Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 22:52   #766
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
And the next thing one hears hot off the inet is that the virus did not come out of China at all. Rupert cooked it up in the kitchen of his apartment overlooking Central Park and let it loose to provide copy for his publishing empire.

Baaaard Rupert.

And the nation which inhabits a little island off the coast of Europe and which created a collection of large and small but most persistently great democracies in various places around the world will be again free of the massive, stultifying, anti democratic, Brussels, bureaucracy and free to return to it's innovative ways.

Nigel is that you.
Old 12-09-2021, 23:56   #767

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
If I were in my 60’s in NSW I’d be hiding in a bunker.

I'll have you know that I resemble that remark.................

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 13-09-2021, 00:40   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
Well who is to benefit from all this virus stuff? China , i dont think so , Rupert who knows. May be we will only see when they switch on the microchips that we all by then have willingly taken in a year or two.

I love all these stories , keeps me entertained in sunny beautiful northern QLD.

I wish I knew....we may never know. What if it’s not a crime? just a natural development like Polio, measles, chicken pox or Hendra virus
Old 13-09-2021, 01:10   #769

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I wish I knew....we may never know. What if it’s not a crime? just a natural development like Polio, measles, chicken pox or Hendra virus
Not a chance in hell. Natural?????????

If that ever comes out , what will all the TV stations and reporters report if not covid.
Even on a cruising forum we talk more about covid then sailing issues.

Covid needs to stay and needs to be a mistery for ever.
Old 13-09-2021, 01:27   #770
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Not a chance in hell. Natural?????????

If that ever comes out , what will all the TV stations and reporters report if not covid.
Even on a cruising forum we talk more about covid then sailing issues.

Covid needs to stay and needs to be a mistery for ever.
I normally refrain from correcting typos but in this instance I'm unsure if you mean misery or mystery - or perhaps both
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-09-2021, 01:44   #771

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I normally refrain from correcting typos but in this instance I'm unsure if you mean misery or mystery - or perhaps both
A misery it is only for people that live in other states than QLD. A Mystery it has to stay for a very long time.
Old 13-09-2021, 01:50   #772

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Aspects of COVID-19 may remain a mystery, but they won’t remain a misery if Australia stops “following medical advice” when it comes to the overall handling of the pandemic rather than just following it specifically regarding medical management.

These comments on Sunday from Aussie Waleed Aly, broadcaster and academic (lawyer), echo my sentiments:

“It’s “not the job” of politicians to blindly follow “health advice” in their Covid-19 responses.

“I think one of the more maddening aspects of our pandemic politics is that we’ve watched leader after leader get up and say, ‘We’re just following the health advice,’” he said, as he was asked about NSW’s reopening road map.

“We as a country have said, ‘That’s great, that’s exactly what you should do,’ but actually that’s not the job of a politician. A politician’s job is not to follow health advice. Their job is to take health advice, consider it, place it in its proper context with a whole suite of other imperatives that are non-health imperatives as well as health imperatives, and then come to a decision.”

Host David Speers suggested that “some would say you look after health, the rest will flow” because “the economy will only work if we look after the health front.”
“That’s true to an extent,” Aly replied.
“But let me paint another ridiculous scenario. You could have zero deaths and zero hospitalisations by a permanent lockdown. No one thinks that’s a good idea. There is a health argument for that, but it becomes a bad idea because you consider other factors.

Health advice is not policy advice. What health advisors should be doing is saying, ‘Here are the outcomes if you do this. Here’s what will happen if you do that, we think.’

Then it is up to politicians to decide what consequences they are prepared to live with on behalf of the people. There is no health advice that can give you an answer on what an acceptable level of death is. That’s good not a health advice question, that’s a political and ethical question.”

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...741b00186cabba

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 13-09-2021, 02:10   #773
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Remember this is the first pandemic of this nature in living history. Everyone will no doubt analyse the outcomes in detail over the next few years. Things will be done differently if it happens again
Old 13-09-2021, 02:22   #774

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It was a coming together of Germany's BioNTech and US Big Pharma..
Who invented the Pfizer/BioNTech covid vaccine?
BioNTech CEO Dr Ugur Sahin and his wife Özlem Türeci have been hailed as the inventors behind the covid vaccine.
Not exactly investors, as both were far from rich (actually their parent were poor immigrants). Just smart people who founded Biontech with other people's money to develop mRNA into useful medicine.

They created the Corminaty vaccine up to phase 1 clinical testing, and entered a partnership with Pfizer for field testing, production and logistics support for this particular vaccine. Back then Biontech itself had no large mass production facilities.

Why Biontech allowed their workbench Pfizer to prominently print their name on the vaccine is beyond me. Maybe to get better market acceptance. Maybe it was the price to pay to get priority access to production facilities.

Any way my Biontech shares had a nice run, much better than my Pfizer shares!

