Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2021, 13:35   #1771

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
There is a bit of stuff out there on one website- which also informs us that Hilary Clinton has been hanged at Gitmo.
If anybody cares
https://www.larryhannigan.com.au/202...rews-victoria/

John Hart JP does exist and plays croquet.

And Misprison of Treason is a 'thing'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misprision_of_treason
'This is the 'charge'
'This completes the legal process to activate the criminal action against the defendant for the crimes of concealing the unlawful removal of the constitutional monarch, without a national referendum (S128 Constitutional Act)'

One never knows what one is going to discover over one's first coffee of the day.
WOW, and these Muppets are allowed to walk the earth and breed
Old 08-11-2021, 13:55   #1772
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Well I did research it and the interwebs says NO
Here's but a small taste
https://www.reddit.com/r/auslaw/comm...e_at_it_again/

But I'll admit, I don't have the l33t interwebs skills or magic decoder ring that you seem to have so please, as these facts are so easily proven can you please do so
All this 'jumble of gobbledygook' could be an unknown medical (human) side effect of using ivermectin...worth keeping a weather eye on it.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-11-2021, 18:49   #1773

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
For your information on Darwin and its people

https://nteconomy.nt.gov.au/population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_rebellion
Old 08-11-2021, 18:52   #1774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You might be right about that - looking at the raw numbers.

500 vocal ratbags with a population of about 160,000 - about 0.3%. Meaning 99.7% didn't turn up.

Moving to other epicentre of dissent - Melbourne, the ratbags were about only about 0.06%of the population. Conversely 99.94% of Melbourne stayed at home.

So yeah, five times more likely to stumble across a ratbag in Darwin compared to Melbourne.
I do not know how Australian you are, but you should be aware that a rat is an iconic and sacred word in Australia. The Rats of Tobruk made Australia famous and proud.
So all that gibberish about rats in this thread could be offensive to some Australians.

I guess protesters in Darwin may be delighted to gain this title so easily.

I can understand people expressing bitterness because they did not know better than to be vaccinated with a useless vaccine.
Old 08-11-2021, 18:58   #1775

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronkrak View Post
From your first link
'Population characteristics
The NT’s population of 247,023 persons accounts for about 1% of the Australian population, with the majority (60%) residing in the greater Darwin area, and the remainder dispersed over remote and very remote areas'

That gives us 148,200 in Greater Darwin.
Old 08-11-2021, 19:54   #1776

Quote:
500 vocal ratbags with a population of about 160,000 - about 0.3%. Meaning 99.7% didn't turn up.
Then allow for the CHO directions.

Your try to minimize the protest is fruitless.
It was a serious protest.
Old 08-11-2021, 20:31   #1777

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Then allow for the CHO directions.

Your try to minimize the protest is fruitless.
It was a serious protest.
The serious nature of the protest does not in any way defend the position of the protestors. An angry mob does not reflect a thoughtful reaction to any situation, and in a time of serious pandemic adds to the overall stress on society.

I dunno if ratbag is a suitable title nor do I care. I do care about their impact on society as a whole, and that impact is not a good one. Does not take a philosopher or a social scientist to reach that conclusion, either!

Jim
Old 08-11-2021, 21:18   #1778

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
ONLY five?
There are no ratbags in Darwin, slightly eccentric perhaps.

It was the only place I had ever been where ques formed outside the pubs in the morning waiting for them to open.
Old 08-11-2021, 21:25   #1779

Quote:
I do not know how Australian you are, but you should be aware that a rat is an iconic and sacred word in Australia. The Rats of Tobruk made Australia famous and proud.
So all that gibberish about rats in this thread could be offensive to some Australians.

I guess protesters in Darwin may be delighted to gain this title so easily.

I can understand people expressing bitterness because they did not know better than to be vaccinated with a useless vaccine.
'Iconic and sacred word' - get a grip.

To form any sort of connection between 'ratbags' and 'Rats of Tobruk' would be akin to linking the 'Village Fair' to the 'Village Idiot'.... speaking of which I think there is a village somewhere that is missing theirs.
Old 08-11-2021, 22:48   #1780

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
There are no ratbags in Darwin, slightly eccentric perhaps.

It was the only place I had ever been where ques formed outside the pubs in the morning waiting for them to open.
Actually, I cooked at a pub like that in Melbourne in my uni days.

Legend was they opened half an hour late one day and the first customer through the door punched the barman for opening late.

Seems unlikely, the customers were usually too pissed by that time of morning to have that much coordination.

The kitchen made Death in Brunswick look pristine.
Old 09-11-2021, 00:48   #1781

Quote:

Legend was they opened half an hour late one day and the first customer through the door punched the barman for opening late.

Seems unlikely, the customers were usually too pissed by that time of morning to have that much coordination.

