Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2021, 02:50   #136

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

I am not lying in the Whitsundays in the sun, I got bored and decided to go sailing so wandered my way north to Cairns. Right now I am sitting in my saloon in a T shirt and shorts with all the hatches open typing this.

I've actually had an ambition to sail south and circumnavigate Tasmania for about twenty years now but in spite of having been able to overcome a myriad of challenges during that twenty years have been unable to overcome my fear of freezing to death. I did get as far south as Yamba/Iluka a couple of years ago but decided I was cool enough at that far south. Maybe next year.
Old 24-08-2021, 03:15   #137

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I've actually had an ambition to sail south and circumnavigate Tasmania for about twenty years now but in spite of having been able to overcome a myriad of challenges during that twenty years have been unable to overcome my fear of freezing to death.

Fair call. I set off this morning for my trip up the east coast of Tassie and it was one degree above freezing and minus 2.6 apparent.

To cap it off I was sailing straight into the sunrise.

No fear, I had a solution...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	244160
Old 24-08-2021, 03:20   #138

Boat: Westerly Sealord
The Reality of Sailing in Australia and Covid

Quote:
I am not lying in the Whitsundays in the sun, I got bored and decided to go sailing so wandered my way north to Cairns. Right now I am sitting in my saloon in a T shirt and shorts with all the hatches open typing this.

I've actually had an ambition to sail south and circumnavigate Tasmania for about twenty years now but in spite of having been able to overcome a myriad of challenges during that twenty years have been unable to overcome my fear of freezing to death. I did get as far south as Yamba/Iluka a couple of years ago but decided I was cool enough at that far south. Maybe next year.
Well done - thread is back on track and duly renamed.

Fear of freezing to death?
Worst I have had is sunburn and frostbite on the same face on the same day but that was a bit further south.
I survived.
Old 24-08-2021, 03:27   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Fair call. I set off this morning for my trip up the east coast of Tassie and it was one degree above freezing and minus 2.6 apparent.

To cap it off I was sailing straight into the sunrise.

No fear, I had a solution...

Attachment 244160
Ah, post covid sailing headwear.... pre-covid you could leave your nose out.

You would get dobbed in for an exposed nose these days.
This was crew in mid October ie spring
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA190018.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	244162  
Old 24-08-2021, 04:07   #140

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post

PS; the whole 24,000 kids forcibly vaccinated is all BS as I am sure you are aware.
Isn't the only B.S. part of this that it was forced? Didn't they have a mass injection event in which parents submitted their children to this voluntarily, but the parents were not allowed to go in the stadium with them? Some of the kids had put videos out on Tic Toc or whatever they use showing the inside of this event. They weren't supposed to, but they're kids so...

Just curious.
Old 24-08-2021, 04:30   #141

I had a really rough day myself yesterday, 6-10 knots of breeze best I could average was about 5 knots wing and wing. But I did have to put a beenie and jacket on this morning when I started at dawn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG20210823143958.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	244167  
Old 24-08-2021, 04:43   #142

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
I have practiced medicine for over 30 years...never in a million years thought I see the day of forced vaccinations on pregnant women and children with a vaccine which nobody knows the long term affects and currently hurting people while at the same time preventing people from getting early treatment.
Abe
Amen! Most people have no idea the pressure to conform thrust upon physicians by their boards. Depart from the narrative and be persecuted, or worse, excommunicated. This has become a religion. The idea of a medical practice has largely been replaced with standardized treatments based on what is covered by insurance, or in the case of SARS-CoV-2, what is being propagated by unknowing politicians, media talking heads and the parroting masses. I don't know what is worse. The real and serious threat of professional persecution, or the mass psychosis that we have witnessed over the last many months. Either way, it is a shame. Stay strong and hold to what you know. It can't last forever. Although, it seems that many would like it to.
God Speed,
Old 24-08-2021, 05:10   #143

Quote:
I had a really rough day myself yesterday, 6-10 knots of breeze best I could average was about 5 knots wing and wing. But I did have to put a beenie and jacket on this morning when I started at dawn.
Looks delightful.

I'm sitting in socks and jocks with me dogs in front of a roaring log fire - beats being on a poorly insulated boat in far Van Diemen's Land.

Crossed the Rio Grande ( aka the Murray ) twice today - second run into injun country (NSW) in a week.

Last week coming south the border post was unmanned - it was lunch time.

