Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2021, 04:25   #1

Boat: Catalina 375
Ontario COVID Restrictions

OK all of a sudden the weather got better. Apparently sailing is locked down currently in Ontario. Likely lock downs will be extended another month. Yet I see some boats out on the water, mostly fishers. SO who is patrolling Ontario waters during the lock down and what risks are we running if we go sailing during the lock down?
Old 13-05-2021, 05:20   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Ontario COVID Restrictions

Some clubs are launching or have launched and you are permitted to be on your boat but thee boat may not leave the dock. I think if you are sailing by yourself or with members of your household it should be safe, especially with so many people having at least one jab, but if you expect any logic or consistency from the Ford government you are expecting too much, the golf situation being a perfect example.
Old 13-05-2021, 07:37   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
OK all of a sudden the weather got better. Apparently sailing is locked down currently in Ontario. Likely lock downs will be extended another month. Yet I see some boats out on the water, mostly fishers. SO who is patrolling Ontario waters during the lock down and what risks are we running if we go sailing during the lock down?
The restriction seems to be if you have a larger boat that requires launching, its considered unsafe and you must remain at the dock. If you have a smaller vessel that is trailerable, that seems to be OK to launch and use based on what I have been seeing. No logic. Seems to be OK to go out and play on a jetski but not OK to go out for a sail!

The logic is just awesome!
Old 13-05-2021, 08:30   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
The restriction seems to be if you have a larger boat that requires launching, its considered unsafe and you must remain at the dock. If you have a smaller vessel that is trailerable, that seems to be OK to launch and use based on what I have been seeing. No logic. Seems to be OK to go out and play on a jetski but not OK to go out for a sail!

The logic is just awesome!

They're probably figuring that bigger boat means more likely to load up a bunch of friends, start partying and be stupid. Not necessarily true, but from the government perspective, how do you tell the boaters apart that are just floating party animals vs serious sailors?
Old 13-05-2021, 08:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
They're probably figuring that bigger boat means more likely to load up a bunch of friends, start partying and be stupid. Not necessarily true, but from the government perspective, how do you tell the boaters apart that are just floating party animals vs serious sailors?
The reality is its the inverse..

The issue really (as in other aspects) is the inconsistency. Either its safe or its not.

Hopefully this is all in the past as of the 20th (but I'm not holding my breath)
Old 13-05-2021, 08:47   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
The reality is its the inverse..

The issue really (as in other aspects) is the inconsistency. Either its safe or its not.

Hopefully this is all in the past as of the 20th (but I'm not holding my breath)

Hopefully they do figure things out better for you guys up there. From what I saw with our own restrictions, a lot of times they seemed to be taking their best guess at what would help without being more restrictive than needed. And especially on activities the people in charge may not know a lot about, they weren't always right. And sometimes they changed the rules a few times a couple weeks apart as they either learned more, or saw what wasn't working.
Old 13-05-2021, 08:48   #7

Premier Ford is set to make an announcement shortly. It's possibly to do with extending the "stay-at-home" order, currently set to expire May 20, in some form. Our club has been planning to launch end of May, so I'm hoping they don't have to push it back some more. Agreed that most boating shouldn't pose a real risk of COVID spread, especially if it's just family members and there's been vaccinations. Clubs and marinas have been open for members and contractors to work on their boats in preparation for launch.
Old 13-05-2021, 09:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Premier Ford is set to make an announcement shortly. It's possibly to do with extending the "stay-at-home" order, currently set to expire May 20, in some form. Our club has been planning to launch end of May, so I'm hoping they don't have to push it back some more. Agreed that most boating shouldn't pose a real risk of COVID spread, especially if it's just family members and there's been vaccinations. Clubs and marinas have been open for members and contractors to work on their boats in preparation for launch.
Well they just announced the expected extension to June 2. I wonder how that will impact our launch at the End of the Month.
Old 13-05-2021, 09:47   #9

Boat: J/88

I hate this announcement as a golfer and a sailor, but I do get it. The lockdown has evidently reversed a trend and dropped the numbers so it is hard to make an argument that it is too strict in Ontario despite the evidence that outdoor sports are safe.

In my view, the press and public outcry placing all the blame on governments have made public policy makers extremely risk averse.
Old 13-05-2021, 09:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
I hate this announcement as a golfer and a sailor, but I do get it. The lockdown has evidently reversed a trend and dropped the numbers so it is hard to make an argument that it is too strict in Ontario despite the evidence that outdoor sports are safe.

In my view, the press and public outcry placing all the blame on governments have made public policy makers extremely risk averse.
The real fix for this is vaccination not "lock down's" and we need to maintain an urgency on vaccinations. Businesses need to offer incentives for vaccination and the Govt needs to lay out a set of things you CAN do once vaccinated to keep the interest up in vaccination

keep the AZ coming for those of us that have it and keep the others coming too.
Old 13-05-2021, 09:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
The amended CBC article (same link) states that they are looking at possibly relaxing restrictions on outdoor activities, since the current thinking is that the outdoors is much less conducive to transmission.
Old 13-05-2021, 09:59   #12

Boat: J/88

Quote:
The real fix for this is vaccination not "lock down's" and we need to maintain an urgency on vaccinations. Businesses need to offer incentives for vaccination and the Govt needs to lay out a set of things you CAN do once vaccinated to keep the interest up in vaccination

keep the AZ coming for those of us that have it and keep the others coming too.
Assuming we are getting all the vaccines we can get it appears the issue is not demand but supply.

I do agree that providing some guidance and freedom for vaccinated folks would be a great incentive to those resistant to getting jabbed. Having said that, I cannot imagine how they could put any kind of framework in place that wouldn't have unvaccinated folks posing as being vaccinated and making things worse.
Old 13-05-2021, 10:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The amended CBC article (same link) states that they are looking at possibly relaxing restrictions on outdoor activities, since the current thinking is that the outdoors is much less conducive to transmission.
Yes the article says they should be able to start easing restrictions by June 2... darn that's 3 days AFTER our launch weekend. Grrr

Tags
ontario