Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2022, 00:01   #2686

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Shut her down.

They've had their fun with us and now very few people are taking any notice of them and they don't dare revert to their former bad behaviour and whilst it may still be relevant to our ABC, to most of us it's becoming a bad memory and a nebulous threat out on the edge of our day to day perceptions.

Turn your blue heeler loose on it and run it out the gate.
Old 20-07-2022, 00:17   #2687

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The reality of living Australia just now?
Joyce is the one that should have the dogs set on him.
Not content in losing her baggage for over a week on the way back to NZ from Ecuador last month one of my crew flew from Auckland via Melb to Brisbane yesterday.
They not only lost her baggage -- they lost the whole lot.
Qantas spokesman - who obviously drew the short straw - addressed the crowd at the carousel - 'Sorry but we just don't know where any of your bags are'.

Surely Qantas management should have been aware over a year ago that traffic was going to ramp up from the start of this year.

Joyce should be applying for a job as baggage handler with Ryanair.
Old 20-07-2022, 00:35   #2688

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The reality of living Australia just now?
Joyce is the one that should have the dogs set on him.
Not content in losing her baggage for over a week on the way back to NZ from Ecuador last month one of my crew flew from Auckland via Melb to Brisbane yesterday.
They not only lost her baggage -- they lost the whole lot.
Qantas spokesman - who obviously drew the short straw - addressed the crowd at the carousel - 'Sorry but we just don't know where any of your bags are'.

Surely Qantas management should have been aware over a year ago that traffic was going to ramp up from the start of this year.

Joyce should be applying for a job as baggage handler with Ryanair.

Ahh, the leprechaun that should have been dispatched long ago,

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 20-07-2022, 01:17   #2689

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Damn, I can't believe this thread is still going and you are all still jumping up and down like paranoid little chickens, even after you have had your fourth jab in less than a year.

Its time to move on people and let the whole covid drama go into the past where it belongs - Fear is not a useful emotion - There really is nothing to fear, apart from the media BS. Due to underlying respiratory issues I am in a high risk group and have not had the vaccine and have had covid twice (different strains I presume) and it really is nothing to be afraid of - I have had worse colds and certainly it bears no comparison to some of the bad flu's I have had over my life.
Wow that sure is offensive to the families and friends of the 6.3 milliion people who have died.
The countless millions who have been brutally sick
Those that now have long covid and other ongoing issues
Those that have suffered financial hardships
And the scientists and medical professionals who have had to work through it all whilst putting up with people like yourself who treat it all as a joke.

Give yourself an uppercut or three on their behalf.
Old 20-07-2022, 15:19   #2690

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Shut her down.

They've had their fun with us and now very few people are taking any notice of them and they don't dare revert to their former bad behaviour and whilst it may still be relevant to our ABC, to most of us it's becoming a bad memory and a nebulous threat out on the edge of our day to day perceptions.

Turn your blue heeler loose on it and run it out the gate.
Funny, I guess it depends on who you associate with. Most of the people at our sailing club are still being quite discreet, and all the pharmacies and doctor's offices still require masking up, here in southern Tasmania. Lots of new cases, both Covid and flu, in hospitals.

I'd say that for elders, and especially for people with respiratory issues, being cautious is becoming a way of life here, not so much teenagers and other younger adults; however, in general, they are simply acting as spreaders of communicable diseases. Historically, this is not new.

Ann
Old 20-07-2022, 15:49   #2691

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hi Ann,

I'm at Airlie Beach on my way north to Cairns at the moment but have not noticed one person wearing a mask either on the street or indoors. I notice that it is still getting a fair bit of attention by "our ABC" when I channel surf looking for news but folks who want to stay sane don't watch the ABC anyway. I am worried about the foot and mouth epidemic which is about to engulf us though.
Old 20-07-2022, 16:06   #2692

Hoping everyone will remain healthy in Aussieland, best wishes from The Last Best Place.

The BA5 variant is running amuck here in the States, hospitalizations are climbing due to breakthrough and reinfections, but being boosted does help as to mitigating serious disease and death outcomes. Long-Covid is common and continues to have very adverse outcome effects. The transmissibility [R0] for Omicron BA 5 is stated to be equal to or even higher than for measles meaning that Omicron has become the most infectious virus to humans.

Recommend masking when encountering others to aid in reducing the R0. Masks are encouraged and we will begin seeing new mandates in hot spots, example Los Angeles.

FYI:

Snipet:

Omicron variant BA.5 is so contagious 'an elevator ride' is enough time for potential infection: expert

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...61c6872018c1ff

Regarding what’s different about BA.5 compared to other strains, Osterholm says that it can evade protection from previous infections and vaccinations, leaving people seeing new infections, despite having recent bouts with COVID.
Whereas before, with previous strains of the virus, Osterholm says it may have taken 10 to 15 minutes of exposure to be at risk of infection, with BA.5, he says it would take nothing more than “an elevator ride.”

“That poses a real challenge because people may have no idea they have a casual contact talking with somebody in a hallway, and that could be the exposure that infects them,” Osterholm said.