Today the nice young man tried to scan the QR code on my permit but it was windy and I had folded it . I 'pologized for folding it. 'Not your fault' he sez 'it's this stupid Ipad - I'll just pretend I scanned it'

Its shaping up to be a two dog night....
Old 24-08-2021, 08:09   #144

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
I have practiced medicine for over 30 years...never in a million years thought I see the day of forced vaccinations on pregnant women and children with a vaccine which nobody knows the long term affects and currently hurting people while at the same time preventing people from getting early treatment.
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Amen! Most people have no idea the pressure to conform thrust upon physicians by their boards. Depart from the narrative and be persecuted, or worse, excommunicated. This has become a religion. The idea of a medical practice has largely been replaced with standardized treatments based on what is covered by insurance, or in the case of SARS-CoV-2, what is being propagated by unknowing politicians, media talking heads and the parroting masses. I don't know what is worse. The real and serious threat of professional persecution, or the mass psychosis that we have witnessed over the last many months. Either way, it is a shame. Stay strong and hold to what you know. It can't last forever. Although, it seems that many would like it to.
God Speed,
Well, there's one true bit in these fantasy-land tirades.

And that is that these are two prime examples of "the mass psychosis that we have witnessed over the last many months'.

I realize it's well-nigh impossible to positively influence a cult-member's views via the internet, but I'm curious how a vaccine whose operating principle has been around for decades, and whose 'active ingredient', covid spike protein building 'instructions', which is removed from the body by it's renal system within a few weeks (hence the potential need for a 'booster' shot,) figure into the 'thought' processes of those making the BS claims like those above.

What is it, the 'ghosts' of those excreted 'spike protein schoolmarms' running around causing all that (imaginary) chaos?

Granted, there are a very few (comparatively), real cases of vaccines causing problems, but they're typically related to anomalies in the individual to which they're administered, not in the vaccine itself.

Why this unsupported BS is allowed to percolate unremarked is beyond me.

Hence this post. (more and more I think of the probably apocryphal story of the English Catholic grade school teacher's query, "Can't we just teach them to read?", and say to myself, "she may have been on to something...")

From the CDC (though I know that's just 'code' for the 'brownshirts' behind the plot to deprive us of our 'freedom' to infect whomever we damn well please, as well as infringe on our 'god-given right' to contribute to the largest Virus Genetic Improvement Experiment ever conducted)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ines/mrna.html

A Closer Look at How COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines Work

"COVID-19 mRNA vaccines give instructions for our cells to make a harmless piece of what is called the “spike protein.” The spike protein is found on the surface of the virus that causes COVID-19.

First, COVID-19 mRNA vaccines are given in the upper arm muscle. Once the instructions (mRNA) are inside the muscle cells, the cells use them to make the protein piece. After the protein piece is made, the cell breaks down the instructions and gets rid of them.

Next, the cell displays the protein piece on its surface. Our immune systems recognize that the protein doesn’t belong there and begin building an immune response and making antibodies, like what happens in natural infection against COVID-19.

At the end of the process, our bodies have learned how to protect against future infection. The benefit of mRNA vaccines, like all vaccines, is those vaccinated gain this protection without ever having to risk the serious consequences of getting sick with COVID-19.

Facts about COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines

They cannot give someone COVID-19.

mRNA vaccines do not use the live virus that causes COVID-19.
They do not affect or interact with our DNA in any way.

mRNA never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA (genetic material) is kept.

The cell breaks down and gets rid of the mRNA soon after it is finished using the instructions.

COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines Will Be Rigorously Evaluated for Safety

mRNA vaccines are safe and effective.

mRNA vaccines have been held to the same rigorous safety and effectiveness standards as all other types of vaccines in the United States. The only COVID-19 vaccines the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will make available for use in the United States (by approval or emergency use authorization) are those that meet these standards.

mRNA Vaccines Are New, But Not Unknown

Researchers have been studying and working with mRNA vaccines for decades. Interest has grown in these vaccines because they can be developed in a laboratory using readily available materials. This means the process can be standardized and scaled up, making vaccine development faster than traditional methods of making vaccines.

mRNA vaccines have been studied before for flu, Zika, rabies, and cytomegalovirus (CMV). As soon as the necessary information about the virus that causes COVID-19 was available, scientists began designing the mRNA instructions for cells to build the unique spike protein into an mRNA vaccine.

Future mRNA vaccine technology may allow for one vaccine to provide protection for multiple diseases, thus decreasing the number of shots needed for protection against common vaccine-preventable diseases.

Beyond vaccines, cancer research has used mRNA to trigger the immune system to target specific cancer cells."
Old 24-08-2021, 13:01   #145

I'm old enough to have been a school child when the Salk polio vaccine was developed. The doctor and a couple of nurses turned up at my school one day and vaccinated every one of us then came back a while later and administered a second dose.

Then I grew up and had children of my own and at various times they were vaccinated against numerous diseases.

No controversies or complaints about infringements of freedoms, it was just something which had to be done to protect individual and public health. Two options, you vaccinate and avoid a lot of illness and deaths or you don't and a lot of people get sick and die. It's a self evident truth.
Old 24-08-2021, 14:19   #146

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

don't know what you guys are complaining about !

we're in in bundy at the moment...heading north to get away from lockdowns...and it's 6 deg here this morning ! that's ridiculous !

bring on global warming i say...

cheers,
Old 24-08-2021, 14:24   #147

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What a strange moderation

The whole thread has nothing to do with cruising or sailing. Delete the whole thing if you are being consistent.

