Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2021, 13:15   #2101

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
That you have to use co-opted buzz-words like 'proper-research', 'vested-interests', 'MSM' and 'propaganda' in a failed attempt to defend an indefensible position only reveals how far you've been taken in by charlatans like Gundry.

Combined with the apparent lack of understanding of basic scientific precepts like 'correlation isn't causation', the use of personal anecdotal evidence in an attempt to --- what exactly is it you're trying to do? --- isn't providing misleading, untruthful informatino against the rules here?

Oh and let's not forget the clueless arrogance displayed by those that seem to think that their 'intelligence' and 'perceptiveness' so far exceeds that of everyone else (that is, unless they agree with them).

Here's a clue. Some mainstream media sources oftentimes have good, easily verifiable information. Some individuals have spent their entire lives learning to differentiate between BS and reality.

I suggest you attempt to model your behavior around those individuals, and leave the snake oil salesman to ply their 'trade' on their own.

It is interesting that you fail to address any of the valid points originally expressed, and instead choose to ignore them completely by dubbing them 'propaganda'. Now what could be the reason for that?

Combined with that failure, and the posting of a dubious link easily verifiable as psuedoscience, and not understanding that correlation does not equal causation, I see no reason at all to believe that your 'friend' has vaccine-caused heart problems.

Though that's not to say that it's out of the question, since in the cursory msm search I did previously the available information indicates that there may be a link between mRNA vaccines and myocarditis/pericarditis, as it is rare but not unknown in other vaccines. For the mRNA vaccines, the incidence seems to be about 25 per million, and the condition seems amenable to standard treatment.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2781600

So a prudent person should recognize that, given the relative risks involved, it makes much more sense to get vaccinated than to not.

Well if that's what it takes to stop this incessant deluge of misinformation...
Please Do Ann!
Agreed totally!

Misinformation is controlled by stepping up, calling it out for what it is, and denying the perpetrators, access.

Now they may scorn, whine, stomp, and say their rights to free press are stepped on.

This is a forum for civil discussion, not grievances, or abusive commentary of anyone, regardless of intellectual input.

In short if you can't agree on something, agree to disagree.
Boatyarddog
Old 02-12-2021, 15:43   #2102

Boat: Outremer 55L

I’m hearing ads on QLD radio about a vaccine mandate coming 17 December. Apparently from that date pretty much everything that isn’t essential to life (grocery stores, chemists and hospitals I suppose) will require a vaccine certificate based on double vaccination. QLD police will enforce the yet to be passed legislation.

It will be interesting to see how that works out. New Zealand has just switched (last night midnight) to their traffic light system, which at its current settings in Auckland requires all open businesses in certain categories (e.g. hospitality) to check all customer’s vaccine passes against a verification app. People have reported to media that they’ve gone into some bars and restaurants (which have been shut for the past 3.5 months) that haven’t checked anything - as a form of civil disobedience, or just inertia? Will the government crack down?

I’ve also heard ads for taxi companies and in-home services like plumbers or electricians that all their staff are fully vaccinated for their customers’ protection and peace of mind. Well, I wonder if all their staff actually are double vaxxed, and if so whether they got consent from each staff person for disclosing their private medical information. I’m fully vaxxed myself, but I don’t care about vaccination status of other people - rather more important I feel is whether a person is tested negative.
Old 02-12-2021, 17:05   #2103

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I’m hearing ads on QLD radio about a vaccine mandate coming 17 December. Apparently from that date pretty much everything that isn’t essential to life (grocery stores, chemists and hospitals I suppose) will require a vaccine certificate based on double vaccination. QLD police will enforce the yet to be passed legislation.
Yair.

In QLD from 17 December 2021, unvaccinated landlubbers AND cruisers will be unable to:

* visit vulnerable settings, including hospitals, residential aged care, disability accommodation services, and prisons. This does not apply to residents and patients of these facilities, and there will be some exceptions for medical treatment, end-of-life visits, childbirth and emergency situations

* attend hospitality venues such as hotels, pubs, clubs, taverns, bars, restaurants or cafes

* attend indoor entertainment venues such as nightclubs, live music venues, karaoke bars, concerts, theatres or cinemas

* attend outdoor entertainment activities such as sporting stadiums, theme parks or tourism experience like reef excursions

* attend festivals – either indoor or outdoor – such as musical festivals, folk festivals or arts festivals

* attend Queensland Government owned galleries, museums or libraries.

HOWEVER, both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated cruisers and landlubbers will be able to access essential services and activities.

* This means unvaccinated people will still be able to go to grocery stores, pharmacies, post offices, newsagents and clothing stores, and participate in activities like going to the gym for exercise.

* Capacity restrictions may still be in place at these types of businesses.

* People will still need to check-in to venues. This is important to support contact tracing if there is a case at a venue. Vaccinated people can still carry the virus, although the risk is reduced.

