Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 05:50   #1

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34 & 1974 Pearson 26
Insight into reqd PCR tests for returng Canadians fm USA?

I was delighted to get a day trip across the Can / US border to the boat to get a few things squared away back in Dec. but now we’re no longer able due to testing reqmnts. I don’t see anything in the news about this, it’s very quiet.
Does anyone have any intel?
Thx, Rol1964
Old 07-01-2022, 06:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Insight into reqd PCR tests for returng Canadians fm USA?

COVID-19 testing for travellers [Canada] ➥ https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

Old 07-01-2022, 06:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
COVID-19 testing for travellers [Canada] ➥ https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada
Thanks Gord. This is what I'm referring to...when will this PCR test outside of Canada "go away"...?
Old 07-01-2022, 07:00   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
Thanks Gord. This is what I'm referring to...when will this PCR test outside of Canada "go away"...?
We could tell you but first,you have to take a secret oath.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:46   #5

The requirement for a PCR only changed for day trippers,total garbage, I came across in Nov after waiting nearly two years, left on a Tuesday, had PCR test Wednesday morn, then the stupidity I had to be back by Saturday morning, as the 72 hrs starts at the time of your test. The PCR test had confirmed something like a 0.028% confirmation rate overall, yet it continues as the Canadian Government doesnt want Canadians buying stuff in the USA.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterincalgary View Post
The requirement for a PCR only changed for day trippers,total garbage, I came across in Nov after waiting nearly two years, left on a Tuesday, had PCR test Wednesday morn, then the stupidity I had to be back by Saturday morning, as the 72 hrs starts at the time of your test. The PCR test had confirmed something like a 0.028% confirmation rate overall, yet it continues as the Canadian Government doesnt want Canadians buying stuff in the USA.
The Canadian Government does not care about what you buy in the USA. You may not be aware seeing as you are from Alberta but there is a worldwide pandemic going on and our government is doing everything to keep Canadians safe. A large portion of Americans have been very irresponsible in their response to Covid 19 and as a result their covid numbers are out of control. Many Canadians would be very happy if non essential travel to the USA was banned again and this time with no loop holes. Your mistake was not getting your PCR test within the 72 hours of when you wanted to return. You cannot blame the government for that.

As much as anyone, I want to see an end to this pandemic, no mask requirements, no quarantines, face to face contact, large get togethers, kids back in school, hospitalizations back to normal etc. The only way any of this is going to happen if we each do everything possible so we keep our fellow Canadians safe. If it means we overdo some things so be it but that. is far better than undergoing.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterincalgary View Post
Interesting comment Pete. I never thought of it that way. Needless to say this does nothing for my dissatisfaction with our current PM and makes me wonder if this petty test rule is here to stay.....?
Is there some focal point to lobby around and voice our opinions en Masse?
Is anyone making noise on this?
I’m sure many people are negatively impacted by this and I don’t believe the testing requirement actually accomplishes very much in the way of Omicron defense.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:40   #8

We in Alberta are part of Canada, and are in the midst of the COVID due in part to the Canadian & Alberta Governments lack of foresight as we have little or none Pfizer vaccine, no Rapid tests, PCR testing is scarce, read the piece in the Globe and Mail on Trudeau all talk no action. Some Canadians are anti vaccines as some American, in my trip to our boat Americans to a great degree wore masks, I as my wife had both our shots in Feb & April booster in Oct, I am part of a study of COVID anti bodies through taking blood 4 times last year. For your info I had to have the test on the Wednesday as it was not available were the boat was, and the car a rental was due back on Monday morning.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:48   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Insight into reqd PCR tests for returng Canadians fm USA?