As for politics. It’s seems to apply to US politics only.
Being in the US I find it enlightening. It is nice to know we are not alone with a discourse of opinions.
Old 24-08-2021, 14:58   #148

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To the poster who thinks it gets cold enough in Southport, Qld., and hasn't yet come to circumnavigate Tasmania, it gets really cold here if you're tropically acclimatized. But it isn't like winters in the far north in the Northern hemisphere, either. Most days have a sunny period, so it is not cold and grey ALL the time. Also, it stays predominantly green, so it is not all dead tan and leafless trees. Of course, the eucalypts stay green, but the meadows begin to green up with the first rains of autumn. It has been a wonderful place to spend cyclone season for a long time, for us, we've come here 25 times or so since the early 90's.

It is not hard to find op shops here and you can find winter clothing in them if you don't want to buy new. Also, tourists often buy and sell garments just for summer, so there are bargains to be had. Summer here is quite doable, but coolish by Qld standards.

It is easy to get here, just hop, southbound on the enhanced trades when they show up, you also have the escalator to help (the EAC). The bureau of meteorology has a graphic that shows where it is running strongest enough. We usually run south well offshore, although with catamaran draught, you can make the whole trip in day hops, and won't want to go so far out. The trip northbound is different, we do it in day trips, very close inshore. We wait in Eden for an opportunity to have the wind with us for crossing Bass Sts. Sometimes for as long as about 2 1/2 weeks.

Tassie health service has people with whom you can coordinate, and quarantining on your own boat is sometimes allowed. Who knows about it is GILow, who coordinated with them when he left Adelaide and eventually arrived in Hobart town.

Others have been allowed to quarantine with family members upon return.

Ann

PS. @ goboatingnow: Canada has their own Covid thread, and I thought that rather than close this one, I'd prefer to see the Aussies have their own, too if they want. I rather doubt I shall go to such a lot of work to preserve a thread again.
Old 24-08-2021, 15:32   #149
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
To the poster who thinks it gets cold enough in Southport, Qld., and hasn't yet come to circumnavigate Tasmania, it gets really cold here if you're tropically acclimatized. But it isn't like winters in the far north in the Northern hemisphere, either. Most days have a sunny period, so it is not cold and grey ALL the time. Also, it stays predominantly green, so it is not all dead tan and leafless trees. Of course, the eucalypts stay green, but the meadows begin to green up with the first rains of autumn. It has been a wonderful place to spend cyclone season for a long time, for us, we've come here 25 times or so since the early 90's.

It is not hard to find op shops here and you can find winter clothing in them if you don't want to buy new. Also, tourists often buy and sell garments just for summer, so there are bargains to be had. Summer here is quite doable, but coolish by Qld standards.

It is easy to get here, just hop, southbound on the enhanced trades when they show up, you also have the escalator to help (the EAC). The bureau of meteorology has a graphic that shows where it is running strongest enough. We usually run south well offshore, although with catamaran draught, you can make the whole trip in day hops, and won't want to go so far out. The trip northbound is different, we do it in day trips, very close inshore. We wait in Eden for an opportunity to have the wind with us for crossing Bass Sts. Sometimes for as long as about 2 1/2 weeks.

Tassie health service has people with whom you can coordinate, and quarantining on your own boat is sometimes allowed. Who knows about it is GILow, who coordinated with them when he left Adelaide and eventually arrived in Hobart town.

Others have been allowed to quarantine with family members upon return.

Ann

PS. @ goboatingnow: Canada has their own Covid thread, and I thought that rather than close this one, I'd prefer to see the Aussies have their own, too if they want. I rather doubt I shall go to such a lot of work to preserve a thread again.
Good on yer Ann..
It is supposed to be a multi national forum after all.. ignore the spoil sports..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 24-08-2021, 16:10   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Being in the US I find it enlightening. It is nice to know we are not alone with a discourse of opinions.
And its not so much about vaccines and whether to get vaxxed or not. The unhappiness is more about lockdowns and state border closures.That - at one level of government - is a left wing lockdown stance v a right wing 'let her rip' approach.

At another level it is two states with Covid outbreaks - Victoria being left wing and NSW being right wing - versus the remaining 'zero covid' states which are a mixed bag of left and right.

Meanwhile Vic and NSW just keep on closing their borders to each other. Just now NSWelshmen can't enter Victoria, a few months ago Victorians couldn't enter NSW.

All very confusing.

The rules of cricket make more sense.
https://www.futilitycloset.com/2009/...o-a-foreigner/

Tags
Australia