Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 09:35   #31

Boat: Baba 40
Re: Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Another blanket statement without an ounce of support or explanation.
Another person that can’t possibly imagine anyone not acting responsibly? We’re liveaboards in Florida and on any given day, see powerboats packed to the gunnels with people running up and down the ICW. Having an imagination, I understand families can consist of more than dad, mom, and 2.5 kids (and the dog, of course), but the numbers we’ve seen on these boats is cause for concern.

Don’t even get me started on Spring Breakers. That’s just Darwin in action...
Old 01-04-2020, 09:37   #32

Borders are shut to non-essential travel across the globe. Essential travel is explicitly defined by the relevant jurisdictions. If you are in the USA, one is in one of the only 15 federation of the nations of the world, and thus have to contend with the multiple layers of jurisdictions and orders; federal, State, County and incorporated municipal [city / townships], each with their own ordinances. If you cross a border, you need to know the law as to permitting departure and the law as to entry.

If your vessel is foreign flagged that offers an entirely additional factor as to being permitted for entry or passage. One can simply choose to or be required to transit in international waters, e.g., The Bahamas by decree no longer allow foreign flagged vessels to transit in Bahamian waters, you are required to go around the isles. You can continue your "innocent passage" in international waters.

Your vessel's nation state of flagging matters. By way of example, the USA has implemented the historically normal quarantine practices of not allowing free pratique for vessels that have or are suspected to have contagion. The USA is not permitting foreign flagged cruise ships from entry into the USA waters if they have ill persons aboard.

During a world crisis, a vessel's Nation of Flagging Matters. Do you have a the Black / Yellow Jack signal flag for your vessel? Most yachts do not.

"The U.S. Coast Guard has directed all cruise ships to prepare to treat any sick passengers and crew on board while being sequestered “indefinitely" offshore during the coronavirus pandemic.

The new rules require daily updates on each ship's coronavirus caseload for vessels in U.S. waters, and come with a stiff warning: Any foreign-flagged vessels “that loiter beyond U.S. territorial seas" should try first to medically evacuate the very sick to those countries instead.

Many of South Florida's cruise ships are registered in the Bahamas, where hospital capacity is limited and people are still recovering from last year's Hurricane Dorian.

The rules, which apply to any vessel carrying more than 50 people, were issued in a March 29 safety bulletin signed by Coast Guard Rear Admiral E.C. Jones, whose district includes Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Puerto Rico.

Dozens of cruise ships are either lined up at Port Miami and Port Everglades or waiting offshore due to the coronavirus pandemic. Most have only crew aboard, but the Carnival Corp., which owns nine cruise lines with a total of 105 ships, notified the SEC Tuesday that it has more than 6,000 passengers still at sea, on three ships that will soon arrive in Fort Civitavecchia, Italy, and Southampton, England, as well as Fort Lauderdale.

Federal, state and local officials have been negotiating over whether Carnival's Holland America cruise ships, the Zaandam and Rotterdam, would be allowed to dock at Port Everglades this week. But the company's Coral Princess is coming, too, with what that ship's medical center called a higher than normal number of people with flu-like symptoms.

Two of four deaths on the Zaandam were blamed on COVID-19 and nine people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the company said. At least 190 more reported symptoms. More than 300 Americans are on Zaandam and Rotterdam.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Tuesday that the state's healthcare system is stretched too thin to take on the Zaandam's coronavirus caseload. “Just to drop people off at the place where we're having the highest number of cases right now just doesn't make a whole lot of sense," DeSantis said.

President Donald Trump said later that he would speak with his fellow Republican. “They're dying on the ship,” Trump said. “I'm going to do what's right. Not only for us, but for humanity.”

Under normal conditions, when a passenger or crew member become too ill for the ship's medical team to care for, they call the Coast Guard to provide a medical evacuation to an onshore hospital. Under the new rules, sick passengers would be sequestered indefinitely on board.

For most people, the virus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough, that clear up in two to three weeks. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia and death.

“This is necessary as shore-side medical facilities may reach full capacity and lose the ability to accept and effectively treat additional critically-ill patients," the memo said. “A potential evacuee has better access to comfortable surroundings and the medical staff on board the foreign passenger vessel where care is already being provided.”

The document requires all ships in U.S. waters to report their numbers of sick and dead on board each day or face civil penalties or criminal prosecution. The Coast Guard will decide if a transfer is absolutely necessary, but the cruise line would be responsible for arranging on-shore transportation and hospital beds.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:38   #33

Boat: C&C

Are they still allowing the bridges to operate throughout the Intercostal and Lauderdale New River or have they closed them also? That would screw almost everyone!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:43   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Another person that can’t possibly imagine anyone not acting responsibly? We’re liveaboards in Florida and on any given day, see powerboats packed to the gunnels with people running up and down the ICW. Having an imagination, I understand families can consist of more than dad, mom, and 2.5 kids (and the dog, of course), but the numbers we’ve seen on these boats is cause for concern.

Don’t even get me started on Spring Breakers. That’s just Darwin in action...
So go blast them out of the water with my blessings. I’ll help.

I see Darwin in full swing here and power to him.

What does hell does that have to do with cruisers returning to the USA from abroad?
Old 01-04-2020, 09:56   #35

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

The passengers on the zandaam boarded on March 7 weeks after the Diamond Princess was quarantined in Yokohama. In fact it was the very next day on March 8 that she docked in Oakland and began unloading sick passengers and crew. It was sheer stupidity on the part of the passengers to start the cruise and criminal negligence for the cruise line to permit them onboard.

