Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2020, 12:45   #46

Re: The Great Lakes Situation

My local West Marine just announced they are closing for the month of April. Luckily I stocked up for projects during their Super Sale last week. Boat is on it's trailer at my house so I can piddle at will. My local lake is full to the brim and as yet they haven't closed it off yet. I may just have to hook up the Sea Ray and go socially isolate myself for a bit.
Old 30-03-2020, 13:02   #47

Boat: Rafiki 37

Does anyone have official word as to whether recreational marinas are even allowed to be open in Ontario and the other provinces? I think the orders are to have all "non-essential" businesses closed right now. Somehow, I can't see how a recreational marina would be considered "essential."
Old 30-03-2020, 13:19   #48

Another consideration on being in a rush to launch your boat this season in the Great Lakes is the availability of marine rescue (Coast Guard / Auxiliaries) and on water services (C-TOW, etc) resources. You could find yourself in trouble on the water, whether minor or serious, and find the response times delayed by a little or a lot... depending on where you are and what sort of help you need. There probably won't be a lot of other boaters out there to help out either until they lift isolation rules before that. Just another risk in these times to be heedful of.

---Jill
Old 30-03-2020, 14:16   #49

Boat: Pearson 30

Meinkes Marina on Lake Erie near Toledo is open. They do harbor several TowboatUS and sheriffs department boat I have not heard yet about the lake Erie islands situation, particularly Put In Bay and the state park marina’s. The other issue, of course, is the status of the restaurants and shops that cater to boaters as well as land tourists.

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Old 30-03-2020, 14:36   #50

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Under ohio's rules right now , marinas are considered 'essential' , so they are opening , but offices, lounges, and of course bars, etc will be closed . I would guess the islands will be ghost towns the early part of the year ( like put in bay is on mondays!)
Old 30-03-2020, 14:43   #51

Boat: Delphia 37

Anyone worried about getting their boats out this fall? Assuming one is able to get launched this spring and their home marina is open, should things get worse off could the boat get frozen in or is that a manageable risk?
Old 30-03-2020, 14:49   #52

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
Anyone worried about getting their boats out this fall? Assuming one is able to get launched this spring and their home marina is open, should things get worse off could the boat get frozen in or is that a manageable risk?
If the haul-out is in your contract I'd say you are covered, unless the marina goes out of business, then? Insurance?
Old 30-03-2020, 16:52   #53

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
I'm not particularly concerned. I figure that worst case, if it's looking like they'd be unable to haul and store us for the winter, we have a few options: go elsewhere, get the boat a bit further south where in-water storage is easier, or if the marina is ok with it, set up some bubblers, etc. and leave it in the water.

Realistically though, I don't think it's too much of a concern. If they can launch us in the spring, they'll most likely be able to haul us in the fall.
Old 30-03-2020, 17:49   #54

Boat: Bruce Roberts 345 35'

My sailing club is located on Georgian bay In Midland Ontario.
We were to be putting our own boats in on the first weekend of May. It has now tentatively been postponed until June 6-7. Normally everyone in the club is required to be at the launch for the entire day, helping to launch others boats. There is normally a morning shift and an afternoon shift. This year it will be a dedicated crew that launches all of the boats. Normally there is four crews, two in the morning and another two in afternoon.

Glen
Old 30-03-2020, 19:15   #55

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Marina name? Boat name? - asking for for a friend...

Thanks for being out there, and please stay safe.

I see what you did there
Old 30-03-2020, 20:44   #56

Boat: 1985 Aloha 28

My marina is Fifty Point near Hamilton. We are also part of a conservation area so are completely blocked from accessing our boats in storage, as they have not been deemed an essential service. Hopefully, they send out an email to give us some kind of update. At the end of the day people are dealing with much bigger issues, we will just wait patiently and see what happens
Old 31-03-2020, 15:03   #57

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
Up until a week ago, the main concern for clubs and marinas here on the Great Lakes was that we were expecting to once again experience record-high water levels. Thanks to Covid-19, this may no longer be a concern for some of us.

Here in my home club on Lake Ontario, we come together as a group to launch all of our boats in one day, using a rented crane. Because of the current restrictions on the assembly of large groups this is no longer possible (here in Ontario, the limit for a group assembly is currently 50, expect it to be reduced to 10 or less soon). So, for our club there is no possible launching for the foreseeable future. Many marinas have sent their staff home and shut down, since they are deemed non-essential. However, I have been told that the Niagara-on-the-Lake club is going to proceed with their launch, working with a 3 or 4-man team to launch their boats over a number of days.

