Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 16:45   #1501
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

Emu, on the other hand, farms easy. Demand for emu fat is big. Have a good Captain Cook 'round the ridges, you'll find big mobs of emu farms.

Emu fat goes into high end cosmetics for sheilas, as you no doubt are aware. A good pressie to carry when you're on ya way to the Saturday night dances. Good massage and lube too, if you're inta that.

You could run a few head on ya lower 40. Bit of fencing. As long as you handle them from chicks onwards, not a problem (but doan get a big adult riled at ya).

Down around Kikuchi city (菊池市), almost smack in the middle of Kyushu (九州), you'll find an emu farm or two. A few head are run down in Oita prefecture (大分県), southwest of Kikuchi, too.

You could pop over, introduce yourself, and pick up a few tips on best feed, fencing, and so on. 'Course for all I know, you're already an expert emu ringer. I'll say no more. I'll bet SWL could teach you some rope work just right for working emus.

Just like the colt from Old Regret, a coupla dozen head got away from a farm just outside Kikuchi just the other day.

Read the story and watch the video (shot by a neighbour): https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0li/012000c
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Fair go, don't spoil a good story!!
I think we have Lace Goannas/ Monitors on the farm .. I see one maybe once a year - usually on the side of a tree - now and again crossing the road. ( Echidnas are more common - rabbits less so). They run about 2 metres long - wouldn't want to find one in your sleeping bag!.
Probably why we don't have rats or mice - or drop bears.
Quote:
Back in the '70s I was working in The Isa.

Used to be big perentie in the spinifex country. The Old People (the murris, First Nation people, in this case the Kalkadoon) used to say that when you saw a perentie on the side of a tree it was calling for rain to fall, bringing back water and life to the land.

Goanna, perentie, all are good hunters. Old People used to reckon they had a venom in the mouth. White 'pfellas, the Belanda, reckoned it was just a lot of oral bacteria.

Whatever, a goanna was good tucker and the fat was much prized.

In spinifex country, the Old People distinguished between goanna and perentie. Way I learned it, goanna was mainly polka dots. Perentie had dots and lines.

Great granddad Mighty (and great grandma, who came to VIC from SA) left VIC in the late 1880s and made their way up through NSW to the SW corner of QLD. So I don't have dreaming of your lace goanna or your country. Sad.
There are serious implications with Emu farming even with good fencing and SWL wrangling skills, they will (and do) kick down dunny doors especially those new "access to all" doors. Brick outhouses with cat 1 cyclone doors are found in all the better stations though it must be said that even then, a cranky big bugga emu will have a go at any door. Told it helps for easing the bowels of the ringers inside.

Mention has been made of emu oil in massage products so let's not forget the other merchandising byproducts of the bird namely the feathers which have some following among fellas and their missus from the big smoke in keeping the excitement alive in lockdowns.

Now moving on to the goannas

AM, you sound like some who should know so could you please pass judgement of the old fella's stories about the dangers of standing still near frightened perenties (sp?). The yarns I heard as a kiddie had it that the frightened big beggars would tear up to a townie who held his ground and climb 'em like they would a mulga trunk. This never ended well for the city slickers. Twas better to step to the side at the last minute and squat quick smart, the lizard would waltz by towards the setting sun.

I'm reckon they were gaming me like they did when banging on about bunyips.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-10-2021, 16:46   #1502

As the vaccination rate creeps up it's kind of interesting to speculate on where it is going to stop. Aus people are pretty compliant and there is a big carrot but it is going to stop somewhere. I have been watching the rates by LGA and the daily increase on the website created by the teenagers in Richmond ( VIC). They present the information scraped from all the different State sites and present it in a consistent manner. https://covidlive.com.au/

Anyone following Victoria will know that the majority of the cases were in the outer North and West and now increasing in the outer South East. These LGAs were very slow to start the vaccinations but with increased focus have rates as good as or better than the inner city LGAs and still showing some significant momentum, whereas the inner most LGAs started well and have now started to tail off despite not having reached a high initial coverage. All going to play out in the next month.
https://covidlive.com.au/report/vacc...c?sort=net-asc

