Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2021, 18:24   #346

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Meanwhile SA tourists are flocking to Tasmania. In essence, NSW and VIC are closed to them and many are stating they are unsure about QLD ability to remain Covid free (in the short term), ..

Due for another outbreak when you let meatheads wags get in while keeping actual QLDers out

Quote:

The Queensland government is facing severe backlash this morning for relaxing border rules to allow NRL players’ wives, girlfriends and families to fly into the state.

That’s despite pausing hotel quarantine for two weeks, leaving thousands of Queenslanders stranded in other states waiting for a hotel booking before being allowed to return.

https://www.mygc.com.au/nrl-wags-flo...rantine-pause/
Old 30-08-2021, 18:29   #347

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I believe the WA health system has suffered from the boom and bust nature of the WA economy. Health requires long term financial commitment, not one-off cash injections when mining is good.
Nah, I'm married to one, they're just absolutely hopeless with money??
Old 30-08-2021, 20:01   #348

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
You can't believe everything you read in the papers. Sometimes it is better to go to the official government sources and get the truth direct from the horse's mouth.

Who better than head horse himself so I went looking. According to his written word way back on Feb 21, 2021, Australia secured 150 million vaccine doses. Hmm... the population is ~25 million so by my reckoning, that is three times more than we need at the moment. So plenty to go around, no wuckers!

See https://www.pm.gov.au/media/first-covid-19-vaccinations

Yet here we some six months later and still not enough. My conclusion is I was mistaken in thinking I was getting the truth from the head horse's mouth, more likely I was getting horse dung from the head horse's ****.

Won't make that mistake again
The Minister for Morrison has just announced that he has 500,000 doses coming from Singapore. Are they part of the 150 mill or are they spares?
Old 30-08-2021, 20:05   #349
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The Minister for Morrison has just announced that he has 500,000 doses coming from Singapore. Are they part of the 150 mill or are they spares?
Probably need to see if they turn up or not - it could just be more horse dung...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-08-2021, 20:12   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Nah, I'm married to one, they're just absolutely hopeless with money??
Here you go, I'll make it easy for you to see who those pesky WA premiers are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a72e627cc7c871172e8f91153de4f8be.png
Views:	110
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	244522  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-08-2021, 20:29   #351

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

Temporary swap. These are getting a bit on the nose, close to Best-before date. Kinda like those discount shops at the cheap end of the shopping centre.

I think we have to give 500,000 fresher does back to Singapore as an early Christmas present.
Old 30-08-2021, 20:31   #352

Quote:
The Minister for Morrison ...

Why don’t you just call him Slo-Mo? Seems kinda appropriate given how he responds to a crisis. Or has that one been used already?
Old 30-08-2021, 21:05   #353

Boat: Island Packet 40

Ah Wotty,

It's not a matter of who is in power it's a matter of who they hire.

It takes years to train a medical professional and no time to train an admin. So if Barnett spent years trying to catch up the deficiency of medical professionals whilst burdened with the cost of Carpenters excess of administrative hires there are no reserves of medical staff to carry any excess cases.

In Australia you always have to be conscious that the major party of the left is owned body and soul by the best organized trade union movement in the world and whilst strong employee representation is good in any state or national political parliamentary entity it does have it's down sides. And, one of the down sides in Australia is that the trade union movement is more a political than a employee representation organization and the power division within it is based entirely on numbers. Consequently, there is a never ending competition to maximize member numbers than to do what is best for the employees they supposedly represent.

One only has to look at the education system to see the long term effects of this concentration on numbers. Whilst Australia's ranking in education quality has declined from the top ten down into the thirties the system has become ever more expensive as the teachers unions have greatly expanded their membership numbers. This has been the trend in all government operated enterprises in Australia.

Trade union leadership is also now predominately lawyers (The sneakiest folks in any society) and far less derived from line employees than it used to be so the quality there has also declined.

