Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

‘Be a goddamn bloody adult’: Lambie takes on One Nation over vaccine mandates

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...22-p59b0p.html
Old 27-11-2021, 12:49   #2027

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
A friend of mine and his father who came down to WA from NT were stopped covid tested and told to self isolate until the results were in - 5-6 days!!!!

They stuck the swab so far up his fathers nose that it caused a very large nose bleed!

Both of them have had BOTH vaccination shots and when they told them this they were told that you can still catch and spread Covid even if vaccinated and that they still must isolate until the results come in.

What sort of Mickey Mouse world (sorry Country) do we live in where HEALTHY (Vaccinated) People are locked up?

As for 5-6 days to get the results back, well that is truly taking the pi$$.

Vive la Révolution
Being careful is the best proactive treatment there is.
You say Locked up as if they were in a cell somewhere.
Unless they actually are: the treatment you've gotten is pretty standard for the cause.

With new variants popping up all over it seems.
Better vaxxed, than not, and we All should adhere to protections and protocols for virus control.

Healthy doesn't mean you know who you have been in contact with that is Positive, so that's why they test, but you already knew that.
Common sense isn't always comfortable.

Stick in there and respect to your family and friends for their help in this.
Boatyarddog
Old 27-11-2021, 13:10   #2028

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
What, are they going to tattoo a sign on our foreheads??
Sign of the RAT!
But on your bottom, cause the Antivaxxers, like to show off their "Colors", to the compliant, non revolutionarys.

Revolution is right, in it's proper place. A World Wide Epidemic isn't that place!

Like it's been said "consequences" for the self proclaimed know it all, in the World.
Only fair to everyone else.
Boatyarddog
Old 27-11-2021, 13:30   #2029

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yeah, the tin foil is too thin and makes crappy hats.
Actually, I don't believe Reynold's Wrap is available in Oz. It is thicker guage aluminum foil. Their BBQ weight is imho preferable to any manufactured here. Just one of the many differences from the US.

On another note, having looked at the urban dictionary's definition of "rat licker", I think it is an expression I'd rather not use.

One is frustrated by dissemination of misinformation, sure, but don't really need to descend to name calling. Plus, of course, it's against the rules here.

Ann
Old 27-11-2021, 14:03   #2030

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
I'd like to see that research - Can I have the link.

Also How the hell do people know if you've had the vax or not if its not being asked for by the business owner? Sounds like more propaganda to me.
Some people do take things ever so literally. Sensible vaccinated people avoid premises run by nutters.

Research?
Both my own and with some input from Professer Henry Brubaker from the Institute of Studies.

I see the ratbag antivaxxers are now trying to screw with the health of the indigenous population of the Northern Territory. The Chief Minister up their has them pegged.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...eech/100650132
Old 27-11-2021, 17:11   #2031

Boat: Other peoples

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Many people have gotten used to living in their own closed border bubbles to the point they are apprehensive of interstaters arriving or venturing outside (their own state) themselves, some even think having travelling freedoms removed has been great.

Personally, while I understand and agree with most of the restrictions and the reasons for them over the pandemic, the restrictions on freely travelling within my own country are starting to wear thin, the day that I can again freely travel anywhere within Australia when I want to, and without question, cannot come soon enough.

I would not describe anything about the last two years as “awesome” ….
See I haven't found that i'm not free to move about my own country. Tasmania has been largely Covid free this whole time so we have been free to travel anywhere in Australia.
I think if you lived here you might change your mind. Id wager if the state had a vote on opening our borders or not it would be a resounding not. Seeing people wearing masks on the TV is bad enough. I do understand that the people of Melbourne and Sydney may have a different opinion but their life for the last 2 years hasn't been ours. Covid has had little effect here apart from tourist numbers are down which most Tasmanians seem to find refreshing. Tourism $ do flow into my household so that's been missed but not horribly so.
Old 27-11-2021, 18:09   #2032
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Some people do take things ever so literally. Sensible vaccinated people avoid premises run by nutters.

Research?
Both my own and with some input from Professer Henry Brubaker from the Institute of Studies.

I see the ratbag antivaxxers are now trying to screw with the health of the indigenous population of the Northern Territory. The Chief Minister up their has them pegged.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...eech/100650132

Why is someone a nutter that wants to protect our freedoms and the freedoms of future generations? You guys are all happy to throw abuse at your fellow neighbours - I suppose that's the easy option for something you do not comprehend.

If you can not see that this has far greater consequences than simply segregating for the sake of the virus then you truly are not looking at the bigger long term picture. Especially as the Vax allows you to still get the virus, still pass it on and still die, albeit in lower amounts for the first several months after 2 jabs.