Compare these two groups:
Hume 86.3 +5.6, Casey 88.9 +5.5, Whittlesea 83.3 +4.9, Wyndham 94.2 +5.0 and Birmbank 82.8 +4.5
and
Stonnington 79 +1.5, Yarra 74 + 1.5, Boroondara 87.3 + 1.6, Port Phillip 76.4 + 1.9, Melbourne 70.4 + 2.1

So, looks like the hardest affected LGAs are going full steam and the relatively unaffected ones are slowing, I'm curious to see what the final rates will be. Despite Melbourne being the lowest % of all the LGAs it's still better than a lot of places in the world, just strikes me as odd.
Old 12-10-2021, 17:00   #1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Well I don’t know about the vaccine usage in Australia but I do know I am completely dumbfounded by the stuff you are saying. Sounds like a firrin language to me
Yeah, sorry about that but it is so refreshing to be able to post in one's native tongue without the stress of dumping down the script so the up overs can follow the conversations.

I reckon serious sailors will be able navigate the soundings and shallows of the tidal waters of songlines from the dreaming.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-10-2021, 17:03   #1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanngrisnir View Post
As the vaccination rate creeps up it's kind of interesting to speculate on where it is going to stop. Aus people are pretty compliant and there is a big carrot but it is going to stop somewhere. I have been watching the rates by LGA and the daily increase on the website created by the teenagers in Richmond ( VIC). They present the information scraped from all the different State sites and present it in a consistent manner. https://covidlive.com.au/

Anyone following Victoria will know that the majority of the cases were in the outer North and West and now increasing in the outer South East. These LGAs were very slow to start the vaccinations but with increased focus have rates as good as or better than the inner city LGAs and still showing some significant momentum, whereas the inner most LGAs started well and have now started to tail off despite not having reached a high initial coverage. All going to play out in the next month.
https://covidlive.com.au/report/vacc...c?sort=net-asc

Compare these two groups:
Hume 86.3 +5.6, Casey 88.9 +5.5, Whittlesea 83.3 +4.9, Wyndham 94.2 +5.0 and Birmbank 82.8 +4.5
and
Stonnington 79 +1.5, Yarra 74 + 1.5, Boroondara 87.3 + 1.6, Port Phillip 76.4 + 1.9, Melbourne 70.4 + 2.1

So, looks like the hardest affected LGAs are going full steam and the relatively unaffected ones are slowing, I'm curious to see what the final rates will be. Despite Melbourne being the lowest % of all the LGAs it's still better than a lot of places in the world, just strikes me as odd.
to the coders of covidlive.
Old 12-10-2021, 17:14   #1505

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Now I'm not one for conspiracies - however....
Why do the powers that be stop updating the vax figures when they hit 95% in any area??
I reckon its cos they found that in many areas they were cracking the 100% mark which means that someone somewhere is massaging the figures!!!!!
The only exception to the rule is the ACT.

I reckon we've been dudded.
Old 12-10-2021, 17:40   #1506

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
AM, you sound like some who should know so could you please pass judgement of the old fella's stories about the dangers of standing still near frightened perenties (sp?). The yarns I heard as a kiddie had it that the frightened big beggars would tear up to a townie who held his ground and climb 'em like they would a mulga trunk. This never ended well for the city slickers. Twas better to step to the side at the last minute and squat quick smart, the lizard would waltz by towards the setting sun.

I'm reckon they were gaming me like they did when banging on about bunyips.
I spent three or four years working in and around The Isa. Job "responsibilities" included everything from taking Brit geologists working in the mine on weekend jollies, showing them the old mica mines, teaching them how to dig for tourmaline crystals and staurolite twins, and showing them First Nation grinding stones. Dug trilobite-rich rock, at Beetle Ck, to supply a commercial fossil provider.