Kim Beasly's father was right when he said, "The Australian Labor Party once attracted the cream of the working class but now attracts the dregs of the middle class.". He was right and it's apparent from the handling of the corona virus incident, which is being managed by the left and their cronies in the media in compliance with polls rather than by exercise of leadership by politicians well able to judge and balance the overall needs of Australian society. Modern left wing parties are now extremely deficient of the Keatings, Youngs, Richardsons, etc who once provided a backbone of broadly experienced practical men who once practiced politics for the left in Australia.

Trade union membership used to be around 45% - 50% of all employees it is now down to 11% - 12% however the bloated public services are almost entirely unionized which means they are the prominent influence behind the left wing political leaders running some of the states and have benefited by the lock downs in that whilst getting to laze about at house and doing a bit of gardening or catching up on their reading they have not lost one cent in pay or benefits and in many cases have received increases. This whilst many private sector ventures have gone broke due to the lock downs.
Old 30-08-2021, 21:18   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Why don’t you just call him Slo-Mo? Seems kinda appropriate given how he responds to a crisis. Or has that one been used already?
You make a good point, he is slow when responding to a constituent crisis but give the the bloke due measure, he's bludi fast when responding to a morrison crisis hence the apt moniker 'minster for morrosion' given to him by his mates!

Breaking news in Tassie, previously we have only accepted low risk inbound Pacific Island workers for quarantine purposes and today it being announced we are expecting a 150 poms inbound from the UK some time very soon.
Old 30-08-2021, 21:48   #355

Quote:

Breaking news in Tassie, previously we have only accepted low risk inbound Pacific Island workers for quarantine purposes and today it being announced we are expecting a 150 poms inbound from the UK some time very soon.

Yeah, that one really added to my feeling of joy. Here I am trying to get into South Australia while the borders are open and they added that little chestnut to the fire.

No weather window to get up the east coast until at least Sunday either.
Old 30-08-2021, 23:30   #356

Quote:
You make a good point, he is slow when responding to a constituent crisis but give the the bloke due measure, he's bludi fast when responding to a morrison crisis hence the apt moniker 'minster for morrosion' given to him by his mates!

I believe it came from Gladys or someone close to her.

'He isn't the Prime Minister of NSW, he is the Prime Minister for Morrison'.
Old 31-08-2021, 01:16   #357

Quote:
I believe it came from Gladys or someone close to her.

'He isn't the Prime Minister of NSW, he is the Prime Minister for Morrison'.
I was thinking Gladys was one of his mates - maybe not so much lately!
Old 31-08-2021, 01:30   #358

Quote:
I was thinking Gladys was one of his mates - maybe not so much lately!
She allegedly called him an 'evil bully' .... the PMfM says she says she didn't so she obviously did.
Old 31-08-2021, 02:00   #359

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Australia's death rate has passed Norway and is closing in on Sweden:

Name:	coronavirus-data-explorer(14).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	244526

However, these are micro death rates; basically statistical noise, so doesn't mean much. Death rate of under 0.5 per million is basically nothing; over 1 per million and you start to see some strain on hospitals. Over 10 per million is really bad. UK approached 20 per million at the peak. Maybe good for you guys to know since before now you haven't really experienced the pandemic. You will be getting more experience in the coming weeks.

And here is the good news:

Name:	coronavirus-data-explorer(15).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	244527

Vaccination rate is consistently over 1 per 100 per day -- that is a blistering pace. Keep it up, guys!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 31-08-2021, 02:40   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
However, these are micro death rates; basically statistical noise, so doesn't mean much. Death rate of under 0.5 per million is basically nothing; over 1 per million and you start to see some strain on hospitals. Over 10 per million is really bad. UK approached 20 per million at the peak. Maybe good for you guys to know since before now you haven't really experienced the pandemic. You will be getting more experience in the coming weeks.

Agreed we haven't really experienced the pandemic (so far) and perhaps 50% of us haven't experienced much at all.

However my gut feeling is if we get death rates anywhere near 0.5 per million, our hospitals will be in freefall; that's five times more than currently.

We keep hearing the various health systems have contingency plans but in the past similar promises were never delivered - can't see any reason to believe different this time.

Tags
Australia