Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2022, 14:24   #31

Re: Insight into reqd PCR tests for returng Canadians fm USA?

[QUOTE=wannacat;3551287]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post

Don't know exactly where your from? But definitely from a different Canada. There have been published factual figures and even outright claims by many provincial figures that surgeries and cancer treatments have been put on the back burner due to Covid. There was even a quote that the backlog is well over 2 years or more now because of Covid!
S/V Illusion definitely sees the real figures and facts and telling them like it is down there. Believe it! Get your head out of the propaganda newspapers up here trying to pound our chests and showing false figures of what's happening in the States. Unless maybe your working for Mr J Tru and paid to skew facts and figures.
P.S.-don't worry about buddy sitting at the bar, he's doing his share by killing those virus germs with alcohol-maybe you should sit down and have a few swigs yourself-Cheers!
I'm not worried about buddy in Florida. He's just a drunk with zero compassion and even less knowledge who is sitting in a bar pretending that the pandemic is not serious while deaths in his state are at a rate 4 times that of Canada. He's not killing germs he's killing brain cells.

Then you trust a guy on a boat named Illusion to not be feeding you BS simply because you don't like Trudeau. My facts are from a number of sources but none of them are Canadian. Most covid protocols are put in place by the Premiers and the daily statistics are provided by the provinces.

The Canadian Healthcare system has been heavily adversely impacted but our critical care has not been curtailed. Elective and non critical surgeries have been suspended and there is a huge backlog, that is much is true but our system has never been overwhelmed like Florida's was last August. Relative to the USA as a whole Florida is not doing badly but relative to Canada Florida is a complete disaster. They have no business giving anybody advice when they have screwed up so badly.
Old 08-01-2022, 14:43   #32

Boat: Sceptre 41

I admit it: I enjoyed a summer and a half with no USA boats. And yes, I too feel many USA jurisdictions have gone the wrong route re covid-19.

HOWEVER, I don't feel generalized American bashing is either appropriate or helpful. Eventually, we on both sides of our shared border will get on top of this pandemic, and we'll all be visiting (and enjoying) each other. (At least, that's what I'm hoping for!)

If we are to be critical on either side, let's keep it evidence-based.
Old 08-01-2022, 14:45   #33

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:

Just a lot of bull ****, lies and misinformation. SV Illusion, your name pretty much says it all. Florida 19th in the nation. 19th still puts Florida as one of the worst jurisdictions in the world. The handling of the pandemic has been criminal.
People like you are exactly why we want to keep Americans out of Canada and if you done start cleaning up your act the border will soon be restricted to essential traffic only. We don't need a bunch of ill informed sociopaths coming into our country and we don' t want ignorant people telling us how to handle this pandemic when they are killing there own at a rate 4 times higher than Canada.
Lets review - you posted some asinine comments filled with unfounded criticisms and untruths and then have a tantrum when I cite facts. And resorting to name-calling is childish. Adorable!
Old 10-01-2022, 05:44   #34

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

Quote:
So rather than anecdotal evidence let's look at the statistics.

Fl. Population 21.9M, Covid cases 4.5M, Deaths 62.6K

Can Pop. 38.0, Covid cases 2.47M, Deaths 30.7K

The main reason for the difference is that Florida refuses to take this pandemic seriously. So while our friend here is enjoying an adult beverage at the bar his neighbours are getting sick and dying from covid at a rate 4 times that of Canada and he seems quite pleased with this. And people wonder why so many Canadians are willing to shut the border down.
The main reason is your a sheep. So while you sit smugly in your basement hiding the rest of us have already had covid, I was one of the last of my friends to get it. None died, contrary to the lame stream media hype. How many deaths are really something else but they tested positive for covid so they count it as a covid death? Great idea, you stay in Canada and hide from the rest of the world and waste your life away. Me and my friends will be at the bar with natural immunity ( and some vacced also) and live our lives the way we want. Enjoy your hibernation.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:52   #35

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

[QUOTE=ebs001;3551434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post

I'm not worried about buddy in Florida. He's just a drunk with zero compassion and even less knowledge who is sitting in a bar pretending that the pandemic is not serious while deaths in his state are at a rate 4 times that of Canada. He's not killing germs he's killing brain cells.

Then you trust a guy on a boat named Illusion to not be feeding you BS simply because you don't like Trudeau. My facts are from a number of sources but none of them are Canadian. Most covid protocols are put in place by the Premiers and the daily statistics are provided by the provinces.

