Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2022, 00:59   #2386

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Well in the strictness of the law stating that you need to be vaccinated to come into the country then it is a fair call.

But they did not hoof him out on that, probably as they new he had had covid twice and hence has better immunity than the vaccine gives - A legal precedent of such they would not want to be setting or awakening the masses to the fact that they may need not to be continually jabbed if they have had the virus.

What they got him on was that he was a threat to public safety in the fact that he is an Anti-Vaxxer, which is quite simply ludicrous and since when does not taking a vaccine for personal reasons (such as he has already had the virus) make you an anti-vaxxer? This was simply broad handed government control and politics.

“Now, you listen here! He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!”

I am sure the Judges Quoted Monty Python? Regardless, looks like the Court has set a high standard against anyone who thinks they are going to sail into Australia? As a concerned citizen I feel much safer.
Old 16-01-2022, 01:01   #2387
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
My point being though is that he not out there screaming about not taking the vaccine, he has simply not taken it due to an unknown reason, which may be a medical reason or simply that he has had the virus before, yet he has been labeled a subversive by the Government - Reeks of Chinese style governance to me and if they are happy to go down this path, it will not have a long term happy ending for the general public I feel.
Have to disagree on one point, I pretty confident the minster made his decision based purely on ballot box considerations and it took three days for him to get his ducks in a row. AFAIK, the Chinese don't give the same consideration to ballot box interests.

I dunno if the ballot box will reward the minster or otherwise or even if anyone (apart from you, me and a handful of others) will care one way or the other when the time comes.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-01-2022, 01:12   #2388
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Have to disagree on one point, I pretty confident the minster made his decision based purely on ballot box considerations ...
When politicians make decisions I agree with, based purely on their perception of public opinion, I call it democratic responsiveness, or listening to the people.
When I disagree, I call it pandering, or playing politics.

Old 16-01-2022, 01:31   #2389

Quote:
I wonder how much truth there is in this statement. First up, I don't know if is accurate or not; does anyone know?

The question is - what percentage of ICU beds are taken by people "making ongoing poor lifestyle decisions" and are they under or over represented in the ICU beds.

The popular belief appears to be a no-brainer - the "poor choice" guys fill most of the beds but I wonder....

Actually, we do know. We keep records of that sort of thing.

Much like if a marathon runner dies of a heart attack. It can happen, but it's a rarity, and it's shocking because it's the exception, not the rule.

If a young, healthy person dies of covid, it's news. If an unhealthy person dies of covid, it's a statistic.

The folks dying from COVID generally have co-morbidities or are older, and are likely unvaxxed. That's not a guess, it's a fact. It's not the emphasis of reporting, because they don't want people making "the wrong choices".

The real question, I suppose, is whether we stick to this regimen of everyone getting a vaccination every six months, as covid is pretty much endemic at this point, and everyone, vaxxed or not, symptomatic or not, will eventually have had it.
Old 16-01-2022, 03:03   #2390
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
... The folks dying from COVID generally have co-morbidities or are older, and are likely unvaxxed ...
Couldn't that be said of anyone, dying of anything?
Generally, more sick, old people die, than healthy, young people.

Old 16-01-2022, 03:50   #2391
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Actually, we do know. We keep records of that sort of thing.

Much like if a marathon runner dies of a heart attack. It can happen, but it's a rarity, and it's shocking because it's the exception, not the rule.

If a young, healthy person dies of covid, it's news. If an unhealthy person dies of covid, it's a statistic.

The folks dying from COVID generally have co-morbidities or are older, and are likely unvaxxed. That's not a guess, it's a fact. It's not the emphasis of reporting, because they don't want people making "the wrong choices".

The real question, I suppose, is whether we stick to this regimen of everyone getting a vaccination every six months, as covid is pretty much endemic at this point, and everyone, vaxxed or not, symptomatic or not, will eventually have had it.
Err... the premise of the question back in post 2375 was about people making poor lifestyle choices and then clogging up ICU beds. You made the statement People who eat at McDonalds, or don't exercise enough, or don't drive well, or got hurt in a boating accident who are blocking beds.

