Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 06:59   #271
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

One more political post and we will infract the poster and close the thread.

You all know better.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:55   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
As a Pennsylvania resident who keeps my boat in Maryland, the out-of-state quarantine issue is of great interest.

https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-con...COVID19-08.pdf

I would assert that "regularly" does not have to mean daily, and "commute" does not have to be for a job. Note that the Interpretive Guidance document in the link refers to "commute to and from work" in Paragraph 1, but mentions "commute" without a reference to "work" in Paragraph 2a. Thus, paragraph 2a comprises non-work commutes, and a weekly commute into Maryland to enjoy one's boat should fall under this exclusion if the person is not from the Tri-state area (per CDC guidance).

All of this is subject to revision in future executive orders, and I do hope that boaters exhibit responsible behavior (no rafting, no congregating on docks, always wearing masks on docks, in public restrooms, and anywhere else where stagnant air or passing within 6 feet is possible). If not, the privilege of recreational boating could be taken away again.

I would appreciate hearing reports here from anyone who encounters difficulties from law enforcement regarding Maryland's quarantine requirements for those coming from out-of-state. My hope is that Maryland will consider us to fall into the "regular commuter" exception, but I am not aware that this exclusion has been tested.
One can read into or out of the executive order so as to attempt to find a loophole; when one attempts to pass through a loophole one in essence is breaking the social trust doctrine for the pandemic protocols. One should recognize that recreational boating is an exemption for Marylanders to exercise all the while abiding by the broader Stay At Home order. Initially recreational boating was banned so as to minimize social contact potential, it was not included in the essential activities which are the ONLY activities that were permitted to be away from one's home. You can exercise at your home or near your home, you don't need to travel out of state to stretch your legs and refresh your mind. Need meaning an essentiality, not merely a want or a desire, or a pleasure.

This is one of those instances in life, [literally about keeping lives safe, yours and others] where in one is either a part of the problem or part of the solution.

IMO, "commuting" from out of state for recreational boating purposes, or to prepare a boat for recreational boating would not rise to the level of an essential activity and such travel would be banned under the executive orders.

If "commuting" was permitted it would require that after you complete your day's activity that you would thence need to return out of state and you would be required to avoid contact with anyone in the state. Commuting implies not residing. You drive in, tend to your essential task, then drive out.

Recall the initial executive order:

April 1, 2020
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan has signed a new Executive Order (Order) that mandates all individuals living in Maryland to stay at home unless they work in “Essential Businesses,” are engaged in “Essential Activities,” or are engaged in other limited activity. The Order went into effect at 8:00 p.m. on March 30, 2020, and will remain effective until after the termination of the state of emergency and the proclamation of the catastrophic health emergency has been rescinded, or until rescinded, superseded, amended, or revised by additional orders.

The Order is designed to ensure that the maximum number of people are in the state self-quarantine to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), while enabling essential business and activities to continue.

In connection with the announcement of the Order, Governor Hogan stated that people traveling into Maryland from anywhere outside of Maryland are required to self-quarantine for 14 days. Interpretive Guidance COVID19-08, which the Office of Legal Counsel issued on March 30, 2020, clarifies that the requirement for travelers into Maryland to self-quarantine does not apply to people who regularly commute into Maryland from an adjacent state or the District of Columbia or vice versa, or to people transiting through Maryland who have only minimal contact with Maryland (i.e., only stopping for fuel, food, or other necessary supplies, not making contact with anyone for more than three minutes at a distance of less than six feet). Commuters must follow federal and state health department guidance regarding self-quarantining (for example, because of recent travel to the New York/Tri-State area) even if not required to self-quarantine under the new Maryland requirement.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:04   #273

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
A cursory google search is not sufficient. That's just an abstract that you linked.

Chotu is almost right on the science - 0.3 micron is the hardest size to remove, which is why the test method is developed for that size. Large particles are easier to capture because of pore blockage (surface filtration). Smaller particles are easier to capture because their Brownian motion causes collisions with the fibers even though they are smaller than the pores (depth filtration). N95 masks are often less than 95% efficient for a number of reasons, including breakthrough as the depth filter becomes saturated, and also because they often fit poorly and leak around the edges. These factors can only be understood by reading the full article, but my subscription to Elsevier has expired.

