Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2021, 22:22   #421

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
You need to work on your numeracy mate. The channel numbers responsible for that all start with 2.

If one wants an example of fear mongering one needs go no further than Anistasia(sic) where she states that all our children are going to die if she opens the borders before every child younger than 12 is immunized.
I agree about Annastacia. She isn't too concerned about refusing to allow a 3 year old to come home to his parents from Griffith NSW.
Lost me when she got Phizer and trotted off to the Olympics. Made it worse when she let in 300 footballers and their roots and hangers on the other day.
Old 01-09-2021, 22:31   #422

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Any chance of a link to that info?

Best I have been able to find is

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...ms-experts-say

and

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...2M7KBWRHFZYXE/

' a possible shortage of supply next month' (Sept).

'said that the speed of vaccinations might come under pressure in the coming weeks as massive demand puts pressure on supplies.'

'During Sunday’s 1pm press briefing, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the Government had just taken a delivery of 320,000 more vaccines, but plans were being drawn up if stocks ran low.

“What our team are working on at the moment are some different scenarios, based on the strategy working about continuing to meet demand,” she said.

The Prime Minister stressed that the government were working on mitigation plans if vaccine quantities ran low

She said the concern wasn’t that New Zealand would run out of vaccines, but said it may be a case of managing demand in some areas.'

Lots of 'if but and maybe' in there.

‘Managing demand’ is political double speak for increasing restrictions on booking vaccination spots. I.e. the current vaccination rate is not sustainable. That is very unfortunate, but with this image-focused leader plain speaking is not an option. Sigh.

As for inept management, here’s a fellow who escaped from quarantine shortly after getting there. I can’t even imagine how we could get out of our Queensland quarantine hotel, other than perhaps asking for replacement bedsheets and tying them together to get 9 floors down from our balcony.

Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Man escapes MIQ in middle of night, police told at 10.30am today
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12469417
Old 01-09-2021, 22:47   #423

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Be glad you have a balcony. Keep the window open, too. The less recycled "air" you breathe, the better.

Ann
Old 01-09-2021, 23:28   #424

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

Why is everyone around the world thinking the vaccine is going to save them , I for one never got sick with covid, and traveled around the usa, I only have a fib and my doctor told me I dont have to take the shot, I am not worried about dying or getting sick, I am 69 and in good health, I have a good immune system and I DONT PANIC? I think logic? Maybe the CCP did this or GOD this this? This is only my thoughts how I see the world, god bless the meek for they shall inherit the world
Old 01-09-2021, 23:53   #425

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjb View Post
Why is everyone around the world thinking the vaccine is going to save them , I for one never got sick with covid, and traveled around the usa, I only have a fib and my doctor told me I dont have to take the shot, I am not worried about dying or getting sick, I am 69 and in good health, I have a good immune system and I DONT PANIC? I think logic? Maybe the CCP did this or GOD this this? This is only my thoughts how I see the world, god bless the meek for they shall inherit the world
So does the term super spreader mean anything to you, you may well have travelled the length and breadth of the USA with covid without becoming sick, but just how many became sick due to your contact?
Also I have to ask just how this connects in any way with AUSTRALIA, perhaps if you read the topic, "The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid", and the concept of keeping your religious views to yourself may well be for the better.
Rant over.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 02-09-2021, 00:28   #426

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjb View Post

Please, please stay away from Australia.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:14   #427

So, been thinking about vaccinations and the slow start. Two things pop out to me.

Firstly, The PM released a plan then sat on his hands. The plan was reasonably clear but the government didn't reach out to the people in the initial phase. The 1A eligible people were left waiting for someone to call. Nursing homes all said this afterwards, they were waiting to be told when and how their residents would be immunized. Kind of obvious but nothing was done to correct it. Most likely because supply was an issue and we were relatively covid free - "It's not a race". This continues to be a problem, eligible people not making a booking but waiting to be told it's your turn.

Secondly, the miss-handling of the TTS side affect was abysmal. The multiple changes in advice from ATAGI and the poor explanation of relative risk has been irreparable.

I have found the following bits of government provided information quite informative:

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/w...since-february

best viewed on a desktop, bit messed up on a phone. This is only for Victoria but is interesting as you can see how Pfizer doses reflect actual supply, while AZ doses reflect the willingness of the eligible population to get that vaccine.

Up until about May 27th all the Pfizer was going to 1A while 1B & 2 were receiving AZ, then 40-49 y.o. were added and shortly afterwards the ATAGI advice changed again, recommending Pfizer for under 60. Lots more Pfizer doses going out then and AZ doses dropped right off.

https://www.health.gov.au/initiative...by-age-and-sex

This is interesting as over 60 is still only eligible for AZ and it has been in abundance so it looks like about 20% of the over 60 population are hanging out for Pfizer despite their risk of hospitalization from TTS being 1/4 that of a 40 y.o. and 1/2 that of a 20 y.o.