I'm pretty sure we don't keep records of who eat at McDonalds etc when they turn up in ICU.

But if we do know, where do we find this information?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-01-2022, 03:52   #2392

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Err... the premise of the question back in post 2375 was about people making poor lifestyle choices and then clogging up ICU beds. You made the statement People who eat at McDonalds, or don't exercise enough, or don't drive well, or got hurt in a boating accident who are blocking beds.

I'm pretty sure we don't keep records of who eat at McDonalds etc when they turn up in ICU.

But if we do know, where do we find this information?
Do smokers clog up ICU beds?
I thought they just stuck them out on the verandah of the cough and spit ward cos once they arrive in hospital intensive care isn't going to save them. It will just be pallative care.
Old 16-01-2022, 04:44   #2393
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Looks like we will be saved if the Aussie Government will bring in a few thousand tons of weed and get everyone stoned

https://fortune.com/2022/01/12/canna...lls-lab-study/

Perhaps there should be a study of all the stoners and covid rates in the country, now how do I apply for that research grant........
Old 16-01-2022, 07:10   #2394
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
When politicians make decisions I agree with, based purely on their perception of public opinion, I call it democratic responsiveness, or listening to the people.
When I disagree, I call it pandering, or playing politics.
How true, but what we call it may be meaningless, as political decisions rarely express public interest, regardless of the perceptions we hold.

If Aussies are like we North Americans, and as long as getting elected is done with major corporate "contributions", politicians - of either party - don't and won't make decisions. Rather they will always support their financiers and do as they are told, or be primaried.

The public be damned, eh? For example several studies of laws passed in the US found that the corporate wishes/positions were delivered over 90% of the time. Even issues that had massive public support of people of both parties - say 60-90% public support - did not pass, or were not even debated.
Old 16-01-2022, 07:15   #2395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippee View Post
What we call it may be meaningless, as political decisions rarely express public interest, regardless of the perceptions we hold.

If Aussies are like we North Americans, and as long as getting elected is done with major corporate "contributions", politicians - of either party - don't and won't make decisions. Rather they will always support their financiers and do as they are told, or be primaried.

The public be damned, eh? For example several studies of laws passed in the US found that the corporate wishes/positions were delivered over 90% of the time. Even issues that had massive public support of people of both parties - say 60-90% public support - did not pass, or were not even debated.
Thankfully we Australians are not like you North Americans.

Scumbo went the 'full populist' on this one. He is facing an election in a few months and things aren't looking that good for him.

Edit noted 'if you Aussies are like we North Americans'
When did we let Gord in?

Looks like we have another visa that needs revoking
Old 16-01-2022, 07:40   #2396
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
... Edit noted 'if you Aussies are like we North Americans'
When did we let Gord in?
Looks like we have another visa that needs revoking
If Scott Morrison wins thwe next election, I'm leaving the country.
If Anthony Albanese wins, I'm leaving the country.
Not a political statement.
I'm just getting deported, because El Pinguino's playing his Trump card.

Old 16-01-2022, 08:01   #2397

'Prime Minister Scott Morrison and his Immigration Minister, Alex Hawke, have said the decision to deport tennis star Novak Djokovic was made to keep Australia’s borders strong and to protect social cohesion.'
And also - to enhance their chances of re-election.
He really is a smarmy weasel.
Old 16-01-2022, 08:11   #2398

Boat: Newport 28 II

Australia is a tyrannical bully country and should be boycotted by every industry.
Their tyrannical views fly in the face of what Yachting and the cruising lifestyle is all about.
Old 16-01-2022, 08:13   #2399

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Australia is a tyrannical bully country and should be boycotted by every industry.
Their tyrannical views fly in the face of what Yachting and the cruising lifestyle is all about.
Whatever, if you say so, etc.

Feel free not to visit.

Query. How did you form this view? personal visit? The media? If the media then what media in particular?
Old 16-01-2022, 08:17   #2400
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Do you believe that a country should be organized around your vision of the yachting and cruising lifestyle?

Tags
Australia