Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 15:02   #121

Re: Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetter View Post
This is an overt power grab by your crazy NE liberal democrats.

There is no reason why a person could not take his or her sailboat out on the Chesapeake but somehow CHILDCARE and DOG GROOMING facilities are exempt.

This is totally illogical and stupid on its face.

When therapies like Hydrochloroquin (sp?) and plasma transfusions finally get out into the public and knock this thing down and we come out of this with many deaths but not NEARLY the 250 K they are scaring us with, will we be able to fire the incompetent politicians that have made one bad emotional decision after another?!

They have not shut down boating in FL. but we have our own sets of absolutely stupid and unsupportable closures.

Good Luck -- Move out of MD.
We're all talking about an executive order by our Republican governor Larry Hogan. You may not like the measures being taken, but if you're going to insist on making this political please at least have the basic knowledge of who the guy who issued the executive order you're railing at is! Thank you.
Old 02-04-2020, 17:26   #122

Boat: Tartan 40
Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

as someone who has been waiting to escape on weekends onto the water isolated with just my family, this was a major blow. It makes me feel better to hear other states are having same issue.
And I can handle being part of greater good and difficult enforceability of the social distancing mandates on the water without a blanket ban. But.... the blatant exception made for fishing is really irking.
I would like this thread to evolve to understand more about what is being enforced, and whether a blind eye is turned toward those who boat in solitude especially if this drags on
Old 02-04-2020, 17:40   #123

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
as someone who has been waiting to escape in the water isolated with just my family, this was a major blow. It makes me feel better to hear other states are having same issue.
And I can handle being part of greater good and difficult enforceability of the social distancing mandates on the water without a blanket ban. But.... the blatant exception made for fishing parties is really irking.
I would like this thread to evolve to understand more about what is being enforced, and whether a blind eye is turned toward those who boat in solitude especially if this drags on
Hard to understand, right?

Far less exposure to people if you're staying on the boat for the summer as we are doing.

I mean there is an exception of the boat is your home. It is for us, although we have a couple other homes too (boats and RV). The boat is the safest place for a carrier of the virus or a non carrier (assuming non symptomatic carrier).

Best for the common good because you can provision better and stay out nearly all summer.
Old 02-04-2020, 17:46   #124

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
We're all talking about an executive order by our Republican governor Larry Hogan. You may not like the measures being taken, but if you're going to insist on making this political please at least have the basic knowledge of who the guy who issued the executive order you're railing at is! Thank you.

Florida’s governor is also republican, no boating allowed in his hometown of Miami
Old 02-04-2020, 18:01   #125

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
A few weeks ago it was nice and cold. I sail all winter, and Since about December 1st, I never saw more the 1-4 boats out in a day (Herring Bay, which has some of the largest marinas on the Chesapeake). Certainly no partyers, only committed sailors and a few fishermen. Now that it's getting warm, they're expecting hordes of board people to swamp launch ramps and start rafting up. They've seen it other places and it scares them.

Would boaters have been able to self discipline and follow guidelines? The Florida party crew has convinced them we are not disciplined, we're just a partying rabble. I believe sailors could have followed the rules, but we are a tiny part of the boating universe. I also feel sorry for many serious fisherman and power boaters who would have followed the rules. But we all got painted with the party animal brush.
I had something of the same thought. My boat is in Baltimore at a large marina. Then my wife pointed out what life there is like: go up to the head (in the club house), get food at the grocery (across the street), talk to others (could be done distantly). So..it's not as single as single handed implies.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Old 02-04-2020, 18:20   #126

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
I had something of the same thought. My boat is in Baltimore at a large marina. Then my wife pointed out what life there is like: go up to the head (in the club house), get food at the grocery (across the street), talk to others (could be done distantly). So..it's not as single as single handed implies.
This virus is drawing out the huge differences in the way we use our boats.

I stay on anchor almost exclusively. I go ashore in empty places for walks. I don't drink or go out to eat (better quality food on the boat). I think it's fun to provision up and be a mizer with diesel sailing from place to place. We don't talk to other boaters really.

We're going to the boat because it's the ultimate in social distancing. But that's just because I use it that way.
Old 02-04-2020, 18:41   #127
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post

After things calm down, my guess is certain bans will be lifted but others will remain. So the question is, can you separate boating from socializing?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-232145.html

For me it's easy. I sail. But can you used the head at home or on the boat, bring groceries from home, and skip the chatter? I'm curious. Would that be easy or hard?

