Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2021, 06:55   #1426

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
. . . But

We now have a positively rate of 25% and an R number of over 2.
This narrows significantly the options. You have to keep people apart , there is no other option

The view here is public health measures will run for most of 2021

For the first time, there is a real sense of fear here about Covid

Is that the new mutation?

Those are terrifying numbers. I wrote it before, but if those awful numbers are the result of the mutation, then we are all really screwed. It will change everything. God (and the vaccine) help us.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 09-01-2021, 08:58   #1427
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Northern Europe this Summer (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Is that the new mutation?

Those are terrifying numbers. I wrote it before, but if those awful numbers are the result of the mutation, then we are all really screwed. It will change everything. God (and the vaccine) help us.

25% of new infections ( And rising rapidly ) are new strain infections. It has been on the island since November

Yes it’s a very very aggressive strain . There is current talk of the Gov buying two of the private hospitals etc.

It’s a race to vaccination, it’s essentially unstoppable , short of enforced isolation

This is the U.K. strain , we have had 3 cases of the South African strain, which seems to have public health much more concerned as this mutation has significant changes to the spike protein
Old 09-01-2021, 14:27   #1428

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

By the way, anyone else in Northern Europe living at anchor at the moment during this crisis? Or know of anyone?

We have had frozen decks and blazing sunshine for ten solid days, although today it felt downright tropical when temperatures climbed to a balmy 6° with a southerly wind shift. The photo below was taken yesterday. We rowed though thin ice once it was too shallow to motor. The water was the consistency of slushy margaritas close to shore .

Probably due to a combination of COVID-19, Brexit and the new year, fresh veggies are in short supply, although potatoes, cabbage and onions are still readily available from the village shop at the other end of the loch. With a nod in your direction Goboatingnow, we munched on Colcannon cakes for dinner tonight.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E7B98F2-5D71-415C-B28C-059B2981D224.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	484.8 KB
ID:	230168  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 09-01-2021, 17:05   #1429
Nearly an old salt

Take care in these cold times.

Never eaten colcannon , so can’t comment ( isn’t it potatoes mixed through with kale or something ) rare dish in Ireland these days.
Old 09-01-2021, 18:36   #1430
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
By the way, anyone else in Northern Europe living at anchor at the moment during this crisis? Or know of anyone?

We have had frozen decks and blazing sunshine for ten solid days, although today it felt downright tropical when temperatures climbed to a balmy 6° with a southerly wind shift. The photo below was taken yesterday. We rowed though thin ice once it was too shallow to motor. The water was the consistency of slushy margaritas close to shore .

Probably due to a combination of COVID-19, Brexit and the new year, fresh veggies are in short supply, although potatoes, cabbage and onions are still readily available from the village shop at the other end of the loch. With a nod in your direction Goboatingnow, we munched on Colcannon cakes for dinner tonight.

SWL

That makes me shiver just looking at it.

We are having days of high 30"s to low 40's with minimal breeze and minimal temp drop at night - It's a bit toasty.
Old 09-01-2021, 18:55   #1431
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That makes me shiver just looking at it.

We are having days of high 30"s to low 40's with minimal breeze and minimal temp drop at night - It's a bit toasty.

Well currently it’s 26 degrees F here today outside my house !!! But the boat is sitting without me in 65 F at the moment. Damn Covid.
Old 09-01-2021, 23:45   #1432

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

SWL
I have been in the middle of a complicated mezzanine financing deal, working day and night, so haven't seen my boat since November, which makes me very nervous. I've now got the deal closed (finally), so I'll be heading to the boat a week from today, for a week. Don't know if I will do any sailing, but I've got a long list of jobs to do (as usual).

I sympathize greatly with GoBoatingNow's predicament. People separated from their boats, separated from friends and loved ones -- it's a nightmare. We're very lucky up here in that what border restrictions there are don't generally apply to us. Recreational boating between countries is allowed almost everywhere in the Baltic even where borders are closed to other kinds of non-essential travel, and crossing a border to get to your boat is specifically allowed in many cases, including Denmark where my boat is. At least something.

As to fresh veggies -- no problem here in Finland other than the very high cost. In this cold, Northern country (I'm above 60N) with a quite short growing season, we have immense hothouse facilities which keep us in fresh veggies year round. But -- 100 grammes of kale costs €3.

The UK imports a lot of its fresh veggies from Spain and Italy. It may be that you are experiencing a temporary Brexit-related interruption of supply.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 10-01-2021, 00:41   #1433

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have been in the middle of a complicated mezzanine financing deal, working day and night, so haven't seen my boat since November, which makes me very nervous. I've now got the deal closed (finally), so I'll be heading to the boat a week from today, for a week. Don't know if I will do any sailing, but I've got a long list of jobs to do (as usual).

I sympathize greatly with GoBoatingNow's predicament. People separated from their boats, separated from friends and loved ones -- it's a nightmare. We're very lucky up here in that what border restrictions there are don't generally apply to us. Recreational boating between countries is allowed almost everywhere in the Baltic even where borders are closed to other kinds of non-essential travel, and crossing a border to get to your boat is specifically allowed in many cases, including Denmark where my boat is. At least something.

As to fresh veggies -- no problem here in Finland other than the very high cost. In this cold, Northern country (I'm above 60N) with a quite short growing season, we have immense hothouse facilities which keep us in fresh veggies year round. But -- 100 grammes of kale costs €3.

