Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2021, 22:18   #166
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
You aren't educating me or anyone else. You just make assertions you won't back up. Not worth my time.
Then why keep posting.. its easy enough to block my posts..
Oh I forgot, your lazy and no ones told you how to do it..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 19-09-2021, 08:40   #167
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well hello back atcha. Please clarify the difference between 'controversial' and 'batsh!tinsane
Not always an easy distinction. I will post a few interesting videos below. You decide.
Quote:
Channel 4 News Exposes Swine Flu Scandal
Quote:
DEATHS JUMPED 250% WHEN INJECTIONS BEGAN: LINDIE NAUGHTON INTERVIEWS FUNERAL DIRECTOR JOHN O'LOONEY
https://www.bitchute.com/embed/iopPf0YM6m7C/
Old 19-09-2021, 09:51   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Then why keep posting.. its easy enough to block my posts..
Oh I forgot, your lazy and no ones told you how to do it..
Why would I block your posts? You're a comic genius.
Old 19-09-2021, 11:27   #169
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

But.. But.!!! I thought I "was not worth your time"..
Can't have it both ways... or are you one of those hecklers Comics have to deal with from time to time..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 19-09-2021, 13:11   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But.. But.!!! I thought I "was not worth your time"..
Can't have it both ways... or are you one of those hecklers Comics have to deal with from time to time..
Sorry to disappoint you but I actually like your style. I only jerk your chain 'cause it's fun.
Old 19-09-2021, 14:15   #171

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
When it comes to health, one might expect to have the freedom to behave as one chooses, within the necessary legal constraints. An individual can decide, for instance, whether or not to seek treatment for a bacterial sexually transmitted infection (STI).

But what happens, when the wants of the individual are not in line with what will benefit either the individual concerned, or the general population? When these interests compete, what should be done? For instance, a parent, believing (incorrectly) that the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine is linked to autism, may decline vaccination for her child, despite this putting both the child, and other individuals, at risk of infection.
Well thank goodness we all have you to decide what is best for us. I know I put myself and others at risk recently when I stopped smoking. The media has pointed out many times how nicotine blocks the receptors that normally get covid so I guess in your distopia I will be forced to start back on my 2 pack a day habit so I don't get and cause the virus to mutate as viruses do in only unvaccinated people.
Old 19-09-2021, 16:03   #172
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
I don't think we are in disagreement, wingssail. I appreciate your posts and have tremendous respect for your experience, but boats falling off waves and suffering damage is nothing new and neither is boats dragging ashore and being breached. I remember reading in an early version of Adlard Coles Heavy Weather Sailing a story of a fairly large wooden full keeler on route to Sardinia which was picked up by a rogue wave left over from a strong Meltemi and dropped on its side so forcefully that it broke open the cabin side, It was an interesting story because the skipper was actually a rather famous American designer and when the boat was being constructed, the builder had suggested to put some steel plates in that area to make her stronger.. advice which he later regretted not following
My take away from the Bavaria report, is that simply such large windows do not belong on an offshore yacht, period. Also, you get what you pay for. It used to be said that a proper yacht should be built to the hundred year storm. These days that is considered nonsense by folks like goboatingnow. I think he is wrong. Offshore boats, regardless of type, should be strong, purpose built for the repeated stresses of heavy weather and the occasional strong storm that is to be expected. Excessive flexing is a sign of insufficient strength in my view.

She does not have large windows by any modern yacht standard.

The report did not blame the windows. It blamed not fitting the storm boards that were carried on board.
Old 19-09-2021, 16:20   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
She does not have large windows by any modern yacht standard.

The report did not blame the windows. It blamed not fitting the storm boards that were carried on board.
WTF are you talking about?
Old 19-09-2021, 22:42   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Well thank goodness we all have you to decide what is best for us. I know I put myself and others at risk recently when I stopped smoking. The media has pointed out many times how nicotine blocks the receptors that normally get covid so I guess in your distopia I will be forced to start back on my 2 pack a day habit so I don't get and cause the virus to mutate as viruses do in only unvaccinated people.
Thanks for the insight into your personal value system. I'm happy that you've quit smoking recently. Hopefully you can come back in a few years confirming your success. In the meantime, please don't be surprised that we vaxers are unsurprised that a two pack a day smoker is an antivaxer.
Old 20-09-2021, 01:59   #175
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
WTF are you talking about?

It’s a micro thread thing
Old 20-09-2021, 06:09   #176

Quote:
Well, first - congratulations on quitting smoking. I know from friends how hard that is to do. But your body will thank you.

Yes there is evidence that suggests that smokers are underrepresented in those hospitalized with COVID. In some cases the percentage of hospitalized smokers was around half the percentage of smokers in the general population. Some theories have been advanced around how smoking suppresses the ACE2 receptor. My theory is that no-one wants to sit close to anyone who smokes 2 packs a day. But the vaccines still perform better and cause less harm than smoking.

