Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2021, 06:34   #1606
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I think it has been decided herd immunity is not possible with the high transmissibility of the Delta variant, as the vaccines (and even previous disease) do not prevent re-infection. Multiple vaccines or infections may possibly achieve this.
SWL
Covid-19 “Herd Immunity” is not an absolute.

Herd immunity occurs when a large portion of a community (the herd) becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease, from person to person, unlikely. Even un-vaccinated individuals are offered some protection, because the disease has little opportunity to spread [not none]. within the community.

Often, a percentage of the population must be capable of getting a disease, in order for it to spread. This is called a threshold proportion.
If the proportion of the population, that is immune to the disease, is greater than this threshold, the spread of the disease will decline [not necessarily end]. This is known as the herd immunity threshold.

The percentage of people who need to be immune, in order to achieve herd immunity varies with each disease.
For example, herd immunity against measles requires about 95% of a population to be vaccinated. The remaining 5% will be protected, by the fact that measles will not spread, among those who are vaccinated.

The proportion of the population that must be vaccinated, against COVID-19, to begin inducing herd immunity, is not known. This is an important area of research, and will likely vary according to the community, the vaccine, the populations prioritized for vaccination, and other factors.

Some experts estimate that herd immunity would require around 80-90% of the population, to have COVID-19 immunity, either through prior infection or vaccination.

Some [many?] scientists believe that herd immunity [Covid-19] is very unlikely to be possible.

“Five reasons why COVID herd immunity is probably impossible” ~ by Christie Aschwanden
Even with vaccination efforts in full force, the theoretical threshold for vanquishing COVID-19 looks to be out of reach.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

Old 23-10-2021, 06:43   #1607

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Covid-19 “Herd Immunity” is not an absolute.
Sure, I agree every bit counts. It is “absolute” that is not apparently possible in this case, as it is for some other diseases.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 23-10-2021, 10:23   #1608

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Because not many months ago, Australia was the least vaccinated developed country in the world. Who could have expected such a dramatic catch-up?

Anyway, expected or unexpected, it's great news. You should be getting pretty close to herd immunity by now.
That was simply because of federal government incompetence - 'its not a race' - in sourcing vaccines and not any vax hesitancy.
As a '1b' I was right behind the small high risk '1a' group. Had my first within days of it being available - in the last days of March. Didn't other countries start vaxxing in December last?
Herd immunity? Just look at NSW to see how that is going, it seems to be going pretty well.
Old 23-10-2021, 15:34   #1609

Lots of info here
Scroll to the bottom of the page to see how Australia is doing compared with the world - bottom (almost) of the list again!

https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...and-statistics

Good NSW info here
https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/stay...and-statistics
Old 23-10-2021, 16:28   #1610
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Because not many months ago, Australia was the least vaccinated developed country in the world. Who could have expected such a dramatic catch-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That was simply because of federal government incompetence - 'its not a race' - in sourcing vaccines and not any vax hesitancy.
Put another way, a couple of 'Australians' prevented some 22,500,000 Australians from getting vaccinated in a timely manner.

It is unlikely we will ever know why but one of them did smirk something about 'walk, don't run' which was code for 'the dog ate the purchase order'.

If you nip up to Glasgow next week, you might see the principal culprit.

Nevertheless it's water under the bridge now and most of the state medicos are doing the heavy lifting.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 23-10-2021, 23:29   #1611

Boat: Other peoples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Put another way, a couple of 'Australians' prevented some 22,500,000 Australians from getting vaccinated in a timely manner.

It is unlikely we will ever know why but one of them did smirk something about 'walk, don't run' which was code for 'the dog ate the purchase order'.

If you nip up to Glasgow next week, you might see the principal culprit.

Nevertheless it's water under the bridge now and most of the state medicos are doing the heavy lifting.
I must add. The State and Territory Premier's have done the hard yards. Has been bugger all leadership from the religious nutter Slo Mo.
Old 24-10-2021, 01:35   #1612

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
COVID hits Melbourne migrant detention facility

A third of the refugees and asylum seekers* held in a Melbourne immigration detention hotel have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Australian Border Force (ABF), prompting more calls for the government to extend immediate medical care to the migrants and release them into the community.
* There are 46 refugees and asylum seekers in the facility; one hospitalised and the remaining 45 in isolation or confined to their rooms.
Figures, released by the government [NO citation], on Monday, show that only 52 percent have received a single dose, and just 17 percent are fully vaccinated.

More ➥
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...ntion-facility
Despite Al Jazza getting their info from 'people with an agenda' and quoting 'facts' with '[No citation'] that is yet another one we can pin on the Feds, Scumbo, 'Bullet Head Dutton' and his black shirted fascist goons aka 'Border Farce'.
More here from The Age
Victorian authorities concerned by refugee cluster
By Ashleigh McMillan
Victorian health authorities say they are “quite concerned” about an outbreak amongst refugees currently in detention in a Melbourne hotel.

