Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2021, 10:35   #4321
cruiser

Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/08/pfiz...-ceo-says.html

Details and expectations on the Pfizer pill. There is a very high degree of confidence and sense of urgency for quick approval by the FDA, based on former submissions and the Omicron situation. To the point that the drug has already been manufactured, packaged and shipped, at least in the US.

It seems entirely possible, and perhaps even more likely that Omicron itself may end the pandemic. There is a certain sense to the notion that the faster Omicron might take over, the less time and opportunity for more serious mutations. At the same time if it spreads terribly fast, the transition period will be very painful for the already challenged health systems.

Will some countries want to slow it down? Or not? Only time will tell. Omicron may not give us the choice. The next 2 or 3 volatile weeks will be critical to understanding.
Old 14-12-2021, 10:48   #4322

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

[QUOTE=Zippee;3537436]https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/08/pfiz...-ceo-says.html

Details and expectations on the Pfizer pill. There is a very high degree of confidence and sense of urgency for quick approval by the FDA, based on former submissions and the Omicron situation. To the point that the drug has already been manufactured, packaged and shipped, at least in the US.

QUOTE]

A protease inhibitor that works just like that much maligned horse dewormer otherwise known as Ivermectin, but at 100x the cost.

The cognitive dissonance continues.
Old 14-12-2021, 11:34   #4323

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
. . .. A protease inhibitor that works just like that much maligned horse dewormer otherwise known as Ivermectin, but at 100x the cost.

The cognitive dissonance continues.

Sorry, but not all protease inhibitors are the same just as not all vitamins are the same and not all proteins are the same etc. etc. etc.. What do you mean "works just the same"? It doesn't.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 14-12-2021, 11:34   #4324

Boat: Westerly Sealord

In the shortish term it will be interesting to see what happens at airports when Omicron becomes more widespread assuming that given the apparent mildness of the cases this may mean many asymptomatic people out and about.

Many countries, including Australia, Ecuador and the USA , ( best list I can find is here https://mydoctorsf.com/covid-19-test...ts-by-country/ ) now require a negative PCR test result before you get on the 'plane . The time seems to vary between the day before departure to three days before arrival. For many people this will mean getting tested at the departure airport a few hours before departure.

I see lots of travel plans changing at very short notice.
Old 14-12-2021, 12:09   #4325

Back in SA. Its now a solid month since reported Omicron infections took off yet the 'daily deaths' have shown no change of any consequence at all over that time.
https://www.worldometers.info/corona.../south-africa/
I know what that is telling me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SADayrate.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	249834   Click image for larger version

Name:	SADeaths.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	249835  

Old 14-12-2021, 12:12   #4326

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Back in SA. Its now a solid month since reported Omicron infections took off yet the 'daily deaths' have shown no change of any consequence at all over that time.
https://www.worldometers.info/corona.../south-africa/
I know what that is telling me.

We want for it to tell us that Omicron doesn't kill, but it could be other things -- it doesn't kill much in populations with a lot of natural immunity, it doesn't kill much in very young populations.

Still, I hope you're right.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 14-12-2021, 12:29   #4327

This may be worth a look,
https://covid-19dashboard.news24.com
It has a graph of hospital admissions/ICU/Ventilators the most recent of which can be seen below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAHosp.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	249836  
Old 14-12-2021, 13:14   #4328

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Sorry, but not all protease inhibitors are the same just as not all vitamins are the same and not all proteins are the same etc. etc. etc.. What do you mean "works just the same"? It doesn't.
You are right, IVM is more effective, as it is not only a protease inhibitor (that blocks the virus from multiplying), but also blocks the receptor binding domain in the human cell, that makes infection harder for all viruses and variants that try to bind there.
Old 14-12-2021, 13:24   #4329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We want for it to tell us that Omicron doesn't kill, but it could be other things -- it doesn't kill much in populations with a lot of natural immunity, it doesn't kill much in very young populations.

Still, I hope you're right.
It is deadly dangerous for the vaccine abos so, as when all - regardless of vaccination status - get infected and a immune response - they will become more robustly protected to all following corona viruses, so no new seasonal variant booster will be necessary and following waves will be mild.

While the vaccines target a specific spike and need adjustments to remain somewhat effective for a short time, omikron's induced natural immunity targets many parts of the virus and is memorized long term in the t-cells - bad for the business.

The only chance to secure some future customers is to protect them from getting omicron and hoping the booster works for a while until omicron extincts himself after the wave.

We will see who is faster at the end.

