Old 23-12-2021, 21:11   #2221

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Ecuador mandates vaccination for all over the age of 5
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/lati...ver-five.phtml
Old 24-12-2021, 00:40   #2222

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And I would like to mention that those statistics do not filter out the vaccinated from the unvaccinated.

Ann
Old 24-12-2021, 01:27   #2223

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

And given it is Christmas Eve and Santa will be visiting in a few hours, I would like to extend season’s greetings to everyone .

Let’s hope 2022 brings health, happiness and smooth seas for one and all.

SWL x

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 24-12-2021, 02:25   #2224
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
And given it is Christmas Eve and Santa will be visiting in a few hours, I would like to extend season’s greetings to everyone .

Let’s hope 2022 brings health, happiness and smooth seas for one and all.

SWL x
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 24-12-2021, 10:01   #2225

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Who coulda possibly foreseen that? Now we will see if the high vax/boost rate is actually useful... sure hope so!

As to the end game... we likely haven't even reached the half-time dancing girls and marching bands yet.

Jim
Jim, I doubt we the world, are even to the end of the
first quarter much less half time.
I hope I'm wrong.
Old 24-12-2021, 14:14   #2226

NSW gave it their best shot but Ecuador was first past the post!
Their universal vaccine mandate lasted less than 24 hours
https://cuencahighlife.com/governmen...l-ecuadorians/

NSW came in a second a long way back.
I received an email from Service NSW on 16th December advising an easing of restrictions.
Restrictions re-imposed on the 23rd.
Ho-de-hum
Merry Christmas!
Old 24-12-2021, 16:36   #2227

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Jim, I doubt we the world, are even to the end of the
first quarter much less half time.
I hope I'm wrong.
The best advice from the UK, that the first generation of mRNA vaccine booster doses lose their advantage against Omicron in 3 months, suggests you are not wrong, Cadence.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...thin-10-weeks/

Keep using that Pfizer loyalty card. You'll qualify for a free pizza right soon.
Old 26-12-2021, 05:26   #2228

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
The best advice from the UK, that the first generation of mRNA vaccine booster doses lose their advantage against Omicron in 3 months, suggests you are not wrong, Cadence.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...thin-10-weeks/

Keep using that Pfizer loyalty card. You'll qualify for a free pizza right soon.
Good news from there is that the Moderna booster is quite effective through 10 weeks and likely beyond.

But I think it is becoming increasingly clear that we are all simply going to get Omicron, even if we are vaxxed to the max (like me) and already were sick with another variant of covid (like me). I don't mind for myself, but I worry about my elderly father. If we do simply all get it and get it fast, then it should be over fast, too -- that's the silver lining.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 26-12-2021, 12:40   #2229

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Good news from there is that the Moderna booster is quite effective through 10 weeks and likely beyond.

But I think it is becoming increasingly clear that we are all simply going to get Omicron, even if we are vaxxed to the max (like me) and already were sick with another variant of covid (like me). I don't mind for myself, but I worry about my elderly father. If we do simply all get it and get it fast, then it should be over fast, too -- that's the silver lining.
I wish I was optimistic like you. I am afraid this, being a virus, is going to continue to mutate so if we all get one strain? I hope you are right.
To be a sarcastic old bastard i feel compelled to right a bio. Like the recent thread on radio help and probably many more
Old 26-12-2021, 14:03   #2230

Boat: Outremer 55L

We are currently in Wineglass Bay, a spectacular location with a brilliant semicircle of squeaky white sand fronted by clear water and imposing slabs of granite rising out of the forests to heights of five to six hundred metres. There are several local boats anchored here with us and quite a few backpackers camping and even swimming along the beach.

Yesterday a day cruise boat came in for a look with about 100 people on board. Everyone was masked up - quite a contrast with all on the boats and beach without any coverings at all except what’s required by modesty and temperature.

