Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2021, 16:03   #211
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The above is a prime example of the abuse of statistics to show that there has been a balance of L and R government in the states in Australia. It is useless and misleading unless accompanied by statistics on social and economic development.......
Good one RayR, I am ROTFLMAO! Let's see, what was it you you opined a page or so back; oh yes that's right, it was -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
What is obvious to well informed observers of the Australian polity is that those states where the political pendulum has regularly swung between right and left are far less liable to draconian solutions than those where a single side of the polity has become inordinately well entrenched (As an islanded sub population far less culturally diverse than the rest of the country Western Australia is an outlier in the national societal existence)
Hmm... no supporting statistics and absolutely no mention of "social and economic developments", at least none that I can see.

Yet when I provide some numbers that apparently contradict your statement, my post giving actual real world data becomes

Quote:
.. a prime example of the abuse of statistics...
and
Quote:
..useless and misleading..
Surely by your logic, your quoted 'blue statement' fails for the same reasons. If however you still consider it useful and meaningful, then I'll reserve the right to maintain otherwise.

Other readers will apply their thought own processes to these countering claims and make their own judgement.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-08-2021, 16:22   #212

A general question for Aussies (and others) and one on which RayR may hold a useful opinion.

Given the two main Covid states (VIC & NSW) are taking reasonably significantly different Covid control approaches, which is likely to have the greater overall negative economic impacts when all is said and done?

Similarly, what is the perceived differences in economic terms between the Covid states (VIC + NSW) and currently non Covid states (QLD, TAS, SA, NT & WA)?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-08-2021, 17:08   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
How is this Snerf1 guy not kicked off the site?

He joined in July and posted 17 covid messages promoting the goofiest information possible.

Oh yeah, he's a sailor. Right. He sails a Troll 32.
Possibly because it is an Aussie based thread and we tend to see the Snerfs of the world like this.

https://fb.watch/7DVpJOH65Z/
https://www.facebook.com/10NewsAdl/v...6924781414934/

Apologies for the FB link, I couldn't find the vision elsewhere - maybe a smarter poster can and share.
Old 26-08-2021, 17:41   #214

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Possibly because it is an Aussie based thread and we tend to see the Snerfs of the world like this.

Or like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	244284
Old 26-08-2021, 19:28   #215

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
A general question for Aussies (and others) and one on which RayR may hold a useful opinion.

Given the two main Covid states (VIC & NSW) are taking reasonably significantly different Covid control approaches, which is likely to have the greater overall negative economic impacts when all is said and done?

Similarly, what is the perceived differences in economic terms between the Covid states (VIC + NSW) and currently non Covid states (QLD, TAS, SA, NT & WA)?
I have absolutely no idea.

However...

The 'Victoria has 200 days of lockdown' shock horror show doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Most of our 'lockdowns were short and sharp, details here https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...oria/100386078

The government went in hard and fast and it worked with one exception.
Even in that 111 day lockdown the infection rate was dropping rapidly after 5 weeks - despite having no vaccine to assist.

In this present outbreak Vic has been in lockdown now for three weeks and the daily new case numbers are pretty steady at around 70/80.

Meanwhile - 12 months later - NSW , after 5 weeks of 'lockdown lite' and with the aid of the vaccine , still shows no sign of being under control.

Vic's bad outbreak can be seen on the left, NSW's present one on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Covcomp.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	244286  
Old 26-08-2021, 23:09   #216

NZ south of Auckland moving back to level 3 next week

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...ks-of-lockdown

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...-alert-level-3
Old 26-08-2021, 23:20   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I have absolutely no idea.

However...

The 'Victoria has 200 days of lockdown' shock horror show doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Most of our 'lockdowns were short and sharp, details here https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...oria/100386078

The government went in hard and fast and it worked with one exception.
Even in that 111 day lockdown the infection rate was dropping rapidly after 5 weeks - despite having no vaccine to assist.

In this present outbreak Vic has been in lockdown now for three weeks and the daily new case numbers are pretty steady at around 70/80.

Meanwhile - 12 months later - NSW , after 5 weeks of 'lockdown lite' and with the aid of the vaccine , still shows no sign of being under control.

Vic's bad outbreak can be seen on the left, NSW's present one on the right.

Is this another abuse of statistics 'cause it doesn't support the fantasy I want you to believe and if I say it often enough - surely you will believe!!!!

Old 26-08-2021, 23:58   #218

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Is this another abuse of statistics 'cause it doesn't support the fantasy I want you to believe and if I say it often enough - surely you will believe!!!!

Wotie, you really are a BAD man

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 27-08-2021, 00:33   #219

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Good news for you Antipodians: you are now vaccinating at over 1 dose per 100 people per day, and have already given out almost 70 doses per 100. You have almost caught up with the slowest European country, Latvia. But if you keep up 1 per 100 per day, you will catch up fast, and at 70 per 100 cumulatively, you've probably already done the most vulnerable people. So maybe time to stop freaking out? It's gonna be ok. You're gonna make it through this. With or without further lockdowns, you don't have enough infection to have a big wave now, at least any big wave of death, considering the number of people you've vaccinated.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 27-08-2021, 00:40   #220

^^ I was one of those 1 per hundred. Today I received the 2nd AZ exactly 12 weeks to the hour after the first.

Presumably I'll be around to post more stuff over the coming days and weeks unless the local 5G tower activates the nanoparticles swirling around my body.
Old 27-08-2021, 00:41   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Good news for you Antipodians: you are now vaccinating at over 1 dose per 100 people per day, and have already given out almost 70 doses per 100. You have almost caught up with the slowest European country, Latvia. But if you keep up 1 per 100 per day, you will catch up fast, and at 70 per 100 cumulatively, you've probably already done the most vulnerable people. So maybe time to stop freaking out? It's gonna be ok. You're gonna make it through this. With or without further lockdowns, you don't have enough infection to have a big wave now, at least any big wave of death, considering the number of people you've vaccinated.
Freaking out?

We aren't freaking out , whatever gave you that idea?

However there are still very vulnerable populations with very low vaccination rates out there in western NSW and north western WA.

Its not all about the North Shore and the Eastern Suburbs - the lands on the sunny side of the Latte Line.
Old 27-08-2021, 00:42   #222

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Dock head, stop it, stop it I say, you will only encourage the anti lifers to profilerate their opposition to the alledged death vaccs.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 27-08-2021, 00:47   #223
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
I’ve found degree level to be a somewhat poor indicator of intelligence, especially in the non-STEM disciplines ...
Q: : What do you call the stupidest graduate, with the lowest GPA, from the worst medical school in the country?
A: Doctor.

Old 27-08-2021, 01:01   #224

Vax mandated for NSW teachers, joining healthcare workers, hotel quarantine staff and residential agedcare workers.

https://www.hcamag.com/au/news/gener...h-order/308085
Old 27-08-2021, 01:07   #225

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Since I got my second AZ dose my internet has been running really slowly!

Tags
Australia