Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2021, 07:53   #181

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

Doing repairs in St Lucia last January, it was obvious that Martinique was not as strict as some other islands in regards to the covid pandemic. It was usual for a boat from Martinique to come in to Rodney Bay Marina and not want to quarantine or wear the mask. They argued or at least try to convince authorities to just stay one night, just have dinner at the restaurant.... All were denied and usually left within a few hours. Such is a country built on Liberty.

But it wasn't long before Martinique became a victim of its Laisses Faire attitude to the Covid crises. It is okay I suppose if a country chooses to not react to the pandemic in any thought out manner, as long as citizens did not object. But, like other island nations, the length of the pandemic started to hit the tourism industry which worked its way into the community as reduced worker incomes. It took longer for Martinique to react, and as they have a budget from France they were not that eager at first. But tourism did nearly stop and some citizens and local authorities became worried abut the state of the industry.

When one compares the the size of the marine industry and it's contribution to the economy, compare it to St. Lucia. St. Lucia sailmakers can be counted on one finger, chandlers on one finger, marinas, service and maintenance, less than one hand. Martinique is in the tens of shops in every category. If St. Lucia has 150 to 200 boats at anchor, Marin has over 1500. So one can see that if St. Lucia starts to worry about covid and its negative effect on tourism income, then one can understand why Martinique, with the larger industry is getting serious about stopping the trend of infections.

I re-read the original post and am not sure whether it was slight tongue in cheek or a real sleight against the actions of the government. Having the gendarme patrolling beaches, hiking paths, restaurants and wherever they have been instructed to patrol is a very reasonable policy. How should they act to bring down the infection rate? The way of Texas? Florida? As for their pay, yes, they are paid by the citizens but not directly. Tax money is used to protect the citizens in various manners and consent is never asked for. We hand that responsibility over to those we elect and have to make do with their decisions. If Martinique's citizens want that changed, there are elections, quite frequently one might add.

As for citizens throwing items at incoming volunteers, seems they are no different than other communities around the world where we have the "right to freedom" crowd give up societal responsibilities for selfish reasons. Yes, I have a right to drive drunk or on the wrong side of the road. Hell, they even have a right to throw those opinions at others, who didn't ask thank you, and make complete a..holes out of themselves. Communities have rules, adhere to them.

Cruisers have been frustrated by world events, surely. pay insurance and in most cases, marina or boatyard fees for such a stretch is frustrating and expensive. But how should a small nation act that has limited resources, but which resources they do have, comes in the most part by tourists. Cater to the tourists, risk the rise of infections. St. lucia is still learning that as it has a lower rate of vaccinations as most islands. install the protocols early, get through the pandemic early. That my sail in October to St. Martin for new canvas is delayed, I am disappointed, will I blame some one for restricting that move, no. Let's be supportive of these islands that have served us well over the years and given us wonderful adventures, memories and friends. Wear the mask, get the shot.
Old 24-09-2021, 08:14   #182

Boat: Summer Twins 25

You can see the actual death figures here

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ed-kingdom-uk/

So while a agree with you to a point, there is a reason all of this has been going on, you can see that in the number of deaths in 2020 compared to the years of the last few decades! Something is killing a lot more people.

While it could of been worse their is also the possibility of it getting worse by mutations, but personally I am ready to get on with life now I am double Vaccine.
But agree some of the rules are strange and the beach can’t be the worst place to be, been sailing 2 or 3 times this year and maybe once last year.
Old 24-09-2021, 08:21   #183

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
The sun is a good disinfectant!
Inject some bleach!
Old 24-09-2021, 08:23   #184

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Unfortunately, when power over others is given to people, (or they take it), it can be like a drug, they get addicted to the high and want more and more and more. You see this in petty positions where they are given a small amount of authority like TSA officers, to Gendarmes and especially in politicians. They use any excuse and any crisis large or small to grab more power, and it is amazing how they can convince some people it is good for them! Look at Australia, the perfect example. As long as apathy remains, dictators and power hungry politicians will remain in power.

You can vote yourself into Tyranny, but no one has ever been able to vote themselves out of it.

