Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 17:38   #16

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: The Great Lakes Situation

My situation is the border to Mexico is currently closed. I can’t get to my boat. I asked for most of April off. So I had to cancel that. My wife is stuck in China for who knows how long. She gone 3 months and maybe another 3 months to go. So, I feel your pain. Sucks.
Old 25-03-2020, 20:32   #17

Boat: Ontario 32

First, my thanks to everyone who is contributing to this thread. Not only do we get to realize that we are all in this mess together, but we can also see how different areas and different business models are dealing with the situation, which is kind of interesting. Here in my hometown, we have 5 boating clubs and 3 public marinas. Two of the marinas are run by the city and the third one is a privately run commercial marina. The privately run marina is still proceeding with fixing up their docks and planning to launch boats, albeit while carefully maintaining social distance rules. The town marinas are simply shut down for the foreseeable future, as are the boating clubs. Those of us in the clubs and town marinas can prep our boats (maintaining social distance), we just have no idea when, or if, they will be launched.

Alan, you seem to be caught in a worse predicament than most of us, worried for both your spouse and your maritime mistress. I am sure that all of us hope that things will resolve happily for you, preferably sooner than later. My own frustration is much more minor: I spent months looking for the boat of my dreams, finally found it and made a purchase offer after a single visit. Now, it is blocked off from me and I can't make a second visit, make plans for maintenance and upgrades, or even just drool over it. I know, first world problems <sigh>.

A side observation: in one of the earlier posts, a forum member expressed surprise that the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) would be deemed an essential service. For our American cousins: the LCBO is a provincially controlled retailer that handles the sale of virtually all wine and liquor in the province. On the surface, it does seem silly to consider this to be an essential service. However, a health care professional pointed out to me that, in a period where health care services are already swamped, the last thing anyone needs is to be dealing with a number of alcoholics suffering from withdrawal and the D.T.'s. They would just tie up needed resources, both police and medical. So, in addition to the psychological benefits of an occasional good stiff drink, it can be considered a matter of essential supply. Besides, as my wife likes to say, wine is to women as duct tape is to men: it fixes everything!
Old 26-03-2020, 04:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
Yes, but why is the rum always gone?

So LittleWing, are you telling us that the big boats are getting to launch (14+ beam) but us little guys are getting the short end of the tiller?
Hi Pirate,

Nah, just that the crane is booked for that date. Currently the staff are all on layoff, so unless we can somehow magically get the boats into slings and manouvred across into the water without staff or (most of) the owners, it ain't gonna happen. I was trying to be optimistic! Ya know - set that goal out there and do everything we can to meet it.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
Old 26-03-2020, 04:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Don'cha just love how the LCBO* is considered an essential service? We'll all be under the table by the end of this...!

*Liquor Control Board of Ontario
Yeah, Pirate,

I stand corrected. I heard the Minister of Health on CBC yesterday as well. I feel pretty ignorant, as that consideration didn't even enter my consciousness (reason for leaving the LCBO open and why it's considered an essential service). Glad our government is thinking of things that don't occur to an average bear like me at all.

Best wishes all!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 26-03-2020, 05:34   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
My own frustration is much more minor: I spent months looking for the boat of my dreams, finally found it and made a purchase offer after a single visit. Now, it is blocked off from me and I can't make a second visit, make plans for maintenance and upgrades, or even just drool over it. I know, first world problems <sigh>.
We bought our boat over the winter. Currently in $$$ indoor storage at the seller's marina on Michigan several hours drive from us. Had plans to splash, test on the water, and truck to our marina on Superior in April/May. Michigan marina paid up by the previous owner through the end of May, Superior marina pre-paid by us through next spring. After June 1, I may be paying more than double to store a boat I can't visit and haven't sailed yet.

Concern for one's yacht is certainly an upper middle class, first world issue, I agree! The police officer and emergency room nurse I count in my friend circle have much more pressing concerns.
Old 26-03-2020, 05:37   #21

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
We bought our boat over the winter. Currently in $$$ indoor storage at the seller's marina on Michigan several hours drive from us. Had plans to splash, test on the water, and truck to our marina on Superior in April/May. Michigan marina paid up by the previous owner through the end of May, Superior marina pre-paid by us through next spring. After June 1, I may be paying more than double to store a boat I can't visit and haven't sailed yet.

Concern for one's yacht is certainly an upper middle class, first world issue, I agree! The police officer and emergency room nurse I count in my friend circle have much more pressing concerns.