Mask mandates are back it seems, thanks Omicron.
Old 26-12-2021, 14:54   #2231

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The label Racist is so easily thrown at people I sometimes wonder if the people who throw it know what it actually means...
*Racist... A person who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.*
Now in the UK we have 'Illegal Immigrants' from every race and ethnicity.. White, Brown, Black and Yellow.. an Illegal Immigrant is someone who enters a country by means not legal..
Legal = applying for a visa and only coming when one is granted..
Not legal is jumping in a dinghy, breaking into an HGV trailer in Calais, trying to walk in via the Channel Tunnel.. or as is often the case overstaying their visa and trying to work in the underground cash in hand workforce.. this is also illegal.. its called Tax Avoidance.
Enough with the Uber Liberal word play and fake humanity, in all likelihood your just another NIMBY in a gated community.
Hear hear!! good one .
Old 26-12-2021, 17:30   #2232

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
An individual (or a group, for that matter) cannot 'be' an illegal; they can commit an illegal act which is punishable (or correctable) by law.

Words have meanings and consequences, and are often used to take advantage of both the gullible and the disadvantaged.

Using the term 'illegal' in such context is inflammatory, usually racist and displays an often malicious intent and ignorance that is both appalling and repulsive.

The use, or misuse, of the term by governments carries it's own set of problems, as it encourages the almost redundant assumption of guilt, especially by those, accurately or not, who've learned to associate such fearmongering with blanket guilt. Again, if a government decides that someone is 'illegal' because they've nowhere else to live, what use is that government?

And the (re)adoption of that attitude leaves us where? I'd say right back to 1990's Rawanda, or 1930's Central Europe, or 19th century Australia, or the 'Americas' circa the 16th through the 19th centuries, or any number of similar eras down through 'human' history...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The label Racist is so easily thrown at people I sometimes wonder if the people who throw it know what it actually means...
*Racist... A person who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.*
Now in the UK we have 'Illegal Immigrants' from every race and ethnicity.. White, Brown, Black and Yellow.. an Illegal Immigrant is someone who enters a country by means not legal..
Legal = applying for a visa and only coming when one is granted..
Not legal is jumping in a dinghy, breaking into an HGV trailer in Calais, trying to walk in via the Channel Tunnel.. or as is often the case overstaying their visa and trying to work in the underground cash in hand workforce.. this is also illegal.. its called Tax Avoidance. Enough with the Uber Liberal word play and fake humanity, in all likelihood your just another NIMBY in a gated community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Hear hear!! good one .
And all you two clowns have done is prove what you are...sadly, one only by association.

At least one of you has the ability, apparently, to 'think' for himself --- though that ability seems to stop at the level of self-examination (perhaps for hypocrisy?) --- not to mention (as previously noted) comprehension of simple abstract ideas.
Old 26-12-2021, 21:38   #2233

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
And all you two clowns have done is prove what you are...sadly, one only by association.

At least one of you has the ability, apparently, to 'think' for himself --- though that ability seems to stop at the level of self-examination (perhaps for hypocrisy?) --- not to mention (as previously noted) comprehension of simple abstract ideas.
My son who was involved in stopping the people smuggling trade into Australia some years ago, advises me that 'Potential irregular immigrants' is the correct term but it just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Meanwhile back on topic Dom is finding that the job isn't as easy as he thought it would be.
Old 26-12-2021, 21:54   #2234

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We are currently in Wineglass Bay, a spectacular location with a brilliant semicircle of squeaky white sand fronted by clear water and imposing slabs of granite rising out of the forests to heights of five to six hundred metres. There are several local boats anchored here with us and quite a few backpackers camping and even swimming along the beach.

Yesterday a day cruise boat came in for a look with about 100 people on board. Everyone was masked up - quite a contrast with all on the boats and beach without any coverings at all except what’s required by modesty and temperature.

Mask mandates are back it seems, thanks Omicron.

Wineglass bay is a secret. You are supposed to tell people it is a horrible anchorage with stinking polluted beaches.
Old 26-12-2021, 22:39   #2235

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Wineglass bay is a secret. You are supposed to tell people it is a horrible anchorage with stinking polluted beaches.
Well it is aRaF if there is any easterly around.
Pretty but RaF.

Tags
Australia