Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2022, 07:17   #2371

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

And this is worth a look.

https://www.covid19data.com.au

scroll down for the vax status and ICU and hospitalisations - ICU graphs.

And the dopey buggers - the antivaxxers - still don't get it.... but they will.
Old 15-01-2022, 08:13   #2372

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Let's be honest about it.

People who eat at McDonalds, or don't exercise enough, or don't drive well, or got hurt in a boating accident who are blocking beds, too. So that's a pretty slippery slope argument. If you want to apply a standard, you have to apply it consistently.

It's a bit tiring to see all the finger pointing over COVID. You have plenty of vaxxed people getting covid, and that's preventable with behavior, too. It's just that they didn't social distance enough. And while they're likely not blocking an ICU bed, they might have put someone else in one.

I'm all about vaccinations, masking, and social distancing. Yes, please do all of those things. I'm just not so much about the finger-pointing as if there are only specific behaviors we want to highlight, but not all the other contributing factors.
Yes, BUT the health systems can take care of these normal irresponsibilities such as Mc, no sports and so on under normal circumstances.
The nonvaxxers are aware of the overall situation in hospitals and still keep ignoring it.
Those folks who are vaxxed and end up in hospital did their part to avoud that but were unlucky.

Not getting vaxxed during the pandemic kills the system because it's not geared towards the overload. In normal times it can take of some level of irresponsibility.
Old 15-01-2022, 11:01   #2373

The definitive update on Novax
Old 15-01-2022, 11:27   #2374

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Loved it!
Old 15-01-2022, 14:22   #2375
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Let's be honest about it.

People who eat at McDonalds, or don't exercise enough, or don't drive well, or got hurt in a boating accident who are blocking beds, too. So that's a pretty slippery slope argument. If you want to apply a standard, you have to apply it consistently.
I wonder how much truth there is in this statement. First up, I don't know if is accurate or not; does anyone know?

The question is - what percentage of ICU beds are taken by people "making ongoing poor lifestyle decisions" and are they under or over represented in the ICU beds.

The popular belief appears to be a no-brainer - the "poor choice" guys fill most of the beds but I wonder....

Years back I went to a heart ward visiting a friend who had just had had major heart surgery. He was in mid forties, in prior general good health, played sport, a good BMI, ate well and to my mind, the last person to have heart problems especially given his age. So I was expecting him to be an outlier, I was expecting the rest of the patients to be old, poor health, overweight inactive slobs. Boy, was I wrong! Most of the others were more like him. Now maybe the ones in the ward were the survivors, maybe the 'unhealthy' had already died before getting to the recovery ward, I dunno. Maybe Australia was different to the USA, I dunno.

So pre-covid, who was filling the ICU beds, the lazy slobs or the rest of us (on a per capita basis).

FWIW, apparently I currently have about a 15% chance of a stroke in the next five years (according to my GP). After looking at all the markers, the GP suggested there was no point in making serious lifestyle change (diet, exercise etc) as the two primary indicators could not changed no matter what I now do. I.E. the GP could not alter my age or my gender (I suppose the latter is possible...). Sure I could make thing worse but assuming I didn't, I would be pissed if I find some Covidiot is sleeping in my bunk.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-01-2022, 16:46   #2376

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Not entirely, because the unvaccinated will likely block ICU beds which would normally go to heart attack, stroke, cancer or other critical I'll patients...
So their irresponsibility if paid for by those folks who can not get proper treatment due to them.

Exactly. You are still likely to get the virus if vaxinated. The big difference is you are much less likely to suffer the severe symptoms that require hospitalisation. Using lockdowns to minimise transmission of COVID while the health care system has time to prepare for an influx of cases has been one of the strategies in Australia, particularly NSW.

The strategies to minimise transmission and burden on the hospital system also include boarder restriction on citzens and sailing cruisers and mandatory vaxination. In the meantime elective surgeries, including my own, have been postponed due resources being diverted to dealing with those infected with COVID.

This is a PANDEMIC. It is beyond ridiculous to argue people would be in hospital anyway from other illnesses and lifestyle choices. These rates of hospitalisation do not grow exponentially and overwhelm health care services as has still been the case in the current NSW Omicron outbreak.
Old 15-01-2022, 16:57   #2377

Djokovic’s vaccine stance leaves him short of support from fellow players

"Nick Kyrgios has backed the Serb but many others resent his refusal to be vaccinated and his conduct in Australia.