Even with the rising case numbers due to BA.5’s ability to evade protection, Osterholm reiterated that the vaccine is the most effective protection against serious illness, hospitalization, and death.

“There’s a difference between getting infected and having a serious illness and dying. I’ve been saying for months these vaccines are not perfect. They are far from perfect,” Osterholm said. “They are not stopping people all the time from getting infected… but what’s critical is keeping people out of the hospital, keeping people from being seriously ill, and keeping people from dying.”

Lastly, when it comes to what could happen from here, Osterholm says that he just "doesn't know" because we could see another spike this year like we did last year if new strains keep popping up.
Old 20-07-2022, 16:11   #2693

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Hi Ann,

I'm at Airlie Beach on my way north to Cairns at the moment but have not noticed one person wearing a mask either on the street or indoors. I notice that it is still getting a fair bit of attention by "our ABC" when I channel surf looking for news but folks who want to stay sane don't watch the ABC anyway. I am worried about the foot and mouth epidemic which is about to engulf us though.
Yes , Bali is ever so close - unlike South America which is 15 hours away.

Although with the virus having a life of 24 hours and the current state of international air travel that probably isn't a problem.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...12-p5b11t.html

'Watt rejected calls from the federal Nationals leader David Littleproud to set up disease-killing chemical foot baths for Bali passengers, arguing the chemicals used can harm peoples’ skin and would not prevent the disease from spreading from shoes carried in their luggage.

“Even if you do walk through a footbath at an airport with one pair of shoes, what if you’ve got three other pairs of shoes in your bag?” he said.

What person holidaying in Bali has three pairs of shoes in their bag? 99% would just have the pair of japanese seaboots that they are wearing - nada mas.

At Tulla they used to send your footwear off to be 'sanitised' if coming from SA. Don't see why they can't do it again.
Old 20-07-2022, 16:14   #2694

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...spital-numbers

Australian Medical Association chief says mask mandates becoming more likely amid ‘pretty scary’ Covid hospital numbers

Tue 19 Jul 2022

"It will soon become evident to premiers “that mask mandates are required” to tackle surging Covid numbers, the president of the Australian Medical Association has said, as the number of people in hospital and health worker infections continue to rise.

Dr Omar Khorshid said the hospital numbers had become “pretty scary”, especially as thousands of health workers are furloughed due to infection. There were 821 Covid cases in Victorian hospitals as of Monday, a 99% increase since 22 June. In New South Wales, there were 2,205, while in Queensland, hospital admissions have exceeded modelling projections.

“I don’t know how far they [politicians] can let the numbers go while still saying we don’t need mask mandates,” Khorshid said."

On Tuesday the federal chief health officer, Paul Kelly, warned Australia was “at the start of this wave, not the end” as he urged employers to let employees work from home if feasible. Kelly and the federal health minister, Mark Butler, wore masks during their press conference, removing them only to speak. “We know that wearing masks does reduce the spread … I really very strongly suggest that you do wear masks,” Kelly said. “I am wearing a mask now. You will have noticed the minister is wearing a mask as well. This is our leadership role for the community. This will not be forever, but for the next few weeks this is the way we can actually influence the spread of the virus, protect vulnerable people in our community and also protect our healthcare systems which are already under strain.”
Old 20-07-2022, 16:40   #2695

Wink Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Damn, I can't believe this thread is still going and you are all still jumping up and down like paranoid little chickens, even after you have had your fourth jab in less than a year.

Its time to move on people and let the whole covid drama go into the past where it belongs - Fear is not a useful emotion - There really is nothing to fear, apart from the media BS. Due to underlying respiratory issues I am in a high risk group and have not had the vaccine and have had covid twice (different strains I presume) and it really is nothing to be afraid of - I have had worse colds and certainly it bears no comparison to some of the bad flu's I have had over my life.

Third time lucky hey.
There are thousands dieing of it mate. I'm 80. One lung working and long Term drugs affected heart.
I and wife wear masks outside the door thank you.
and personally I reckon. Those whe don't get vaccinated do NOT get access to hospital beds.
Keep then for the people that have respect for others. I.E Vaccinated to protect others oldies and kids. NOT selfish "self" pricks.
Old 20-07-2022, 16:41   #2696

Boat: Outremer 55L

The Brisbane-based company I’m doing an IT contract for has asked all workers to avoid all of their VIC, NSW, SA, and QLD offices and to work from home if possible. For those in lab and assembly jobs that have to work onsite then up to date vaccinations and masks are required. They’re setting up rosters to lower the number of people onsite and encourage distancing.

In SE QLD I’m seeing more customer facing workplaces bringing back mask mandates for their staff - I’m guessing that the cost of absences due to COVID and close contact isolations is getting too high.

In QLD 2nd booster (vac #4) now freely available to over 30s and anyone with greater risk factors.

Sigh, back to the bad old days. At least now we’ve got viable vaccines and the development of vaccines that cover new variants seems well in hand.

