Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2021, 05:02   #811

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
France has accused US President Joe Biden of acting like his predecessor, Donald Trump, after Paris was pushed aside, from a lucrative defence deal that it had signed with Australia.

Foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian’s comments on Thursday came a day after the United States, United Kingdom and Australia announced they would establish a security partnership for the Indo-Pacific that will help Australia acquire US nuclear-powered [not nuc' armed] submarines.

More ➥
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...submarine-deal
Bonzer bit of vaccine strollout defence from Scotty - 'Look! - over there! - the yellow peril! - stand back! I'll save you!'

Australia does not have a good track record with subs - with the sole exception of the O's and the poms built them for us.
Building our own subs? we have no track record at all... did someone say Collins????
Old 16-09-2021, 05:24   #812

Boat: Island Packet 40

Well occasionally the WA police arrest the right people and as yet their defense attorneys are not all police informers but I've no doubt that without a change of government within a couple of terms they will degenerate to arresting dog walking grandmas and pregnant mothers.

I have no doubt that Australians can build and operate nuclear submarines the same way we manage everything else we put out minds to and it's a decision which should have been made about forty years ago.

Australia has had a nuclear weapons capability since the sixties but why waste money building weapons which really have no realistic military value and it's extremely unlikely that we would ever bother making them.

France does not have a good record of delivering weapons, Israel is still waiting for Mystere fighters they bought and paid for decades ago and had to steal patrol boats to get delivery.
Old 16-09-2021, 11:13   #813

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
France has accused US President Joe Biden of acting like his predecessor, Donald Trump, after Paris was pushed aside, from a lucrative defence deal that it had signed with Australia.

Foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian’s comments on Thursday came a day after the United States, United Kingdom and Australia announced they would establish a security partnership for the Indo-Pacific that will help Australia acquire US nuclear-powered [not nuc' armed] submarines.

More ➥
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...submarine-deal
Good let the Aussies have all the SSNs they want. The world would be a safer place.
Old 16-09-2021, 13:48   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
they will degenerate to arresting dog walking grandmas and pregnant mothers.
You are starting to sound like my parrot. I'm surprised you didn't mention what the police are doing this weekend in Melbourne - far more interesting.
Old 16-09-2021, 14:28   #815

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
You are starting to sound like my parrot. I'm surprised you didn't mention what the police are doing this weekend in Melbourne - far more interesting.
If you want to know what will happen in Melbourne on Saturday just watch some footage from Hong Kong say a year ago.
Dan the commi is just following instructions from Beijing.

We have heard that Tassie is now going over to join NZL but how can we get rid of Victoria?

We clearly have identified that we do need nuclear subs ( with CURRENTLY) no nuclear weapons to defend ourselves from China but Victoria is China , so how do we manage to get rid of Vic?
Old 16-09-2021, 15:45   #816

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Nuclear subs built in Adelaide?
Thats up there with the Argentines converting their diesel electric subs to nuclear - true story ---

Anyway - never going to happen in our lifetimes but the announcement has served its purpose - pissing orf the CCP.
what i cannot understand is why anyone would think it's a good idea to piss off our biggest neighbour AND biggest trading partner ?

and then spend countless billions on unnecessary toys to do it

talk about a loose / loose

cheers,
Old 16-09-2021, 16:46   #817

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
... did someone say Collins????
Back in my IT days, any half arsed kludge to keep a server running for the rest of the day was referred to as a Collins Class solution.
Old 16-09-2021, 17:28   #818

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
what i cannot understand is why anyone would think it's a good idea to piss off our biggest neighbour AND biggest trading partner ?

cheers,

Old 16-09-2021, 17:34   #819

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Is that a loose, loose cannon? or a lose/lose situation? or both???
Old 16-09-2021, 18:59   #820

Quote:

cheers,
Better to just sit back and after the dragon has eaten all the small pacific nations including New Zealand wait for them to come for us?
Old 16-09-2021, 19:33   #821

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Is that a loose, loose cannon? or a lose/lose situation? or both???
oh dear...i new i should have payd more attentun in spelling class...

cheers,
Old 16-09-2021, 19:53   #822
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:

cheers,

Yes we will sorely miss all that cheap Sh$t that falls apart within a few days of buying it - Reducing the consumption of such stuff would be a major benefit and having just sailed up the West Coast of Australia there is NO shortage of Chinese Ore and Gas ships collecting around the clock and taking back to China - I counted 64 in Port Hedland and that was just one of the many ports up the Coast.

Or do you think we should roll over for the economic coercion that the Chinese are applying to Australia - Bit like the coercion for vaccines really......
Old 16-09-2021, 20:06   #823

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
I'd move your parrot away from the TV if I was you. With the constant repetition of the dog walking grandma and pregnant woman harassment and similar being on the news all the time the parrot is bound to pick some of it up.
Old 16-09-2021, 20:38   #824

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:

Exactly.

As a cruiser, I think gun-boat diplomacy that pretends to be 'freedom of navigation operations' is a joke.

Neither of the three occupants of small islands and sandbars in the South China Sea (meaning People's Republic of China, Republic of China pretending to be Taiwan or vice versa, and Viet Nam) has prevented commercial shipping or recreational cruising. Surface and submerged gun-boats, including ones bristling with antennas, are in a different category.

Then there's the blight just splashed over the contractual/commercial record of the Australian government. Abbott pissed off the Japanese after hinting that he'd buy Japanese subs. Now Morrison has pissed off the French after signing a contract and inducing Aus contractors to invest in skills and equipment to interface with the Naval Group of France.

So what hope for the future of the Aus govt purchasing any major military hardware if any future Aus govt spurns the US subs?

Three snubs and you're out.

Morrison seems also to have discounted volatility and dynamics in the US political system. No odds of a change of US president in 2024 or changes in the US Congress in 2022?
Old 16-09-2021, 22:08   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Yes we will sorely miss all that cheap Sh$t that falls apart within a few days of buying it - Reducing the consumption of such stuff would be a major benefit and having just sailed up the West Coast of Australia there is NO shortage of Chinese Ore and Gas ships collecting around the clock and taking back to China - I counted 64 in Port Hedland and that was just one of the many ports up the Coast.

Or do you think we should roll over for the economic coercion that the Chinese are applying to Australia - Bit like the coercion for vaccines really......
i was actually thinking of the us$100 billion or so that we sell to them each year (all those ships you saw aren't just there for their health...)

that revenue supports the lifestyle to which we have become accustomed and without it, where will the cash come to pay for everything ?

on the otherhand we export less than us$10 billion to usa...

if we have to choose, i know which one i'd pick

cheers,

Tags
Australia