Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2020, 00:47   #721

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Northern Europe this Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
. . .Regarding the costs of locking down versus not I'm yet to see more analysis along those lines. Has anyone seen that type of modelling outside the one article I posted? I'm interested in credible arguments and modelling done by economists etc and will happily read it all.
. ..

There is a list of references in footnote 3, in post #709.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 28-05-2020, 09:05   #722

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So our plans have been settled by other circumstances. We will have to be up on the Gulf of Bothnia next month, during July we will slowly cruise the 1000 miles back from there to Denmark. So the wonderful Swedish High Coast, then maybe spend some time in the Aaland Islands and the Archipelago Sea. Maybe Gotland if it's open by then, or the Stockholm Archipelago and down the Swedish East Coast.

Tomorrow we should hear about Denmark opening. I hope Finland will be open to foreign boats so that we can spend some time in the Archipelago Sea. Sweden should not be an issue unless they tighten the rules unexpectedly; at the moment Sweden is open to foreign boats, at least EU boats.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 28-05-2020, 23:38   #723
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I still haven't seen any more modelling for lockdown vs no lockdown but I did find this analysis of Sweden's approach in Forbes. It's not a good look for Sweden.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuac.../#473f2a9e2dcd
Old 29-05-2020, 01:05   #724

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I still haven't seen any more modelling for lockdown vs no lockdown but I did find this analysis of Sweden's approach in Forbes. It's not a good look for Sweden.. . .

Is your only interest in this discussion bashing Sweden? Why Sweden? What specific policy do you object to? There is very little difference in the Swedish policies and those in other Nordic countries.

From the article you linked: "Calculated over the entire time period of the pandemic, Sweden’s death rate has been about average among Western countries, though many times higher than its Scandinavian neighbors, and also higher than the U.S."

Note that the last statement is actually not true -- U.S. death rates in most states quote only hospital deaths, where Sweden quotes deaths in or out of hospitals. Sweden's death rate would be half of the reported rate, if it were reported the way it is in the U.S.

A better indicator of the death rate is total excess deaths:

Click image for larger version

Name:	excessdeaths.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	216031
https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-...3-955839e06441

From this one can see that Sweden's situation is nothing unusual. Picking on Sweden, and at this early stage, just reveals bias -- an axe to grind. It shows that someone is really invested in proving that whatever was done in his own country was right, and God forbid that someone is having success doing it a different way.

As to cost-benefit analyses -- links to about 6 other such analyses were posted.

And yes, everyone knows you can read these posts, although you pretend not to.
Walt Whitman
Old 29-05-2020, 02:34   #725

Boat: Albin Vega 27"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
So our plans have been settled by other circumstances. We will have to be up on the Gulf of Bothnia next month, during July we will slowly cruise the 1000 miles back from there to Denmark. So the wonderful Swedish High Coast, then maybe spend some time in the Aaland Islands and the Archipelago Sea. Maybe Gotland if it's open by then, or the Stockholm Archipelago and down the Swedish East Coast.

Tomorrow we should hear about Denmark opening. I hope Finland will be open to foreign boats so that we can spend some time in the Archipelago Sea. Sweden should not be an issue unless they tighten the rules unexpectedly; at the moment Sweden is open to foreign boats, at least EU boats.
I hope the trip /plan works for you. I will be on lookout for any English flag then I now you made it.[emoji4]
Old 29-05-2020, 02:44   #726

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonte View Post
I hope the trip /plan works for you. I will be on lookout for any English flag then I now you made it.[emoji4]

Come over for a sundowner if you see us. Where are you based, and where will you be cruising this year?
Walt Whitman
Old 29-05-2020, 02:56   #727

Boat: Albin Vega 27"

Quote:
Come over for a sundowner if you see us. Where are you based, and where will you be cruising this year?
I'm mostly in ST Anna's arkipelago between Arkösund and Västervik. I will absolutely keep my eyes open.
Old 29-05-2020, 03:01   #728

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonte View Post
I'm mostly in ST Anna's arkipelago between Arkösund and Västervik. I will absolutely keep my eyes open.

Ah, that's a beautiful stretch of coast. I first cruised that area in 2014. If we don't go to Gotland, we will surely be there some time in July.
Walt Whitman
Old 29-05-2020, 06:53   #729

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

Quote:
I still haven't seen any more modelling for lockdown vs no lockdown but I did find this analysis of Sweden's approach in Forbes. It's not a good look for Sweden.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuac.../#473f2a9e2dcd

I have never seen such an badly researched biased piece of **** journalism. Forbes should be ashamewd of even thinking to publish this garbage. We are doing fine and better in Sweden. BECAUSE we have decency and self responsability and need not to commanded and told what to do or not. What ois more we can think by ourselves.. All else is just a power grab by the gouvernments
Old 29-05-2020, 07:00   #730
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskybeer View Post
I have never seen such an badly researched biased piece of **** journalism. Forbes should be ashamewd of even thinking to publish this garbage. We are doing fine and better in Sweden. BECAUSE we have decency and self responsability and need not to commanded and told what to do or not. What ois more we can think by ourselves.. All else is just a power grab by the gouvernments

Ha! I'm going out on a limb here to guess you don't like the article. What was poorly researched about it? Or is it just that you believe Governments who've implemented lockdowns are just out to grab power and aren't doing it to save lives?
Old 29-05-2020, 07:06   #731

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Is your only interest in this discussion bashing Sweden? Why Sweden? What specific policy do you object to? There is very little difference in the Swedish policies and those in other Nordic countries.

From the article you linked: "Calculated over the entire time period of the pandemic, Sweden’s death rate has been about average among Western countries, though many times higher than its Scandinavian neighbors, and also higher than the U.S."

Note that the last statement is actually not true -- U.S. death rates in most states quote only hospital deaths, where Sweden quotes deaths in or out of hospitals. Sweden's death rate would be half of the reported rate, if it were reported the way it is in the U.S.

A better indicator of the death rate is total excess deaths:

Attachment 216031
https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-...3-955839e06441

From this one can see that Sweden's situation is nothing unusual. Picking on Sweden, and at this early stage, just reveals bias -- an axe to grind. It shows that someone is really invested in proving that whatever was done in his own country was right, and God forbid that someone is having success doing it a different way.

As to cost-benefit analyses -- links to about 6 other such analyses were posted.

And yes, everyone knows you can read these posts, although you pretend not to.
Just to make sure...
Old 29-05-2020, 07:08   #732
cruiser

Someone's getting emotional. Thanks for the quote but I prefer my settings.
Old 29-05-2020, 07:12   #733
cruiser

8th in deaths per million of population, 17th now in total deaths. 91st in population. Worst scandi country. One of the highest, if not still the highest, rate of deaths currently in the world. The numbers just don't support this 'doing well' view.
Old 29-05-2020, 07:14   #734

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Someone's getting emotional. Thanks for the quote but I prefer my settings.
Oooh, skirting the ad hominum. And I thought this was the bear-poking thread—at least to some people.
Old 29-05-2020, 07:15   #735
cruiser

Still keen to see some more modelling on lockdowns Vs no lockdowns if anyone can link it.

Tags
rope, Europe