See: https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...nt-vaccination

The QLD Human Rights Commission has a statement at:

https://www.qhrc.qld.gov.au/your-rig...nd-your-rights

Emphasis added to keep the crazy blow-ins satisfied.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:53   #2104

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So what I’m gathering from this thread, leaving all of the controversy out, is that I’m not likely to be visiting oz anytime in the next year
Old 03-12-2021, 11:29   #2105

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
So what I’m gathering from this thread, leaving all of the controversy out, is that I’m not likely to be visiting oz anytime in the next year
Hard to say, maybe in the second half.
Depends how this omicron thing plays out
Currently we are only letting in Oz Cits and permanent residents plus students and migrants with essential skills coming soon.
'Under new rules introduced by the federal government over the weekend, people arriving in Australia who have been in South Africa, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia, Eswatini or Malawi in the previous fortnight must enter hotel quarantine for 14 days.

NSW requires all other international arrivals to isolate for 72 hours at home. However, passengers on planes (coming from countries ) where cases of Omicron have been detected over the past week have been directed to immediately get retested and self-isolate for longer periods.'

The way omicron is spreading that will be every country on the planet in a few week's time.
That was from here https://www.theage.com.au/national/n...02-p59e97.html

All of Australia's covid news in one place, lookee here
https://www.theage.com.au/coronavirus-pandemic
Old 03-12-2021, 17:06   #2106

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I think that climate stuff is nonsense.
Melbourne is a more attractive city for migrants.
Therefore we have more.
Migrants often live in tri-generational households and tend to work in transport and kindred industries.
New Scientist yesterday carried a story, based on research on multigenerational families in the UK, that strongly supports El Pinguino's idea.

The core lesson seems to be that if you are a cruiser, weekend sailor, or even a landlubber, you would be advised not to live in contact with children. Little blighters spread disease! Who knew?

https://www.newscientist.com/article...c-disparities/
Old 03-12-2021, 17:16   #2107

George Megalogenis ran his eye over the ABStatistics for the past few quarters to answer the burning questions: IF you're a cruiser, a round-the-buoys-on-the-weekend racer, or even a thick-as-a-brick landlubber, and IF you are dependent on the capitalist economy, THEN are you better:

(a) living in a plague state or a Covid-zero state encircled by a ring of steel?

(b) being a bloke or a sheila? (and since it's apparently no longer a binary society, that might be a choice and no longer a fixed thing)

(c) living in QLD or Tas?

George threw in comparisons with recessions from decades past (1970s, 1980s, 1990s) as a dose of reality.
Old 03-12-2021, 18:09   #2108
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
If you are planning to sail to Oz then you need to remember that things change quickly. A day is a long time in the new covid reality.

There is also a tri-annual one day event occurring downunder sometime between March and May next year (date not set yet) but the rules for incoming cruisers (and fly-ins) are very likely to be altered in the lead up to the big compulsory sausage sizzle.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 03-12-2021, 19:42   #2109

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
If you are planning to sail to Oz then you need to remember that things change quickly. A day is a long time in the new covid reality.

There is also a tri-annual one day event occurring downunder sometime between March and May next year (date not set yet) but the rules for incoming cruisers (and fly-ins) are very likely to be altered in the lead up to the big compulsory sausage sizzle.

They sure do change fast. The rules changed while my son was on the plane from Canberra to Adelaide. Boy oh boy was he a salty little bugger when he got to Adelaide airport.

It was no great drama, just another Covid test thanks to his change of category.

Don’t remember teaching him all those swear words though, seems the military life has expanded his vocabulary.
Old 03-12-2021, 20:42   #2110

That was a pre-emptive strike by SA - shutting us out before we had a chance to lock you lot in.
Old 03-12-2021, 21:49   #2111

Quote:
That was a pre-emptive strike by SA - shutting us out before we had a chance to lock you lot in.

I reckon a few more days of my son swearing and they’ll figure out a way of tossing him out.
Old 17-12-2021, 01:27   #2112

Meanwhile - back up the bush.
All state borders except the hermit knigdom are open and life just rolls along.

maybe 'go hard go early' was a good strategy - our pubs aren't shut like they are under the current Norwegian lockdown.

The loonies and ratbags?
Mustered 4000 in Melbourne last week - they are running out of puff.

But they did manage a showing down the road from mi casa today
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...17-p59idz.html

States here have stuffed up some stuff but handled most issues rather well.
I would rather have spent the last two years here than most other places.
Old 17-12-2021, 02:11   #2113

The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:

The loonies and ratbags?
Mustered 4000 in Melbourne last week - they are running out of puff.

Just came back from Bunnies in Coburg.

30% wearing a mask, and of those, only one third wearing it properly. The rest seem to think it is there to hide their double chin or catch the drool.

Can’t wait to get back to SA where at least the significant intellectual challenge of mask wearing does not overwhelm 90% of the local population.

Kudos to the Bunnies staff, they were mostly able to master the challenge.
Old 17-12-2021, 11:04   #2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Just came back from Bunnies in Coburg.

30% wearing a mask, and of those, only one third wearing it properly. The rest seem to think it is there to hide their double chin or catch the drool.

Can’t wait to get back to SA where at least the significant intellectual challenge of mask wearing does not overwhelm 90% of the local population.

Kudos to the Bunnies staff, they were mostly able to master the challenge.
Wearing a mask still has novelty value in SA.
In Vic, not so much.

Bunns in Coburg? You do know Coburg is Covid Central?
Old 17-12-2021, 11:54   #2115

Quote:

Bunns in Coburg? You do know Coburg is Covid Central?

Painfully aware. One of the lowest vaccination rates too.

Tags
Australia