I've only seen dinkum perentie in spinifex country. Reticent, they are. I've never seen a frightened perentie. Wouldn't want to. Adults are as big as Chips Rafferty (or BRS, for the young'uns). And many of the perentie I've seen were draped around the shoulders of a murri woman, proudly showing everyone that she was Hunter No. 1 of the day.

I don't think I've ever seen a dinkum perentie run. Them murri women don't scare the perentie, they just hunt and catch for their family. It's like tuna, marlin, long pig, or chook - no one wants to eat meat disflavoured by shock proteins, lactic acid, or whatever. Take them calmly and the muscle is tender and sweet.

Sand goannas, not perentie, are the runners. You find them in spinifex country, but more in lightly timbered country - kangaroo pasture turned into sheep pasture by the white pfellas.

Sand goannas run. Legs magically become vertical and move faster than you can see. Call 'em 'racehorse goanna', they do.

Sand goannas are the ones fabled to go up your leg - and they're the ones you tell townies about.

Sand goanna do run to a tree when chased or scared. Take proper flight. When they get to the tree, they don't scale it. They sorta grab it and flatten themselves around it.

I've been with ringers hunting sand goanna and seen them take flight. And I think the result is that yes, a goanna is as likely to run up a leg as up a tree. But they just grip the leg (claws might dig into skin unless you're wearing yer moleskins) and stay there. They don't run up to your noggin. And you just stay calm, let the goanna calm down, pry it off and either turn it into tucker or put it down calmly to make its way to its future.

But, as El Pinguino wrote, yer doan wanna spoil a good story.

When I was a little'un, I was scared stiff of bunyips. 'Can remember camping in a tin shed temporarily. Contraction noises of the sheet metal at night. Adults reckoned it was bunyips. I slept with my bunyip stick at the ready. Teaches one to be sceptical of politicians. That's a valuable lesson.
Old 12-10-2021, 19:34   #1507

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Them murri women don't scare the perentie, they just hunt and catch for their family. It's like tuna, marlin, long pig, or chook - no one wants to eat meat disflavoured by shock proteins, lactic acid, or whatever. Take them calmly and the muscle is tender and sweet.
Apparently it's a condition called 'capture myopathy'. Muscle damage resulting from stress and exertion.

Capture myopathy is in the new stories today. I didn't learn it at school. Wasn't in the curriculum. Sad.

So when you're after long pig, you're advised to lay in wait and ambush them, take them calmly and not run them down. Then the calf and rump are No. 1 tucker.
Old 12-10-2021, 20:23   #1508

Quote:
I spent three or four years working in and around The Isa. Job "responsibilities" included everything from taking Brit geologists working in the mine on weekend jollies, showing them the old mica mines, teaching them how to dig for tourmaline crystals and staurolite twins, and showing them First Nation grinding stones. Dug trilobite-rich rock, at Beetle Ck, to supply a commercial fossil provider.

I've only seen dinkum perentie in spinifex country. Reticent, they are. I've never seen a frightened perentie. Wouldn't want to. Adults are as big as Chips Rafferty (or BRS, for the young'uns). And many of the perentie I've seen were draped around the shoulders of a murri woman, proudly showing everyone that she was Hunter No. 1 of the day.

I don't think I've ever seen a dinkum perentie run. Them murri women don't scare the perentie, they just hunt and catch for their family. It's like tuna, marlin, long pig, or chook - no one wants to eat meat disflavoured by shock proteins, lactic acid, or whatever. Take them calmly and the muscle is tender and sweet.

Sand goannas, not perentie, are the runners. You find them in spinifex country, but more in lightly timbered country - kangaroo pasture turned into sheep pasture by the white pfellas.

Sand goannas run. Legs magically become vertical and move faster than you can see. Call 'em 'racehorse goanna', they do.

Sand goannas are the ones fabled to go up your leg - and they're the ones you tell townies about.

