Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2021, 19:56   #2071

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1 View Post
If we don't its no skin off our nose. We get to keep living a non Covid life. As i said earlier if they held a state referendum to open or not I think Not would win by a large margin. Just seeing mainlanders in NSW and Vic living in masks makes me a little worried in opening up to NSW and VIC.
As a Victorian I'm not sure why you care what little tassie does.
Very good friends from Melbourne keep their boat in Hobart. Their sailing life has been severely impacted by assorted restrictions over the last two years.
So I am probably more aware of Tassie's rules than I am of other lesser states such as NT or SA.
Old 30-11-2021, 20:00   #2072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Our World in Data does suggest that Aus has a fairly high vaccination rate, exceeded by (among others): Singapore, Chile, Republican Korea, Brunei, Japan, Malaysia, and China.
A good uptake once we had the vaccines. Are they going to pin the initial failure on Hunt as well?

Looks like Scumbo is cleaning out his shed ready for the election.
Old 30-11-2021, 20:40   #2073

Boat: Other peoples

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Very good friends from Melbourne keep their boat in Hobart. Their sailing life has been severely impacted by assorted restrictions over the last two years.
So I am probably more aware of Tassie's rules than I am of other lesser states such as NT or SA.
Do you recall very early on when Gutwein literally kicked all the tourists in Tassie out? That was gold and told all of Australia that the draw bridge was up and that the wellbeing of Tasmanians were first and foremost in his thinking, as an ex treasurer that had only just become Premier that was reassuring.
Old 30-11-2021, 20:46   #2074

Quote:
Do you recall very early on when Gutwein literally kicked all the tourists in Tassie out? That was gold and told all of Australia that the draw bridge was up and that the wellbeing of Tasmanians were first and foremost in his thinking, as an ex treasurer that had only just become Premier that was reassuring.
I guess he must have missed Jim and Ann.
Old 30-11-2021, 21:22   #2075

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

He let me in, but they were desperate for teachers.
Old 30-11-2021, 21:24   #2076

Quote:
Haha!. But do you remember that? Campervans and caravans were parked up and waiting for their turn on the Spirit. Some had arrived on the Spirit that morning against the wishes of the State Gov and were told to leave ASAP. Slo Mo must of had a fit when he heard..haha
Old 30-11-2021, 21:39   #2077

https://indaily.com.au/news/national...us-toll-lifts/

"Tasmania has ordered all visitors to leave the island state by midnight Sunday"
Old 30-11-2021, 21:46   #2078

Quote:
Haha!. But do you remember that? Campervans and caravans were parked up and waiting for their turn on the Spirit. Some had arrived on the Spirit that morning against the wishes of the State Gov and were told to leave ASAP. Slo Mo must of had a fit when he heard..haha
The very fact that you (and others) think that having families and friends separated is in anyway a joke leads me to question your thought process, there is something not right with someone who thinks the issue that we find ourselves in is funny and awesome....!

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
Old 30-11-2021, 22:26   #2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
The very fact that you (and others) think that having families and friends separated is in anyway a joke leads me to question your thought process, there is something not right with someone who thinks the issue that we find ourselves in is funny and awesome....!
I didn't say that having friends and family not being able to see each other is funny. And i dare say that if they are living in different states then they chose to live separately before Covid. I have a parent and two sisters on the mainland as well as a pleather of family and friends- (Some i've seen over Covid..). I also did not say that being apart is awesome.
I did say that the last two years has been awesome, and for me and my family it has been. My business had the best turnover ever, as did a lot of friends business's (some in NSW..). Has been way less traffic on our islands roads and thats been awesome for work and parking around town, as a motorcycle rider the roads have been fast and clear rather than fast and blocked by a caravan or 4. Ride days have been happening at the tracks. Been some incredible deals for traveling within the state without the huge crowds. Been lots of awesome for me over Covid. I even enjoyed the 3 week lock down we had and got a heap done around the property. My wife and daughter helped with the Deep clean at the two hospitals we shut and made some friends for life. Its also been the catalyst for me learning to sail. States unemployment is low, lot of apprentice positions and a booming building trade. Life's been close to normal thru this whole pandemic
Guess your glass is 1/2 empty.
I get that people in some LGA's Sydney and particularly Melbourne may have had a different 2 years. I've lived in both.
Old 30-11-2021, 23:51   #2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1;3529906.
Its also been the catalyst for me learning to sail.

Guess your glass is 1/2 empty.
I get that people in some LGA's Sydney and particularly Melbourne may have had a different 2 years. I've lived in both.
Of all the hundreds of posters and posts on this thread none have been as insensative as yours. I can understand people that have anxiety over both covid and vaccines but you lack of sympathy and low eq is quite unbelievable. I hope you get some help in learning how to care about other people. #notwelcometosailwithme #youhavenoidea
Old 30-11-2021, 23:55   #2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanngrisnir View Post
Of all the hundreds of posters and posts on this thread none have been as insensative as yours. I can understand people that have anxiety over both covid and vaccines but you lack of sympathy and low eq is quite unbelievable. I hope you get some help in learning how to care about other people. #notwelcometosailwithme #youhavenoidea
What's an eq?

I'm sorry my post and my personal experiences the last 2 years upsets you.
Old 01-12-2021, 00:32   #2082

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
What's an eq?

Just a wild assed guess, WAG, I would say he meant IQ.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 01-12-2021, 01:11   #2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Just a wild assed guess, WAG, I would say he meant IQ.
I'm not very good at spelling or math, he could of been a sound guy.

I'm not trying to offend anyone and i'm sorry if i have. But if you know anyone living in Tassie, ask them how their life's been the last 2 years and most don't have covid as a first thought, we still shake hands, hug and kiss. We are islanders.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:47   #2084

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
What's an eq?

EQ = emotional intelligence
Old 01-12-2021, 12:42   #2085

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

I have seen two sides to the border closures. There’s no doubt there was a bit of a positive vibe about the closure from many Tasmanians while I was down there. Comments about Tasmania getting back to its roots, the joy of not wading through a sea of tourists to do the daily tasks. However, I also met families who’d been hit by the lost tourist dollar and were doing it hard.

Meanwhile, my Melbourne family were telling me they were fine and were enjoying getting back to home basics, but what I saw when I finally got to Melbourne last week was a bunch of brittle and emotionally wrung out stress cases. Many burst into tears as I went about attending to two years of help around the home they’d been without. I’m going back with a full complement of tools and a trailer to spend three weeks with them over Christmas and for the first time in this pandemic I am fully aware of what the border closures have ment for some.

Tags
Australia