Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2021, 14:50   #2266
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I am so sick of Mary Louise McCaws. So sick, between her and that twat norman swan the abc have got more wrong than right. Also sick of the abject failure to understand the constitutional roles of various people and jurisdictions. Also sick of people who dont understand that governing is not about single issues its about balancing all positives and negatives and making a decision.

Last year 1094 people died on the roads in Australia, 909 died from Covid. I havent heard anyone suggest that we stop driving cars? We as a society dont like people dying on the road, but we accept that it will happen and balance that cost against the freedom convenience and economic benefit.
Hmm... leaving aside Mary and Norman except to say they have plenty of company in the international crowd of who got more wrong than right, it seems to me that all Aussie governments initially made decisions that focussed on maintaining public health (particularly 'life'). As time wore on this degenerated into party bickering and finally decisions became more ideologically defined. This degeneration into party politics sickens me (this could be considered a universal ongoing pandemic in it's own right). Of course decisions should and must change as events unfold. The decisions should be always be based on what is best overall for the community - sadly they aren't. IMO, the decisions become based on what leaders believe is best for their own interests.

Comparing road trauma to Covid19 is like comparing pineapples to hand grenades. One is essentially a personal decision with very little flow on effect yet costs the community quite a bit - the other is a contagious disease capable of spreading throughout a community with potentially disastrous effects to health and life.

Humanity has learnt to live with contagious pathogens in the past and the lessons learnt along the way need to be remembered this time around. Not all realise this and get their knickers in a knot when asked to do stuff that they don't personally don't like.

These comments aren't directed to any poster in particular, rather they are part of a general conversation about living with Covid.

FWIW, governments regularly make road rules to enhance road safety, some of these annoy me yet I do my best to abide by them.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 31-12-2021, 15:05   #2267

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
snip..
Last year 1094 people died on the roads in Australia, 909 died from Covid. I havent heard anyone suggest that we stop driving cars? We as a society dont like people dying on the road, but we accept that it will happen and balance that cost against the freedom convenience and economic benefit.
Some seriously flawed logic there.

Currently we lose about 4.5 people per 100,000 to road accidents.
Probably before your time but 51 years ago - 1970 - we lost 3798 people from a far smaller population. That was 30.4 people per 100,000.

It was pretty much the norm in Victoria in the 60's for twenty people to die on the roads each and every weekend. It was also very newsworthy - people were calling for something to be done on a constant basis.

1970 was the year Victoria introduced seatbelts and since that time a constant stream of design improvements both in cars and roads, driver behaviour modification - ie DUI and speed limit enforcement - have seen a steady fall in deaths.

We do not accept road deaths - governments continue to work on driving the figures further down towards zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tralia_by_year

We will probably never get there, just as we will never totally eliminate deaths from common influenza or covid or a raft of other ailments.
Doesn't mean you just accept it.
Old 31-12-2021, 15:12   #2268

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

The decisions should be always be based on what is best overall for the community - sadly they aren't. IMO, the decisions become based on what leaders believe is best for their own interests.
A truer word never spoken. It maybe ego.
Old 31-12-2021, 22:37   #2269

Boat: Herreshoff 36

"One is essentially a personal decision"

Since when we call a traffic accident 'a personal decision?
Old 31-12-2021, 22:40   #2270

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Minor change in topic for those on the E Coast from about Mackay, QLD, to Coffs Harbour, NSW:

* BoM should give us the drum on Seth (apparently the third son Adam begot on Eve and, if you're a dinkum believer in wot is writ in the Old Testament, the male ancestor of all humans) by 1730 Eastern Standard Time/0730 UTC.

* the story so far today goes:

- at 1042 EST: Tropical Cyclone Information Bulletin 1 (QLD)

- at 1127 EST/0127 UTC: Tropical Cyclone Technical Bulletin 1 (QLD)

- at 1600 EST: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

- at 1640 EST: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ21137.shtml
Old 31-12-2021, 22:55   #2271
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
We do not accept road deaths - governments continue to work on driving the figures further down towards zero..
Not so, the concept of acceptable loss is even in the legislation: See for example Section 4 of the Transport operations Road Use Management Act 1995.