I suggest that your attitude and anger detract from your posts by raising skepticism over your motives and bias.
Whoops. Sorry about the decimal. I do that all the time on this subject.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:08   #274
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Whoops. Sorry about the decimal. I do that all the time on this subject.
Yeah the decimal matters.. otherwise this happens.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:22   #275

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
A cursory google search is not sufficient. That's just an abstract that you linked.

I suggest that your attitude and anger detract from your posts by raising skepticism over your motives and bias.
You are correct. A cursory search doesn't tell the whole story but does show the shortfalls of the still elusive N95 mask. I wont even bother discussing the much more common handkerchief over the nose effectiveness.

Yes, I am angry over being denied my rights. Since my motives are in question with you, let me spell it out. I want my freedoms back. Yep, that simple.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:24   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

That's exactly what my wife made for me to wear. Well, mine is a looser weave. If that won't stop those buggers I don't know what will.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:25   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Several magnitudes of order that.

What's naught to worry about.

At least one's nose will not get cold.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:49   #278

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Keep in mind, the masks don't have to filter every virus particle to help significantly. Even a fabric mask will still catch spit droplets, etc. that contain the virus, greatly reducing the amount that can be spread. And in particular, that reduces the virus being sprayed onto surfaces.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:08   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Keep in mind, the masks don't have to filter every virus particle to help significantly. Even a fabric mask will still catch spit droplets, etc. that contain the virus, greatly reducing the amount that can be spread. And in particular, that reduces the virus being sprayed onto surfaces.
Maybe. Fauci said "there is no evidence" of that though. I'm sure it's become more effective over time though. Hope is a wonderful thing I guess.
I live in Frederick, MD, home of the US Army Chemical and Biological testing lab. I frequent the Duncan Donuts down the street from the gates of the Army base and ask military personel how the Covid-19 research is doing. Back in January or February I was told they had a dozen infected patient there. I found it strange since they don't have a hospital there. He said way back then the response would be worse than the virus.
My wife's father worked on base and his entire family was required to use the bases medical facilities. You couldn't go to civilian doctors. I assume it was some sort of early warning system of accidental releases.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:11   #280

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
I tried to call several numbers at DNR, but phone greetings basically say they're understaffed and overwhelmed. I sent an email and await a response. (Let me know if you have an "inside track" to someone.) There is still dust to settle, so anything they tell me could be overridden later anyway.
I would call my contacts but my phone quite literally blew up and I'm waiting for the replacement. It should show up tonight. Fingers crossed. I leave tomorrow morning on delivery and will try to call DNRP from the car if I have a phone.
Old 07-05-2020, 13:16   #281
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
One can read into or out of the executive order so as to attempt to find a loophole; when one attempts to pass through a loophole one in essence is breaking the social trust doctrine for the pandemic protocols. One should recognize that recreational boating is an exemption for Marylanders to exercise all the while abiding by the broader Stay At Home order. Initially recreational boating was banned so as to minimize social contact potential, it was not included in the essential activities which are the ONLY activities that were permitted to be away from one's home. You can exercise at your home or near your home, you don't need to travel out of state to stretch your legs and refresh your mind. Need meaning an essentiality, not merely a want or a desire, or a pleasure.

This is one of those instances in life, [literally about keeping lives safe, yours and others] where in one is either a part of the problem or part of the solution.

IMO, "commuting" from out of state for recreational boating purposes, or to prepare a boat for recreational boating would not rise to the level of an essential activity and such travel would be banned under the executive orders.

If "commuting" was permitted it would require that after you complete your day's activity that you would thence need to return out of state and you would be required to avoid contact with anyone in the state. Commuting implies not residing. You drive in, tend to your essential task, then drive out.

