Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2021, 15:23   #3421

Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

Just playing is safe by maintaining proper social distancing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Social distancing support animal.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	246967  
Old 17-10-2021, 15:33   #3422

So what new sporting activities did y'all take up when in lock down or just isolating oneself?

I be like:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1238859529393070081

Old 17-10-2021, 15:36   #3423

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That's in the US - SWL is talking about Australia - different country - different continent.

I'm just interested in finding out where this is happening in Australia. Simple question - should have a simple answer.

The name calling alone in the Australian thread does not show any tolerance for anyone with “subversive” views. Scanning the thread these are a few examples:

- Rat lickers
- Meatheads
- Stupids
- Religious zealots
- Selfish anti-vax whingers
- Trolls
- Anti vaxxers
- Paranoid nutters
- Crying babies

The offensive language filter kicked in for most of the terms used to describe a child who broke quarantine recently in Launceston. There were actually wishes expressed more than once that he would die.

Early in the thread Boatie summed up the sentiment nicely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny how its just the Pro Vaxers who do all the wishing of Disease, Death and Excommunication and the rest just want them to respect their choices...

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 17-10-2021, 15:50   #3424

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The name calling alone in the Australian thread does not show any tolerance for anyone with “subversive” views. Scanning the thread these are a few examples:

- Rat lickers
- Meatheads
- Stupids
- Religious zealots
- Trolls
- Anti vaxxers
- Paranoid nutters
- Crying babies

The offensive language filter kicked in for most of the terms used to describe a child who broke quarantine recently in Launceston. There were actually wishes expressed more than once that he would die.

Early in the thread Boatie summed up the sentiment nicely:
Emotive language what! A child? He was a teenager who went down to the local IGA to buy smokes... 'Child' my left foot.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...-iga/100512692

'- Rat lickers
- Meatheads
- Stupids
- Religious zealots
- Trolls
- Anti vaxxers
- Paranoid nutters
- Crying babies'

You must have been gone a long time to forget that those are Australian terms of endearment.
But that short list from a thread on a forum frequented by a few dozen Australians demonstrates that there is a general outpouring of hatred - yes you did use the **hatred** word - against the vaccine hesitant across Australia? Really? Truly?
Can I have some KFC hyperbole with that por favor.
Old 17-10-2021, 16:01   #3425
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

I'm not normally a vindictive sort of guy but you can put on the 'intolerant' side of the ledger when it comes to this Loonie escapee. To be clear, make that 110% intolerant.

You are being too kind to call him a 'child'. He is 15 and wanted to nip to the shops with his cousin to get cigarettes. At 15, he knows about Covid, he knows what society expects of him. He had other options to get his ciggies, he knowingly choose not to exercise them. His family facilitated his actions but he remains personally responsible for them.

His actions put 500,000 people at risk of social restrictions. At it was, his actions directly put dozens into 14 days of quaro.

Of course he isn't in the same league as the current Hobart 'social dysfunctional'. I am 1,000% intolerant of his actions. The Hobart fella is DIRECTLY responsible for the disruption of 250,000 citizens.

I fail to see how ANYONE can justify the actions of these two; if I am missing something in 'kindness compass' will something please help me swing it.

EDIT: To be perfectly clear, I don't hate these two and won't want them dead but I do expect them to be held to account for their actions; help them to understand the errors of their ways.

Some might recall in the other thread I suggested if the Hobart fella wouldn't talk to to the investigators about his movements while on the run, he had no need anymore of his tongue - that dear readers is hyperbole - Aussie style - get used to it .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 17-10-2021, 16:17   #3426

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I'm not normally a vindictive sort of guy but you can put on the 'intolerant' side of the ledger when it comes to this Loonie escapee. To be clear, make that 110% intolerant.

You are being too kind to call him a 'child'. He is 15 and wanted to nip to the shops with his cousin to get cigarettes. At 15, he knows about Covid, he knows what society expects of him. He had other options to his ciggies, he knowingly choose not to exercise them. His family facilitated his actions but he remains personally responsible for them.

His actions put 500,000 people at risk of social restrictions. Of course he isn't in the same league as the current Hobart 'social dysfunctional'. I am 1,000% intolerant of his actions.

I fail to see how ANYONE can justify the actions of these two; if I am missing something in 'kindness compass' will something please help me swing it.
I am by no means justifying his actions, but at 15 he is still considered a child and children do stupid things regularly. Apart from all the offensive terms used to describe him, I think wishing him dead was more than a little excessive.

