. My normal cycle of news sources includes my local and regional newspapers/TV stations, then national Canadian source (b/c I'm Canadian), then BBC, Reuters, CNN, Fox, NY Times, BNN (Blooberg), Al Jazeera. I'll add others depending on the story.

Fourthly, access primary sources as much as possible. But be wary... many primary sources can also be severely biased.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:33   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Thanks for proving my point.

yup .
Old 05-12-2020, 07:30   #456
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Just like Nazi Germany, if you're not careful, they'll take you into a "special building" telling you it's for your own good.
Once inside the building, they will stick things into your body. They will give you "special gas" to breath, telling you it's for your own good...
Reminds me of the Canadian Mining Industry.
Between 1943 and the 1980s, “McIntyre Powder”*, an aluminum dust, was used in mining operations (primarily in gold and uranium mines, and some base metal and radium mines) all over the world, especially in northern Ontario.

Miners were told, by their employers, they had to breathe in the powder, before their shifts underground, as a prophylaxis against silicotic lung disease. Records have shown 27,500 workers, in Ontario, inhaled McIntyre Powder, during the four decades it was used in mines in this province.

Home - mcintyrepowderproject

Old 05-12-2020, 07:34   #457

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
What absolute BS. The Western World, is classically liberal, universally educated and it's citizens live in hundreds of thriving democracies. All due to the over 1000 year effort of the Christian Church, whereas godless atheism is totally responsible for the greatest mass murders worldwide in the last 100 years, in Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Communist China, North Korea and Cambodia. Mao, the so-called Father of Modern China is also China's greatest mass murderer and perhaps the greatest mass murderer of all times.
Here’s what I see just happened:

@Yihang posted some numbers about prayer and countries and included in his post the following quote:

“Looks like its true that the British sent all their religious nuts to the US.“

Then your post above followed, pointing out that atheists have killed far more people than religious nuts.

@Yibang, why did you pick the term, “religious nuts?”
Old 05-12-2020, 07:56   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Here’s what I see just happened:

@Yihang posted some numbers about prayer and countries and included in his post the following quote:

“Looks like its true that the British sent all their religious nuts to the US.“

Then your post above followed, pointing out that atheists have killed far more people than religious nuts.

@Yibang, why did you pick the term, “religious nuts?”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ameri...ts-v_b_8905834

“American Religious Nuts Versus Australian Convicts“--Pretty well known internet meme.

I didn't make it a Christian thing. Just read the article. Every religion is nuts.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...althy-nations/
Old 05-12-2020, 08:03   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ameri...ts-v_b_8905834

“American Religious Nuts Versus Australian Convicts“--Pretty well known internet meme.
Fair enough.

It all started from a meme.

In the interest of clarity, the people escaping religious persecution fled to America
and the criminals were sent to Australia.

So, in actuality England didn’t send religious nuts to America.

But it’s a thought provoking meme that bears discussion.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:04   #460

Revealed! The real reason why Sweden has had better results containing COVID-19 without lockdowns.

(Though they are tweaking to control some outbreaks)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:05   #461

Also, someone pointed out their opinion that with the covid lockdowns Australia has reverted back to its penal colony roots.

I that thought provoking too.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:36   #462
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:

Once inside the building, they will stick things into your body. They will give you "special gas" to breath, telling you it's for your own good.

And if you don't do what they tell you to do...change your behavior...they might drug you up. And if you still don't do what they told you to do, they will inject you with drugs to paralyze you...same drugs that Amazon hunters use to capture and kill their pray. Like Nazi Germany, while you are paralyzed they will shove a tube down your throat, keeping you paralyzed.

They will not let your family see you any more. Invariably you will chit yourself, meaning all kinds of people you don't know will take turns cleaning your backside, probably not doing as good a job as you'd have done, but you're paralyzed with a tube down your throat, so what can you do about it. The drugs they use routinely cause horrific hallucinations the likes of which you can't now imagine, so at least you might be distracted with something new and, if you manage to escape the building, you have the memories of the hallucinations to think about for the rest of your life. Sort of like a momento of the trip inside this building.

Unlike Nazi Germany, people today have some serious freedom of choice to avoid such buildings, yet some people have some seriously deeply wired desires to make their own life harder to live. Per routine, many who hold these conflicted beliefs project their internal conflict on the actions of other people.
WTF???
Old 05-12-2020, 08:41   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
WTF???
Really.

I think it’s a spoof on being sent to a nursing home with a little bit of covid-19 medical treatment thrown in.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:51   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
WTF???
If you didn't understand it, consider that the term "understand" means to have a picture in one's head that they are standing under. Not everyone sees pictures in their head/has the same "minds eye" capacity while thinking, some practically blind.

Consider reading:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2083706-my-minds-eye-is-blind-so-whats-going-on-in-my-brain/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantasia
John Galton (who described aphantasia) is otherwise a very interesting person.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:41   #465
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
If you didn't understand it, consider that the term "understand" means to have a picture in one's head that they are standing under. Not everyone sees pictures in their head/has the same "minds eye" capacity while thinking, some practically blind.

Consider reading:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2083706-my-minds-eye-is-blind-so-whats-going-on-in-my-brain/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantasia
John Galton (who described aphantasia) is otherwise a very interesting person.
Both of your links are to the same page. I think that you meant to post this link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantasia
I don't get your point at all, if there is one. Did you forget to take your meds or something?
I don't think that I suffer from Aphantasia, but the article led me to Prosopagnosia which is a cognitive disorder of face perception. A disorder that I didn't know about but might suffer from to some degree. (I am not trying to make a point, just find that it is interesting)