Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 11:08   #46

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

Covid, Mono(nucleosis), Cat(scratch) fever, Tri(chinosis)?

Let's not artificially restrict the debate right from the start.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:21   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
That's because on that debate you absolutely KNOW you are on the right side
That be to Starboard, Eh; correct?

Here in Montana, the Governor and the Department of Natural Resources have declared the coronavirus to be an endangered species of special concern and have required it to be placed under Catch and Release practices. You are not allowed to be in possession of such, not even one. Recommend use of barbless hooks.

Today is my wedding anniversary, we have been Staying At Home for many days now, and getting along nicely . We awoke to blizzard conditions this morning, whereas yesterday the lawn was greening; so the weather is aiding in maintaining social distancing and easing the stay at home preferences. This snap cold spell, after I had put the snow shovel away two days ago, What was I thinking, of course the moment you put a snow shovel away you are inviting Old Man winter to comeback for a revisit. Canada could you please keep your cold weather on your side of the lockedown border, I'm pretty sure your cold air should stay up north being non-essential travel.

Looking forward to our usual practice of putting our smaller of three sailboats back into the water on my birthday, May 2nd, for a day trip out and about the islands, the water should have warmed to a few degrees above 40 Fahrenheit by then, so standing in the water to push the boat off the trailer is then just a tad uncomfortable to bear. Will likely again be the first sailboat out for the season and the only boater, wonderful to have the portability of trailering a Hobie Tandem Island Adventure for use on alpine lakes and for early season sailing before the main marinas open around Memorial Day when our larger sailboat can be launched and placed in its slip. Missed out on wintering in the tropics this year, ahh but there is always next year.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:27   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
That be to Starboard, Eh; correct?
Only to those who are forward thinking, from the rear-facing perspective right is to port
Old 01-04-2020, 11:29   #49

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Peter1949, thanks much, I will call. Just trying to get my "new" boat out of MD and back to NC so NOT a MD resident. . It is a cat so able to achieve social distancing and no desire to go to the Bahamas. Will carry plenty of fuel to avoid fuel stops and anchor.

Have good friends just chased out of the DR and having a hard time getting to the USVI.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:50   #50

Boat: Island Packet 40

The madness and panic is world wide. Where I am at the moment there is a large island. The state authorities have decreed that you can approach the island but must not anchor closer than 100 metres from the shore. It has extensive sand flats in numerous places, and a few metres of tidal range, high or low water?
Old 01-04-2020, 12:13   #51

Quote:
Only to those who are forward thinking, from the rear-facing perspective right is to port

Well then that makes you just aft, which is better than being daft.

When I have newbies aboard, I like to keep things simple, non-nautical.

Front, right, left, rear. Forward, backwards.

Duck, duck, boom. Duck, duck, kaboom.

That rope. No the other rope. Dear, you have to pull on the rope, pushing doesn't work.

Windward, that be the side of the boat you don't piss towards or heave over.

Tiller, hands off, my tiller.

Here, hold my beer.

In the likely event of a water landing, a life jacket may be found under your seat.

Keep your head, arms, hands, legs, and feet inside the boat at all times and remain seated until the boat has come to a complete stop and the captain has turned off the seatbelt and lifejacket sign.

Last but not least: Sorry for the things I said when we were docking.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:42   #52

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Montanan, I thought you were describing dodgeball! The 4 ‘D’s of dodgeball, dodge, duck, dip, and dodge....
You have seatbelts? Boy, my boat is old!
Old 01-04-2020, 12:48   #53

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Our grandparents and our parents fought and won two world wars and survived the Great Depression. We are being asked to stay home for a couple of months. Are we up to the challenge?
Old 01-04-2020, 13:00   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Montanan, I thought you were describing dodgeball! The 4 ‘D’s of dodgeball, dodge, duck, dip, and dodge....
You have seatbelts? Boy, my boat is old!
Just would tell them of a seatbelt sign, no seatbelts on board, but the newbies don't know that so it keeps them entertained looking for their belt and for the sign. Fool them once, can't fool them twice.

The 4'Ds that is a good to know.

It seems that the schools these days don't allow dodgeball much anymore, too many injuries and litigation. I always enjoyed those inclimate weather days in both junior and senior high school when the coaches would put all the guys into the basketball gym, split the assembly into halves then toss in about 10 soccer balls for which one played mass dodge. If you caught the ball tossed at you, the tosser was out, if you got hit, you were out. The injuries often would occur if you were standing behind someone and they ducked or moved out of the way and you simply didn't see the fast pitched ball coming and took one in the face, downed and out. Swollen bruised faces and flesh body parts, bloody noses, broken noses and teeth, concussions, lacerations, sometimes hits to the groin, which would make everyone wince, but all good fun. With each passing year, the bigger and stronger we got the more brutal the action, especially when the other side of say 75 persons held many balls and could hurl them in a coordinated fashion that there would be no way you could catch more than one at a time, or dodge all of them. Cringeworthy. But payback would be a bitch when the game started anew, you recall which of your mates was going to get it.
Old 01-04-2020, 13:01   #55

Not without asking - "why?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Our grandparents and our parents fought and won two world wars and survived the Great Depression. We are being asked to stay home for a couple of months. Are we up to the challenge?
Old 01-04-2020, 13:11   #56
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Not without asking - "why?"

If we are going with a wartime analogy, soldiers don't get to ask "why."
Old 01-04-2020, 13:15   #57

Boat: Beneteau 343

As I headed out this morning for a spectacular couple of days of sailing the Emerald Coast I heard about the FL governor issuing a stay at home order. Very few boats are out and the weather is near perfect. I don’t live aboard and will be home in a few days. I hope this won’t be my last sail in April but I am going to make the most of it just in case.
Old 01-04-2020, 13:29   #58

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

The OP said: "zero risk of transmission" if he goes boating.

So, you're never going to need food, fuel, a pump-out, clean clothes, parts or ??? LMAO

Just stay home.

For the record: I have a sis who is a nurse on the front lines in Milwaukee. She is 60 - and has broken the ribs of 2 covid-19 patients in the last week doing CPR, because they coded. And it's not even bad there - yet.

Just stay home.
Old 01-04-2020, 13:33   #59

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
The OP said: "zero risk of transmission" if he goes boating.

So, you're never going to need food, fuel, a pump-out, clean clothes, parts or ??? LMAO
Depending on where you're boating and how marinas are handling fuel and pump outs, those can be managed pretty safely. Personally for those of us with land homes, I'd suggest not boating anywhere (in places where it's still allowed) where you can't get home in a day if necessary.

That means fuel and pump-outs are the only extra concerns, as it's easy to plan a day at home to do laundry, etc. rather than using a marina or public laundromat. If parts are needed, my plan would depend on urgency. If it can be ordered and met at home (not urgent) or delivered to my current location safely, that would be the choice. I'd make pretty sure to avoid going into a store for parts.
Old 01-04-2020, 13:50   #60

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

rslifkin - "managed pretty safely" does not equate to "zero risk of transmission".

Tags
boat, boating, Maryland