Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2021, 07:51   #181

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Japanese Approach to Pandemic Measures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That sort of thing has happened virtually everywhere to one degree or another.

Of course it's not good, and there has been criticism, probably justified, of the way the Japanese medical system has been prepared for the pandemic (which compares unfavorably to what was done in most European countries; e.g. Sweden which doubled the number of ICU beds in something like three weeks).

But you said "Looks like Japanese pandemic measures are not working too well now." A conclusion totally unjustified by these facts, which don't say anything about Japanese pandemic measures as a whole.
So if I told you Sweden doubling ICUs beds had nothing to do with their pandemic response, you'd say that was ridiculous. Yet you say Japan not preparing for ER required capacity doesn't change how great you think their approach to the pandemic is.
Old 27-08-2021, 08:11   #182

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So if I told you Sweden doubling ICUs beds had nothing to do with their pandemic response, you'd say that was ridiculous. Yet you say Japan not preparing for ER required capacity doesn't change how great you think their approach to the pandemic is.

Sweden doubling ICU beds is one relatively small part of the pandemic repsonse. A good one.

Sweden failing to protect people in nursing homes was another part of their pandemic response. A big failure.

But looked at as a whole, rather than taking just one element out of context, the pandemic response looks pretty good.

Same with the Japanese, except even much better results. They may have screwed up this one element -- well, virtually every country put one or another foot wrong. But looked at as a whole it looks really good and you just cannot say "their pandemic response is not working so well" -- again, this statement is totally unjustified by the facts, as you are implicating the pandemic response as a whole.

If you wanted to say - "one element of the Japanese pandemic response has been done badly" -- that would be more accurate.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 27-08-2021, 08:36   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Keep in mind that despite the increasing rate of infection, most states including Florida hospitalization and ICU occupancy rates attributed to covid are around 20 - 25% of total occupancy.
It IS a moving target...
It appears closer to 1/3 from Covid and the worst states are 90-95% full in ICU's.
Nationwide "Almost 78% of beds in U.S. hospital intensive care units are in use, and roughly one-third of adult ICU patients (or 22,345) have the coronavirus, according to data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewals...h=55dd7da56bb5

Old 27-08-2021, 09:14   #184

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It IS a moving target...
It appears closer to 1/3 from Covid and the worst states are 90-95% full in ICU's.
Nationwide "Almost 78% of beds in U.S. hospital intensive care units are in use, and roughly one-third of adult ICU patients (or 22,345) have the coronavirus, according to data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewals...h=55dd7da56bb5
Almost all unvaccinated I assume?
Old 27-08-2021, 13:22   #185

Boat: Outbound 44

Japan is seeing something like 3x new cases from their previous peaks and in some places hospitals are on diversion. From within the country, things are probably not looking great. At least vaccinations are starting to roll out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210827-161701_Chrome.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	244322  
Old 06-09-2021, 04:22   #186

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

The most interesting recent news from Japan is that on August 13, the Chairman of the Tokyo Medical Association held a live press conference in support of the use of Ivermectin. in Japan.

For those of us who have been following the research on this medication for some time now, this is potentially excellent news for Japan.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:35   #187

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Japan is seeing something like 3x new cases from their previous peaks and in some places hospitals are on diversion. From within the country, things are probably not looking great. At least vaccinations are starting to roll out.
The daily case rate in Japan peaked at about 180, and has been going down for a while. The death rate peaked at 0.5, about 1/10 of the current rate in the U.S.

Name:	coronavirus-data-explorer(24).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	244778

Name:	coronavirus-data-explorer(25).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	244779

I'd say they're doing very well. No European country, including the Nordics, got off without a wave considerably worse than that. Even Australia is likely to have a wave as bad as what the Japanese have just been through.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman

Tags
Japan