The UK imports a lot of its fresh veggies from Spain and Italy. It may be that you are experiencing a temporary Brexit-related interruption of supply.
I hope your boat is fine. How have you winterised? We blew out the fresh water hoses leading to the lazarette and sail locker and turned off the pressurised water completely. The interior is warmish during the day once the heater kicks in, and the lowest it drops inside overnight is down to 1° so the rest of the systems are safe.

I think you are right and Brexit may well be the biggest factor with supplies here. Around Christmas 10,000 odd trucks were banked up when France temporarily closed its borders completely to the UK due to the B117 variant. Many drivers would have had a pretty crappy Christmas.

Friends in Stranraer (further south on the western side of Scotland) report no issues with supplies in supermarkets, but I guess distribution is just a lower priority in more isolated spots. Fresh veggies are only delivered twice a week here and they need two ferry trips to reach us.

What they have also very sadly reported though is that the infection has taken hold in Stranraer. Infections were almost non existent in spring. Sixty people are now infected in the local nursing homes (half of these staff) and 11 staff from one of the local supermarkets. It is spreading fast. Having anchored there during the first lockdown in spring, for me it brings the whole situation much closer to home.

I have always taken down Christmas decorations without fail on the 12th night, but this year they are staying up for the rest of the month at least. We are in an incredibly lucky position, but we still need the extra cheer.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:30   #1434
UFO

Quote:

It took 2.5 months for my wife to get back from the UK to Oz (she was there for 5 months in total) and she ended up having to fly 1st Class just to get back. I am now in Quarantine at home as i was in Brisbane when a single new case was discovered - I was there for 9 hours on the day, 5 sleeping the rest on the way/at the airport. As the quarantine was back dated I only get 7 days to do - The first 7 I was out and about as normal, so only can't get to the boat for a week.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:45   #1435

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It took 2.5 months for my wife to get back from the UK to Oz (she was there for 5 months in total) and she ended up having to fly 1st Class just to get back. I am now in Quarantine at home as i was in Brisbane when a single new case was discovered - I was there for 9 hours on the day, 5 sleeping the rest on the way/at the airport. As the quarantine was back dated I only get 7 days to do - The first 7 I was out and about as normal, so only can't get to the boat for a week.

Yikes. Sorry to hear.
Walt Whitman
Old 10-01-2021, 03:04   #1436

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
although potatoes, cabbage and onions are still readily available from the village shop at the other end of the loch. SWL
Mother would make Bubble and Squeak with those

not allowed near the boat and haven't been on board since Boxing Day. Folk don't seem to be isolating as much as they did during the first lock down which is a concern. Certainly road traffic whilst light is still busier than previous lock downs.

Pete, curled up on the sofa with the dogs.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:37   #1437
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Folk don't seem to be isolating as much as they did during the first lock down which is a concern. Certainly road traffic whilst light is still busier than previous lock downs.

Pete, curled up on the sofa with the dogs.

Lock down Burn Out Maybe?
Old 10-01-2021, 05:43   #1438

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I hope your boat is fine. How have you winterised? We blew out the fresh water hoses leading to the lazarette and sail locker and turned off the pressurised water completely. The interior is warmish during the day once the heater kicks in, and the lowest it drops inside overnight is down to 1° so the rest of the systems are safe.

I think you are right and Brexit may well be the biggest factor with supplies here. Around Christmas 10,000 odd trucks were banked up when France temporarily closed its borders completely to the UK due to the B117 variant. Many drivers would have had a pretty crappy Christmas.

Friends in Stranraer (further south on the western side of Scotland) report no issues with supplies in supermarkets, but I guess distribution is just a lower priority in more isolated spots. Fresh veggies are only delivered twice a week here and they need two ferry trips to reach us.

What they have also very sadly reported though is that the infection has taken hold in Stranraer. Infections were almost non existent in spring. Sixty people are now infected in the local nursing homes (half of these staff) and 11 staff from one of the local supermarkets. It is spreading fast. Having anchored there during the first lockdown in spring, for me it brings the whole situation much closer to home.

I have always taken down Christmas decorations without fail on the 12th night, but this year they are staying up for the rest of the month at least. We are in an incredibly lucky position, but we still need the extra cheer.

I never like leaving my boat for long periods. I'm not worried about freezing (it's hardly ever minus on that side of Denmark) but I am worried about an elusive deck leak which I think I have solved but am not entirely sure.

Edit: Just heard that Denmark has deleted the "going to your boat" exception to the border restrictions. Damn. So I won't be going there. I'll have to ask my friends to go down and check on her. Damn.

And here's so you know I wasn't lying about kale for €28.50 per kg in Finland:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210110_114016.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	230185
Walt Whitman
Old 10-01-2021, 05:48   #1439

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some interesting non-pandemic news from this part of the world:

https://www.reuters.com/article/swed...-idUSKBN28J1UL

I never thought I would live to see the day that Sweden starts to take steps towards joining NATO. Sweden was neutral even in WWII. Weird. According to this article, it's because Sweden is closely aligned with Finland, which has also taken some steps towards NATO membership:

We have long advocated entering into a defence alliance with Finland and are now taking a decisive step in that direction,” Sweden Democrat party leader Jimmie Akesson said in a commentary published by the Aftonbladet daily."
Walt Whitman
Old 10-01-2021, 05:59   #1440

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear this. So many awful ways people have been impacted .

Quote:
Lock down Burn Out Maybe?
Yes, burnout is a big factor. Maybe also the constantly changing restrictions haven’t help. It was just 3 weeks ago that it was expected most of the UK would be able to spend 5 days celebrating Christmas indoors at home with three other households. Most shops and restaurants were open. The vaccination program had commenced. There was an air of optimism despite the increasing case numbers.

Tags
rope, Europe