Old 17-10-2021, 16:19   #3427

Quote:
I am by no means justifying his actions, but at 15 he is still considered a child and children do stupid things regularly. Apart from all the offensive terms used to describe him, I think wishing him dead is more than a little excessive.
Who wished him dead? Name names.. don't be shy!
Old 17-10-2021, 16:23   #3428

Quote:
I am by no means justifying his actions, but at 15 he is still considered a child and children do stupid things regularly. Apart from all the offensive terms used to describe him, I think wishing him dead is more than a little excessive.
Cross posted apparently while I added an EDIT to my post but I'm pretty sure I never wished him dead.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 17-10-2021, 16:28   #3429

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Who wished him dead? Name names.. don't be shy!
Quote:
Cross posted apparently while I added an EDIT to my post but I'm pretty sure I never wished him dead.
Go back and read the thread for yourselves. I am not going to point a finger.
The death wish was made twice.

Old 17-10-2021, 16:41   #3430

Ooooh Errrrrr.
Not only did someone suggest that smoking may catch up with him - the *teenager* - and it would serve him right but

but

but

They also called him a TURNIP!!!!! Shock horror.

Still haven't seen any outpouring of hate across the nation against the antivaxx people who are entitled to their well thought out opinions.

I must say they don't bother me as we - the vaccinated but possibly asymptomatic - pose a far greater risk to them and their families than they do to us.

I think it fair to say that over 90% of the Australian population just consider them to be dills. ( Now I'm for it - I used the 'dill' word )
Old 17-10-2021, 16:53   #3431

Quote:
Golly, I did re-read it (from the time of the Loonie guy appearance) and I didn't mange to find it - at least not from my posts - maybe someone else did?

I did all him a 'dickwit' and a 'socket head muppet'. And I stand by these terms as appropriate for the situation. In teaching, it is often helpful to speak in a language the student understands otherwise the lessons fly straight out the window. I reckon it apples here too.

The carrot doesn't work 100% of the time; I suspect this guy would understand a bit of the stick approach better - after all the goal is to get him back into a fully functional member of society.

EDIT - give him a sherbet at the same time; a bit of concurrent carrot doesn't hurt either.
Old 17-10-2021, 17:24   #3432

Quote:
Golly, I did re-read it (from the time of the Loonie guy appearance) and I didn't mange to find it - at least not from my posts - maybe someone else did?

I did all him a 'dickwit' and a 'socket head muppet'. And I stand by these terms as appropriate for the situation. In teaching, it is often helpful to speak in a language the student understands otherwise the lessons fly straight out the window. I reckon it apples here too.

The carrot doesn't work 100% of the time; I suspect this guy would understand a bit of the stick approach better - after all the goal is to get him back into a fully functional member of society.

EDIT - give him a sherbet at the same time; a bit of concurrent carrot doesn't hurt either.
Jim called the Hobart one an 'a-hole' - I thought that a bit rough - him being a Mod and all.
Old 17-10-2021, 19:19   #3433

Quote:

Hah! Tracked the culprit down - summit 'bout the smokes might get him and then backed up with the kiddie's tank.

I naively assumed this and Jim's comment were fine examples of Aussie colloquialism and part of our national identity of being independent, irreverent and free thinkers which at least on CF, is well and truly alive!

Quote:
Jim called the Hobart one an 'a-hole' - I thought that a bit rough - him being a Mod and all.
Surely we can excuse Jim for his lapse, after all he has doing his best to assimilate. In the spirit of assisting Jim in his endeavours to sound like (and be) a fair dinkum bloke, he shoulda said 'drongo' as in 'pull ya head ya drongo'. In extreme cases, it becomes 'bludi drongo'.
Old 17-10-2021, 19:26   #3434

Quote:
Hah! Tracked the culprit down - summit 'bout the smokes might get him and then backed up with the kiddie's tank.

I naively assumed this and Jim's comment were fine examples of Aussie colloquialism and part of our national identity of being independent, irreverent and free thinkers which at least on CF, is well and truly alive!

Surely we can excuse Jim for his lapse, after all he has doing his best to assimilate. In the spirit of assisting Jim in his endeavours to sound like (and be) a fair dinkum bloke, he shoulda said 'drongo' as in 'pull ya head ya drongo'. In extreme cases, it becomes 'bludi drongo'.
Re the culprit.
Maybe he should simply have called down the fabled curse of the leader of the push.

Wanting to set a whole armoured battalion on a 15 year old was - how you say - 'different'

Still waiting to see what 'the hatred of the entire Australian people towards the antivaxx ratbags' thing is all about.
Old 17-10-2021, 20:11   #3435

Quote:
Re the culprit.
Maybe he should simply have called down the fabled curse of the leader of the push.

I've heard you don't read a lot but clearly you are edikated - not sure though if you are referring to The Captain of the Push or the Bastard from the Bush or some Victorian campo version...

or (NSFW)

https://www.australianculture.org/th...from-the-bush/

Both seem appropriately irreverent.

Tags
rope, Europe