Shudda gone to the 'Watersiders' which was and most likely still is an 'early opener'. Corner of King and Flinders, handy for Little Dock back in the old fashioned times. Opened at 0600 for the wharfies coming off shift.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:10   #1782

Quote:
I do not know how Australian you are, ........
You are right again but that isn't any criticism, how could you possibly know. However given what I am about to write below, I should enlighten you.
So I am a born and breed Banana Bender. Worked in every QLD locality from Coolangatta to the Torres Strait and west to the Isa and Charleville. Lived and worked in the Top End (NT), the Kimberly (WA), the Pilbara (WA), the Burrup (WA), the Gascoyne (WA), Perth (WA) and southern Tasmania.

As for family, 5th generation Australian born with my earliest documented antecedent born in Sydney Town on 5 September 1795; before that is unknown. The majority of the intervening relatives are Australian born and have had a wide spectrum of occupations from convicts to magistrates and publicans to politicians to say nothing of the squatters and stockmen. So too right I'm true blue.

Quote:
.......but you should be aware that a rat is an iconic and sacred word in Australia.......
Codswallop balderdash and bulldust. Just the opposite really, ever heard of "can't give a rats" or "more front than a rat with gold teeth" but it doesn't matter in this instance as I have NEVER used the word 'rat' in this thread; nope, not once, not ever. I used the word 'ratbag' several times because I meant to use the 'ratbag'; if I wanted to use any other word, I would have but I didn't so you can be sure I intended to use 'ratbag'.

Ratbag is a another kettle of fish but (apparently) you are unaware of it's Aussie usage.

Here are some examples

chiefly Australian: a stupid, eccentric, or disagreeable person

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ratbag

Ratbag is also Aussie slang for Trouble maker or someone causing havok - When the word Ratbag is used its used in a non offence way.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ratbag

mild insult
and
An uninhibited person who does unconventional things, often recklessly and amusingly
https://outbackdictionary.com/ratbag/

A far better understanding of "ratbag" can be found in this article "Death of the Ratbag" from SMH in 2005. https://www.smh.com.au/national/deat...23-gdl6mf.html

Somes quotes "The word "ratbag" itself has gone through several changes. Once a pejorative term for rogue or rascal, some think it derives from the obsolete expression to "get a rat", meaning to have a wild idea. Just as the word "larrikin" journeyed from being a lout who deserved stringing up to an affectionate name for Bob Hawke, over the years ratbag too has morphed into a term of endearment, shorthand for those who challenge conformity."

and

"In his foreward to Dunstan's book, Humphries offers several definitions for a ratbag. Some have dated; others, like "when the garbage man says Merry Christmas and holds out his hand, a ratbag shakes it", have the ring of eternal truth."

finally

"The Sydney writer Pat Sheil has a nice line for what makes a ratbag: "A ratbag is a person who makes trouble without hurting anyone."

Quote:
.......The Rats of Tobruk made Australia famous and proud......
These diggers are worthy of further comment. For foreign readers, I can do no better than to quote directly from https://ratsoftobrukassociation.org....hy-the-name-2/

"A former British citizen William Joyce, better known as Lord Haw-Haw, was a notorious broadcaster of Nazi propaganda to the UK during World War II. His announcement ‘Germany calling, Germany calling’ was a familiar sound across the airwaves, introducing threats and misinformation which he broadcast from his Hamburg base.

During broadcast about the Tobruk siege, Joyce scoffed that the men defending the garrison were ‘caught like rats in a trap’ and often referred to them as poor desert rats of Tobruk, who live like rats and will die like rats. The Australian soldiers loved the term ‘Rats of Tobruk’ and defiantly adopted the term as a badge of honour. Calling themselves the ‘Rats of Tobruk’, they turned the derogatory comments back against the Germans. They were very proud of their new name.

William Joyce was eventually captured and returned to Britain, where he was later hanged for treason in January 1946."

Quote:
I'll prolly be sorry for asking but what evidence do you have that any Covid vaccine is useless?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 09-11-2021, 01:39   #1783

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:

There was one in Newcastle a couple of blocks from the State Dockyard which had a 24 hour licence so that the afternoon and graveyard (Midnight to 8 am) shifts could have a beer after work. As an oil driller I ran with a pretty hard drinking bunch but it was still a bit affronting to see drunks reeling out the door of a pub at 7 am in the morning.

"Ratbag" is a term unique to the Australian vernacular and it's use should be protected by law (The moderators are not too keen on it however)
Old 09-11-2021, 03:38   #1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

"Ratbag" is a term unique to the Australian vernacular and it's use should be protected by law (The moderators are not too keen on it however)
Bewdy cobber, a bonanza idea, I'm on board.

A fair dinkum Aussie style of appellation of origin
Old 09-11-2021, 05:28   #1785

Quote:

So too right I'm true blue.
You think.

Quote:
.. in a non offence way…
Yes in a non-offence way.

Quote:
I'll prolly be sorry for asking but what evidence do you have that any Covid vaccine is useless?
You may have to reread the thread.

Tags
Australia