Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2021, 01:50   #331

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

On the 19th of August our prime muppet made an announcement.
He announced that from mid September children from 16 years up could get Phizer from 30th August.. much rejoicing in the provinces.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coro...ccine-16-over/

Four days ago he - the Prime Minister for Morrison - announced that the next day there would be yet another announcement and wonder of wonders when the sun rose there was yet another announcement .
12 year and older can get Phizer from mid September!
Happy? The populace is ecstatic! Words just cannot describe the rejoicing!!
https://www.skynews.com.au/australia...f95b7eebea5383

Sadly the rejoicing is short lived.
It would appear there is no Phizer
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...30-p58n0i.html
At the present time no-one in Victoria can book a Phizer shot - all taken - sorry.
So its all a bit of a fizzer - bugger!

Australia Hotel in Cairns?
Only watering hole I recall in Cairns was the 'Spearthrowers Arms' on Wharf Street (?) but that was over 50 years ago.
Old 30-08-2021, 02:10   #332

Oh dear,
'Mr Morrison revealed the forecast in Parliament on Monday in comments that warned of a higher rate in NSW, where patients would take up 20 per cent of ICU beds, and promised new advice this week on how to make the hospital system more resilient.'
Yet another promise about a 'State' health issue which he has no control over

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...30-p58n94.html
Old 30-08-2021, 03:36   #333
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
On the 19th of August our prime muppet made an announcement.
He announced that from mid September children from 16 years up could get Phizer from 30th August.. much rejoicing in the provinces.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coro...ccine-16-over/

Four days ago he - the Prime Minister for Morrison - announced that the next day there would be yet another announcement and wonder of wonders when the sun rose there was yet another announcement .
12 year and older can get Phizer from mid September!
Happy? The populace is ecstatic! Words just cannot describe the rejoicing!!
https://www.skynews.com.au/australia...f95b7eebea5383

Sadly the rejoicing is short lived.
It would appear there is no Phizer
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...30-p58n0i.html
At the present time no-one in Victoria can book a Phizer shot - all taken - sorry.
So its all a bit of a fizzer - bugger!

You can't believe everything you read in the papers. Sometimes it is better to go to the official government sources and get the truth direct from the horse's mouth.

Who better than head horse himself so I went looking. According to his written word way back on Feb 21, 2021, Australia secured 150 million vaccine doses. Hmm... the population is ~25 million so by my reckoning, that is three times more than we need at the moment. So plenty to go around, no wuckers!

See https://www.pm.gov.au/media/first-covid-19-vaccinations

Yet here we some six months later and still not enough. My conclusion is I was mistaken in thinking I was getting the truth from the head horse's mouth, more likely I was getting horse dung from the head horse's ****.

Won't make that mistake again
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-08-2021, 04:21   #334

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You can't believe everything you read in the papers. Sometimes it is better to go to the official government sources and get the truth direct from the horse's mouth.

Who better than head horse himself so I went looking. According to his written word way back on Feb 21, 2021, Australia secured 150 million vaccine doses. Hmm... the population is ~25 million so by my reckoning, that is three times more than we need at the moment. So plenty to go around, no wuckers!

See https://www.pm.gov.au/media/first-covid-19-vaccinations

Yet here we some six months later and still not enough. My conclusion is I was mistaken in thinking I was getting the truth from the head horse's mouth, more likely I was getting horse dung from the head horse's ****.

Won't make that mistake again
About 50% of the Astra Zenica vaccine which has been purchased is readily available to the states from the federal government.

The cat has been belled as to why the WA border closures have been so often and vigorously applied.

It has been made public that the WA health service is so decrepit that it is already struggling and neglected even with zero covid cases in that state.
Old 30-08-2021, 06:32   #335
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
i could give a damn about who made the vaccine. It's my understanding that they just make your symptoms less by whatever % they tout not the chance of contracting it. It sounds as though even vaccinated you could be typhoid Mary?

I hope that vaccine is what he said it is but somehow doubt it.