Any information on whether the marina the boat is currently at is planning to launch? If they are, you could always transport by water if arranging over-land transport is an issue right now. Worst case, storage over the summer is typically cheaper than winter rates.
Old 26-03-2020, 06:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Any information on whether the marina the boat is currently at is planning to launch? If they are, you could always transport by water if arranging over-land transport is an issue right now. Worst case, storage over the summer is typically cheaper than winter rates.
Thanks, I'm planning on calling the current marina next week. I'm hopeful we'll be able to at least get out of the shed. Sailing her the 650 NM around could be an option if entire crew is infected and recovered, otherwise medical emergency risk seems too high.
Old 26-03-2020, 06:11   #23

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Thanks, I'm planning on calling the current marina next week. I'm hopeful we'll be able to at least get out of the shed. Sailing her the 650 NM around could be an option if entire crew is infected and recovered, otherwise medical emergency risk seems too high.
I'd plan to do it with the smallest crew reasonable, ideally all people who already live together if possible. And do it with as little outside contact as possible on the trip. So provision for the whole trip, anchor out overnight, only go in for fuel and water. It's not ideal, but it should be possible to do it safely enough.

Out of curiosity, what's the boat and what speed is she capable of?
Old 26-03-2020, 06:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd plan to do it with the smallest crew reasonable, ideally all people who already live together if possible. And do it with as little outside contact as possible on the trip. So provision for the whole trip, anchor out overnight, only go in for fuel and water. It's not ideal, but it should be possible to do it safely enough.

Out of curiosity, what's the boat and what speed is she capable of?
Boat is a Jeanneau SO 34.2, I'm guessing 6-7 kts. I'm sure the boat could do it safely, with some additional equipment. If the state is locked down enough to disallow road haulage the logistics of us driving to and from the boat on either end are going to be a challenge.
Old 26-03-2020, 09:52   #25

Boat: Beneteau 331

Effective March 24 Michigan is under Stay at Home orders for at least three weeks (April 14). Our marina officially opens up on April 15.

My biggest issue is putting my boat back together. 95% of the parts I need are sitting behind me in the offic. The others are on order and I believe they will still be delivered (fingers crossed for the stuffing box packing).

The big hurdle is getting my prop shaft done. The machine shop is closed for the Stay at Home. Return date unknown.

I'm not falling apart over it yet. I need a string of 50 plus degree days for several caulking projects and to paint the bottom. That usually happens in late April anyway.

My fingers are crossed for a May 1st launch.

I am curious about travelling and working on the boat which is kept 2 hours away on the other side of the State if I want to work on it during the shut down.

As everyone has already said, this is a minor inconvenience in the big scheme of things.
Old 26-03-2020, 11:57   #26

Boat: Ontario 32

Quote:

For me it gets even better. I am now the commodore of a fleet of 2 yachts! And not only am I cut off from my new boat, but as of today my sailing club has closed its yard to any access, so I can't even work on prepping my old boat for listing and sale.

As for being upper middle class, well I used to be, but now I am strictly a blue-collar working stiff. If you want to hear God laugh, just make a plan for your future. The fortunes of life and all that . . .

Best wishes from a Pirate who has been cast ashore.
Old 27-03-2020, 12:51   #27

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Eastern end of Lake Ontario, Marina is closed till...? No access to boats. I am essentially ready to launch (Need to install prop zinc) and it is a travel lift system, so hopefuly they can splash us soon.
I am an emergency services worker, and my thought is that if I feel that I have been exposed, I could self isolate away from my wife and daughter aboard the boat. Have plenty of books and a wood stove on board.
Major issue is that the boat contains my Strategic Rum Reserves.
Old 27-03-2020, 13:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
Eastern end of Lake Ontario, Marina is closed till...? No access to boats. I am essentially ready to launch (Need to install prop zinc) and it is a travel lift system, so hopefuly they can splash us soon.
I am an emergency services worker, and my thought is that if I feel that I have been exposed, I could self isolate away from my wife and daughter aboard the boat. Have plenty of books and a wood stove on board.
Major issue is that the boat contains my Strategic Rum Reserves.
Marina name? Boat name? - asking for for a friend...

Thanks for being out there, and please stay safe.
Old 27-03-2020, 16:15   #29

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Going to keep that info top secret!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Marina name? Boat name? - asking for for a friend...

Thanks for being out there, and please stay safe.
Old 29-03-2020, 11:55   #30

Boat: Young Sun 35

My marina on Georgian Bay (Wye Heritage) just sent out notice they plan on re-opening on April 10th.

Members will be allowed to access their boats and launch is expected mid April.

Majority of slips are drive to slips meaning social distancing can be maintained.

Also the office will remained closed unless you have an appointment and the restaurant won’t open. The marine supply shop will only accept orders and deliver to your boat.

Additionally I understand some Marinas in Ontario did not fully close and have allowed access to boats on the hard.

Tags
great lakes