Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2022, 04:19   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Life insurance CEO says deaths are up 40%

Can you think of any reason that this might be true? What changed in 2021?

https://www.thecentersquare.com/indi...c06725e2c.html

And in the article he alleges that other life insurance companies are reporting the same thing.

And then Dr Malone - now famous because of the Joe Rogan interview says:

Quote:
What if the largest experiment on human beings in history is a failure?
https://rwmalonemd.substack.com/p/wh...-experiment-on

Enjoy your reading.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 06-01-2022, 04:37   #2

Re: Life insurance CEO says deaths are up 40%

Uh...Covid? Combined with the demographic of baby boomers reaching retirement age+ and dropping dead of regular old age?

Not sure what this topic has to do with cruising or sailing...
Old 06-01-2022, 05:10   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Ditto on irrelevancy.

Malone, Rogan, and a life insurance CEO are not exactly authoritative sources for death statistics.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:00   #4

Boat: Hunter 170

Well actually the first article seems to be stating basic facts.

The death rates have increased.

The number of short and long term illnesses have increased.

We already know this from countless articles to date. So it stands to reason that the insurance carriers are paying out death benefits at a higher rate.

They state that the death certificates do not indicate covid at a high rate. One would need to ask more questions. We know a lot of people are dying because their non covid medical issues are killing them becuase they can not get proper treatment due to covid. We also know the people dying at the highest rates are the non-vax people who are in areas where the states have a history of downplaying the covid rates.

It is clearly an article that begs for more details to be look into if one cared. I believe you would just find more evidence for the need of masking, not coming together in large groups, and vaccination. My guess is the life insurance carriers are paying out a lot of money and are all for measures to reduce the death rates.

But that is not published in the article.
Of course, a quick check finds The Center Square is a conservative news outlet so one might expect critical details that might be pro covid prevention have been left out.

The second link is not worthy of comment as it is not based on reality.

Anyway, this is just one scientists quick thoughts about some data and adding some critical thinking. I could be wrong, but that is how science works, come up with an idea and always look to prove or disprove it. In the end you hope to come up with the best answer for what you can measure and always be ready to change your mind when better data comes along.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:39   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreFun View Post
Well actually the first article seems to be stating basic facts.

The death rates have increased.

The number of short and long term illnesses have increased.

We already know this from countless articles to date. So it stands to reason that the insurance carriers are paying out death benefits at a higher rate.

They state that the death certificates do not indicate covid at a high rate. One would need to ask more questions. We know a lot of people are dying because their non covid medical issues are killing them becuase they can not get proper treatment due to covid. We also know the people dying at the highest rates are the non-vax people who are in areas where the states have a history of downplaying the covid rates.

It is clearly an article that begs for more details to be look into if one cared. I believe you would just find more evidence for the need of masking, not coming together in large groups, and vaccination. My guess is the life insurance carriers are paying out a lot of money and are all for measures to reduce the death rates.

But that is not published in the article.
Of course, a quick check finds The Center Square is a conservative news outlet so one might expect critical details that might be pro covid prevention have been left out.

The second link is not worthy of comment as it is not based on reality.

Anyway, this is just one scientists quick thoughts about some data and adding some critical thinking. I could be wrong, but that is how science works, come up with an idea and always look to prove or disprove it. In the end you hope to come up with the best answer for what you can measure and always be ready to change your mind when better data comes along.

Thank you - my reactions completely - thank you for stating the factual obvious. Correlation is absolutely not cause. It's notable that this is the same group who also claims that Covid is no worse than the flu, and only kills old people. Oops. I hear most of the dying also ate pickles that year. Domestic violence is up. Drug abuse is up. Anxiety and depression are up. Suicide is up. Starvation is up. Forest fires and tornadoes. Ad infinitum.

Like you I tire of that group of anti-vaxx, anti-science, pro-violence group whose mission in life seems to be "to own the libs", et al. It's not time for politics now.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:26   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

It feels like the OP is trying to make a point, but I'm not clear what it is.

Most countries have experienced a level of excess mortality during this pandemic, and definitely not all of it is Covid-19 deaths. There are lots of causal explanations for this, which vary widely from country to country, and probably region to region.

I know in Canada a lot of it is put down to missed and delayed diagnostic activity, and even delayed treatment due to resources being diverted to manage Covid-19 patients (most of which are unvaccinated ... but that's a different issue). ER staff are also reporting that people are showing up sicker in general (outside of Covid-19 cases) because they are delaying going to the hospital.

