Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2021, 15:24   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Helping the COVID kids

I've never had children, generally only interacted with cruising kids who generally impressed the hell out of me,, so have been wondering.....

.....What is really happening psychologically and physically to the children under COVID restrictions?
.......And how can we help?
Old 07-01-2021, 15:38   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Helping the COVID kids

A pretty broad question there buddy .

Hard to lump "all kids" into one category. I think those little people are much like big people ... but little. So just as adults have a wide range of psychological and physical responses to the restrictions, so do those little people.

As to how we can help them, I think the answer is the same as well: get this damn pandemic under control. Follow the public health requirements, and when your time comes, get the jab.
Old 07-01-2021, 15:39   #3

I have two nephews 11 & 13 which seem to be fine. However, they live out in the middle of nowhere with no neighborhood children. So they continue to go outside and do the things they normally do. They are used entertaining themselves. The activities they participate in with their parents haven't changed (canoeing, kayaking, swimming, target shooting, hunting, water skiing, computer games, etc) have gone largely unchanged.

I have 3 nieces (different family). They are each about 18 months apart. They are also used to entertaining themselves. They live in Florida so they seem to act like there isn't a pandemic. They also seem to be fine.
Old 07-01-2021, 17:35   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Hard to lump "all kids" into one category. I think those little people are much like big people ... but little. So just as adults have a wide range of psychological and physical responses to the restrictions, so do those little people.

As to how we can help them, I think the answer is the same as well: get this damn pandemic under control. Follow the public health requirements, and when your time comes, get the jab.
I guess what I'm getting at Mike is that I've observed a trend over the years of children becoming more and more "internalized" as their playtimes are spent playing virtual games rather than engaging in the sporting and physical playtimes of our generation.

Perhaps that's why sailing kids stand out in personal development as the sea keeps them engaged in reality

COVID has accelerated this introversion to perhaps a dangerous level in personal development where the lockdown and social distancing has now encouraged even more antisocial behavior.

Ideas?
Children's Travel experiences has always been a great way to open their minds to different cultures, races and friendships.

What if there was an organized way to create virtual travel to different places and cultures where children interact with each other "Guesting" another kid from a a different land to see their daily lives, meet their famiky , play local games and just talk as friends?

Common sense tells me that COVID restrictions which force us to put up walls with neighbouring regions is incredibly dangerous to peaceful cohabitation.

We need the kids to experience and appreciate different cultures and to develop close personal friendships with other children who look and sound different from them .

Does this make sense?
Old 07-01-2021, 18:46   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Pelagic I think you will find they are doing fine. I follow a few kids Facebook groups and socializing with other families during Covid does not seem to be an issue.
I don't want to start a war but from a down under perspective it seems bloody mad sailing and socially mixing in a country where the virus is running rampant.
We had some neighborhood kids come back from a Covid area and I made our kids socially isolate from them for two weeks just to be sure.
Cheers
Old 07-01-2021, 19:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I guess what I'm getting at Mike is that I've observed a trend over the years of children becoming more and more "internalized" as their playtimes are spent playing virtual games rather than engaging in the sporting and physical playtimes of our generation.

Perhaps that's why sailing kids stand out in personal development as the sea keeps them engaged in reality

COVID has accelerated this introversion to perhaps a dangerous level in personal development where the lockdown and social distancing has now encouraged even more antisocial behavior.
Does this make sense?
Sure it does. But I don't think it's unique to kids. I think what you describe applies to nearly everyone in the developed world, at nearly all age levels. We're all glued to our virtual spaces (like this one ). Heck, even when we're out in the real world, many of us tied to our cybernetic devices like phones, pads, watches and digital glasses.

The pandemic has exacerbated some of this, although in other ways these virtual spaces have probably been a great help to many in these days of woe.

I agree with you, it is a problem. It's why I laugh at the dystopian naming of tools like Facebook or Twitter or even Cruisers Forum as "social media". They're a long way away from actually being social.

The pandemic responses have been hard on everyone. And I bet it's causing measurable psychological and physical harm (in addition to the disease, which is causing very real and direct harm). Covid-19 will be fodder for medical and social science researchers for decades to come.

What to do? I dunno... Your virtual personal travel idea sounds interesting. But it sounds interesting regardless of the pandemic. I say go for it .
Old 07-01-2021, 19:53   #7

Quote:
.....What is really happening psychologically and physically to the children under COVID restrictions?
Generally, it seems that most kids are doing better than their parents, in terms of coping. The kids' screen-time that we all bemoan is now a key part of staying in touch with their peers and with schoolwork. Can you imagine how awful things would be without the internet - eg if this pandemic was 25 years ago?

The parents by contrast have the burdens of stress and worry about making ends meet, coping with layoffs or unemployment, new uncertainty about the future, etc.

Quote:
.......And how can we help?
I can't think of concrete ways to help right now, other than supporting families experiencing uncertainty and hardships (through government support to those experiencing hardship, giving time or money to charities), and being open and supportive to fuuture government and social initiatives that will get the most people working again ASAP as restrictions are lifted.

