Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2021, 22:15   #826

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

by the way, recently i have obtained video of a top-secret government planning meeting at which the defence of australia was decided

i'll put the link here...but promise me that you would let anyone else see it, ok !

cheers,
Old 16-09-2021, 22:44   #827

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i was actually thinking of the us$100 billion or so that we sell to them each year (all those ships you saw aren't just there for their health...)

that revenue supports the lifestyle to which we have become accustomed and without it, where will the cash come to pay for everything ?
We're going to need China to keep buying that US$100 billion a year.

First we have to pay what we owe to France and the Naval Group.

Second we have to recompense Aus firms who were tooling up to work with the Naval Group.

Then we can consider the bill about to be presented by the US.

Which will sort of amount to needing to sell Aus dirt to China so we can use Chinese gold to pay Uncle Sam, so we can use US subs to join Uncle Sam in gun-boat monstering of China just off the coast of China!

Goodness knows how long the Collins class subs can be disassembled and rebuilt. Or when Aus submariners will be trained on US subs. Or when the first US sub might arrive and be home ported somewhere near you.
Old 16-09-2021, 23:24   #828

Boat: Island Packet 40

One only has to take a look at the escalation which has already occurred in the French sub fiasco to realize that we were had and were going to have to accept a right royal screwing from the French on the submarine deal and I suspect they were already well in breach of contract and have yet to buy the first bolt for what are obsolete sub designs before they are beyond first draft in the computer file.

It was a mad scheme to try to fit US designed and built combat systems into a French designed and built vessel in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with the Collins class subs except they are not the best tool for deep ocean work in being diesel electric with all it's limitations. I think we should continue with a son of Collins design as coastal defense subs to operate in shallow water where land based air cover and anti submarine capabilities are effective which would include the Indonesian and Philippines archipelagos and the Australian coastline and use the nukes in the Pacific and Indian oceans.

Of more interest on nuclear matters is an article on page 11 of today's The Australian wherein it states that china is firing up it's first LFTR R&D reactor this month.
Old 17-09-2021, 00:12   #829
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i was actually thinking of the us$100 billion or so that we sell to them each year (all those ships you saw aren't just there for their health...)

that revenue supports the lifestyle to which we have become accustomed and without it, where will the cash come to pay for everything ?

on the otherhand we export less than us$10 billion to usa...

if we have to choose, i know which one i'd pick

cheers,

As I said the Chinese ships are not stopping over some little spat which has been ongoing for quite a while now or even Covid - Sail this way and you will see what I mean.

Don't forget about all the facial recognition hardware and software they are selling to the Aussie Gov - Hopefully that will stop

I have done a LOT of business with Chinese companies over the years and can tell you its not a trading partner that you really want if you can find ANYONE else and you know what they say about necessity..... So it may well have a silver lining if it goes pear shaped, but somehow I feel this is all just political blustering and coercion.
Old 17-09-2021, 00:38   #830

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
As I said the Chinese ships are not stopping over some little spat which has been ongoing for quite a while now or even Covid - Sail this way and you will see what I mean.

Don't forget about all the facial recognition hardware and software they are selling to the Aussie Gov - Hopefully that will stop

I have done a LOT of business with Chinese companies over the years and can tell you its not a trading partner that you really want if you can find ANYONE else and you know what they say about necessity..... So it may well have a silver lining if it goes pear shaped, but somehow I feel this is all just political blustering and coercion.
Ufo, there is not that mutch that I aree you about that but this is one, it will be a rocky road for while but it will but it will work out.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 17-09-2021, 01:07   #831

Boat: Westerly Sealord

On the subject of submarines it could be worse - it could be a whole lot worse.
This idea first drew breath in about 2008

https://nbn.business/argentina-evalu...ear-submarine/
Old 17-09-2021, 09:17   #832

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Let's get back on topic!
I'll stir the pot for you guys.

Old 17-09-2021, 16:36   #833

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
Let's get back on topic!
I'll stir the pot for you guys.

Not sure what you mean but what is the end game?

It's just a camp , well my birthcountry said that in 1940 , is just a camp.

History does repeat i think i said that before here.
Old 17-09-2021, 16:43   #834

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Back to Covid...FDA rejects booster shots for under 65 because of risks of cardiomyopathy. So now what...vaccines are not as good thus needing booster after booster. ....and it causes cardiomyopathy as well as 13000 deaths from vaccinatons according to VAERS.
I guess we will be on lockdown forever.
Abe
Old 17-09-2021, 16:44   #835

Let's ask another question here.

Australia could not buy a decent vaccine for their population , well **** can happen so let us go past that point.

All our friends in the world well they first looked after themselves. Fair enough.

I finally got my Pfizer dose , where did it come from? Europe.

Where was our number one friend the mighty Joe Biden? Not to come to the help when your friend is in need shows you are not a friend.

But now we are quite happy to buy Joe's nuclear subs for more money then what it wouyd have cost us to buy decent vaccines for our people.

Has someone actually done the math here? do we really think we would be able to put a dent into chinas military if it would ever come to that? How about we do TRADE instead of feeding a war machine. Even if these subs never eventuate , words are generally the start of a war , long before the first bullet is ever fired. Words have started wars. Scomo is good at that.
Old 17-09-2021, 16:57   #836

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
-------
Has someone actually done the math here? do we really think we would be able to put a dent into chinas military if it would ever come to that? How about we do TRADE instead of feeding a war machine. Even if these subs never eventuate , words are generally the start of a war , long before the first bullet is ever fired. Words have started wars. Scomo is good at that.
Scomo will start a war with NZ before he starts one with China.

It doesn't get much attention in the OZ media but he has - in recent times - been poking them with a stick more times than is healthy. He has never forgiven them for sacking him from that tourism job.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...ate-delta.html

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...33OJ5V3NSF2BI/
( calling them a 'region' isn't healthy - its not as if they are Taiwan.
Old 17-09-2021, 17:11   #837

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

It doesn't get much attention in the OZ media but he has - in recent times - been poking them with a stick more times than is healthy. He has never forgiven them for sacking him from that tourism job.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...ate-delta.html

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...33OJ5V3NSF2BI/
( calling them a 'region' isn't healthy - its not as if they are Taiwan.
With that fruitcake Jacinda it is absolutely possible that we go to war with NZL but that is only after Jacinda has made it mandatory for women to wear a headscarf.
Old 17-09-2021, 18:27   #838

Boat: Island Packet 40

Had my second AZ shot yesterday and I have not fallen off the perch yet, maybe tomorrow.

Annual medical stuff finished on Monday and I can then start to drift South for the cyclone season in the Great Sandy Straits. Fortunately, whilst the Queensland government are enthusiastic border closers they are not lock-down addicts like Dangerous Dan and there's a fair chance I'll make it all the way south before the official cyclone season starts.

Whoever designed Queensland for cruising did a great job. There are plenty of anchorages allowing day sailing: about 50 nm is the longest day sail with lit entries to the anchorages at both ends, a nice long protective reef to keep out the Pacific Ocean swells and cities spread fairly evenly if you need goods or services. In addition lots of islands to keep the vistas interesting and plenty of mountains on the mainland to nicely frame the whole thing.
Old 17-09-2021, 19:21   #839

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

https://youtu.be/Iv8bkYKbMo0
Old 17-09-2021, 21:15   #840
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Still relevant

And the PMfPM should take note - a day off for a Jab would win the day!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence

Tags
Australia