Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 14:40   #31
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Recent US East Coast cruising experience

Unenforceable?

That's a joke. Ever notice how the USCG boats have machine-guns up on their foredecks? Every municipality has water officers. If they want to shut down the ICW they will SHUT IT DOWN.

They can basically do anything with emergency powers. Is your boat bulletproof?
Old 15-07-2020, 14:53   #32

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I tend to agree we're not likely to see another total shutdown like MD did. But from what I've heard, they certainly did enforce it. We made it a point to stay well offshore past their borders during that time.

I also have hope for a vaccine. I'm even optimistic that we've finally learned to be more nuanced than a total lock-down. We now know that simple things like masks, distancing and avoiding groups, especially indoors, will keep the transmission down to a minimum.

Now, if only we could get everyone to take these simple steps...
Old 15-07-2020, 15:16   #33

Boat: Lancer 36

We will never have a true picture of what is going on, as long as there are people who do not wish the information to be shared. China comes to mind as an example; there are others closer to home. Examining trends is a good survival mechanism; it is a basic function of open source intelligence gathering. COVID is not the worst thing to be concerned about in my estimate' there are other things coming down the pipeline, and this is not the best time to get over extended.
Old 15-07-2020, 15:26   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have A diesel heater in our 44’er. We have over wintered in Delaware a few times. One year we could walk around the boat. During the day we closed off the core peak and aft cabin (cc.). Night times we had quilts or sleeping bags and agreed to never argue. The cabin could be cool. It would sometimes rain inside when the frost melted off the hatches.
Old 15-07-2020, 15:36   #35

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
How able are you going to be to pick your yard location? What we say in NY is that marinas were closed for about a week officially. Some were closed to owners Monday-Friday from 7:00am-4:00pm to limit exposure for yard employees but by and large owners were able to access their boats to get work done and expections were made for some liveaboards. We sold everything right before this all started to go mental so not having a land based home is a concern but we have plenty of family to couch surf with if required. Not at all ideal but at least we're not toally screwed should things really go south.
My cat is already in the yard. It’s a huge yard with massive social distancing built in.

I have an underlying condition so I wouldn’t dream of going anywhere that transmission is possible.

The cat is at the dock and waiting for me already.
Old 15-07-2020, 15:36   #36
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We have A diesel heater in our 44’er. We have over wintered in Delaware a few times. One year we could walk around the boat. During the day we closed off the core peak and aft cabin (cc.). Night times we had quilts or sleeping bags and agreed to never argue. The cabin could be cool. It would sometimes rain inside when the frost melted off the hatches.

That's about what I was thinking. One of the locals here was telling me that a couple of years ago this marina froze solid. Yes, we don't plan to stay here past October at the latest.
Old 15-07-2020, 15:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
That's about what I was thinking. One of the locals here was telling me that a couple of years ago this marina froze solid. Yes, we don't plan to stay here past October at the latest.
What heater do you have? How many BTU or watts?
Old 15-07-2020, 16:10   #38
Senior Cruiser

35' center cockpit (HR-35 Rasmus) hull well-insulated.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VT24CLK..._CY4dFbNRKYF41
Old 15-07-2020, 16:20   #39

Quote:
If that delivers the 17,000 BTUs it’s rated at and if you insulate your hatches and provide a vapor barrier to cold surfaces (like aluminum hatch frames)....

You could winter over comfortably in Boston with that thing.

If it puts out what it’s rated at, you’ll be very comfortable with it.
Old 15-07-2020, 16:49   #40

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Unenforceable?

That's a joke. Ever notice how the USCG boats have machine-guns up on their foredecks? Every municipality has water officers. If they want to shut down the ICW they will SHUT IT DOWN.

They can basically do anything with emergency powers. Is your boat bulletproof?
My point was about state mandated closures. And unless I missed the memo the Coast Guard has nothing to do with that. It would have to be “enforced” by local or state authorities. I don’t see that resulting in a shutdown of ICW traffic.
Old 15-07-2020, 16:51   #41

On Long Island, NY, way back in April, the marinas were the first businesses back but were not open for transient dockage. Everything is back now with the “new normal” distancing practices.

For 2 week quarantines, depends on what state you came from. The list is growing lately for that.
Old 15-07-2020, 16:58   #42
Senior Cruiser

It's gonna burn a few gallons of diesel a week. Someone is going to need to stay "home" to babysit it while the other goes shopping for food, water, more diesel, etc. Sounds like a brutal way to spend a winter. It was bad enough this spring on anchor during the lockdown. When the Chinese heater goes tilly-up, then what?

Would be better to get further south IMHO.
Old 15-07-2020, 17:28   #43

Quote:
It's gonna burn a few gallons of diesel a week. Someone is going to need to stay "home" to babysit it while the other goes shopping for food, water, more diesel, etc. Sounds like a brutal way to spend a winter. It was bad enough this spring on anchor during the lockdown. When the Chinese heater goes tilly-up, then what?

Would be better to get further south IMHO.
Wow, you can take the most positive and encouraging post and turn it into a turd. LOL.

What I’m trying to say is you’ll be warm with that heater so you’ll be good wherever you choose to be. It’s a good size for your boat.

Yes, heaters need babysitting. Yes these type tend to plug up with soot and break easily.

I have spent a few winters north of Boston with a woodstove as my only heat on my boat. As they say, it warmed me 3x Once when cutting, once when splitting and once when burning in the stove. Ha ha.

My point was to say your heater will feel nice. It’ll help you not need to be in South Florida
Old 15-07-2020, 17:31   #44
Senior Cruiser

Lots of turds out there in the real world.

For any degree of safety and certainty we'll need to be in the Carolinas, at least, by December. Sunshine pumped up the A-hole doesn't keep you warm.
Old 15-07-2020, 18:11   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Why would you need to “babysit” the diesel?

Tens of thousands of these things in long haul trucks keep drivers warm all night asleep. Asleep is not babysitting. I’ve never heard of an incident with one. Maybe it goes out. Not catastrophic unless you then can’t get to a marina in a decent amount of time.

Tags
cruising, east coast, enc