Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2021, 23:07   #1846
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Whilst reading the article,

"But there is also the risk that sometimes, in the attempt to find balance, we elevate nonsense to an equal footing with science, or basic reasoning."

and thinking "how apropros to other aspects of 'modern' life, like climate change", the next sentence reared it's logical head

"The climate change debate is a sad example of the consequence of the artificial invention of balance, which is a debating approach or process that treats ideas or information as equal even when tangibly the information should not be treated as such."

The effects of such foolish ignorance are ubiquitous in the 'advanced' world, are a product of a useless, myopic affluence, and allowing those that propogate it to continue to do so is an expensive indulgence that should not be tolerated.

I thought similar when I was reading it and thought ‘oh she went there, good on her’. I like Nyadol; she’s very intelligent, considered and grounded.

It’s 100% true but as we’ve seen it’s very hard to convince the hugely overconfident that their basic, uninformed reasoning is in any way on the same level as an entire field of science.
Old 16-11-2021, 01:49   #1847

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I think the Libs have just shot themselves in the foot re winning the next Victorian state election.
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...16-p599ey.html

And - for them querying the use of the 'ratbag' word- this is from that piece-
'But one Liberal MP, who spoke anonymously to reflect frankly on their colleagues, said opposition MPs had the potential to harm the perception of the Coalition among mainstream voters by associating with fringe groups.

“Some MPs appear to be playing footsie with some of the ratbags at these protests, but that is massively exposing the Liberals’ reputation and credibility,” the MP said.

Mr Andrews, whose effigy was being placed near the makeshift gallows on Monday night, accused the opposition of “cuddling up” to far-right anti-vaxxers in a heated parliamentary debate over the pandemic legislation.'

As stated in 'Crikey' this AM.
Among those protesting were an unsavoury mix of neo-Nazis and conspiracy grifters. Crossbench MPs responsible for the bill’s fate have received threats and intimidation.'
Old 16-11-2021, 01:52   #1848
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I think the Libs have just shot themselves in the foot re winning the next Victorian state election.
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...16-p599ey.html

And - for them querying the use of the 'ratbag' word- this is from that piece-
'But one Liberal MP, who spoke anonymously to reflect frankly on their colleagues, said opposition MPs had the potential to harm the perception of the Coalition among mainstream voters by associating with fringe groups.

“Some MPs appear to be playing footsie with some of the ratbags at these protests, but that is massively exposing the Liberals’ reputation and credibility,” the MP said.

Mr Andrews, whose effigy was being placed near the makeshift gallows on Monday night, accused the opposition of “cuddling up” to far-right anti-vaxxers in a heated parliamentary debate over the pandemic legislation.'

As stated in 'Crikey' this AM.
Among those protesting were an unsavoury mix of neo-Nazis and conspiracy grifters. Crossbench MPs responsible for the bill’s fate have received threats and intimidation.'

Dan Andrews approval rating there is pretty impressive, despite the noisy mob, so the Libs were already on the nose and especially after Dim Tim’s car accident recently. Now they’ve just ensured Vic will go the way of WA at the next election and they’ll be lucky to hold on to many seats at all. And good. There’s no place for this kind of right wing extremism and the sooner it’s stamped on the better
Old 17-11-2021, 11:52   #1849

This is why they put people who mess with border restrictions in the slammer.
There were lots of health issues in aboriginal communities in WA and the NT before covid turned up.
Interesting point made in another article. While many aren't willing to get vaccinated when there is no infection in the district once it turns up hesitancy promptly drops to about 7%.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/c...17-p599t2.html

'Genome sequencing expected by Thursday morning would determine if the outbreak was linked to “cluster one”, which emerged in Katherine this month courtesy of a Cairns woman who lied to Territory authorities on her border entry forms.'
Old 17-11-2021, 12:26   #1850

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Dan Andrews approval rating there is pretty impressive, despite the noisy mob, so the Libs were already on the nose and especially after Dim Tim’s car accident recently. Now they’ve just ensured Vic will go the way of WA at the next election and they’ll be lucky to hold on to many seats at all. And good. There’s no place for this kind of right wing extremism and the sooner it’s stamped on the better
(1) The pendulum swings and often a large excursion on one side is followed by an equal excursion on the other. The moral - be restrained in your gloating.

(2) The demons all populate the other side. Typical tribal response generally motivated by a very narrow outlook. There are tribal truths and universal truths and those of us who have a breadth of mind and seek universal truths generally realize that the demons are never all on one side.