Quote:

Presumably when the public health officials decide its no longer necessary and when their neighbours take Covid seriously
Old 07-01-2022, 09:50   #10

Boat: C&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
The Canadian Government does not care about what you buy in the USA. You may not be aware seeing as you are from Alberta but there is a worldwide pandemic going on and our government is doing everything to keep Canadians safe. A large portion of Americans have been very irresponsible in their response to Covid 19 and as a result their covid numbers are out of control. Many Canadians would be very happy if non essential travel to the USA was banned again and this time with no loop holes. Your mistake was not getting your PCR test within the 72 hours of when you wanted to return. You cannot blame the government for that.

As much as anyone, I want to see an end to this pandemic, no mask requirements, no quarantines, face to face contact, large get togethers, kids back in school, hospitalizations back to normal etc. The only way any of this is going to happen if we each do everything possible so we keep our fellow Canadians safe. If it means we overdo some things so be it but that. is far better than undergoing.
Yes we all want to see an end to this mess, but you really think closing the border has done anything!? Not at all, we still have big numbers here and ridiculous lockdowns! We've had strict requirements for the longest time and it hasn't done anything but divide Canadians! The big problem is our supposedly great free healthcare system that we've always pounded our chests about, well the issue is that it's totally under built !!! Like always stated -you don't get much for nothing-that's exactly what we've got! Now it's "overwhelmed", it always has been, look at the wait times we've had to endure before the virus for cancer, heart and all other treatments. Look how long it even took to get Cat Scans or MRI's!!! Totally under built, that's why it's been crushed by this pandemic, we'd rather send money to 3rd world countries than help our own who worked to pay for this tax base.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:49   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Yes we all want to see an end to this mess, but you really think closing the border has done anything!? Not at all, we still have big numbers here and ridiculous lockdowns! We've had strict requirements for the longest time and it hasn't done anything but divide Canadians! The big problem is our supposedly great free healthcare system that we've always pounded our chests about, well the issue is that it's totally under built !!! Like always stated -you don't get much for nothing-that's exactly what we've got! Now it's "overwhelmed", it always has been, look at the wait times we've had to endure before the virus for cancer, heart and all other treatments. Look how long it even took to get Cat Scans or MRI's!!! Totally under built, that's why it's been crushed by this pandemic, we'd rather send money to 3rd world countries than help our own who worked to pay for this tax base.

Dig deep pay more tax.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:01   #12

Of course this is a touchy subject. Not trying to start all out war here, just wondering if there's any previously advertised or known metric by which the current PCR testing requirements would be dropped.
Thanks for any insight.
Rol1964
Old 07-01-2022, 11:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Well said! and there is more , statistically 2018 had more overall death than the last 2 years (like many other countries )
And yes, during the flu season in prior years lots of procedures were postponed as well , do we even hear this?
Israel is now contemplating to stop all ' so-called "Vacinations" and letting everything run its course to create natural immunity ( no more DNA modifications)
One may wonder what the real agenda is!!!
To stay within the context of this forum let's sail a true course in all these matters
Old 07-01-2022, 11:14   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Of course this is a touchy subject. Not trying to start all out war here, just wondering if there's any previously advertised or known metric by which the current PCR testing requirements would be dropped.
Thanks for any insight.
Rol1964

The requirement for testing is very common at the moment for travelling it’s unfortunate but it’s not uncommon
Old 07-01-2022, 11:15   #15

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Presumably when the public health officials decide its no longer necessary and when their neighbours take Covid seriously
My brother just heard from his brother-in-law who lives in Singapore. They take it real serious over there. They just quarantined his wife coming back from Panama because she hasn't had a Yellow Fever shot in years. Funny thing is he has the same virus we all have had here in the states the last couple of weeks. Like a weak flu. Even funnier still is all the people I know that have had the same thing, half test positive and the other half test negative. Same symptoms. Same time. Same place. So 2 things. One is you can,t stop the spread easily. Two, are the tests really all that accurate? FYI, our experience is this strain is highly contagious but very weak. Couple of days and your feeling pretty good again. So I say to our northern neighbors, you can stay locked down and I wish you well but I don't think it will help much in the end. I'll be at the bar with my friends.