Support the families, which supports the kids.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I don't agree that kids are just like adults, but smaller (& I doubt Mike does either), but his advice is valid.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't agree that kids are just like adults, but smaller (& I doubt Mike does either), but his advice is valid.
Well no, I was being a bit facetious . But I do think this is affecting everyone, old and young alike. Likely the young are in better positions to handle it than us older folks who are less resilient and more stuck in our ways.

And while technology has many dark sides, it can also be used for positive things, like perhaps Pelagic virtual travel idea.

I just think we're all becoming less social the more technology, and especially these so-called "social media" platforms, come to dominate. And I don't think it's only a problem for the young.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:02   #10

Quote:
I've observed a trend over the years of children becoming more and more "internalized" as their playtimes are spent playing virtual games rather than engaging in the sporting and physical playtimes of our generation.
Are their interactions changing...sure but if anything, they are socially more intertwined (be that good or bad is another question).

Back in the 80's a kid who was alone in his room playing video games...really was alone.

In the modern world, social media and games tend to be highly interactive with real people on the other end. They are different and may be good or bad but the kid alone in his room playing video games, likely is interacting with lots of other kids.

Physical activity is an issue but even there it's not all bad news. The nieces got someone in our household hooked on Pokémon. Well, you can't do well sitting at home as the game is linked to your phone's GPS and you have to go out and find them if you want to succeed at the game. Also, they strongly reward trading among friends. So we are often out taking walks in parks because she needs to get her fix and then since different parts of the world have different items that you trade, she is immediately on with the teen/20 yr old nieces talking about what to trade.

Not saying it's perfect but the "back in my day it was better" needs to be tempered.

Now specific to covid...Yes, it's an impact but I think kids are a lot more adaptable. I think the biggest thing to avoid is instilling panic in them. Unlike old folks who've had decades to establish a mindset of "this is the way it should be", they really don't have that built in yet. They take their cues from the adults. So I think the best thing we can do is treat them and the situation calmly and rationally. Yes, they need to take some precautions but it's going to be OK.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:13   #11

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

It is a great question and I personally feel most normal kids seem to be adapting well to the restrictions, as the father of a 10 year old with aspergers syndrome , girl ,,, the lock down is good and bad , the good for her is the less stress and anxiety going to school as they are closed in Scotland,

This allows her brain to work less less noise less crowds less chaos, her mediam is online were she can be herself with little stress, but she loses out on interaction learning and school were she is suffering both mentally and socially and online learning is a poor substitute , as in school the authority of the teacher is paramount to her condition
But during the summer term after the last lockdown it was a struggle to get her back into a routine of school which took us a month ,
Now in lockdown three she misses again , her development ,and school work now on ten months of missed school and social interaction training
Her class has 6 pupils on the ASD spectrum. And I assume many places around the world have plenty of autistic children .suffering mentally and socially .
She has friends who seem to be fine and missing school and covid seems not to affect them, but as we know autistic children are pretty smart especially aspergers also known as high functioning autism so they understand the deaths the virus and all that is happening around the world .
Over all I see no real struggle with normal kids per sei. But were all normal

As for cruiser kids seeming more grounded I disagree totally this is based on the parents and the environment they grow up in.
My daughter is well rounded and a respectful child who has gifts most of us would dream off but afflictions most of us would hate ,
Just my observations but then I also have aspergers so
maybe biased 😉
Old 08-01-2021, 09:41   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
... My daughter is well rounded and a respectful child who has gifts most of us would dream off but afflictions most of us would hate,
Just my observations but then I also have aspergers so
maybe biased 😉
What an insightful observation!
I suspect, she's lucky to have a great dad, with gifts most of us would dream of.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:48   #13

Boat: Bateau FS17

I have an 11yr old, he is doing ok.
He doesn't mind masks at school, we bought him 'cool' ones he liked so they are a fashion statement for him.
We live in bush Alaska so he naturally spends a lot more time outdoors anyways and the village is small enough that except for a few months this spring he has been able to play with small groups outside just like always.

I can tell you a group of 11yr olds in a zoom meeting is much more natural than a group of 65yr olds, I have watched both
Old 08-01-2021, 09:57   #14

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What an insightful observation!
I suspect, she's lucky to have a great dad, with gifts most of us would dream of.
Only my stunning goodlooks 😍
Old 08-01-2021, 09:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
. Can you imagine how awful things would be without the internet - eg if this pandemic was 25 years ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Back in the 80's a kid who was alone in his room playing video games...really was alone.
Even then, I honestly think they would be fine. I was a latch-key kid with an overprotective mother. Starting in the 3rd grade, I came home to an empty house after school and wasn't allowed to play outside while I was home alone. I spent all day, every day during Christmas, Winter and Spring break and most summer week days, home alone.....in the house.

The spent the time mostly just watching TV. The downside is, I think it hard-wired something in my brain. Now in my 50's, I'm largely a couch potato and actually feel a little anxiety sitting in a room with the tv off.

Tags
kids