What is the situation with your club or marina? Do you anticipate getting your boat in? Or is this going to be another lost season? And what is the effect going to be on the general Marine industry? I know of a few marine chandleries that are either closing or contemplating closing because the last few seasons have been devastating, thanks to the record high water levels.

It's a shame, because I know that my favourite form of self-isolation is to be floating around in the middle of the lake, preferably with a cold brew.
I raced to slap some VC17 on my boat bottom last Tuesday because the State OF INDIANA was going on lock down at midnight. I got the yard guys to put my boat in the water, and I was feeling really superior for beating the system...I would be in the water when the lockdown went into place.

But as I was leaving the marina, the guard told me that they were locking things down, and I would not be allowed back in!

That did not work out as planned

I did get back to the boat once since to add some extra lines and fenders due to some storms that were forecast. But I am still not allowed to be on my boat for any period of time.

I wrote to the marina manager to appeal the decision to lock us out...I don’t care about marina services, and don’t want to be contact with others, but I would like access to my boat...I am happy to “Shelter at home” on my boat.

Illinois just extended their Stay at Home program until the end of April. I suspect Indiana will follow suit. I hope I can get access to my boat, since she is in the water (1 of 3 boats in the whole marina that are in).

Greg
Old 31-03-2020, 15:12   #58

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
We bought our boat over the winter. Currently in $$$ indoor storage at the seller's marina on Michigan several hours drive from us. Had plans to splash, test on the water, and truck to our marina on Superior in April/May. Michigan marina paid up by the previous owner through the end of May, Superior marina pre-paid by us through next spring. After June 1, I may be paying more than double to store a boat I can't visit and haven't sailed yet.

Concern for one's yacht is certainly an upper middle class, first world issue, I agree! The police officer and emergency room nurse I count in my friend circle have much more pressing concerns.
Certainly we are all blessed to be worrying about our boats...we should not lose sight of that.

The day I out in last week, another boater who slips at the Michigan City marina (I am in East Chicago, IN on Lake Michigan) put in right before me. He was planning on spending the night and then sailing to Michigan City (25-30 NM I think) the next day. I,was locked out for a few sprays, but got to the boat on Saturday...and found his Pearson 30 hanging in the travel lift on shore...

Not sure what happened... he found a leak he could not fix, or he found out that the Michigan City marina was closed and he could not dock there?

Hope I run into him again if I get to the marina this week.

Strange times.

Greg
Old 31-03-2020, 15:31   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
Up until a week ago, the main concern for clubs and marinas here on the Great Lakes was that we were expecting to once again experience record-high water levels. Thanks to Covid-19, this may no longer be a concern for some of us.

Here in my home club on Lake Ontario, we come together as a group to launch all of our boats in one day, using a rented crane. Because of the current restrictions on the assembly of large groups this is no longer possible (here in Ontario, the limit for a group assembly is currently 50, expect it to be reduced to 10 or less soon). So, for our club there is no possible launching for the foreseeable future. Many marinas have sent their staff home and shut down, since they are deemed non-essential. However, I have been told that the Niagara-on-the-Lake club is going to proceed with their launch, working with a 3 or 4-man team to launch their boats over a number of days.

What is the situation with your club or marina? Do you anticipate getting your boat in? Or is this going to be another lost season? And what is the effect going to be on the general Marine industry? I know of a few marine chandleries that are either closing or contemplating closing because the last few seasons have been devastating, thanks to the record high water levels.

It's a shame, because I know that my favourite form of self-isolation is to be floating around in the middle of the lake, preferably with a cold brew.
If you are from NOTL.... Hello neighbour
Old 31-03-2020, 15:31   #60

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Does anyone have official word as to whether recreational marinas are even allowed to be open in Ontario and the other provinces? I think the orders are to have all "non-essential" businesses closed right now. Somehow, I can't see how a recreational marina would be considered "essential."
Right now the 4 marina's around me (Port Darlington, Wiggers, Port Whitby, and Whitby Yacht Club are all closed as "non-essential" and have asked customers to stay away.

Tags
great lakes