Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2021, 14:06   #886

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Shudav kept their masks up if they were going to knock down that old sheila and then spray her in the face when she was down.

Now seriously at risk of being on the end of a damn good thrashing in a dark alley when off duty. They weren't to know that her two sons are vicious thugs.
Old 19-09-2021, 14:55   #887

Boat: Island Packet 40

When I was young police in Queensland did not carry guns unlike NSW and Victoria. Eventually the police union was able to convince the government that Queenslands police were seriously disadvantaged in relation to the southern brothers in that they were obliged to ineffectual exercises of thuggery with their bare fists whereas their southern brothers could very effectively pistol whip miscreants with their sidearms. The Queensland government accepted the argument and consequently their police were issued with hand guns.

Initially these were .38 police specials but it was found that they did not carry enough weight and resulted in muscle strain. A special addition .44 magnum chambered for .38 ammunition was then produced and these were found to have sufficient heft to produce similar results to a baseball bat. A massive increase in back related compensation claims from hefting the damned things around resulted but these were found to be acceptable considering the improvement in policing in Queensland.

Moreton Bay is one endless sand pit with hardly a navigable channel from one end to the other and some nasty scrubby little, mined out barrier islands populated by the urban dross of nearby Brisbane.

Whereas The Great Sandy Straits and Hervey Bay and the Whitsunday's and Shoalwater Bay provide some of the finest and most interesting cruising grounds on the entire coast of the continent.

My experience in travelling south down the Queensland coast is that once one crosses the Wide Bay bar life becomes metaphorically short, nasty and brutal.
Old 19-09-2021, 15:30   #888

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Some of the best cruising grounds on the QLD coast.
Better than Fraser imho
Better than Shitsundays imho

That has nothing to do with the cruising grounds

On our shake down cruise for our current vessel we got stuck at the Keppels with a broken water pump">raw water pump and a sheared terminal stud on the windlass motor.

Didn't make the area any less appealing.
Point taken. If i go back south i will have another look at it for sure but hard for me to believe it is better than the Whitsundays or the area from Hamilton Island to Townsville so far.

Can always have a second look , does not hurt.
Old 19-09-2021, 15:38   #889

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Moreton Bay is one endless sand pit with hardly a navigable channel from one end to the other
Not a problem if you know what you are doing
We draw 7.5ft and haven't unintentionally touched bottom once though the spot we went through today has lost 2 ft of depth compared to this time last year.
Some of our favourite anchorages show up as land on the charts, so rarely get neighbours

Quote:
Whereas The Great Sandy Straits and Hervey Bay
Same as Moreton bay but with a persistent roll hooking around from the north and a lot less facilities

Quote:
and the Whitsunday's and Shoalwater Bay provide some of the finest and most interesting cruising grounds on the entire coast of the continent.
You must like plenty of boats parked all around you
Big detraction for me

Shoalwater bay is good, when the yanks arent blowing it up

Townsville north is great as well
Old 19-09-2021, 15:43   #890

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Some of the best cruising grounds on the QLD coast.

Better than Fraser imho

Better than Shitsundays imho

That has nothing to do with the cruising grounds

On our shake down cruise for our current vessel we got stuck at the Keppels with a broken raw water pump and a sheared terminal stud on the windlass motor.

Didn't make the area any less appealing.

Different strokes for different folks. Moreton Bay, the inland waterways to the Gold Coast, Great Sandy Straights are all brown water cruising with a high proportion of motoring. Give me the open clear water further north any day.

One problem with the Hervey Bay side of Fraser Island - too many whales. You know you’re getting blasé when your partner says ‘Whales cruising past to port’, you ask ‘are they breaching?’, they say ‘no, just swimming along’, and you say ‘OK then, I’ll continue trimming my toe nails’. Sigh
Old 19-09-2021, 15:50   #891

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Moreton Bay, the inland waterways to the Gold Coast, Great Sandy Straights are all brown water cruising with a high proportion of motoring. Give me the open clear water further north any day.
Dont put Moreton bay into the brown water category
The waters from peel Island north are quite clear and Peel is pretty much our cut off line unless we absolutely have to .
I can see the bottom now in 14ft under our 7.5ft draft
Old 19-09-2021, 16:27   #892
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjb View Post
Australia should go back as a penal colony, IF YOU DONT LIKE FREEDOM?
Sorry to bust your bubble but you really need to educate yourself.