M
Wow, will these right wing / libertarian / anarchist political rants ever stop? People always forget rule #1 of human behavior:
If the alternative hypotheses for a behavior are incompetence or evil intent, it is almost always the former.
What this is primarily about is governments trying their hardest to do what's best with limited resources in a novel and ever changing environment. And yeah, they sure do get it wrong some times.
What this is not primarily about is your personal freedom to do whatever you want. Sorry, it just ain't. Because people's desire to do whatever the heck they want doesn't much harm them, it harms others. What they seem to want would be to modify the New Hampshire license plate jingoism to "Live free and have other people die"
Sorry folks, but that is not how civilization works.
Old 24-09-2021, 09:09   #185

I was rowing the Rideau system in July and met up with a couple from Texas in Chaffee’s Locks. We were settling down for an evening around the fire when the Texans revealed they hadn’t been vaccinated. Things got vague when we wanted to know how they managed to cross the border in on their own bottom, unvaxxed. They got on their high horse about personal freedom, etc. but it’s possible they had exited the Erie at Oswego and crossed Lake Ontario to the Kingston end of the Rideau without clearing customs. It’s not that much of a risk until they hit Quebec, which instituted vaccine passports for all non-essential public access. I hope they get busted.
I get Martinique and any other principality trying to bar coronavirus deniers and vaccine refusers. Canada is going through our own Valley of COVID despair with the hard 20% . We don’t need more of your ilk.
Old 24-09-2021, 09:16   #186

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Its not your country. They have their own rules. As always, they dont center their rules on you and what you want. You can either follow the rules or you can simply stay away.

I have rarely seen such a self centered rant on this site. Congrats to you if this "Mickey Mouse" pandemic didnt affect your own life. It killed three relatives of mine, none of them old or with pre existing conditions. You ought to think a minute before before posting.

Poor fellow. Lives on a yacht in the Caribbean and they arent following HIS rules. Quick, send the Marines!!!
Old 24-09-2021, 09:16   #187

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltalk View Post
I was rowing the Rideau system in July and met up with a couple from Texas in Chaffee’s Locks. We were settling down for an evening around the fire when the Texans revealed they hadn’t been vaccinated. Things got vague when we wanted to know how they managed to cross the border in on their own bottom, unvaxxed. They got on their high horse about personal freedom, etc. but it’s possible they had exited the Erie at Oswego and crossed Lake Ontario to the Kingston end of the Rideau without clearing customs. It’s not that much of a risk until they hit Quebec, which instituted vaccine passports for all non-essential public access. I hope they get busted.

I get Martinique and any other principality trying to bar coronavirus deniers and vaccine refusers. Canada is going through our own Valley of COVID despair with the hard 20% . We don’t need more of your ilk.
I would have looked for their CBSA clearing-in paper required to be visibly posted. No paper warrants a call to CBSA/RCMP.
Old 24-09-2021, 10:03   #188
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
You can see the actual death figures here

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ed-kingdom-uk/

So while a agree with you to a point, there is a reason all of this has been going on, you can see that in the number of deaths in 2020 compared to the years of the last few decades! Something is killing a lot more people.

While it could of been worse their is also the possibility of it getting worse by mutations, but personally I am ready to get on with life now I am double Vaccine.
But agree some of the rules are strange and the beach can’t be the worst place to be, been sailing 2 or 3 times this year and maybe once last year.
thanks for this stat page, I am just kind of emerging into living again since March 2020.
the "number of deaths in the UK" is up on this graph - but so is the population since 1880. "number of deaths" is probably not useful information, actually it is misinformation.

I know 3 others who died from Covid. I was in a coma and intubated. it's real. but what I don't know is what is the effect on the people of the world. Obviously it's something different than as presented since there is an entire hemisphere Southern Hemisphere on all continents trying to get north for jobs.

it seems almost like Covid is the neutron bomb of world economy - the people and buildings are all here but the jobs are dead. jobs, business, and equity seems to have been the most susceptible to this virus.

I am not promoting a viewpoint or system of government or any secret plan. I'm simply mystified by the actual occurrence of millions of people walking thousands of miles northward from places that had almost zero healthcare.
Old 24-09-2021, 10:24   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianham View Post
Question everything - especially that coming from MSM and government and everything included in this post.

Thank you for your candour, at least. Just about everything you just posted is false or misleading.
Old 24-09-2021, 11:09   #190

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
The coronavirus arguments are going to be with us for a long time (unless the conspiracy theorists are right and the vaccinated will be killed off as part of WEF plan for depopulation and One World Government).

First of all, case numbers - especially when the numbers are derived from a PCR test with a 90+% false positive rate - mean nothing.

Secondly, India has found that a $2.50 pack of out of patent drugs has solved their coronavirus pandemic but there is no profit for Big Pharma in out of patent drugs solving this problem.

Thirdly, someone dying from a head injury or serious medical condition within 28 days of testing positive for covid (with 95% false positive rate) is dying from a head injury or their underlying medical condition, not covid, yet death certificates are including or indicating covid as the cause of death, why?

Finally, data from Israel (90+% vax rate) shows 80+% of hospitalisations for covid are double vaxxed.

The ONLY statistic that matters is excess deaths from ALL causes as a percentage of population.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...rld/death-rate

Fauci almost certainly funded gain of function research to make a virus more deadly, but it is still a 99.97% survival rate for under 60s. That just doesn't sound like a deadly pandemic that is wiping out millions to me. When undertakers tell you business was normal - there is no deadly pandemic. There has been an increase in deaths - people are missing early detection of cancer which is still one of the biggest killers.