Really interested to see how this last graphic changes with time as the under 40s have really only been eligible for a couple of weeks and they are smashing it. We owe it to them, who have given up 18 month of their precious youth so older Australians didn't die in droves.

Thank you under 40s, for your patience and perseverance.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:47   #428

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanngrisnir View Post
So, been thinking about vaccinations and the slow start. Two things pop out to me.

Firstly, The PM released a plan then sat on his hands. The plan was reasonably clear but the government didn't reach out to the people in the initial phase. The 1A eligible people were left waiting for someone to call. Nursing homes all said this afterwards, they were waiting to be told when and how their residents would be immunized.

This is a very good point about the lack of clarity. Just yesterday I asked my partner to remind me how the vaccination went at the nursing home she works at in South Australia. She reminded me that they had been delayed by nearly a month as nobody in government had told them that they’d dropped off the list of nursing homes to be vaccinated. There was a policy change mid way through that dropped all the privately run homes from the list. It was only after the admin staff at her workplace started to get worried about the lack of updates that they went and sought advice, only to be told they were now on their own. Thankfully the place is well run and they managed to secure first doses by April.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:19   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
This is a very good point about the lack of clarity. Just yesterday I asked my partner to remind me how the vaccination went at the nursing home she works at in South Australia. She reminded me that they had been delayed by nearly a month as nobody in government had told them that they’d dropped off the list of nursing homes to be vaccinated. There was a policy change mid way through that dropped all the privately run homes from the list. It was only after the admin staff at her workplace started to get worried about the lack of updates that they went and sought advice, only to be told they were now on their own. Thankfully the place is well run and they managed to secure first doses by April.
Privately run? So Federal supervision?

How you say - Feds 'I thought you were looking after it?' State 'No its your responsibility' 'No its not' ' yes it is!' and so on ....
That was a true flock of ducks - or - if you prefer - a clusterduck.

I find this a handy site to see how things are going by age group in Oz - I find it very reassuring.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/c...28-p56xht.html
Old 02-09-2021, 02:26   #430
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I find this a handy site to see how things are going by age group in Oz - I find it very reassuring.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/c...28-p56xht.html
It's not a race, mate...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-09-2021, 02:39   #431

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Nursing homes vaccination was organised federally rather than via the states.
Vaccination could not be booked. Nursing homes just had to sit and wait until a team arrived.

One problem was lack of back up members in the teams. If one was off sick then the entire session was cancelled and the home was put at the end of the list. For some unlucky residents it meant they were not vaccinated until June.

It was annoying hearing the PM blaming the delays due to “lack of permission” to vaccinate the residents.

The vast majority all the deaths with COVID-19 in Victoria has been in nursing homes (655 of 822), yet this vulnerable group has not been vaccinated with any urgency .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 02-09-2021, 03:05   #432

Boat: Island Packet 40

You folks are slow learners.

The PM can call his national cabinet meetings and try to get a coordinated response from the states. However once it comes to action on the ground he is relatively helpless. The states control what happens in health matters within their boundaries.

The PM can buy and dump a mountain of vacines onto each of the states but cannot order them to pump one dose of it into anyone's arm. This is why the great disparity between the states regarding the vacination status of each state's populations.

My prediction is that they will force the federal authorities to go to the High Court to prise the borders open and then run a campaign of SCOMO KILLED YOUR GRANDMA every time someone dies.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:12   #433

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:

The PM can call his national cabinet meetings and try to get a coordinated response from the states. However once it comes to action on the ground he is relatively helpless. The states control what happens in health matters within their boundaries.
This is not entirely correct.

The commonwealth health department has been responsible for vaccinating aged and disability care residents. The responsibility has been firmly on the PM’s shoulders, not the state premiers’.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 02-09-2021, 03:39   #434

Private aged care in Australia comes under the Federal government.

This where the home owners drive Maseratis ( and are big donors to the LNP) , the inmates live on Kraft processed cheese in stale white bread sandwiches and the staff have to run three jobs because the pay is so poor.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...ding/100068128

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...covid-response

and then there is Colbeck
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...een-vaccinated

who is just abysmal
Old 02-09-2021, 03:48   #435

Quote:

The PM can buy and dump a mountain of vacines onto each of the states but cannot order them to pump one dose of it into anyone's arm. This is why the great disparity between the states regarding the vacination status of each state's populations.

My prediction is that they will force the federal authorities to go to the High Court to prise the borders open and then run a campaign of SCOMO KILLED YOUR GRANDMA every time someone dies.
The vaccination program is - as I have stated before - run at two levels , state and federal. The latter seems very hard to get info from but includes GPs and 'Respiratory Clinics' - whatever they may be.

Tags
Australia