Again, good luck with staying free of cigarettes. I note that you are currently boatless. A while back I worked out our TOTAL cost of owning and using a 20 ft trailerable for 14 years, including EVERYTHING: purchase, insurance, gas, club fees, upgrades, etc... and in Canada at least, it's LESS than the cost of 2 packs of cigarettes a day. So, with the money you're saving, treat yourself to a small pocket-cruiser.
Old 20-09-2021, 07:32   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
Thanks for the insight into your personal value system. I'm happy that you've quit smoking recently. Hopefully you can come back in a few years confirming your success. In the meantime, please don't be surprised that we vaxers are unsurprised that a two pack a day smoker is an antivaxer.
HaHa. I think you are trying to compare me to former president Obama, but he was a current smoker while in office not a quitter like me.

As someone who has and will continue to advocate that the older generations, those who can't say no to cheesecake, diabetic, etc. should consider getting the covid shot your calling me an antivaxxer gives me insight in to your extremist position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
But the vaccines still perform better and cause less harm than smoking.

Again, good luck with staying free of cigarettes. I note that you are currently boatless. A while back I worked out our TOTAL cost of owning and using a 20 ft trailerable for 14 years, including EVERYTHING: purchase, insurance, gas, club fees, upgrades, etc... and in Canada at least, it's LESS than the cost of 2 packs of cigarettes a day. So, with the money you're saving, treat yourself to a small pocket-cruiser.
Of course I know current smokers who have had the covid shot, and continue smoking because the added defense against covid. It is much like the people pushing that those with natural immunity should get the shots. The danger of course is when these gestapo types start thinking they know best ,and have the right to force others to their will.

As far being boatless. Current plan is to get a cruiser when I get back from Europe, and head south for the winter months. Thank you for the encouragement.
Old 24-09-2021, 06:47   #178

I detect a bit of culture shock in your "rant". Only reaction to the measures by locals has any credibility.
Old 24-09-2021, 07:20   #179
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

wow, what a discussion. And the situation is large, International and lacks data so it's impossible to know. I am not convinced by either side about the virus and or/vaccines but - I caught COVID in 2020, was intubated, narrowly escaped with my life; cardiac system and lungs are permanently damaged and I had to give up my career and my boat as well as almost everything. I have been vaccinated also. I was in perfect health before it all happened. As to whether this all means everyone needs to be locked up or vaccinated or neither - I still don't know!

This gets me thinking: the southern borders of the USA are inundated with migrants/refugees/smugglers by the greatest amount ever seen in history. People fleeing poverty, storms, quakes, violence, lack of opportunity - whatever. The people are from almost every locale within the Western Hemisphere.

None of these countries have abundance of hospitals, vaccines, ventilators, doctors, drugs, or even safe places to live socially distanced while their economies are shut down by lack of international trade or by local government. Given the power of COVID to kill - I was expecting these countries to have fatality rates of 50% of the population, or 40%, or even just 5% fatality.

Yet, they did not die off massively. Only a few died (as a %). And they are healthy enough to walk 4,000 miles through deserts, jungles, and seas to find USA!

These southern countries seem to have only suffered from the total economic shutdown which killed millions and millions of jobs, businesses, and equity investment. The people are all still there. I'm glad they all proved the virus wrong but am mystified by the government experts' responses.

Something seems out of kilter given the media reports.

I have no dogs in the fight.
Old 24-09-2021, 07:52   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
None of these [impoverished] countries have abundance of hospitals, vaccines, ventilators, doctors, drugs, or even safe places to live socially distanced while their economies are shut down by lack of international trade or by local government. Given the power of COVID to kill - I was expecting these countries to have fatality rates of 50% of the population, or 40%, or even just 5% fatality.

Yet, they did not die off massively. Only a few died (as a %). And they are healthy enough to walk 4,000 miles through deserts, jungles, and seas to find USA!

These southern countries seem to have only suffered from the total economic shutdown which killed millions and millions of jobs, businesses, and equity investment. The people are all still there. I'm glad they all proved the virus wrong but am mystified by the government experts' responses.

Something seems out of kilter given the media reports.

I have no dogs in the fight.
First - very glad that you've recovered, and also sad that it's left its mark. Let's hope for improvements.

As you say, data are still scarce. Do have any good sources for the COVID death rates in such countries?

Consider the following:
  • those countries generally experience greater death rates from more illnesses. This is seldom front page news here.
  • at the same time, the above means that they might have already faced some coronaviruses similar to SARS-CoV-2, so maybe there's some baseline immunity
  • they have younger populations
  • good data for such countries are harder to gather. So maybe the COVID deaths have been significant, but untallied.

Tags
Martinique