Sand goanna do run to a tree when chased or scared. Take proper flight. When they get to the tree, they don't scale it. They sorta grab it and flatten themselves around it.

I've been with ringers hunting sand goanna and seen them take flight. And I think the result is that yes, a goanna is as likely to run up a leg as up a tree. But they just grip the leg (claws might dig into skin unless you're wearing yer moleskins) and stay there. They don't run up to your noggin. And you just stay calm, let the goanna calm down, pry it off and either turn it into tucker or put it down calmly to make its way to its future.

But, as El Pinguino wrote, yer doan wanna spoil a good story.

When I was a little'un, I was scared stiff of bunyips. 'Can remember camping in a tin shed temporarily. Contraction noises of the sheet metal at night. Adults reckoned it was bunyips. I slept with my bunyip stick at the ready. Teaches one to be sceptical of politicians. That's a valuable lesson.
Refreshing stuff - better than Covid facts and and mistruths any day
Old 12-10-2021, 22:17   #1509

Another quarotel escapee - gosh these places are porous. This time in Hobart and the runner was Covid positive. He had already turned up without the proper clearances (G2G pass) and had been rejected twice previously.

Dunno why they didn't chuck him in the slammer until the next flight out.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...tive/100360152
Old 12-10-2021, 22:32   #1510

And a personal account from VIC teen who did time (15 days) in ICU and ventilated for 14 days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...tal-/100534876
Old 13-10-2021, 03:43   #1511
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
A woman friend of ours got an app called "Wallet"...
Interesting.
https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=7h3vwlh5
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...pp/5811681001/

Old 13-10-2021, 14:30   #1512

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Another quarotel escapee - gosh these places are porous. This time in Hobart and the runner was Covid positive. He had already turned up without the proper clearances (G2G pass) and had been rejected twice previously.

Dunno why they didn't chuck him in the slammer until the next flight out.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...tive/100360152

This one looks like it might be higher risk than the Launceston moron. I’m five days from crossing the SA border... I’m wondering if I’ll make it before any fallout from this creep.
Old 13-10-2021, 14:34   #1513

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

On a lighter note, I’ve been wrestling with one federal government department for the last two months as I’ve been under way from Tasmania to South Australia. I understand that they are not used to yachties but all I was asking was that they waived their requirement for me to attend an appointment in person and carry out the interview by phone instead.

Finally yesterday, in exasperation I asked if they would prefer I broke the law and crossed from Victoria into South Australia by land or go out and die in a gale on Bass Strait.

At this point the girl put me on hold, then came back after five minutes to say they’d granted me a one month extension.

Seems it’s just a matter of putting things in terms they can understand.
Old 13-10-2021, 15:42   #1514

Boat: Westerly Sealord

We've been able to put our vaccination certificates in Wallet since whenever, in my case early July, but that is the 'freestanding' vax cert from Medicare which apparently can be forged or so they say.
What they are doing now is linking it to our 'ServiceVic' app.. the one we use with the QR code when entering a shop or business. The idea is check in with QR code and then show your vax cert in same app. (NSW is still working on theirs and I need both because I am a border dweller) .
The next step down the road is the full 'vax pasaporte' for international travel.

The joy of having a federal system.

I have also discovered that despite them not upgrading the percentage vaxxed per age group once they hit 95% you can use the figures given to work it out, my age group is on 99% Australia wide - that's first shot so 99% fully vaxxed by the end of November.
ACT is 97.5% of eligible pop over age 12 which is pretty impressive.
Info here
https://www.theage.com.au/national/c...28-p56xht.html
Old 14-10-2021, 01:44   #1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
This one looks like it might be higher risk than the Launceston moron. I’m five days from crossing the SA border... I’m wondering if I’ll make it before any fallout from this creep.
Thanks to this socket head muppet, there are now 60 people in quaro in Hobart for 14 days (including 13 coppers). All cooling their heels waiting to know if they are inflected.

Covid will the least of his problems if public sentiment is any guide.

Tags
Australia