The ATP revealed last week that 97 of the men’s top 100 have been vaccinated. Many, such as Stefanos Tsitsipas, were reluctant to get the jab at first, but did so because they knew that was what was required to continue playing on the tour. Rafael Nadal said in November that not getting vaccinated is “a bit selfish”. Djokovic chose not to."

Simon Cambers

Sun 16 Jan 2022

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...fellow-players
Old 15-01-2022, 17:14   #2378

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Here is a diagram (although now 3 weeks old) of ICU admissions in NSW (new south wales, most populous state in Oz). This is the chart I think El Ping referred to.
It shows the majority of patients with covid are those who are not fully vaccinated.

And about Wotname's comments on what of patients normally occupy beds in ICU? I have no formal figures, but the majority from own observations (daily over 15 years in two hospitals): mostly about age, multiple comorbidities (not necessarily all poor lifestyle choices, but many are), then post operation care, then poisoning, overdosing, then a small number post accidents ie cars, falling of ladder, and yes, we had at one time a boating accident (fell though deck hatch). This last comment to keep the thread sailing related
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICU in NSW.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	251354  
Old 15-01-2022, 19:03   #2379

As we say down here, "Fair Call Mates"! Lol

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/01/1...d-viral-video/
Old 15-01-2022, 22:55   #2380

He's gone
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenn...=p538bq#p538bq
Old 16-01-2022, 00:01   #2381
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
As we say down here, "Fair Call Mates"! Lol

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/01/1...d-viral-video/

Well in the strictness of the law stating that you need to be vaccinated to come into the country then it is a fair call.

But they did not hoof him out on that, probably as they new he had had covid twice and hence has better immunity than the vaccine gives - A legal precedent of such they would not want to be setting or awakening the masses to the fact that they may need not to be continually jabbed if they have had the virus.

What they got him on was that he was a threat to public safety in the fact that he is an Anti-Vaxxer, which is quite simply ludicrous and since when does not taking a vaccine for personal reasons (such as he has already had the virus) make you an anti-vaxxer? This was simply broad handed government control and politics.
Old 16-01-2022, 00:13   #2382

Quote:
He will be remembered along with Pistol and Bo!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-01-2022, 00:20   #2383

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Well in the strictness of the law stating that you need to be vaccinated to come into the country then it is a fair call.

But they did not hoof him out on that, probably as they new he had had covid twice and hence has better immunity than the vaccine gives - A legal precedent of such they would not want to be setting or awakening the masses to the fact that they may need not to be continually jabbed if they have had the virus.

What they got him on was that he was a threat to public safety in the fact that he is an Anti-Vaxxer, which is quite simply ludicrous and since when does not taking a vaccine for personal reasons (such as he has already had the virus) make you an anti-vaxxer? This was simply broad handed government control and politics.
When you are the No.1 tennis player in the world and want to make history by winning more grand slams than anyone else and you choose not to vaccinate and thus choose not to play, then one could assume you are an anti-vaxxer, especially as the rest of the players have rolled up their sleeves in order to play. It is no longer just a personal private decision.

However you are correct in saying it's broad handed government control and politics!
Old 16-01-2022, 00:27   #2384
UFO

Quote:
And this is worth a look.

https://www.covid19data.com.au

scroll down for the vax status and ICU and hospitalisations - ICU graphs.

And the dopey buggers - the antivaxxers - still don't get it.... but they will.

Is that Total ICU Tally or Daily ICU intake on one of the charts?

They do no clearly label it. I am presuming its a running total for ICU, as otherwise beds would be running out in a pretty rapid fashion if we are now getting nearly 400 cases per day entering ICU? I know in Perth, ICU and Emergency can hardly handle the drunks on a Saturday Night!
Old 16-01-2022, 00:31   #2385
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
When you are the No.1 tennis player in the world and want to make history by winning more grand slams than anyone else and you choose not to vaccinate and thus choose not to play, then one could assume you are an anti-vaxxer, especially as the rest of the players have rolled up their sleeves in order to play. It is no longer just a personal private decision.

However you are correct in saying it's broad handed government control and politics!

My point being though is that he not out there screaming about not taking the vaccine, he has simply not taken it due to an unknown reason, which may be a medical reason or simply that he has had the virus before, yet he has been labeled a subversive by the Government - Reeks of authoritarianism to me and if they are happy to go down this path, it will not have a long term happy ending for the general public I feel.

Tags
Australia