(3) Those who blindly follow leaders often end up in hell with them. If I was Dangerous Dan and really believed that 70,000 people went out onto the streets and started baying for my blood I'd pack up and flee immediately and not just to another suburb but to the other hemisphere. He's lying again.

(4) Looking at world history in the modern era your left wing revolutionary is responsible for far more deaths than the odd right wing reactionary and left or right the extremest always mistake the edge of the cliff they are about to fall off for the middle ground.
Old 17-11-2021, 13:28   #1851

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
(......
(3) Those who blindly follow leaders often end up in hell with them. If I was Dangerous Dan and really believed that 70,000 people went out onto the streets and started baying for my blood I'd pack up and flee immediately and not just to another suburb but to the other hemisphere. He's lying again.
Where did you get 70,000 from?

The current rabble can barely fill half of the steps of parliament house.

They seem to consist of true extremist nasty barstewards, a few who seem a little weak in the head and a dozen or so homeless people. They would have to be homeless to have spent the night outside over the last week.

More on the extremist element here
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...17-p599qx.html

The opposition members mingling with that crowd will see them staying in opposition a bit longer methinks.
Old 17-11-2021, 14:10   #1852

The photo in this article will give you an idea of the size of the mob.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...17-p599lt.html
The article itself is worth reading
Old 17-11-2021, 17:10   #1853
cruiser

Quote:
(1) The pendulum swings and often a large excursion on one side is followed by an equal excursion on the other. The moral - be restrained in your gloating.
Stating facts isn’t gloating

Quote:
(2) The demons all populate the other side. Typical tribal response generally motivated by a very narrow outlook. There are tribal truths and universal truths and those of us who have a breadth of mind and seek universal truths generally realize that the demons are never all on one side.
Umm, ok. Cool story.

Quote:
Now you’re just making stuff up. Blindly is your incorrect reference and 70,000? Nah… got a link for that?

Quote:
(4) Looking at world history in the modern era your left wing revolutionary is responsible for far more deaths than the odd right wing reactionary and left or right the extremest always mistake the edge of the cliff they are about to fall off for the middle ground.

None of that is true and it’s a rather silly attempt at claiming some kind of high ground

Let’s just stick to what’s actually happening without this grandiose pontificating
Old 17-11-2021, 17:17   #1854
cruiser

Something I want to add.. if you’re taking sides and you look around you and see white supremacists, neo-nazis, qanon and other right wing extremist groups on your side you really should sit down and have a long hard think about why that is and what your priorities are.
Old 17-11-2021, 17:49   #1855

Quote:
Interesting article from a lawyer and human rights advocate in Australia re: anti-vaxxers

https://www.smh.com.au/national/anti...13-p58zix.html

Very good, thx.

"If those who are against vaccine want to be believed as freedom fighters of an oppressive regime equal to apartheid, then they have misjudged the costs of freedom fighting if their complaints are not being able to visit their favourite hair salon or cafe."

Ain't that the truth.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 17-11-2021, 18:05   #1856

Boat: Island Packet 40

Be mindful that to the extreme left everyone else on the political spectrum is "right wing".
Old 17-11-2021, 18:11   #1857

Quote:
Be mindful that to the extreme left everyone else on the political spectrum is "right wing".
And Andrew Peacock married a republican from Texas who is on the record as saying he was the most left wing person she ever knew.
Old 17-11-2021, 18:24   #1858
cruiser

The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:

Only to people who don’t understand that it’s policy, beliefs that make people right and left. Most right wingers on social media believe they’re centrist or centre-right, for example yet they support right wing and far right policy

You should do this test and copy and paste your results in and you’ll see what I mean [emoji6]

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

If that’s your attempt at muddying the waters on whether neo-nazis, white supremacists and q freaks are right wing extremists it’s a hard fail. It’s this kind of extremism that is concerning terror police; not people who want a better life and environment for everyone [emoji23]
Old 17-11-2021, 22:36   #1859

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

You should do this test and copy and paste your results in and you’ll see what I mean [emoji6]

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Every time I do that test I make Bob Brown look like a Queensland farmer.
Old 17-11-2021, 22:57   #1860
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Every time I do that test I make Bob Brown look like a Queensland farmer.

[emoji23][emoji23]

Farmers are an interesting case study. There’s still the National party voting right wingers but increasingly farmers are understanding climate change is real, because it’s affecting their bottom line, and are deserting the conservatives. Quite the dichotomy

Tags
Australia