Times are a changing.
Old 02-04-2020, 18:55   #128

Boat: Outremer 50S

I do think that is a big part of the ban. For me recreational boating is finding a quiet, isolated anchorage where I can spend some time alone, venturing out in the kayak to watch the bears foraging on the shoreline. If another human shows up and scares them away I find it frustrating (for the moment, after all, they’re only seeking the same thing I am).

But I also took some friends out sailing in Kaneohe Bay last spring, and the absolute horde of boats at the Sandbar was nothing short of amazing. Trying to explain that difference to officialdom, and have a way to enforce distancing is a tough row to hoe.
Old 02-04-2020, 22:17   #129

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I'll be happy to whine about it. Out of all the exceptions out there this has to be the one that breaks the most basic rules about quarantine. A commercial fisherman, always working with the same crew, sure. That expands the risk pool, but the risk pool can (as long as the crew and buyers don't change) be managed and known. Same with many other "essential" jobs.

Bringing together a group of strangers on a head boat, having them interact with the crew, who then interact with next group of strangers on the next charter, that's just about the most asinine definition of isolation I've heard - it is, in fact, the description of an almost perfect way to spread a disease without control.

If we believe that isolation is useful and the "right" thing to do then not calling out such downright dangerous exclusions to the isolation order is an abrogation of our duty.
I agree 1000%. In my post on the same subject, I tried to type out the word "asinine" to describe this clueless government ruling, but ended up using a gentler word because neither I nor my spell checker knew how to spell it! THANKS!
Old 02-04-2020, 22:50   #130
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've thought about it, and I think the best option for me is to add a pair of rod holders and actually go fishing. It's fun and it's legal and it meets the intent. I'll sail too, either trolling or to and from bottom fishing spots. Now that I think about it, I haven't been fishing enough lately.

Old 02-04-2020, 23:13   #131

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

OK then, here in the peoples republic of california, gun shops are closed but pot shops are considered essential, so they're open.
Old 02-04-2020, 23:39   #132

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
After things calm down, my guess is certain bans will be lifted but others will remain. So the question is, can you separate boating from socializing?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-232145.html

For me it's easy. I sail. But can you used the head at home or on the boat, bring groceries from home, and skip the chatter? I'm curious. Would that be easy or hard?

Times are a changing.
I sail too and I sail singlehanded. Yes, I can cut down the socializing, I can use the head on the boat (of course it does need pumping out sometimes...) and I can eat on the boat. But government policies can't be tailored to me, they are tailored to everyone.

By the way...off topic... but I noticed your signature and wanted to say I regularly read/enjoy sail delmarva and I've gotten a lot of benefit from your gear tests there and in Practical Sailor. Thanks1
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Old 02-04-2020, 23:42   #133

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

The reason for banning recreational boating is because if you need assistance, the coastguard and other rescue services have to come out of isolation and risk themselves and the point of isolation in the first place by coming to help you. Same reason you shouldn’t be driving, hiking, hunting, mountaineering, and whatever else.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:20   #134

A lot of folks don’t want to admit that recreational boating requires some interaction with others. But it does.

You need fuel. You need boat parts. You need bait. Some of you need alcohol. You need food. You may need towing or emergency health services. You need transport to and from your boat. You need your buddy Clem to go with you. You need another pair of sunglasses. Sure, you could order supplies online, but then someone has to bring them to you. It may be that you really don’t need any of this, but most people do.

Whenever you’re moving around, you interact with others. Some to a greater extent, some to a smaller extent. There are plenty who will bend or ignore any rule or request made.

This is going to be a challenge, and will require some inconvenience of everyone for the greater good. Nobody wants to sacrifice their leisure activities. Just be glad so little is being asked of most people right now. More was demanded of other generations. You can stay home and watch TV. You can paint a landscape. You can paint your house. You can work on your garden. You can watch a sunset or gaze at the stars. You can phone a friend who is going through the same experience.

Any small contribution that you can make to slow the spread right now, even if it only affects one person - even if it only affects you, is helpful. If you get sick and have to seek medical care, it’s another important resource used.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:47   #135

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
The reason for banning recreational boating is because if you need assistance, the coastguard and other rescue services have to come out of isolation and risk themselves and the point of isolation in the first place by coming to help you. Same reason you shouldn’t be driving, hiking, hunting, mountaineering, and whatever else.

That may be, but why then in Maryland is it specifically okay to take a boat out to fish, or to hike, bike, paddelboard, and kayak?

Tags
boat, boating, Maryland