Detainees have previously reported that 20 men have tested positive to COVID-19 at the Park Hotel in Carlton, which has been used since last year as a makeshift detention facility.

Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley said they had sought assurances from both the Commonwealth and the operator of the hotel that their infection prevention control was effective and were “looking forward to those issues being addressed”.

He said at least one refugee had been taken to hospital with the virus.

“What we’re concerned about is the measures in place at the facility, they need to be the same, or at least the same kind of standard that we will expect in other arrangements,” Mr Foley said.

“We’re not saying that isn’t the case, but we just don’t have the clarity of oversight, and we’re seeking some assurances.”

Mr Foley said he was writing to the federal government to share concerns about the outbreak brought to him by the public.'

https://www.theage.com.au/national/n...=p52zlm#p52zlm
Old 24-10-2021, 14:34   #1613

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I got a bit of a chuckle when the local Border Force guy had to ask one of the local shipwrights to ferry a business card out to me on a dinghy while I was quarantining at anchor in one of the harbours on my journey to Adelaide.

The Border Force guy didn’t actually have access to a boat.

I phoned him and reassured him that I was not smuggling drugs and that I had not come from overseas. He seemed happy to take me at my word. (From watching the news, it appears most drug smugglers have newer and bigger boats than mine,)

But he said something in our conversation that was interesting (aside from mentioning that he didn’t have a boat) and that was he really wasn’t concerned with anything to do with Covid quarantine, that was for the local police to manage.

I wonder if that is the same all around Oz?
Old 25-10-2021, 00:11   #1614

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I got a bit of a chuckle when the local Border Force guy had to ask one of the local shipwrights to ferry a business card out to me on a dinghy while I was quarantining at anchor in one of the harbours on my journey to Adelaide.

The Border Force guy didn’t actually have access to a boat.

I phoned him and reassured him that I was not smuggling drugs and that I had not come from overseas. He seemed happy to take me at my word. (From watching the news, it appears most drug smugglers have newer and bigger boats than mine,)

But he said something in our conversation that was interesting (aside from mentioning that he didn’t have a boat) and that was he really wasn’t concerned with anything to do with Covid quarantine, that was for the local police to manage.

I wonder if that is the same all around Oz?
I think the various state health departments are handling quaro requirements backed up by the state rozzers.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-10-2021, 00:38   #1615

It isn't only flash boats and cars that are running the border blockades in Oz.

A private helicopter was the choice for the former head of the National COVID-19 Commission Advisory Board (and current chair of Perth Airport and RFDS) to travel to WA from QLD. He has charged with breaching Western Australia's coronavirus border restrictions with the potential of jail time.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...ions/100564474
Old 25-10-2021, 00:40   #1616

Quote:
I think the various state health departments are handling quaro requirements backed up by the state rozzers.
I'm guessing Matt was in Portland which would have Border Force presence pretence as it is an international port. Poor bugger ( bf man - not Matt ) was proably no end confused when a yacht turned up.
Old 25-10-2021, 00:45   #1617

Quote:
It isn't only flash boats and cars that are running the border blockades in Oz.

A private helicopter was the choice for the former head of the National COVID-19 Commission Advisory Board (and current chair of Perth Airport and RFDS) to travel to WA from QLD. He has charged with breaching Western Australia's coronavirus border restrictions with the potential of jail time.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...ions/100564474
Jeez, you couldn't make this stuff up.
They have just given a third Demon supporter two months in pokey - and I reckon he had a better reason for travel than this entitled dick.

Wadja reckon about the tennis players? Seems Vic is still making up its mind re required vaxx status.
Old 25-10-2021, 01:01   #1618

Meanwhile, as the scruff ends of assorted requirements in Vic keep getting crossed off the list I still can't get my indentured labour down from the ACT. Well I can get them down but when they go back they are still stuck with 14 days home quarantine.
ACT residents can come and go from a huge range of NSW districts - mainly covering coastal resorts - with no restrictions.
https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/trave...rder-residents

From Monday Melbournians will also be able to visit these districts and mix with our federal elites.
I see a change in the wind.
Old 25-10-2021, 02:19   #1619

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
I'm guessing Matt was in Portland which would have Border Force presence pretence as it is an international port. Poor bugger ( bf man - not Matt ) was proably no end confused when a yacht turned up.

Well, I think he was well armed with photos of Columbia drug boats for easy comparison. My old girl looks pretty different.

Nice bloke tho.
Old 25-10-2021, 06:31   #1620
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
...Wadja reckon about the tennis players? Seems Vic is still making up its mind re required vaxx status.
Early Monday, a leaked email from the WTA to its Players' Council, reported by the New York Times and Melbourne's The Age newspaper, suggested unvaccinated players would likely be granted a visa but must do two weeks in isolation in a quarantine hotel.
Fully vaccinated players would not have to undergo quarantine.
More ➥ https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis-2...222331173.html

Tags
Australia