Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 14:23   #2566

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

I cant find my small pox scar or the polio shot circa 56. Were they, as the anti vax. group want vetted? I'm still here.
Old 16-02-2022, 14:41   #2567

So, this is the new " covid 2 " thread?
Old 16-02-2022, 14:54   #2568
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Mod hat ON - this is a thread about "The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid".

By and large it has been respectful and while there has been differing opinions, mostly these varying opinions have shared been without rancour. There has been the occasional spat and the occasional foray into the northern hemisphere.

However be warned - too much leeway creates excessive drift and takes the goodship onto the shoals of closure and I assure you, we don't want that.

Said another way - play nice, play within the topic and you will have a nice day
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-02-2022, 15:44   #2569

Boat: Sceptre 41

I suppose we'll see certain folks now trying to get this thread shut down, as they did (successfully) with the Canadian thread.

Perhaps (hopefully), Australians are held in higher regard on CF that it seems was held for Canadians.

I wish my Australian cousins good luck.
Old 16-02-2022, 16:46   #2570
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
I suppose we'll see certain folks now trying to get this thread shut down, as they did (successfully) with the Canadian thread.

Perhaps (hopefully), Australians are held in higher regard on CF that it seems was held for Canadians.

I wish my Australian cousins good luck.

Well some of us down here have the upmost respect for you Guys up in Canada
Old 16-02-2022, 17:08   #2571

Australia’s Therapeutic Goods Administration authorizes Covid-19 vaccine for children (6-11 years)

February 17, 2022 by NEWSVACCINE That be in Australia, it is only the 16th here in The Last Best Place, Montana.

Cambridge, MA / ACCESSWIRE / February 16, 2022 / Moderna, Inc. has announced. (NASDAQ: mRNA), the leading biotech company in RNA (mRNA) therapeutics and vaccines, today announced that The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) in Australia has granted provisional registration for the use of Moderna’s COVID-19 mRNA vaccine. Spikevax, 50 mcg, two-dose series, for active immunization to prevent SARS-CoV-2-induced COVID-19 in children 6-11 years of age.

“The TGA’s authorization to use our COVID-19 vaccine in children aged 6-11 in Australia is an important milestone for Moderna as it is the first regulatory authorization to use our vaccine in this age group. We are grateful to Moderna CEO Stefan Bancel. We are grateful for the opportunity to provide protection against COVID-19 to this important age group, keeping children safe and able to continue living as normally as possible.”

Professor Robert Bowie of the Immunization Coalition commented: “I welcome this decision by the TGA and look forward to a further increase in childhood vaccination to protect children and increase school attendance.”

Moderna vaccine was investigated in the ongoing Phase II “KidCOVE” study, a randomized, blind-controlled, placebo-controlled study to evaluate the safety, tolerability, interaction, and efficacy of two 50-mcg doses of Spikevax (mRNA-1273) given to healthy children 28 days apart. The study population was divided into three age groups (6 to less than 12 years, 2 to less than 6 years, and six months to less than 2 years).

Data submitted to TGA showed that vaccination of children 6 to less than 12 years of age with a 50 μg initial series of mRNA-1273 correlates with anti-SARS-CoV-2 non-SARS antibody responses when compared with those in individuals 18-25 years from a phase study. 3 cove. The geometric mean ratio (GMR) comparing response in children to response in young adults from the Phase 3 COVE study was 1.5 (95% CI: 1.3, 1.8), with a sero-response rate of 99.3%. Two 50-μg doses of mRNA-1273 were generally well tolerated.

Wishing all to stay healthy and have a great or at least better 2022.
Old 25-02-2022, 17:17   #2572

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Analysis of sewage wastewater shows that all the population of all ports along the E coast of QLD are infected, in the week ending 27 February.

See: https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...tus/wastewater
Old 25-02-2022, 17:37   #2573

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Analysis of sewage wastewater shows that all the population of all ports along the E coast of QLD are infected, in the week ending 27 February.