Australia rates much higher in human freedom index than USA. In fact the USA doesn't even make the top 10.

Quote:
The ten countries with the highest human freedom indexes (the freest countries in the world) are:

New Zealand 8.88
Switzerland 8.82
Hong Kong 8.81
Canada 8.65
Australia 8.62
Denmark 8.56
Luxembourg 8.56
Finland 8.53
Germany 8.53
Ireland 8.52
https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...dex-by-country

But don't just take one source -
https://www.google.com/search?q=whic...client=gws-wiz
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 19-09-2021, 16:51   #893

Quote:

Shoalwater bay is good the best, when the yanks arent blowing it up

Townsville north is great as well
There, fixed it for you

The lack of coastal development makes for better cruising IMHO.

Nothing wrong with Moreton Bay though, if one doesn't like it one year, come back the next and find all the new shallow spots channels
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 19-09-2021, 21:32   #894

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Sorry to bust your bubble but you really need to educate yourself.

Australia rates much higher in human freedom index than USA. In fact the USA doesn't even make the top 10.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...dex-by-country

But don't just take one source -
https://www.google.com/search?q=whic...client=gws-wiz
I like to see that list in say 6 month time , see whetherm australia is slipping now.
Old 19-09-2021, 21:48   #895

Moreton Bay and the inland water ways down to Southport would be much nicer places rendered devoid of power boating ratbags in massive gin palaces. And Southport would improve with a few fewer helicopters.
Old 19-09-2021, 22:21   #896

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Moreton Bay and the inland water ways down to Southport would be much nicer places rendered devoid of power boating ratbags in massive gin palaces. And Southport would improve with a few fewer helicopters.
Goes without saying, RaymondR!

I cherish memories of Moreton Bay in the 1970s for exactly those reasons.

My father's generation had fond memories of Moreton Bay, including what to me were almost unloveable parts of the Bay such as Day's Gutter, from 1930s - 1941. Story is that while sitting in Changi, as unwilling guests of Dai Nippon, each of them would take a turn to retell their idealised memories of each and every weekend (whether it included squalls or not) sailing and fishing in Moreton Bay.

My mother, on the other hand, had horrible memories of the loss of 12 other Army nurses. She had trained with most of them. They were (with I think one exception) lost when AHS Centaur was torpedoed by a Nipponese sub off-shore from Moreton Bay.
Old 19-09-2021, 23:26   #897

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Oh, and don't forget the mobs of jet skis, travelling in groups of 30+ ripping about, or the paraglider boats who believe they have "right of way" over everyone when they have a tourist up, or the thrill ride boats doing spin-out turns next to anchored boats.

Yes, there's so much to love about the area, especially the Southport part. Yeah, I know, that's not really Moreton Bay... but they are joined at the hip!

Jim
Old 20-09-2021, 00:24   #898

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Oh, and don't forget the mobs of jet skis, travelling in groups of 30+ ripping about, or the paraglider boats who believe they have "right of way" over everyone when they have a tourist up, or the thrill ride boats doing spin-out turns next to anchored boats.

Yes, there's so much to love about the area, especially the Southport part. Yeah, I know, that's not really Moreton Bay... but they are joined at the hip!

Jim
Why Jim, you seem to know all the players, I can just see you up on the paraglider.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 20-09-2021, 01:57   #899

The latest from Dangerous Dan's banana republic.

Anti lock down protest --- grandma gets knocked down and pepper sprayed by black shirted police. (Blackshirt, Italian Camicia Nera, plural Camicie Nere, member of any of the armed squads of Italian Fascists under Benito Mussolini, who wore black shirts as part of their uniform)

CFMEU Union protest ------ no police, no brutality, no pepper spray.
Old 20-09-2021, 02:16   #900

Quote:

CFMEU Union protest ------ no police, no brutality, no pepper spray.
Good one RayR!

Guess you missed the bit where the police riot squad was called in today.
Plenty of vision on the media but maybe not the one you are watching...

Here is one of the tamer ones.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...5-c1658adc4406

or

jump to 0.22

Tags
Australia