Situation in Germany (I guess most countries in the EU) seems different compared to Australia.
Availability of all vaccines outpaces demand by a large margin. Vaccination has mostly come to a halt here (66% vaccinated across all ages, over age 60 it's 83%). Some people don't want it for one reason or another. Given the low risk I would not get vaccinated at age 25, but I am not 25 so not really a choice.

Anyone who wants a jab can visit the doctor or vaccination centers, just choose your favourite flavour.
Except AZ. AZ is no longer used due to zero demand for it. Germany is giving away all AZ to the Covax initiative. I guess most will end up in a landfill in some 3rd world country.
Old 13-09-2021, 02:37   #775

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
……Everyone will no doubt analyse the outcomes in detail over the next few years. Things will be done differently if it happens again
I hope so!

Regarding pandemic policies, some countries such as Australia seem to either have never formulated a specific plan (as opposed to the wooly objectives of the 232 page Australian Health Management Plan for Pandemic Influenza issued in August 2019) or they have decided it was political suicide to follow the plan so they gave up all responsibility and put it in the hands of individual medical advisors. You don’t need hindsight to know this is a seriously bad policy.

SWL

The Australian Health Management Plan for Pandemic Influenza:
https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/519F9392797E2DDCCA257D47001B9948/$File/w-AHMPPI-2019.PDF

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 13-09-2021, 02:44   #776
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Not exactly investors, as both were far from rich (actually their parent were poor immigrants). Just smart people who founded Biontech with other people's money to develop mRNA into useful medicine.

They created the Corminaty vaccine up to phase 1 clinical testing, and entered a partnership with Pfizer for field testing, production and logistics support for this particular vaccine. Back then Biontech itself had no large mass production facilities.

Why Biontech allowed their workbench Pfizer to prominently print their name on the vaccine is beyond me. Maybe to get better market acceptance. Maybe it was the price to pay to get priority access to production facilities.

Any way my Biontech shares had a nice run, much better than my Pfizer shares!

Situation in Germany (I guess most countries in the EU) seems different compared to Australia.
Availability of all vaccines outpaces demand by a large margin. Vaccination has mostly come to a halt here (66% vaccinated across all ages, over age 60 it's 83%). Some people don't want it for one reason or another. Given the low risk I would not get vaccinated at age 25, but I am not 25 so not really a choice.

Anyone who wants a jab can visit the doctor or vaccination centers, just choose your favourite flavour.
Except AZ. AZ is no longer used due to zero demand for it. Germany is giving away all AZ to the Covax initiative. I guess most will end up in a landfill in some 3rd world country.
Inventors rarely invest past the initial research/test model.. They look to overseas deep pockets and for the resulting shareholders like yourself who go on to slate non profit competition for personal/political gain..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 13-09-2021, 02:58   #777

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I hope so!

Regarding pandemic policies, some countries such as Australia seem to either have never formulated a specific plan (as opposed to the wooly objectives of the 232 page Australian Health Management Plan for Pandemic Influenza issued in August 2019) or they have decided it was political suicide to follow the plan so they gave up all responsibility and put it in the hands of individual medical advisors. You don’t need hindsight to know this is a seriously bad policy.

SWL
That's an easy one to answer.

It would not matter if the commonwealth government had hired every expert in the world to compile the finest pandemic response plan ever devised, the state premiers have control of the medical delivery systems and state borders for their political purposes and there was no way they were going to cooperate with the federal government on any plan or program.

The latest example of Dangerous Dan's political perfidy.

DD has been on national TV accusing the PM of "blindsiding" him on the extra doses of vaccine Scomo has just allocated. The outright lie that this is is indicated by a letter sent to thank the PM for the extra doses by his health minister a couple of days before his "blindsides" interview.

And for those who like to quote The Age as a reliable source of info on DDs behavior, I'm looking forward to the link where they held him accountable for this implied slander.

Also, having tamed the dog walking grandmas and anarchist pregnant mothers he has now started on the skate boarders and they are placing concrete blocks on the skate parks.
Old 13-09-2021, 04:39   #778

Quote:
A misery it is only for people that live in other states than QLD. A Mystery it has to stay for a very long time.

As a born and breed banana-bender, having lived from Coolangatta to the Torres Straits (including west to the Isa) and having run my rhumb lines all over the GBR, I wouldn't my trade my current home port south of 43S for all the tea in china.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-09-2021, 04:52   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The latest example of Dangerous Dan's political perfidy.

DD has been on national TV accusing the PM of "blindsiding" him on the extra doses of vaccine Scomo has just allocated. The outright lie that this is is indicated by a letter sent to thank the PM for the extra doses by his health minister a couple of days before his "blindsides" interview.

Source??

Best I can find at short notice is https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...a720a20d4dc83c

but it mentions nothing about a thank you letter and stops well short of 'outright lie'.

Not that I am surprised by any pollie lying.
Old 13-09-2021, 05:16   #780

Looks like the school captain (Scotty) got a D.
https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/09/13...2nGvf_wXwYf9oY

Tags
Australia