As they say, people are done with Covid, but Covid isn’t done with us. Except if you’re Chuck Norris.
Old 20-07-2022, 17:31   #2697

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Hi Ann,

I'm at Airlie Beach on my way north to Cairns at the moment but have not noticed one person wearing a mask either on the street or indoors. I notice that it is still getting a fair bit of attention by "our ABC" when I channel surf looking for news but folks who want to stay sane don't watch the ABC anyway
That's a frightening comment in itself

Essentially those who can't handle the truth search for fantasy "news" elsewhere.
Murdoch and his mates would be proud

Quote:

. I am worried about the foot and mouth epidemic which is about to engulf us though
Why worry?
Just change channels, problem sorted.
Old 20-07-2022, 19:14   #2698

Covid-19 reinfections may increase the likelihood of new health problems
July 5, 2022

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/05/h...isk/index.html

"Repeatedly catching Covid-19 appears to increase the chances that a person will face new and sometimes lasting health problems after their infection, according to the first study on the health risks of reinfection.

The study, which is based on the health records of more than 5.6 million people treated in the VA Health System, found that, compared with those with just one Covid-19 infection, those with two or more documented infections had more than twice the risk of dying and three times the risk of being hospitalized within six months of their last infection. They also had higher risks for lung and heart problems, fatigue, digestive and kidney disorders, diabetes and neurologic problems."

. . .

Common new diagnoses after reinfections included chest pain, abnormal heart rhythms, heart attacks, inflammation of the heart muscle or the sac around the heart, heart failure and blood clots. Common lung issues included shortness of breath, low blood oxygen, lung disease, and accumulation of fluid around the lungs, Al-Aly said.
The study found that the risk of a new health problem was highest around the time of a Covid-19 reinfection, but it also persisted for at least six months. The increased risk was present whether or not someone had been vaccinated, and it was graded -- meaning it increased with each subsequent infection.
Al-Aly said that's not what people really think will happen when they get Covid a second or third time. "There is this idea that if you had Covid before, your immune system is trained to recognize it and is more equipped to fight it, and if you're getting it again, maybe it doesn't affect you that much, but that's not really true," Al-Aly said that doesn't mean there aren't people who have had Covid and done just fine; there are lots of them. Rather, what his study shows is that each infection brings new risk, and that risk adds up over time. Even if a person has half the risk of developing lasting health problems during a second infection than they did during their first infection, he said, they still wind up with 50% more risk of problems than someone who didn't get Covid-19 a second time.
Old 21-07-2022, 10:45   #2699

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Covid-19 reinfections may increase the likelihood of new health problems

July 5, 2022

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/05/h...isk/index.html

"Repeatedly catching Covid-19 appears to increase the chances that a person will face new and sometimes lasting health problems after their infection, according to the first study on the health risks of reinfection.

The study, which is based on the health records of more than 5.6 million people treated in the VA Health System, found that, compared with those with just one Covid-19 infection, those with two or more documented infections had more than twice the risk of dying and three times the risk of being hospitalized within six months of their last infection. They also had higher risks for lung and heart problems, fatigue, digestive and kidney disorders, diabetes and neurologic problems."

. . .

Common new diagnoses after reinfections included chest pain, abnormal heart rhythms, heart attacks, inflammation of the heart muscle or the sac around the heart, heart failure and blood clots. Common lung issues included shortness of breath, low blood oxygen, lung disease, and accumulation of fluid around the lungs, Al-Aly said.

The study found that the risk of a new health problem was highest around the time of a Covid-19 reinfection, but it also persisted for at least six months. The increased risk was present whether or not someone had been vaccinated, and it was graded -- meaning it increased with each subsequent infection.

Al-Aly said that's not what people really think will happen when they get Covid a second or third time. "There is this idea that if you had Covid before, your immune system is trained to recognize it and is more equipped to fight it, and if you're getting it again, maybe it doesn't affect you that much, but that's not really true," Al-Aly said that doesn't mean there aren't people who have had Covid and done just fine; there are lots of them. Rather, what his study shows is that each infection brings new risk, and that risk adds up over time. Even if a person has half the risk of developing lasting health problems during a second infection than they did during their first infection, he said, they still wind up with 50% more risk of problems than someone who didn't get Covid-19 a second time.
Really? Veteran Affairs in nursing homes as a measure for healthy kids vaccination?
Old 22-07-2022, 06:17   #2700

New Zealanders are dying from COVID-19 at record rates as the country battles a new wave of the Omicron strain that is particularly affecting the older population.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zealand-c...064447359.html

Deaths from the virus reached 151 in the seven days to July 16, compared with 115 in the worst week of the previous wave, in March, according to Health Ministry data. In the latest 24 hours, 26 people died from COVID, all aged over 60, the ministry said in a statement on Friday.

The Omicron BA.5 sub-variant is driving the current wave in New Zealand, which has 5.1 million people. There have been 64,780 active cases in the past seven days, although authorities say many infections are unreported.

Tags
Australia