Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2021, 12:14   #4411

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
snip..
All of your comments apply equally to the use of the words "boat" and "ship". Some people call big cruise ships "boats" (hell, the "Love Boat", right?). You can find plenty of cites for "boat" used for anything manmade which floats. I prefer to use the word "boat" in a more precise manner, distinguished from other vessels like ships. Likewise with "lockdown". Your choice how you use the word, and I didn't criticize anyone, except to beg people to at least be consistent.
Serious thread drift.
On the use of the word 'boat' .
Back when the UK still had a Merchant Navy I worked for the company with the fourth largest fleet under the British flag, about 100 ships. Throughout the company - and the entire Merchant Navy - they were known to operate mail boats ( some of the largest passenger liners under the British flag - indeed some of the largest in the world), fruit boats, black boats and Clan boats amongst others. The special trains that ran from Waterloo to Southampton to connect with the mailboats - and other liners - arrivals and departures were known throughout Britain as 'boat trains'.
Meanwhile seafarers in Australia refered to all UK flagged cargo liners running to Australia as 'home boats'.
So the use of the word 'boat' for big ships was not just a Hollywood thing.

End of drift.
Old 20-12-2021, 16:00   #4412

Sperm count, motility may be low for months after COVID-19

Sperm quality is impaired for months for some people after recovery from COVID-19, researchers have found.

The semen itself was not infectious, the researchers found.

But among 35 men who provided samples within a month after recovery from symptomatic infection, reductions in sperm motility were evident in 60% and sperm counts were reduced in 37%. As reported on Monday in Fertility and Sterility, semen samples were obtained from 120 Belgian men with an average age of 35 years, at an average of 52 days after their COVID-19 symptoms had resolved. Among 51 men tested between one and two months after recovery, 37% had reduced sperm motility and 29% had low sperm counts. Among 34 men who provided semen samples at least two months after recovery, sperm motility was impaired in 28% and sperm counts were low in 6%. The severity of COVID-19 infection was not correlated with sperm characteristics.

"Couples with a desire for pregnancy should be warned that sperm quality after COVID-19 infection can be suboptimal," the researchers concluded. "The estimated recovery time is 3 months, but further follow-up studies are under way to confirm this and to determine if permanent damage occurred in a minority of men."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/omicron-i...195632713.html
Old 20-12-2021, 16:16   #4413

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lockdown2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	250065   Click image for larger version

Name:	lockdown.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	250066  

Old 20-12-2021, 17:09   #4414

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Sperm quality is impaired for months for some people after recovery from COVID-19, researchers have found.

But among 35 men who provided samples within a month after recovery from symptomatic infection, reductions in sperm motility were evident in 60% and sperm counts were reduced in 37%. As reported on Monday in Fertility and Sterility, semen samples were obtained from 120 Belgian men with an average age of 35 years, at an average of 52 days after their COVID-19 symptoms had resolved. Among 51 men tested between one and two months after recovery, 37% had reduced sperm motility and 29% had low sperm counts. Among 34 men who provided semen samples at least two months after recovery, sperm motility was impaired in 28% and sperm counts were low in 6%. The severity of COVID-19 infection was not correlated with sperm characteristics.

"Couples with a desire for pregnancy should be warned that sperm quality after COVID-19 infection can be suboptimal," the researchers concluded. "The estimated recovery time is 3 months, but further follow-up studies are under way to confirm this and to determine if permanent damage occurred in a minority of men."

Well, that does it. I'm going for a 2nd booster, along with a 3rd if I can get it. I've already ordered up a face mask that covers my entire body and will no longer allow anyone to approach me at less than 100 yards. I'm afraid that even the most restrictive "lockdown" -- under any defn -- will not suffice, and I'm going to lobby my elected representative for new laws prescribing mandatory lifetime quarantine for the unvaccinated.
Old 20-12-2021, 17:14   #4415

Quote:
[Alarmism & Fear]
Not according to the latest science, i.e. stats out of S. Africa & the UK. So far, that is. Hospitalizations & deaths remarkably low given the number of confirmed Omicron cases. And yes, US cases starting to (predictably) surge, and concerns about the vulnerable & possibly unvaccinated overwhelming hospitals remain real.

