Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2021, 00:39   #3496

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

The situation up here now is that Latvia and Estonia are in the middle of really horrible outbreaks, and Latvia has closed down most businesses, imposed a curfew from 20:00 to 05:00, has closed universities. Damn.

DENMARK, of all places, the vaccination leader of this region, is now back over 200 daily cases per million.

Click image for larger version

Name:	coronavirus-data-explorer(56).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	247394

Only Finland and Sweden are still under 100 cases per million.

Note however the death rates:

Name:	coronavirus-data-explorer(57).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	247395

Despite the significant daily case rate, the death rate is basically nothing in Denmark, a little more than half the death rate in Sweden, although the daily case rate is almost 4x as high.

And Finland is almost double the death rate of Sweden.

Now these infection rates and death rates move around in random ways, so it doesn't do to make to much of them, but I do have the impression that relatively small differences in the vaccination rate make a big difference in the death rate, if not the daily infection rate.

Denmark completely ended all restrictions in September, including restrictions against large gatherings:

https://www.thelocal.dk/20210930/den...ort-of-target/

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	247397
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coronavirus-data-explorer(58).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	247396  
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 26-10-2021, 00:51   #3497

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Is Portugal the first country where Covid has gone from Pandemic to Epidemic?

https://phuketimes.com/endemic-covid...it-looks-like/
Pandemic to ENdemic, not EPIdemic. Meaning "living with the virus" rather than attempting to control it.

This is the general trend across Europe. The way was shown in the UK with "Freedom Day" -- ending most of the restrictions and ceasing the attempt to control the virus.

Portugal is more conservative than most, leaving a number of restrictions in place, including a requirement to have a vaccination pass (or fresh test) to go into restaurants. Norway, Denmark, and Sweden have ended basically ALL restrictions; Finland has only a few inconsequential ones still in place.

As a side note, it's interesting to see the evolution of attitudes about masking. The Nordic health authorities have been more skeptical about masking than those in other parts of the world, and we were slow to get mask mandates and quick to lose them. But it's interesting to see a fair number people in Helsinki, where I am now, now wearing masks even though it's not required. Previously they were required in shops and public transportation, and a fair number of people refused to wear them. Hmm.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 26-10-2021, 01:24   #3498

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Pandemic to ENdemic, not EPIdemic. Meaning "living with the virus" rather than attempting to control it.
Thank you ever so much, Dick , for picking me up on that typo and explaining to me the different meanings of the two words. I know I can always rely on you

I posted in haste - just in from a day crutching me wombats and I was on my way to knock up some 'garlic prawns con arroz' for dins.

Major take away for me from the article was that they had simply vaccinated everyone who wanted to be or was ever going to come forward to be vaccinated.
Only one way to go once you reach that mark.

Speaking of which only a few municipalities in Vic/NSW remain under 70% fully vaxxed but most are 80/90% or more first shot.
The citys of Syd and Melb seem to have hit a wall. Melb is 62% fully 74% first shot so they are probably never going to go much above 75% fully vaxxed for whatever reason.
Their problem not mine.
Old 26-10-2021, 01:27   #3499
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

I wonder if the statistic's are influenced by how much testing is being done in each country?

Here in the UK the testing has been high which maybe makes the numbers higher??

Whilst we have had 'freedom day', I have been to a boat show, music festival and an indoor concert and at all you had to show double jab or negative test.
Did go to the cinema which was no restrictions but this felt a step too far in an unventilated space with people sitting next to each other.

Life has got to go on but we do get a choice of how we live it, to a small extent.
Old 26-10-2021, 02:11   #3500

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
. . . Major take away for me from the article was that they had simply vaccinated everyone who wanted to be or was ever going to come forward to be vaccinated.
Only one way to go once you reach that mark.

Speaking of which only a few municipalities in Vic/NSW remain under 70% fully vaxxed but most are 80/90% or more first shot.
The citys of Syd and Melb seem to have hit a wall. Melb is 62% fully 74% first shot so they are probably never going to go much above 75% fully vaxxed for whatever reason.
Their problem not mine.

I think that's fundamentally right. Vaccinate everyone who is willing and declare it over. Job done. I think that's the way the world is going.

Your % vaxxed is % of eligible people, not total population, right? There is some confusion between differing uses. OWID uses % of total population.

Denmark has reached 76% of the total population fully vaxxed, second only to Portugal in Europe. Seaworthylass has corrected us about full herd immunity but surely this has got to be about the end of it. The Danes at least are betting that it is. We shall see.

