Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 19:24   #181
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Mah mah mah mah myyy carona (my experience with it and some thoughts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

The simple truth is they have stronger immune systems.. they cannot afford to dope themselves up every time they get a cold, visits to doctors are often the last resort when at deaths door.. Diet is not meat and chicken loaded with antibiotics, its usually one from their yard or cage that they breed and save for special occasions or goat meat.. mainly living on rice, lentils, veg and un-levened breads.
You have to remember the bulk of the population are battered by bacteria and viruses from birth without the obsession to kill 99.99% of all known germs.

Gotta say the 18 months I spent living in Thailand, was probably the healthiest of my life - Great delicious Diet, lots of warm weather and a great lifestyle.
Old 17-08-2020, 19:27   #182
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
I guess by the same token eastern Europe did better because they are ‘eastern europeans’.

This is going somewhere dark. I feel like even fox thinks its too risky to spin it like this. But who knows.

You guys do know korea, japan and singapore are pretty clean places where people probably don’t have more immunity. And i dont remember any other huge corona virus outbreaks recently. Sars only killed 800, so east asians don’t all have more antibodies.

I was afraid this ‘they are just different’ argument would happen eventually. And i guess it has. Now we can just all say, oh well nothing we could have done. Its because we are too civilized.

I know you guys probably dont intend for the consequences to happen. But if this becomes mainstream what do you think its gonna happen. Some minority of The population looking for an excuse to hate are gonna spit in asian peoples faces saying they are immune.

How to twist things to give it a racist slant - It's only you that is putting that connotation on what is being said. FYI we live in a real world and all this twisting of meanings and over political correctness is part of the worlds problem today.
Old 17-08-2020, 19:50   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
How to twist things to give it a racist slant - It's only you that is putting that connotation on what is being said.

It's the fact that it's being said so casually, about others, based on their race, that makes it racist. In the nicest way, of course.

But pointing it out is PC (boo hiss)

And, worst of all, it's a big fat excuse. It's apparently unthinkable that some major western powers really dropped the pandemic ball. There must be some other reason why those Asian countries did better than us, amirite?
Old 17-08-2020, 20:06   #184
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

It's the fact that it's being said so casually, about others, based on their race, that makes it racist. In the nicest way, of course.

And, worst of all, it's a big fat excuse. It's apparently unthinkable that some major western powers really dropped the pandemic ball. There must be some other reason why those Asian countries did better than us, amirite?

If we were discussing why obese people are dying 100 times more than non obese would that be discriminatory? No its just a FACT, the same as stating that Asian countries populace are dying at a much lower rate than Western nations - Also a FACT - Discrimination "CAN" be a self fulfilling prophecy at times. AKA if you look for it you will find it, even when its not there sometimes.
Old 17-08-2020, 20:14   #185

The other question is whether they count the deaths of the elderly the same as we do. If we didnt count the deaths of the geriatric patients in the US, Italy etc, the covid numbers would be orders of magnitude lower and the hysteria would be much harder to sustain by the media.

What about where there were other known major health problems prior to infection with covid 19, like Lukemia, COPD, Diabetes etc ? My wife loves watching 600lb life and all of those people are just 1 sepsis incident from being dead, if a heart attack doesn't get them first. There are more of these people around than one wants to think...
Old 17-08-2020, 20:28   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
How to twist things to give it a racist slant - It's only you that is putting that connotation on what is being said. FYI we live in a real world and all this twisting of meanings and over political correctness is part of the worlds problem today.

The world has bigger problems than political correctness. But we do seem to have either too much of it or too little, which is the real problem. Too much is just god damn tiring and lets face it fake, too little leads to a slippery slope towards xenophobia.

I worked in California. I know what overdone political correctness is like. Believe me. I know it can be tiring always questioning what you are saying is somehow offensive and I admit minorities can get a way with a lot more and that is ABSOLUTELY wrong.

I'm sorry if my comments went a little off course. Let's just say it opens old wounds. But I think the underlying message has some merit. At this stage I don't think we should be deflecting criticisms of the response and suggesting ALL countries that are having more positive outcomes are somehow biologically less susceptible and not due to better policy.
Old 17-08-2020, 20:31   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
The other question is whether they count the deaths of the elderly the same as we do. If we didnt count the deaths of the geriatric patients in the US, Italy etc, the covid numbers would be orders of magnitude lower and the hysteria would be much harder to sustain by the media.

What about where there were other known major health problems prior to infection with covid 19, like Lukemia, COPD, Diabetes etc ? My wife loves watching 600lb life and all of those people are just 1 sepsis incident from being dead, if a heart attack doesn't get them first. There are more of these people around than one wants to think...
hahahaha...........ok. Where are you getting this from? Now somehow 'THEY' don't count elderly.