The Canadian Healthcare system has been heavily adversely impacted but our critical care has not been curtailed. Elective and non critical surgeries have been suspended and there is a huge backlog, that is much is true but our system has never been overwhelmed like Florida's was last August. Relative to the USA as a whole Florida is not doing badly but relative to Canada Florida is a complete disaster. They have no business giving anybody advice when they have screwed up so badly.
Haha, Do as your told. Trust me. Did you see the US news this morning. Our trust worthy Government had been poising our service people at a base in NC for years. So Again this drunk is living his life with all the other people that choose to do the same. You know like everyone in Florida. You must be just a timid old man with nothing left to do but rag on others for choosing a different path. Gotta go, I'm heading to my vacation house in the Keys to get on my boat and have some fun as I've been working none stop for 10 months. Do you even have a boat?
Old 10-01-2022, 05:56   #36

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Quote:
The Canadian Healthcare system has not been overwhelmed precisely because we invoked strict covid protocols. The only province to go rogue during the Delta wave was Alberta and that caused a huge spike in covid cases in that province and probably was a leading factor in O'toole losing the federal election. The Omicron variant which is currently causing so many of the current active cases was a direct result of allowing people to cross the border into Canada. Somehow the covid protocols broke down. If stricter rules had been in place or the current rules more strictly adhered to Omicron would not have gotten into this county. Fortunately the Omicron variant while considerably more transmissible is not causing the hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths of previous variants. Part of the reason for the is the high rate of vaccinations in Canada. The lockdowns for the most part come under provincial jurisdiction while those who are claiming that it is dividing the country are blaming the feds. The provincial chief medical officers recommend the actions the Premiers should take. They seemed to believe that lockdowns work and they must have the data which backs that up.

It is inaccurate to say that wait times for essential treatments for heart , cancer, and other medical problems has slowed down. It' simply not true. My wife has been undergoing cancer treatments for the last 8 months and there have been no changes and no slowdowns. She has had timely CAT scans, PET scans, MRI's never having to endure any wait times. No healthcare system has been designed to withstand the assault that would occur if covid is allowed to spread unchecked. The healthcare system in Texas was completely overwhelmed far worse than anything in Canada.

Canada does not have a free healthcare system. Our system has not been overwhelmed

BUT most importantly what are you, and I mean everyone, doing personally to end the pandemic and instead of seeking to undermine what others are doing ask what more can I do to help end the pandemic.

Amen!
Old 10-01-2022, 07:11   #37

Quote:
. The Omicron variant which is currently causing so many of the current active cases was a direct result of allowing people to cross the border into Canada.
If you want to stop covid you will have to stop all air traffic around the world. Omicron was announced around Nov 15. It was already around the entire world 2 weeks later. As long as air travel is happening you can not lock down a country tight enough to keep covid out. Every country needs goods and services from outside.

If SARS had the same transmissibility as Covid-19 Omicron I can assure you that there would be significantly less people in the world today as SARS was quite deadly.

Covid will continue to be a problem for the foreseeable future as long we have air travel around the world. We will have new variants again and again.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman97 View Post
If you want to stop covid you will have to stop all air traffic around the world. Omicron was announced around Nov 15. It was already around the entire world 2 weeks later. As long as air travel is happening you can not lock down a country tight enough to keep covid out. Every country needs goods and services from outside.

If SARS had the same transmissibility as Covid-19 Omicron I can assure you that there would be significantly less people in the world today as SARS was quite deadly.

Covid will continue to be a problem for the foreseeable future as long we have air travel around the world. We will have new variants again and again.
Unfortunately, I agree. I doubt that we will will ever see the cessation air travel. In the meantime everyone needs to do their part in slowing the spread. Omicron was a shot across the bow. The next variant could be just as transmissible but with a much higher morbidity rate. If we continue to play fast and loose as others here are advocating, it's just a matter of time.

In Canada we have taken the pandemic seriously but too many Americans still act as if it is no big deal. They have the worst statistics in the world and it's only getting worse but their ego is preventing them from moving in the right direction.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:09   #39
cruiser

Couple of reactions:

1. Florida is not doing badly? Huh?

2. How about this for a plan: The "world" agrees to quickly arrange food and essentials enough and arranges for nearly everyone to quarantine for 10-14 days.

Yes, extremely unlikely and massively painful for two weeks. But is that worse than going on 3 years of unsuccessful whack-a-mole?

Just a thought.