Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2020, 22:47   #1

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Looking ahead in a Covid World.

One must stay positive....which is why I am making forward plans which seem to change on a daily basis...

Currently in Australia where they plan on starting vaccinations in March so I reckon I will be jabbed in May maybe.
Ecuador has a similar time line for vaccinations...
https://www.metro.us/ecuador-prepares-for-covid-19/

Ecuador - rather surprisingly considering their rough time in March/April - is doing quite well just now.... better than either Sweden or Finland but that is bye the bye...
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...untry/ecuador/

So I would be hoping to travel maybe in July..... this would be dependent of Australia starting to open their inward border so I can get back in without too much fuss.... AA are quoting $15,000 return Sydney Guayaquil just now... you can go there on a one way ticket for $2000....

Which led me to thinking about insurance... and rather remarkably there are companies covering for Covid......
https://www.traveloffpath.com/covid-...-need-to-know/
AMEX on the other hand is reducing their gratis travel insurance..they will no longer cover me if I end up in hospital after picking fights with locals...

Sadly no-one is offering Covid cover for the over 70's...... yet..

Anyone else working on their sailing plans going forward?
Old 28-12-2020, 00:51   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Looking ahead in a Covid World.

Quote:
Anyone else working on their sailing plans going forward?
Yep, Ping, we hope to get north before the next winter freezes our souls. But despite low infection rates and the prospect of vaccination, I'm not making book on that working out for us. Sure hope you can get back to your boat and outta Ecuador.

Jim
Old 28-12-2020, 01:00   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Looking ahead in a Covid World.

Outta Ecuador is easy---ish....

Into somewhere else will be the next hurdle.....

Depending on condition of the boat - she is on the hard - Panama may be an option.

Plan A is back to Chile.... 20º of latitude back to Anto would be the softest option there.... a big offshore leg down to 40ºS is prefered... not sure about that with an untried boat....

Already have a bag packed with essential spares from March.... may need another bag full of string as some will have been sitting in the sun for a while...

Took 200 metres of 12mm ( a solid suitcase full ) over for a friend a few years back... that raised eyebrows when reclaiming the GST at Tulla ..... 'You have how much string...????'

Tags
head