Eugenicists and Big Pharma is not your friends. Question everything - especially that coming from MSM and government and everything included in this post.
You haven’t a clue what your talking about!

The data I shared was only showing Excess deaths if you look at the last 5 to 10 years deaths are 80,000 - 90,000 higher than normal
Stop spreading Fake News PCRs are quite reliable - not all PCRs are created equal

Sure there is going to be the deaths from accidents who happen to have Covid in fact that number is only going to increase but any intelligent person would know you have to have a measuring stick with set rules.
The number of deaths will settle maybe 100 per day or week and these will be those that would of not made it and happen to have Covid and 2 Vaccines, that we have to live with like any other sickness

Hell it’s **** and the travel rules are killing me but you can’t change the facts and yep some of the rules are stupid because we would prefer to be doing our own thing!

Have you realised you’re a conspiracy theorist?
Old 24-09-2021, 11:23   #191

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Watching news from Martinique today.

Enjoying the beach forbidden. Walking the bush tracks forbidden. Trekking forbidden. Snorkeling forbidden. Sailing forbidden. Power boating forbidden.

Gendarme on the beach requests swimmers to stop swimming. The same gendarme talks to the reporter while not wearing any mask. There are 6 of them on the stretch between Ste Anne and Club med. I wonder how much a gendarme earns. They say quite a lot.

On the same day a group of medical volunteers arrives by plane, to support ailing Martinique´s hospital services. They are welcomed at the airport with some citizens throwing hard objects and even harder words. No gendarmes in sight though. Too busy making easy money on the beach, I guess ...

The gendarmes get paid from the taxes of the people who are deprived of the right to use the beach, the country side, the boat. They are also paid from the taxes paid by the volunteers who arrived at the airport.

And no no no - do not ask me to link sources. Last time I quoted sources I heard stuff about the forum being an English forum and sources in other languages not being welcome here.

So just browse the net then use Google translate (if you are one of those world cruisers who speak the only one important language) or simply read - if you are a normal person who travels the world and so speaks more or less fluently Spanish, French and English.

Mickey Mouse pandemics and no revolution in sight ...

End of rant.

All depends who your audience is.

For me and you, it is mickey mouse, this plandemic.

Where we see a heap of sand, others see a mountain.
Old 24-09-2021, 11:42   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit Coetzee View Post
All depends who your audience is.

For me and you, it is mickey mouse, this plandemic.

Where we see a heap of sand, others see a mountain.

A heap of sand is apparently sufficient for you, then.

("plandemic" - LOL)
Old 24-09-2021, 11:46   #193

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Thank you for your candour, at least. Just about everything you just posted is false or misleading.

Rather than saying "Everything" - can you point out which points are false or misleading and in what way and link to evidence that suggests otherwise. Thanks. Always looking to be corrected.
Old 24-09-2021, 11:48   #194

Quote:
Rather than saying "Everything" - can you point out which points are false or misleading and in what way and link to evidence that suggests otherwise. Thanks. Always looking to be corrected.

Maybe give us the sources of all your claims. Teach a man to fish, etc.

(besides, I'm just heading out for a sail)
Old 24-09-2021, 12:05   #195

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

Quote:
You haven’t a clue what your talking about!

The data I shared was only showing Excess deaths if you look at the last 5 to 10 years deaths are 80,000 - 90,000 higher than normal
The title of the page you linked to is
Number of deaths in the United Kingdom from 1887 to 2020

not
Number of EXCESS deaths in the United Kingdom from 1887 to 2020

Quote:
Stop spreading Fake News PCRs are quite reliable - not all PCRs are created equal
That is a so funny. The Portuguese government declared all previous PCR test results as unreliable. The inventor of the PCR test declared them unreliable above 20 cycles. Health authorities have been using 45 cycles based on original WHO advice. German doctors found a kiwi to be positive. Kids in the UK got 10 days off school by one classmate testing positive with a can of pepsi. Yep, sure PCR is reliable.

Quote:

Have you realised you’re a conspiracy theorist?
What is a conspiracy theorist and was that term invented by the CIA to discredit whistleblowers? Lee Harvey Oswald didn't act alone, conspiracy theory or probable truth? Julian Assange, incarcerated for publishing the truth about the MIC. Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, conspiracy theorists or whistleblowers?

I will answer my own question - conspiracy theorists are people who point out inconsistencies in the establishment propaganda. The victor gets to write history and everything we think we know about the world is fed to us by the establishment. Time to start questioning the narrative buddy ..... or not, up to you.

Tags
Martinique