As to Australia, the daily vaccination rate has fallen below 1 per 100, but still very high, multiples of other developed countries. You've passed 60% (of the total population, not eligible population) fully vaxxed, so you've passed the U.S. Don't know about Melbourne and Sydney but the country as a whole is looking very good. Not far to go now. Maybe this will all be just like a bad dream by Christmas.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-10-2021, 02:34   #3501

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
I think that's fundamentally right. Vaccinate everyone who is willing and declare it over. Job done. I think that's the way the world is going.

Your % vaxxed is % of eligible people, not total population, right? There is some confusion between differing uses. OWID uses % of total population.

Denmark has reached 76% of the total population fully vaxxed, second only to Portugal in Europe. Seaworthylass has corrected us about full herd immunity but surely this has got to be about the end of it. The Danes at least are betting that it is. We shall see.

As to Australia, the daily vaccination rate has fallen below 1 per 100, but still very high, multiples of other developed countries. You've passed 60% (of the total population, not eligible population) fully vaxxed, so you've passed the U.S. Don't know about Melbourne and Sydney but the country as a whole is looking very good. Not far to go now. Maybe this will all be just like a bad dream by Christmas.
Yes - eligible population, that is from here
https://www.theage.com.au/national/c...28-p56xht.html
A pretty good site.
Eligible population of the City of Melbourne is about 168,000.
Be aware that the 'City of Melbourne' - ditto the 'City of Sydney' - is a very small part of even what I would call the 'Melbourne of my youth' - Dogtown to Warragul Road - and a vanishingly small part of what is now called Metropolitan Melbourne which has a population in the millions.
The City of Melbourne is essentially just what one would call the 'inner city'.
I have no idea why the uptake is so low there and in the City of Sydney - probably multiple reasons
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MelbVax.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	247399  
Old 26-10-2021, 04:54   #3502
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

Quote:

This is the general trend across Europe. The way was shown in the UK with "Freedom Day" -- ending most of the restrictions and ceasing the attempt to control the virus.

Portugal is more conservative than most, leaving a number of restrictions in place, including a requirement to have a vaccination pass (or fresh test) to go into restaurants. Norway, Denmark, and Sweden have ended basically ALL restrictions; Finland has only a few inconsequential ones still in place.

As a side note, it's interesting to see the evolution of attitudes about masking. The Nordic health authorities have been more skeptical about masking than those in other parts of the world, and we were slow to get mask mandates and quick to lose them. But it's interesting to see a fair number people in Helsinki, where I am now, now wearing masks even though it's not required. Previously they were required in shops and public transportation, and a fair number of people refused to wear them. Hmm.
No.. you don't need a Covid Pass to enter restaurants in Portugal, just wear a mask going in.. its pretty laid back after that.
Many places still require masks to enter like shops, movies etc but I have yet to be asked for my Pass.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 26-10-2021, 07:01   #3503

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
I wonder if the statistic's are influenced by how much testing is being done in each country?

Here in the UK the testing has been high which maybe makes the numbers higher?? …..
It think it must do, although it is not necessarily proportional.
The testing rate in the UK is roughly:
2 x that of France
3 x Italy and Spain
4 x Netherland
5 x Germany
And a staggering 23 x that in Japan.

How can rates possibly be reasonably compared?

Same goes for deaths. The UK records a COVID-19 death as anyone who tested positive within 28 days of death, not because COVID even contributed significantly to their death.

Quote:

I would qualify “over” though as states of emergency and government mandated restrictions ceasing.
This means people go back to taking whatever care they deem reasonable to protect themselves and those close to them (hygiene, diet, exercise, distancing if they are at high risk of illness, vaccination if appropriate, etc), as they did in pre pandemic days.

Quote:
In Australia it is even more confusing than that.
The 16+ group is termed the “eligible” population, although everyone 12+ is eligible .
I think this stems from the fact that target rates for easing of restrictions or opening up were set for 16+ olds when none of the vaccines were approved for children. So this was once the eligible population and term has stuck.

SWL

This is how testing rates compare in the most affected countries:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ies-worldwide/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	847849E5-A416-4EA2-B536-F927A6776735.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	247401  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 27-10-2021, 01:46   #3504

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
. .
I would qualify “over” though as states of emergency and government mandated restrictions ceasing.
This means people go back to taking whatever care they deem reasonable to protect themselves and those close to them (hygiene, diet, exercise, . .]
Indeed.

