Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 06:27   #241

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

Ya I feel for those that live aboard or are out cruising now. Anyone in the Bahamas right now gets my sympathy. I’m originally from there, not an ideal location to be with a supply chain meltdown, though being recently provisioned helps. For now. At anchor out in the cays would be just fine. In the GT anchorage or a marina? Naw. With a dog? My dog would eat me and be done w it lol!

What would Moitessier do?

This would be a good time for a long nonstop voyage. Any contact with ports would be difficult and perhaps irresponsible.

I’m staying at home like the rest, fortunate to have a good job where I already work from home and thousands of acres in the mountains adjacent. Having farmed for decades and then lived aboard for a while, I really feel for the people who are in situations very much less secure than mine, working or playing. Lots are forced to carry on. The Sioux Falls situation is a big black eye for Smithfield, now a Chinese holding.

Having never been unable to weigh anchor at my time of choosing, I have nothing to compare this to. One big, long low pressure system i guess. Hang in there MD! Et al.
Old 19-04-2020, 07:28   #242
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Colonel Bob,

We are “stuck” in Dominica. Abundant water and groceries. Fresh fruit and fish. Will likely transit back to States mid June, straight through.

We are suffering, I tell you, suffering! LOL
Old 19-04-2020, 07:46   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Is it time to close this thread as the Maryland theme has long passed?
Old 19-04-2020, 08:42   #244

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Not before a post summing up the situation there: when is it scheduled to be lifted for us Florida boaters wanting to spend the summers up north.
Old 19-04-2020, 08:46   #245

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Not before a post summing up the situation there: when is it scheduled to be lifted for us Florida boaters wanting to spend the summers up north.
You may head north now. Just avoid Maryland!
Old 19-04-2020, 09:13   #246

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
It depends on where North is at this point. You can transit Maryland and continue past it, but stopping in Maryland would be a problem.
Old 19-04-2020, 10:08   #247

We want to spend time on the Eastern Shore, maybe two weeks. I went to school in Delaware: Lots of old friends there. Then head up to New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Maine. We could always transit the Bay and stop longer in the Fall on the way south.
Old 19-04-2020, 10:24   #248

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
We want to spend time on the Eastern Shore, maybe two weeks. I went to school in Delaware: Lots of old friends there. Then head up to New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Maine. We could always transit the Bay and stop longer in the Fall on the way south.
By the time you arrive in the NYC area there is a decent chance that things will be officially open. If not, you still should have no issues. Connecticut is mostly open for marinas and some marinas on Long Island are open for boaters. IF you get up this way and can't find any please fee free to PM me and I will help to steer you in the right direction.

In addition to the marinas that are providing some services, there are also plenty that are not open officially but are not locked. They are great for tying up, provisioning in town, and heading back to your boat. Good luck with your trip!
Old 19-04-2020, 10:29   #249

Boat: Southerly 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I’d like to wait until clarity on reopening. I hear that lobbyists are working the governor to reopen boating. I can’t get to my boat there until that happens. I’d like to keep abreast of any news. I hear some other NE states are going to lift boating restrictions very soon.s
Old 19-04-2020, 14:15   #250

What is the outlook for such places as Newport, Woods Hole, Block Island, Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard? Do you think it would be feasible to cruise those areas this summer?

We were planning on staying in Jacksonville until June 1, but we could leave in a few days if we thought it would be worthwhile. We have the insurance issue with Florida and hurricane season like everyone else, so we want to go north eventually.
Old 19-04-2020, 14:20   #251

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
What is the outlook for such places as Newport, Woods Hole, Block Island, Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard? Do you think it would be feasible to cruise those areas this summer?

We were planning on staying in Jacksonville until June 1, but we could leave in a few days if we thought it would be worthwhile. We have the insurance issue with Florida and hurricane season like everyone else, so we want to go north eventually.

Not sure on those spots specifically, but pretty much anywhere in Long Island Sound or points north up the Hudson and into the NY Canals (and the NY side of Lake Ontario) should be fair game based on currently available information. So even if some areas end up off the list, there should be enough in NY/CT that will be open to give you some options.
Old 25-04-2020, 15:44   #252

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We just motored in the ICW from north of St Augustine to Fernandina Beach. In a timed hour between about the McCormick Bridge to about the Sisters Creek Bridge near Jacksonville, we met or were overtaken by 55 small motor boats or jet skis. That is not counting the boats anchored or beached along the way. Farther north between the public launch ramp at Sisters Creek and the sand bars in the Fort George River the traffic was too numerous to count. I could not set my drink down due to the wakes.

You all in Maryland have it made. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:40   #253

All the freedom fighters can stand down now, Maryland is officially allowing boating again starting at 0700 tomorrow. Subject to social distancing of course. Hopefully a bunch of covidiots don't ruin the privilege for the rest of us with parties on the sandbars.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:46   #254

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

That's why they call it "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

Left there 6 years ago for sunny low tax Florida.....never looked back.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:52   #255

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Quote:

At the moment all of RI requires a 14 day on vessel quarantine, regardless of how long you have been traveling non-stop if you are from out of state. New York is open as far as marinas and recreational boating goes but pretty much everything else is still closed. Same with CT and NJ. I'm not sure on MA and ME but I'm guessing by the end of this month most areas will allow boating and anchoring but it is still not clear on landing and many marinas are not currently accepting transients. Also not clear on pump-out facility availability.

Tags
boat, boating, Maryland