Maybe I'am giving you too much credit.

Look. I think it human nature to not blame ourselves when we loose control. But i urge you to to fight it.
Old 17-08-2020, 21:46   #188

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Look. Growing up in australia in the 90s. My dad and i were called chinks walking down the street in cooma. Luckily for me i also had a very close friend who was from cooma so i know it was just an isolated case and choose not to put everyone in the same basket. But for some This narrative is going to bring all the bad dirty chinaman jokes. There are cases already, but this is going to pseudo legitimize it.
Whilst there will always the ocassional small minded aussies most of us respect diversity.

That's also not to say many are getting very tired of the left wing PC brigade.
Old 18-08-2020, 05:20   #189

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

The simple truth is they have stronger immune systems.. they cannot afford to dope themselves up every time they get a cold, visits to doctors are often the last resort when at deaths door.. Diet is not meat and chicken loaded with antibiotics, its usually one from their yard or cage that they breed and save for special occasions or goat meat.. mainly living on rice, lentils, veg and un-levened breads.
You have to remember the bulk of the population are battered by bacteria and viruses from birth without the obsession to kill 99.99% of all known germs.
That may contribute to it OR that may be the entire explanation.

I tend to think it’s a combination of things but yes, you have a good point.
Old 18-08-2020, 05:28   #190

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Look. Growing up in australia in the 90s. My dad and i were called chinks walking down the street in cooma. Luckily for me i also had a very close friend who was from cooma so i know it was just an isolated case and choose not to put everyone in the same basket. But for some This narrative is going to bring all the bad dirty chinaman jokes. There are cases already, but this is going to pseudo legitimize it.
No, it’s looking at the data objectively.

You may have good reason to worry about this type of polarization. But that was far from the intent of my post.

Asians and Africans are rising in the USA at higher rates than whites. So it’s NOT a racial distinction. It’s something to do with the culture.

Boatman points out one possibility, but I don’t know that holds across the region. I get the sense Japan is as germ phobic as the USA. Don’t know for sure.

The concept of a past infection conferring immunity has wide acceptance.

The degree of infection worldwide (Excepting South America) seems to be tracking obesity, or maybe just caloric intake.
Old 18-08-2020, 05:31   #191

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Nonotright in any account.
Old 18-08-2020, 05:32   #192

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Nonotright in any account.

You are desperately trying to introduce politics into an apolitical discussion.
Old 18-08-2020, 05:47   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
No, it’s looking at the data objectively.

You may have good reason to worry about this type of polarization. But that was far from the intent of my post.

Asians and Africans are rising in the USA at higher rates than whites. So it’s NOT a racial distinction. It’s something to do with the culture.

Boatman points out one possibility, but I don’t know that holds across the region. I get the sense Japan is as germ phobic as the USA. Don’t know for sure.

The concept of a past infection conferring immunity has wide acceptance.

The degree of infection worldwide (Excepting South America) seems to be tracking obesity, or maybe just caloric intake.

Not sure what you mean by asians and africans rising? Covid? Social Economical? African africans? I guess if you are an african refugee its pretty hard to not go up from there. lets just not go there.

singapore with a bubble gum ban and fines for not flushing the toilet would take the germaphobe crown.

Not sure about the covid infection tracking obesity index thing. Like to see that.
Old 18-08-2020, 06:18   #194
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mah mah mah mah myyy carona (my experience with it and some thoughts)

Quote:
East asia includes much more advanced economies with clean cities and good health systems, yet they did well as well.

I think it would be a mistake to start this narrative of the”other” being biologically “different” due to being poor and dirty.

I know for some very poor countries there is unfortunately some truth to it. But we all know this narrative is not going to help anybody. Except the lets rip it and let nature take its course crowd.

But let me tell you. This is going to create racial tensions for minorities.

I was responding to the point about Pakistan, India and similar, yes there are good hospitals for the wealthy but.. that's the 1-5% the bulk live on a few Rupees a day and day to day.. also..
There have always been racial tensions for minorities.. and always will be though the exploiters will not hesitate to blow the Race Trumpet.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 18-08-2020, 06:37   #195
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mah mah mah mah myyy carona (my experience with it and some thoughts)

Quote:

And here we have a Trumpeter..
The bulk of Its bugger all to do with their race and everything to do with diet and type of upbringing.. white, yellow, black, brown or blue matters not.
Your pampered and have a lazy system or you learn to survive and your body responds accordingly.

Prison camps have proved that the fat and soft die first and the skinny wiry types hold out longest.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..

Tags
enc