There's an old Soviet saying which translates roughly as "there is nothing more permanent than temporary measures. "

It should be our goal to get these extraordinary measures off as soon as there is no overwhelming necessity for them (if there ever was that). Not when the virus is completely eradicated (which will be never) or when there is not a single person is in hospital. We should not start thinking that this is normal.
Walt Whitman
Old 27-10-2021, 02:23   #3505

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As of Monday, Denmark has dropped all restrictions for any entries from any EU or Schengen countries. It doesn't matter whether you are vaccinated or not, there is no testing, no self-isolation, nothing. Completely back to normal. This is not just for residents of the EU -- anyone from wherever, ARRIVING from an EU or Schengen country. They've dropped all controls and put the internal border completely back to normal. https://en.coronasmitte.dk/travel-ru...n-requirements

And as of Monday there are hardly any restrictions for arriving in Denmark from outside the EU, either. If you are fully vaccinated (with an EU approved vaccine, so sorry Russians), there are no restrictions at all. If you are not vaccinated, then you are merely required to test within 24 hours of entry. Antigen test is ok. You might need to self-isolate if you are unvaccinated and have been in a high risk country or a country with "variants of concern". I presume this self-isolation is honor system like all the self-isolation rules were in Denmark during the pandemic.

So, another welcome step back towards normalcy.

I'm flying to Denmark this evening and really looking forward to being in a place which is COMPLETELY back to normal, even if I can't complain about Finland which is 98% back to normal.

What concerns Finland -- I arrived here a couple of days ago, and they are still doing spot checks of vaccination cards, and testing you upon arrival if you declare yourself to be unvaccinated. Friendly, quick, and painless for arriving from the EU.
Walt Whitman
Old 27-10-2021, 03:05   #3506
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Let's hope Denmark is the first Crack in the Wall.
Old 27-10-2021, 04:41   #3507

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Let's hope Denmark is the first Crack in the Wall.

I think Norway and Sweden have also officially ended the state of emergency. I'm not sure why Finland is still hesitating, even if there is practically no difference in the actual measures.

I see that as of 8 October, Finland also declares that traffic from other EU and Schengen countries is completely unrestricted. That does not seem to jive with what I observed entering Finland a few days ago, where they were still checking vax certs and testing unvaxxed people.

See: https://raja.fi/en/guidelines-for-bo...uring-pandemic

Entry into Finland is completely unrestricted from outside the EU for vaccinated people. No testing, nothing. Ibid. Unvaxxed people need a significant reason from the list, to enter from outside the EU, if they are not EU residents.
Walt Whitman
Old 27-10-2021, 04:56   #3508

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sweden is more strict:

https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-po...d-from-sweden/

You need test or vaccination to enter Sweden even from another EU country, except only other Nordic countries, from which entry is completely unrestricted.

I can't quite figure out whether unvaccinated people are allowed into Sweden from outside the EU, nor whether U.S. vaccine certificates are even accepted; their bureaucratic writing is bewildering. In any case, the Swedish rules are much more complicated than the Danish or Finnish ones.
Walt Whitman
Old 27-10-2021, 06:41   #3509

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Sweden is more strict:

https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-po...d-from-sweden/

You need test or vaccination to enter Sweden even from another EU country, except only other Nordic countries, from which entry is completely unrestricted.

I can't quite figure out whether unvaccinated people are allowed into Sweden from outside the EU, nor whether U.S. vaccine certificates are even accepted; their bureaucratic writing is bewildering. In any case, the Swedish rules are much more complicated than the Danish or Finnish ones.
Not quite sure but I think Norway has the same policy for non Schengen recidents..
Old 27-10-2021, 07:02   #3510

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Not quite sure but I think Norway has the same policy for non Schengen recidents..
I'm not sure since the Swedish rules are so incomprehensibly complex.

Norway is straightorward -- if you're vaxxed, welcome!

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topics...way/id2791503/

If you're not vaxxed, it seems you are allowed but must test and self-isolate.

I remember very fondly how the Norwegian authorities treated me during the summer when I arrived inadvertantly contrary to their rules, which at that time required a test before boarding. I thought I would be in transit so didn't need it, but the airport I used turned out not to have a transit area!! The authorities graciously allowed me to enter briefly, and were very nice about it.

Actually during the entire pandemic I've never seen anyone treated rudely, or fined, or anything, in any Nordic country, in connection with any of the restrictions. Seems to be some perspective here which is lacking elsewhere.

Contrasts to stories from other (non-Nordic) countries about people turned away, arrested, etc., not to mention the millions in fines imposed in Spain for people breaking stay at home orders, and the horrible story about two guys jailed until after Christmas in Australia, earning them career-threatening criminal records, for the offense of merely travelling internally against the pandemic rules, without even any allegation of having infected anyone!
Walt Whitman

Tags
rope, Europe