Recall the initial executive order:

April 1, 2020
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan has signed a new Executive Order (Order) that mandates all individuals living in Maryland to stay at home unless they work in “Essential Businesses,” are engaged in “Essential Activities,” or are engaged in other limited activity. The Order went into effect at 8:00 p.m. on March 30, 2020, and will remain effective until after the termination of the state of emergency and the proclamation of the catastrophic health emergency has been rescinded, or until rescinded, superseded, amended, or revised by additional orders.

The Order is designed to ensure that the maximum number of people are in the state self-quarantine to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), while enabling essential business and activities to continue.

In connection with the announcement of the Order, Governor Hogan stated that people traveling into Maryland from anywhere outside of Maryland are required to self-quarantine for 14 days. Interpretive Guidance COVID19-08, which the Office of Legal Counsel issued on March 30, 2020, clarifies that the requirement for travelers into Maryland to self-quarantine does not apply to people who regularly commute into Maryland from an adjacent state or the District of Columbia or vice versa, or to people transiting through Maryland who have only minimal contact with Maryland (i.e., only stopping for fuel, food, or other necessary supplies, not making contact with anyone for more than three minutes at a distance of less than six feet). Commuters must follow federal and state health department guidance regarding self-quarantining (for example, because of recent travel to the New York/Tri-State area) even if not required to self-quarantine under the new Maryland requirement.

But, for what it is worth, Maryland's golf courses were also opened today, in the same executive order from the Governor. However, states surrounding Maryland have opened their golf courses some time ago, and these courses have seen unusual rates of daily play, as golfers from Maryland have commuted or driven out of state to play golf! Much to the dismay of Maryland golf course operators, pros, etc. So, I see some similarities, here.
Old 07-05-2020, 15:02   #282
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can we try and stay somewhat on topic please? I know some of you are bored during the lockdown, and as such we are given long discourses, but kinda would appreciate boating related? Golfing dont make it.

Please?
Old 07-05-2020, 15:21   #283

OK Weavis. I avoid these type of threads like the plague.
Old 07-05-2020, 16:57   #284

This is a harsh twist.

Annapolis seasonal increase in marina fees impacting winter season liveaboards that have not been able to move to a different location due to Covid-19 lockdown before the summer slip fee rates escalation arose on April 1.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/coron...cbu-story.html

As the summer season kicks off on April 1, at Annapolis City Dock, some boaters have decried an eightfold increase in slip rentals prices, arguing they can’t leave and have nowhere else to go during the coronavirus pandemic. Due to a stay-at-home order issued by Gov. Larry Hogan, a group of live-aboards were unable to leave the dock.
Lowering the rates could put the city at risk of losing millions of dollars as a federal grant that funds the City dock prohibits competitive slip fees during the summer season. Annually, the city offers reduced rent at City Dock slips from November through March, but on April 1 each year, it begins to charge summer rental rates. The winter rate is $8 per foot per month plus an additional fee for electric hook up. In the summer, the rate jumps to $2.25 per foot per day. Therefore, a 25-foot boat would pay about $200 per month in the winter. In the summer, rent would be close to $1,700. Typically winter boaters leave their City Dock slips to sail elsewhere or move to another marina, but the pandemic has prevented them from doing so. . . . the pandemic has caused many marinas to close while others aren’t accepting new boats or don’t allow live-aboards all together.
Old 07-05-2020, 17:05   #285

Well two major boat shows had been cancelled in Maryland due to the pandemic but there is still hope that the bigger shows will still occur in October.

Cancelled:
2020 Bay Bridge Boat Show
More than 400 boats up to 75 feet in length!
April 17 – 19, 2020 | Stevensville, MD

2020 Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show
Kick off the sailing season in style.
April 24 – 26, 2020 | City Dock, Annapolis, MD

May still happen:

2020 United States Powerboat Show
Come for the show, leave with a lifestyle.
October 1 – 4, 2020 |City Dock, Annapolis, MD

2020 United States Sailboat Show
The worlds largest and most prestigious sailboat show.
October 8 – 12, 2020 | City Dock, Annapolis, MD

Tags
boat, boating, Maryland