Quote:
Achieving an appropriate balance between safety and cost
(1)Although it may be possible to regulate to achieve the highest level of safety, doing so would ignore the impact of the regulation on the effectiveness and efficiency of road use.
(2)Therefore, this Act acknowledges the need to achieve an appropriate balance between safety, and the costs that regulation imposes on road users and the community.
The point is that government is always about competing priorities, its always all about choosing and balancing, its always about GOVERNING.
Old 31-12-2021, 23:05   #2272

Quote:
The point is that government is always about competing priorities, its always all about choosing and balancing, its always about GOVERNING.
Well said, Factor.

Geoff Kitney, as published by the Aus Financial Review

(for which see: https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...0211227-p59kaj)

wrote:

"The truth is, the Morrison government has become a government in name only, led by a leader who has little to offer as he seeks to take the Coalition to a fourth successive term in office. The Morrison government is occupying, not governing."
Old 31-12-2021, 23:12   #2273
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
(I’m a maths teacher, I guess it’s our equivalent of the Hippocratic oath.)

LOL - Perhaps you should remind most of the government statisticians of that... "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics" Its easier to lie and mislead with numbers than anything else.
Old 31-12-2021, 23:20   #2274

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
LOL - Perhaps you should remind most of the government statisticians of that... "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics" Its easier to lie and mislead with numbers than anything else.
Maybe, but I've seen way more wilful misinterpretation of the numbers from the anti-vax anti-lockdown mob than the government.

Either that or they are more stupid than they appear.
Old 31-12-2021, 23:27   #2275

Quote:
Could you be more explicit please UFO?

Who or what is telling lies and misleading:

* the prime minister (already covered by: https://www.crikey.com.au/dossier-of...nd-falsehoods/),
* the Aus Bureau of Statistics,
* the Reserve Bank of Aus,
* the Aus Prudential Regulation Authority,
* ASIC,
* ACCC,
* Aus Bureau of Meteorology,
* you,
* me,
* ?
Old 31-12-2021, 23:45   #2276

Quote:
Not so, the concept of acceptable loss is even in the legislation: See for example Section 4 of the Transport operations Road Use Management Act 1995.

You missed the word towards and omitted the important bit
'We do not accept road deaths - governments continue to work on driving the figures further down towards zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tralia_by_year

We will probably never get there, just as we will never totally eliminate deaths from common influenza or covid or a raft of other ailments.
Doesn't mean you just accept it.'
Old 31-12-2021, 23:48   #2277

Added bit
https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safe...afety-strategy
Old 31-12-2021, 23:52   #2278
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Could you be more explicit please UFO?

Who or what is telling lies and misleading:

* the prime minister (already covered by: https://www.crikey.com.au/dossier-of...nd-falsehoods/),
* the Aus Bureau of Statistics,
* the Reserve Bank of Aus,
* the Aus Prudential Regulation Authority,
* ASIC,
* ACCC,
* Aus Bureau of Meteorology,
* you,
* me,
* ?

Well if you can not see what is happening with the change of regulations in regards to close contacts and casual contacts and PCR testing methodology and how this will effect the statistics then you should really read what the exact above changes are and what they mean.

Just out of interest am I thinking correctly that with these changes that logging in for contact tracing (still required) is really a moot point?
Old 31-12-2021, 23:53   #2279

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahun View Post
"One is essentially a personal decision"

Since when we call a traffic accident 'a personal decision?
When the driver is juiced to the gills and driving like a dick?
Old 01-01-2022, 00:03   #2280

Quote:
Well if you can not see what is happening with the change of regulations in regards to close contacts and casual contacts and PCR testing methodology and how this will effect the statistics then you should really read what the exact above changes are and what they mean.
Hmm ... I thought I had discussed exactly that up-thread at:

* https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3546380

and

* https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...54652-151.html

plus

* suggesting those changes went against opinion of independent experts given at: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...covid-response

Tags
Australia