See: https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...tus/wastewater
Wastewater? Are they still doing that in Queensland?

I forget whether it was last year or the year before that but down here they would suddenly announce 'Covid found in wastewater in Patchewollock!!' or some other bush town.

A week later they would announce an all clear with no cases detected and put it down to a truckie stopping for a dump on his way to Manangatang or points further north.

They stopped making these announcements after a few months although they are probably still testing - dunno why.
Old 25-02-2022, 18:55   #2574

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I forget whether it was last year or the year before that but down here they would suddenly announce 'Covid found in wastewater in Patchewollock!!' or some other bush town.

A week later they would announce an all clear with no cases detected and put it down to a truckie stopping for a dump on his way to Manangatang or points further north.

They stopped making these announcements after a few months although they are probably still testing - dunno why.
They do it all the time in order to identify what, and how much, the rifraf are ingesting and injecting. In ports of entry they also test for parasites so they can nip any infestations in the bud. They also test the waters near beaches to keep an eye on fecal coliforms.
Old 25-02-2022, 22:26   #2575

Quote:
Too bloody right they do, Ping.

Reckon they do it down your way too, just they might prefer to keep you a happy mushroom, in the dark.

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/w...vid-19-program
Old 25-02-2022, 23:20   #2576

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Too bloody right they do, Ping.

Reckon they do it down your way too, just they might prefer to keep you a happy mushroom, in the dark.

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/w...vid-19-program
And not a green tick to be seen!

Checking for covid in W/W these days is akin to checking it for turds.
Old 26-02-2022, 01:18   #2577

Quote:
Checking for covid in W/W these days is akin to checking it for turds.
Testing sewage for Covid is quick, relatively inexpensive, and unbiased (meaning that people can choose not to come forward for testing but few choose not to direct their waste to sewage).

Wastewater surveillance is also regarded as a good way to look for the emergence of new variants of Covid-19. Plus, the tests reveal something of the amount of virus present, giving a clue as to whether a wave of infection is subsiding, growing, etc.

See: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/02/o...ir-sewage.html (you can even leer en espan~ol, should you prefer).

For cruisers on the QLD coast, checking the wastewater report is a quick way to see which ports are safer than others. Cooktown was green for a week, but has now slipped back to red. Sad.
Old 26-02-2022, 02:06   #2578
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Cooktown was green for a week, but has now slipped back to red. Sad.

Not really sad if the hospitalisation rates and deaths are minimal, it means that it is spreading like wildfire with minimal effect on the populace.

I have met several people in the last couple of weeks who have had it along with their families and people they know, all have been fine which is very good and if old Queenie can get it and not even stop work, well that says a lot.

This is the beginning of the end of Covid and it will now just be another endemic illness and hopefully treated by the powers that be as such.
Old 26-02-2022, 03:06   #2579

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We are back in after our 6 week stint @ covid central (Gold Coast,)

Freaked out a bit at the start
Did all the right things, very few others did
Work pressures and several Johnny on the spot car trips a day had us drop the ball somewhat towards the end

Were crook for a few days towards the end, cough, sniffles, headaches, watery eyes but put it down to flogging ourselves, living in a toxic waste dump and excessive self medication (as per Drs directive)

Back in the water now
Enjoying the torrential rains and howling winds (not really) at an anchorage on the Broadwater
Small mercy is ***** weather is keeping jetskis and rivieras at home.
Old 26-02-2022, 19:06   #2580

Boat: Outremer 55L

We just left Tasmania (Deal Island) two days ago. Tasmania still required check ins to stores and other venues (indoor and out), masks to be worn indoors and 1.5m distancing. We heard on the news that mandatory check ins would stop soon (or already?).

We arrived in NSW (Eden) yesterday. There were still check in signs visible in some stores and we saw two people (out of about 200) wearing masks going into a store. But as far as we could tell, there was no one asking for nor enforcing check ins or masks or 1.5m distancing in the variety of businesses that we entered. Is that now the case in NSW? If so, viva libertade!

Tags
Australia