A headache for a day or two and a running nose is acceptable for most unvaccinated as side effect of a mass natural immunization I think.
Old 14-12-2021, 13:31   #4330

[QUOTE=Dockhead;3537475]Sorry, but not all protease inhibitors are the same just as not all vitamins are the same and not all proteins are the same etc. etc. etc.. What do you mean "works just the same"? It doesn't.[/QUOTE

I think our good old doctor John Campbell can explain it to you and others here. And Catnewbee is correct in his comment: Ivermectin is a protease inhibitor with a number of other mechanisms which inhibit viral replication.

Old 14-12-2021, 14:11   #4331

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You might have noticed, that Miss Zimmer’s 'YALE Daily News’ article stated:
“... In a statement [to which she, and I both provided links] released on Medium on Aug. 4, members of the Yale scientific and medical community voiced concern over Risch’s ardent advocacy of hydroxychloroquine. It is signed by more than 20 Yale faculty members ...”

She also provides links to primary sources, citing her other factual statements.

Here it is, again:
“Statement from Yale Faculty on Hydroxychloroquine and its Use in COVID-19"
https://medium.com/@gregggonsalves/s...9-47d0dee7b2b0
Yes, I have noticed and read all of the above, and I am equally unimpressed with all of that as I am with your post.

The statement authored by Greg Gonsalves, an assistant Professor of Epidemiology, provides links to two sketchy papers, one of which was funded by Pharma ( in Brazil) and another that used remote methodology and self reporting without any clinical observation to support his argument that HCQ is ineffective while, at the same time, ignoring the 50 some studies and thousands of observational reports from practicing doctors worldwide which attest to the contrary. That and the fact that he managed to convince 20 other faculty members, including those in unrelated fields such as law and economics is hardly convincing that his perspective and that of the signatories is correct. If anything, this abhorrent effort to smear Risch and undermine him professionally only adds to my admiration of this man who has showed nothing but courage to stand and speak what he considers to be the truth at great risk to his academic career and professional reputation. The world needs more people like Risch and perhaps much fewer of those who depend on smear campaigns.

Take the time and view the video of Risch's interview and tell where you disagree with him. Then we can have a discussion.
Old 14-12-2021, 14:47   #4332

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

I do not understand this controversy about the use of Ivermectin.

If I was in practice ( I am not longer) will not prescribe it to my patients but will not interfere in their choices to make an appointment with a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
They have a fully accredited rigorous four-year professional program preceded by three to four years of pre-professional studies.

What am I missing?
Old 14-12-2021, 21:10   #4333

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
I do not understand this controversy about the use of Ivermectin.

If I was in practice ( I am not longer) will not prescribe it to my patients but will not interfere in their choices to make an appointment with a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)

They have a fully accredited rigorous four-year professional program preceded by three to four years of pre-professional studies.

What am I missing?
Ivermectin is a safe drug for humans for various diseases, parasites and was off-label prescribed for various antiviral treatments too in the past. It happens that it is efficient to treat even animals, and not only the ones we prefer to eat, but also sometimes to ride.

This drug, Hydroxychloroquine and some others found effective for early treatment are used for Malaria prophylaxis and treatment among other viral induced diseases. This is not injecting bleach. This drugs are safe and available over the counter in many countries without prescription. Hydroxy chloroquine is part of the emergency medical kit recommended for water sailing">blue water sailing (Medicin at sea publication, list of medicaments for the onboard pharmacy).

Btw, there are a lot of antibiotica and other human drugs used in life stock. Sometimes eating meat is actually a medical treatment by all the drugs this animals are given in industrial production.

So the question is who has an agenda to ridicule efficient and safe drugs as bleach and horse dewormer and to spread misinformation preventing early treatment by physicians using this drugs.
Old 15-12-2021, 00:58   #4334

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 &

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
. . . So the question is who has an agenda to ridicule efficient and safe drugs as bleach and horse dewormer and to spread misinformation preventing early treatment by physicians using this drugs.
A significant number of people have ended up in hospital or dead because they self-administered horse dewormer based on the belief that there is a vast conspiracy to suppress the use of Invermectin to treat COVID. I agree ridicule shouldn't be used, but think it's beneficial to call attention to the fact that people shouldn't self-medicate with drugs intended for different purposes and for God's sake not for different species. There is a reason why doctors and institutes of health exist, and why drugs are tested and certified for treating particular diseases before being given to patients for that purpose. Invermectin is not certified anywhere for treating COVID.

There are ongoing trials of a lot of different repurposed drugs, including Invermectin, to see if there is any benefit to using them to treat COVID. We shall see.
Walt Whitman
Old 15-12-2021, 01:20   #4335
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Yes, I have noticed and read all of the above, and I am equally unimpressed with all of that as I am with your post.,.
You are allowed to be unimpressed with with, both, me, and the medical community. Your disagreement is noted, with all due respect.

Tags
rope, Europe