Anyway, here's one attempt at presenting the data: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/c...SA~ISR~BOL~ECU

You can see if you go to the active map, the excess mortality is:

USA: 16%
Canada: 3%
Mexico: 43%
UK: 11%
Russia: 30%
France: 6%
Germany: 4%
Spain: 12%
Sweden: 5%
Finland: 2%
Norway, Iceland, Denmark: <1%

Quote:
NOTE: (From World in Data): Excess mortality is a term used in epidemiology and public health that refers to the number of deaths from all causes during a crisis above and beyond what we would have expected to see under ‘normal’ conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cumulative-excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	250815  
Old 07-01-2022, 08:36   #7

The leading cause of death in USA adults is now drug overdoses, in particular fentanyl. Suicide is way way up too. (stats are out there, also besty is a social worker).

This has been the trend and it ramped up during lockdowns. Lockdowns have been shown by studies out of German universities, etc to NOT work. They did little to prevent covid transmission but have done so much to alienate and destroy peoples careers.

We are just now starting to experience the consequences of shutting down, permanently, much of the economy and the ever increasing burden of inflation from massive money printing.

Deaths are mainly from despair, and it's only going to get harder. Never a better time to be on a boat.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen
Old 07-01-2022, 09:00   #8

Boat: Shannon 38

Re: consequences of lockdown. Of course, different societies react differently to lockdowns, but what I've heard is that Australia (esp around Berth?) and China have the most strict lockdown protocols. The graphic from Mike's post shows Australia had lowered death rates. I am guessing the "gray" countries are no data, and I'm not sure I'd believe data coming from China anyhow.

While it is hard to sort out all the causes without better controlled studies, I'm thinking its the virus itself and the effects on the healthcare and mental healthcare systems, more so than the indirect causes due to lockdowns.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:02   #9

Boat: C&C Mega 30

I'm sure we're all familiar with the arguments about how many death are being claimed as Covid when it was possibly only a contributing factor, or arguably not the reason at all.

But there is very clear evidence that many people that are dying of covid aren't being reported as such. People getting sick and dying at home without a test are going to be listed as dying for some other reason in many parts of the country:

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...es/8899157002/

(And I'm sure we've all heard people arguing against getting tested, even if you are sick...)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:04   #10

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

Gotta' love Statistics and Data. China reports to have only lost 5000 people to Covid related deaths. Maybe we should be more like China???
Old 07-01-2022, 09:29   #11

Boat: Pearson 10M

Admin;
Please DELETE this thread.
It is obviously politically motivated dialogue designed to create divisions within the population, so those seeking power can prosper.
We need to work together for the common good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Can you think of any reason that this might be true? What changed in 2021?

https://www.thecentersquare.com/indi...c06725e2c.html

And in the article he alleges that other life insurance companies are reporting the same thing.

And then Dr Malone - now famous because of the Joe Rogan interview says:

https://rwmalonemd.substack.com/p/wh...-experiment-on

Enjoy your reading.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:34   #12

WOW !! and I do mean WOW !!
Just went to do a reply on this Sailing (Deaths) article,
Sign in and a health drink Ad. pops up,,,i guess if
Statistical deaths are being discussed,why couldn't
"Twilight Zone" Kombucha have it's say also..
Nah,that wasn't it but I just finished tying to the Dock
After a Delivery up from Martinique,,beautiful ! 20-30 kt
winds and 8-10 ft seas most of the way,incredible.
I sit down to have a non rolling coffee and find I have
4 bars on my phone again,,open up and find good old
C.F. right there,,,AND they're discussing dying while
Sitting on your couch ∆¶π√¥×~∆\®%¢π
Martha,chuck those lines off,we're heading back out
Into the Atlantic...
Have a Safe New year all,,and please,try NOT to expire
On a Couch..
Old 07-01-2022, 09:53   #13

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroflaherty View Post
The leading cause of death in USA adults is now drug overdoses, in particular fentanyl. Suicide is way way up too. (stats are out there, also besty is a social worker).

This has been the trend and it ramped up during lockdowns. Lockdowns have been shown by studies out of German universities, etc to NOT work. They did little to prevent covid transmission but have done so much to alienate and destroy peoples careers.

We are just now starting to experience the consequences of shutting down, permanently, much of the economy and the ever increasing burden of inflation from massive money printing.

Deaths are mainly from despair, and it's only going to get harder. Never a better time to be on a boat.

My observations completely agree with this assessment. Locally we have had 4 times the deaths from opiods as we have had from Covid. Police I talk to are saying that the incidence of suicide and domestic violence are through the roof.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:00   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Yup, "deaths of despair" is a term that came into use before the pandemic. It was used to explain the fact that the USA has seen a decline in its overall life expectancy. This has been attributed to rising self-inflicted mortality rates in previously middle-class (mostly white) populations. This is mostly deaths due to suicide, along with alcohol/drug use.

But clearly it applies here as well. There have been a large increase in suicide and drug overdose deaths in many parts of Canada. These are all counted in the excess mortality measure, and gets at the real cost of this pandemic.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:10   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

Your good at making things up aren’t you

The leading cause of death in the USA is heart disease. Deaths from “ despair “ dont even rate Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641579021.980161.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	250865

Tags
insurance