If these people have a death wish then we should allow them to fulfill it. Let them take responsibility for their actions and do not let them take up ICU beds and ventilators that could save the lives of those who are ill through no fault of their own. These idiots are 100% to blame for their predicament.

How would you react if your child or your wife was denied access to a respirator because some moron from the Zaandam was using it? When your loved one had done everything possible to avoid the virus and was then left to die to save someone who had done everything possible to get it?

If Trump wants to let them ashore then let them turn Mar-a-Lago into a free clinic for them.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:04   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
What utter BS. The same order that says that I can't take my family sailing on my boat says:

So a charter boat can bring together 10 completely unrelated individuals, break all kinds of basic rules about quarantine, and is completely "legal" but taking a group of people that have been isolated together onto a boat where they don't come into contact with anyone else is "illegal"?

I am in Virginia and dread the possibility of not sailing as I have just retired and bought a boat. I agree completely with the above. I sail solo so no problem distancing and the boat is only 19' long so not much chance of partying. Additionally, I have a fishing rod at home so I will just trail a line behind me if necessary. Maybe I will buy a whole fish at a fish market and put it on the hook to prove I am catching food.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:05   #37

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Getting back to Maryland and interpretations of Governor Hogan's March 30 Order . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I live on my sailboat – can I still be in my boat slip or moored out?
If your boat serves as your residence, you can remain on the vessel.
Yes. There is an exemption for those living in RVs and boats IF they have no other physical address for home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Are marinas an essential business now that boating is not allowed?
Most seem to be open simply because they at some point have sold fuel to law enforcement (local and State) or Coast Guard. However, call first because I know of marinas with the gate open but you can't find anybody and may be chased out.
[/QUOTE]
Old 01-04-2020, 10:09   #38

Okay, now to spin this thread to a Cat vs. Mono discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catmono.PNG
Views:	116
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	211819  
Old 01-04-2020, 10:18   #39

Strongly suggest you look at the waterwayguide for COVID-19 updates from marinas. One will find that many have closed or are not open to transients, and such guide should be checked by direct phone contact with the marina that you have your boat in or are potentially desiring to enter. There definitely are differences between specific states and municipalities as it relates to whether the business are closed and locked down.
One can sort by State, just click on the column titled State and it will reorganize the list by geography instead of alphabetical by name of the marina.

http://https://www.waterwayguide.com/covid-19-reports

Some examples:

March 30, 2020 As the COVID-19 pandemic increases its grip on the state of Maryland, our primary goal remains the safety and health of our customers, staff, friends, and families. Today Governor Hogan issued a stay-at-home order for all Maryland residents. This changes our status and we want to make you aware of the impacts here at Tidewater Marina. Our Offices, Store, Hi & Dri, Service Department, and Fuel Dock will remain closed until further notice. The gates will be kept closed 24/7. The gate code will still allow access to customers. However, the bathrooms will be kept closed and locked. Our security guards will be on site as usual, and we will be checking on the property on a regular basis. However, our staff will be off until we’re given the okay to re-open. The best way to communicate with us during the closure is through email, and we will also have limited access to voicemail. We have frozen our Launch Schedule at this time, and we will make all adjustments once we return to work. We appreciate your understanding as we work through this unprecedented situation. Let’s all hope this ends as soon as possible, and we can get back out on the water where we belong. Your patience and your continued support are greatly appreciated by all of our family here at Tidewater. Be safe, and we hope to see you soon! Garrett Pensell Jeff Andrews

March 30, 2020 - By executive order of Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, all residents who are not considered essential by their work or whose work is not considered an essential business are ordered to stay at home. How does this effect Haven Harbour Marina Resorts?

In response to the governor's mandate, our public closure is extended and expanded to include the closing of our operation completely and indefinitely. We have made this difficult decision with the best interest of our community and fellow Marylanders in mind.

Access to our properties, including both Haven Harbour Marina (HHM) and Haven Harbour South (HHS) boatyards as well as the Inn at Haven Harbour, is prohibited effective Monday, March 30 at 5:00 p.m. ET. This closure includes all offices, restrooms, fuel dock and marine goods.

A daily boatyard check will be conducted at both HHM and HHS by essential personnel only.

All incoming calls made after 5:00 p.m. ET Monday, March 30 will be directed to an automated voicemail messaging system indefinitely.

We cannot guarantee office employees will be monitoring their email accounts nor physically mailed letters, checks and other materials. However, for essential business and emergency purposes only, messages to email@havenharbour.com will be checked occasionally and responded to if necessary.

As a business, we greatly appreciate the continued support and patience that has been given by our customers and guests during such a busy time of year. We hope that a solution to this crisis and a return to normalcy are well on their way, and continue to wish the best of health and safety to you all. Thank you.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:19   #40

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Old 01-04-2020, 10:32   #41

Pence says Italy may be closest comparison now to coronavirus situation in U.S.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:34   #42
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

I never thought I would find a cat/mono debate to be a welcome relief from other bickering!
Old 01-04-2020, 10:39   #43

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I never thought I would find a cat/mono debate to be a welcome relief from other bickering!
That's because on that debate you absolutely KNOW you are on the right side
Old 01-04-2020, 10:56   #44

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

In New Zealand, the Maritime NZ Director has 'urged' boaters to stay at home. His primary concern is that if a boater needs assistance, it exposes his staff unnecessarily.

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/publi.../20200327a.asp

In San Diego, while boat ramps are officially closed, using your boat for sailing, fishing, etc is permitted as long as 'physical distancing' is maintained.

https://www.portofsandiego.org/covid...iegos-response

Stay safe and healthy.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:59   #45

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Covid, Mono(nucleosis), or Cat(scratch) fever?

Tags
boat, boating, Maryland