Old 20-12-2021, 17:19   #4416

Quote:

Cloud/silver lining
Anything that stops humans breeding has to be good.
Old 20-12-2021, 17:25   #4417

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Cloud/silver lining
Anything that stops humans breeding has to be good.
Won't stop; only slow it down for a few months. According to the study that is. But nice having another optimist in the group!
Old 20-12-2021, 17:30   #4418
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

According to Sadiq Khan, London's Mayor, the majority of the unvaccinated in London are in the Black, Muslim and East European communities.. that's at least one third of the population.
Maybe news that Covid kills sperm will motivate them.. or.. they'll put it down to white folk propaganda and just harden their attitude.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 20-12-2021, 18:19   #4419

Continuing with the optimistic view.

The daily cases , along with the 3 day and 7 day averages for infection in South Africa have both been falling for a few days, since the 12th for the daily cases

This, coupled with the fact that the moving average for daily deaths dropped below 40 a day in late october and is showing no sign of increasing, gives me hope.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona.../south-africa/
Old 20-12-2021, 18:23   #4420

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
According to Sadiq Khan, London's Mayor, the majority of the unvaccinated in London are in the Black, Muslim and East European communities..
I always thought he was a racist. I never thought he would diss his people though.
Old 20-12-2021, 20:02   #4421

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Continuing with the optimistic view.

The daily cases , along with the 3 day and 7 day averages for infection in South Africa have both been falling for a few days, since the 12th for the daily cases

This, coupled with the fact that the moving average for daily deaths dropped below 40 a day in late october and is showing no sign of increasing, gives me hope.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona.../south-africa/
Could be the result of much of the population having already gained natural immunity via Omicron infection but mild or no symptoms.
Old 20-12-2021, 20:13   #4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I always thought he was a racist. I never thought he would diss his people though.
The mayor could just be stating facts, in which case there's nothing racist about it. It also wouldn't be considered a diss by the people choosing not to get vaccinated for what they believe are legitimate reasons. Religious maybe?

There have been many urban Black communities in the US who have had low vax rates, and they have been quite open that it is because they don't trust meds pushed by the govt given the rather horrific history of experimentation on their forebears. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense objectively, but it obviously does to many of them. Once there's a significant loss of public trust it can be a long road back.
Old 21-12-2021, 01:29   #4423
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Sperm count, motility may be low for months after COVID-19 ...
As reported [1] on Monday [Dec 20/21], semen samples were obtained from 120 Belgian men, with an average age of 35 years, at an average of 52 days after their COVID-19 symptoms had resolved.

Among 51 men tested, between one and two months after recovery, 37% had reduced sperm motility, and 29% had low sperm counts.

[1] “Sperm quality and absence of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in semen after COVID-19 infection: a prospective, observational study and validation of the SpermCOVID test” ~ by Gilbert G.G.DondersM.D., Ph.D. et al
Quote:
... Conclusion(s)
Semen is not infectious with SARS-CoV-2 at 1 week or more after COVID-19 infection (mean, 53 days). However, couples with a desire for pregnancy should be warned that sperm quality after COVID-19 infection can be suboptimal. The estimated recovery time is 3 months, but further follow-up studies are under way to confirm this and to determine if permanent damage occurred in a minority of men ...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...15028221021567

Old 21-12-2021, 05:13   #4424
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Dutch border-hoppers ignore Belgium and Germany’s ‘stay away’ plea

People hopping over the border to Belgium and Germany to avoid the Dutch lockdown are filling the neighbouring countries’ restaurants and shops despite calls for them to “stay away”.

More ➥ https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...stay-away-plea

Old 21-12-2021, 06:56   #4425

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
As reported [1] on Monday [Dec 20/21], semen samples were obtained from 120 Belgian men, with an average age of 35 years, at an average of 52 days after their COVID-19 symptoms had resolved.

Among 51 men tested, between one and two months after recovery, 37% had reduced sperm motility, and 29% had low sperm counts.

[1] “Sperm quality and absence of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in semen after COVID-19 infection: a prospective, observational study and validation of the SpermCOVID test” ~ by Gilbert G.G.DondersM.D., Ph.D. et al

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...15028221021567
Could be vaccine-induced too, who knows.

Tags
rope, Europe