This is 100% a social credit system - Don't get vaxxed lose privileges - The digital ID its connected to is the start of it all, other things will be added down the line to remove your freedoms if you do not comply. That is not a free or open society, but more akin to China. If you want that type of control then maybe Y'all should move there.

Perhaps you should also look at some group psychology 101 ......

Large groups and populations are easier to control if you give them 2 things: something to fear and a solution to protect them from it. With those 2 things, people are willing to turn over control of much of their lives to a Government or other system of control.

If you look back in history maybe some of that will strike a chord with you?

Unfortunately those that have been blindsided by such psychological processes have great difficulty in seeing through the brainwashing and simply cannot see the woods for the trees.

This is not about the Vax its about Segregation, discrimination and the loss of freedoms for future generations.

But hay, you all will just bury your heads throw some abuse and put out random conspiracy theory comments to make yourselves feel better about not opening your eyes and shaking off the Psych job done on you and your now limited understanding of the world around you. So those who reply with the normal rubbish, don't bother - We've heard it all before and it really does make you look foolish and childish.
Old 27-11-2021, 22:06   #2033

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Actually, I don't believe Reynold's Wrap is available in Oz. It is thicker guage aluminum foil. Their BBQ weight is imho preferable to any manufactured here. Just one of the many differences from the US.

On another note, having looked at the urban dictionary's definition of "rat licker", I think it is an expression I'd rather not use.

One is frustrated by dissemination of misinformation, sure, but don't really need to descend to name calling. Plus, of course, it's against the rules here.

Ann

Ann, I didn’t use the term.
Old 27-11-2021, 22:14   #2034

Quote:
Why is someone a nutter that wants to protect our freedoms and the freedoms of future generations? You guys are all happy to throw abuse at your fellow neighbours - I suppose that's the easy option for something you do not comprehend.

If you can not see that this has far greater consequences than simply segregating for the sake of the virus then you truly are not looking at the bigger long term picture. Especially as the Vax allows you to still get the virus, still pass it on and still die, albeit in lower amounts for the first several months after 2 jabs.

This is 100% a social credit system - Don't get vaxxed lose privileges - The digital ID its connected to is the start of it all, other things will be added down the line to remove your freedoms if you do not comply. That is not a free or open society, but more akin to China. If you want that type of control then maybe Y'all should move there.

Perhaps you should also look at some group psychology 101 ......

Large groups and populations are easier to control if you give them 2 things: something to fear and a solution to protect them from it. With those 2 things, people are willing to turn over control of much of their lives to a Government or other system of control.

If you look back in history maybe some of that will strike a chord with you?

Unfortunately those that have been blindsided by such psychological processes have great difficulty in seeing through the brainwashing and simply cannot see the woods for the trees.

This is not about the Vax its about Segregation, discrimination and the loss of freedoms for future generations.

But hay, you all will just bury your heads throw some abuse and put out random conspiracy theory comments to make yourselves feel better about not opening your eyes and shaking off the Psych job done on you and your now limited understanding of the world around you. So those who reply with the normal rubbish, don't bother - We've heard it all before and it really does make you look foolish and childish.

All good points and well argued.

But at the end of the day watching people suffocate to death on mass is less appealing to me than sitting around worrying about an assault on my freedoms.

Western democracies have a history of self-healing from over extension of authoritarian regimes. The protests we are seeing now are evidence of that and they serve their purpose over time.

Meanwhile, yes, we needed some freedoms curtailed to force us to do the smart thing.

Nobody is pinning us down and jabbing us in the arm. Sure, in some professions we are forced to chose between having the vaccine or leaving our profession, but honestly, that’s a pretty small infringement on our liberties.

As for the rest of it, when some religious nutters tell me that there’s no evidence the vaccines work I am so gobsmacked at the irony I don’t know where to start.
Old 27-11-2021, 22:29   #2035

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

Bollocks.
I have little time for Lambie but I have zero from the fish and chip ***** from Ipswich

Old 28-11-2021, 02:14   #2036
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Bollocks.
I have little time for Lambie but I have zero from the fish and chip ***** from Ipswich

Here's one for just for you - Anagram of Omicron
Old 28-11-2021, 02:35   #2037
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
All good points and well argued.

But at the end of the day watching people suffocate to death on mass is less appealing to me than sitting around worrying about an assault on my freedoms.

Western democracies have a history of self-healing from over extension of authoritarian regimes. The protests we are seeing now are evidence of that and they serve their purpose over time.

Meanwhile, yes, we needed some freedoms curtailed to force us to do the smart thing.

Nobody is pinning us down and jabbing us in the arm. Sure, in some professions we are forced to chose between having the vaccine or leaving our profession, but honestly, that’s a pretty small infringement on our liberties.