Nothing in the data , other then your personal myopia supports what you said in that post

Hospitalisations are running 4:1 with unvaccinated.
Old 30-08-2021, 14:28   #336

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^Above is true as far as it goes, but since there can be breakthrough infection, yes, even vaccinated, a person can transmit the virus while they are incubating it and without symptoms. That is the reason for mask wearing. Once we get past the 80% rate of vaccination, then we won't be able to overwhelm the health care facilities.

Ann
Old 30-08-2021, 15:38   #337
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
^^^Above is true as far as it goes, but since there can be breakthrough infection, yes, even vaccinated, a person can transmit the virus while they are incubating it and without symptoms. That is the reason for mask wearing. Once we get past the 80% rate of vaccination, then we won't be able to overwhelm the health care facilities.

Ann
indeed lets hope so , currently in ireland for example we are at 86% of all adults ( 16+) vaccinated , 90% is the goal
Old 30-08-2021, 15:51   #338

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Nothing in the data , other then your personal myopia supports what you said in that post

Hospitalisations are running 4:1 with unvaccinated.
I got that from my Dr. and I have COPD so having it bad would be lights out.. Believe what you like. Maybe it is because the vaccinated aren't in need of hospitalization. Speaking of myopia is it factual or political?
And please don't make it an attack on someone's intentions.
Old 30-08-2021, 15:57   #339
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
i could give a damn about who made the vaccine. It's my understanding that they just make your symptoms less by whatever % they tout not the chance of contracting it. It sounds as though even vaccinated you could be typhoid Mary?

I hope that vaccine is what he said it is but somehow doubt it.
again the vaccine works, is it perfect , no , but its the only way out of this pandemic without lots of people getting really sick or dying
Old 30-08-2021, 16:01   #340
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 30-08-2021, 16:37   #341

Meanwhile 62% want Australia to open up at 70% vaxxed

From the Guardian
'Morrison’s line has now become “Why wouldn’t people want to open up the country when we hit 70 and 80 per cent?”. And there has been some commentary that his position is politically smart.

But really, the poll conducted for Nine newspapers this week by Resolve Strategic is hardly definitive. Sure, 62% answered yes, but the question they were asked was pretty convoluted: “Some state and territory leaders have suggested they might apply different rules at different times, such as using less severe restrictions once their populations reach 50 per cent vaccination or easing restrictions at 70 and 80 per cent if case numbers are still high. Do you think that each state and territory should stick to the national plan of 70 and 80 per cent or do you think they should have the freedom to decide on their own goals?”

At that point I’m inclined to answer yes just to stop the questioner from talking.'

Old 30-08-2021, 17:06   #342

Meanwhile SA tourists are flocking to Tasmania. In essence, NSW and VIC are closed to them and many are stating they are unsure about QLD ability to remain Covid free (in the short term), WA is too risky (they may get lockdowned for the duration of their holiday period in a nanosecond) so they are jumping on the few direct SA/TAS flights for a mask free eating, drinking and activity filled holiday. All normal businesses are open here and have been for the past year.

Of course it may not last....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-08-2021, 17:09   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
About 50% of the Astra Zenica vaccine which has been purchased is readily available to the states from the federal government.

The cat has been belled as to why the WA border closures have been so often and vigorously applied.

It has been made public that the WA health service is so decrepit that it is already struggling and neglected even with zero covid cases in that state.
I think people in WA have known about it for some time - its just that we in the east have just heard about it.
Old 30-08-2021, 17:13   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

It ain't just WA health, TAS health has been at breaking point (and getting worse) for some time now. Anything more than handful of hospitalised Covid patients will have it in freefall.

So yes, they are very keen down here to keep the moat filled.

For overseas readers, WA & TAS are at the opposite ends of the political spectrum so it ain't politics that is the problem (in this instance).
Old 30-08-2021, 17:45   #345

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I think people in WA have known about it for some time - its just that we in the east have just heard about it.

I believe the WA health system has suffered from the boom and bust nature of the WA economy. Health requires long term financial commitment, not one-off cash injections when mining is good.

Meanwhile, poor old Tasmania is in a similar basket, but without the boom bit. General advice to me from health professionals down here is “Don’t get sick... no... really... don’t!”

Tags
Australia