As for the rest of it, when some religious nutters tell me that there’s no evidence the vaccines work I am so gobsmacked at the irony I don’t know where to start.

How many people do you actually know that have suffocated of Covid or I should say within 28 days of a positive test for covid?

I have a large family and friends network in the UK and the USA and even on the friend of friend who knows about someone I know one person. I do know with the same scenario probably hundreds of people that have had it and are fine.

On the other side I personally know because of the lockdowns of 5 business that have gone under, with one owner committing suicide and another dying of an accidental drugs overdose when they got into drugs after losing their job. In this time frame I also know of 3 people that have died of other natural causes. So the term on-masse does not gel with me and in relation to the normal annual death rate its a drop in the ocean - That's not saying anything but my personal experience of the pandemic.

So you are asking for your freedoms to be curtailed??? Not a good idea in my personal opinion - Freedoms taken are rarely given back.

Actually people are basically being forced into taking the jab - How many, especially young people can afford to lose their jobs? I know of quite a few people who did not want the vax, but had/will have it as they could not pay their rent or buy food if they did/do not - If that is not Forcing (pinning down) then maybe you need to re-define your idea of the word in the context of what is happening.

I keep getting told by people that have had the jab and the media, that it works and that you are basically saved from hospitilisation and death, so what is the real reason for wanting and FORCING those who do not want to have it to take it - Especially those who are at infinitesimal risk from it.

Lets hope you are correct about the self healing of authoritarian governments, but by the sounds of it WA is too far gone from what I am hearing and QLD are trying, but there is resistance - The rest of Aus is on the downward spiral as well - Only time will tell.
Old 28-11-2021, 03:02   #2038

Quote:
Here's one for just for you - Anagram of Omicron

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
Old 28-11-2021, 03:47   #2039
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Seems the WHO has a sense of humour.. albeit macabre..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 28-11-2021, 10:22   #2040

Quote:
How many people do you actually know that have suffocated of Covid or I should say within 28 days of a positive test for covid?

I have a large family and friends network in the UK and the USA and even on the friend of friend who knows about someone I know one person. I do know with the same scenario probably hundreds of people that have had it and are fine.

On the other side I personally know because of the lockdowns of 5 business that have gone under, with one owner committing suicide and another dying of an accidental drugs overdose when they got into drugs after losing their job. In this time frame I also know of 3 people that have died of other natural causes. So the term on-masse does not gel with me and in relation to the normal annual death rate its a drop in the ocean - That's not saying anything but my personal experience of the pandemic.

So you are asking for your freedoms to be curtailed??? Not a good idea in my personal opinion - Freedoms taken are rarely given back.

Actually people are basically being forced into taking the jab - How many, especially young people can afford to lose their jobs? I know of quite a few people who did not want the vax, but had/will have it as they could not pay their rent or buy food if they did/do not - If that is not Forcing (pinning down) then maybe you need to re-define your idea of the word in the context of what is happening.

I keep getting told by people that have had the jab and the media, that it works and that you are basically saved from hospitilisation and death, so what is the real reason for wanting and FORCING those who do not want to have it to take it - Especially those who are at infinitesimal risk from it.

Lets hope you are correct about the self healing of authoritarian governments, but by the sounds of it WA is too far gone from what I am hearing and QLD are trying, but there is resistance - The rest of Aus is on the downward spiral as well - Only time will tell.

Ok, it is clear you think the whole thing is a beat up. That’s fine.

I believe it is real.

Nope, I do not know anyone who has died of the disease or even anyone who has lost a loved one to it.

Of course I believe that’s because I live in Australia which has managed the disease extremely well, in part because as a nation island we could keep it at bay just long enough to get hold of an effective vaccine (effective at minimising the symptoms, not particularly effective at reducing the spread) and in part because we locked down our cities to reduce the spread.

I look at the millions of deaths on the news and believe the news. You may think me a fool for believing it, but I’m not all that impressed by people who believe some guy died and got back up after a few days and thus told us all how to live our lives. We all choose our beliefs.

In this country we have a pretty decent social safety net that helps if, through your own choice, you cannot work because you choose not to get vaccinated. To some people that looks a lot like the dreaded “socialism” that they’ve been taught to fear (oddly the same lot seem mostly to subscribe to whole dead guy’s rules stuff).

I feel for those that lost businesses, I really do. And I’ve seen the effect of lockdowns on my family in Melbourne and it’s not pretty.

But, as per your question, everyone I know is still alive and my belief is that, had we all believed this virus was a hoax or a beat up and done nothing at all, a very good number would be dead.

Tags
Australia